Spartan Camp #121 - 50 gestures + Optional "Animal Anatomy Study"

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,649 Times in 676 Posts
    Follows
    Following

The aim is to produce 50 gestures by Sunday the 10th of January.

- The gestures can be of anything, human, animal, cavorting capybaras.... You can draw full figures, but you can also go for heads, arms, eyes, or anything specific. All media can be used, both digital or traditional. Coloured or black/white. Quick scribbles or long studies. Imagination or referenced. Clothed or nude. Specifics are up to you!

- In addition to this, participants can choose to do an Optional "Animal Anatomy Study", in any medium.
    Additional notes on this weeks’ Optional Study: To take a little break from the (usual) human side. Could be anything; some animal gestures, skeletal study, a long study, your dog. Balance, weight, functionality, movement and anything else you consider when drawing the human figure applies to animals too. Could prove to be an interesting study! Colour, medium, time frame, any specifics are up to you! Have fun!

50 poses is a challenge, but don't hurry or stress yourself reaching it! Focus on drawing, as practising is the main goal of this exercise.

Critting each other is highly encouraged!! Share constructive criticism, reference and resources!! Let's help each other get better!

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

HALL OF FAME - SPARTAN CAMP #120

Yuki slider
    shiNIN
    Alien Ape Star
    bakadoodle
    in2eternity
    ggnastist
    Anthis
    Ananda C
    aprat

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've always hated doing 'studies' or copies of other peoples art. It always feels like cheating or stealing. Naively I believed that somehow if I kept drawing I would eventually learn to draw well. It occurs to me now that there is no such thing as a 'weekend artist'. You can't just do it a couple hours a week and expect to improve. Even more so than say a foreign language, if you aren't constantly using it you lose it... fast. My normal routine was I would get bored with whatever else I was doing and decide to draw some to kill time. After a couple days to a week I would get frustrated or bored and move on to something else for weeks or months and eventually go back only to find it was almost like starting over again. Anthis has told me time and again "The knowledge has to come from somewhere." damn it all.. he's freaking right.

After doing these studies from Giovanni Civardi's book - "Drawing Human Anatomy" I'm beginning to believe for the first time that with tons of dedication and time and daily practice, even someone like me can eventually become "good".

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bakadoodle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bakadoodle; It's been exactly the same for me you know. I didn't want to use reference and do studies at first either. But looking at all the great sketchbooks and portfolios around here and seeing the studies makes you realize that they are vital. I've heard it in some of the streaming classes too, and it goes not just for anatomy drawing. Most of the artists at the top of this page have probably done tons and tons of studies. From what I've heard, figure drawing from life is the best way to learn anatomy and such. I'm trying to figure out a balance myself, how much time I should spend on studies or drawing 'on my own'. I'm quite uncertain there.
    I hadn't heard of Giovanni Civardi before so did a quick search. Looks wonderful. When you do some studies, try to 'pick his brain'. You never actually have to 'copy' In these kind of books there is always a very strong reasoning behind the drawing. Light and strong marks, sharp and soft edges, the way he uses crosshatching for shading. Always love to see how they use this. Just see how you like it, although there are common favourites (loomis, bridgman), everyone has his own taste on these anatomy drawing books.
    Nice ones by the way. I just find legs/feet incredibly tough. Always good to think of the functionality in those areas.

Optional later!!

Ref from Characterdesigns.com
    Spartan Camp #121 - 50 gestures + Optional "Animal Anatomy Study"Spartan Camp #121 - 50 gestures + Optional "Animal Anatomy Study"Spartan Camp #121 - 50 gestures + Optional "Animal Anatomy Study"

Posemaniacs.com, trying to simplify things, practising form and perspective.
    Spartan Camp #121 - 50 gestures + Optional "Animal Anatomy Study"Spartan Camp #121 - 50 gestures + Optional "Animal Anatomy Study"

Then some gestures of my own. I should follow up with more of these after the reference part.
    Spartan Camp #121 - 50 gestures + Optional "Animal Anatomy Study"Spartan Camp #121 - 50 gestures + Optional "Animal Anatomy Study"Spartan Camp #121 - 50 gestures + Optional "Animal Anatomy Study"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anthis - All of your figures are excellent, both referenced and non referenced. (IMO) Your lines, even in pen, show a confidence and accuracy of proportion, and more. You seem to be able to capture that subtlety of form and flow that even the best artists miss. I'm not just saying this to flatter you either. When it comes to the human form, I think you have nearly mastered it both technically and artistically. If I were you I would be asking myself what was next. Since you seem to work mostly in non-digital mediums I would love to see you crank out more portraits or more 'finished' pieces. This is a great practice, but you are cabable of so much more Scene composition, landscapes, color etc. I'd love to see you throw your hat into a CHOW or COW or something. I haven't seen you do too much original concepts.

edit: Oh and about the Civardi book. I really like it because its set up more from a medical illustrative perspective. Every bone, every muscle is listed by name. I didn't get much from Brigman, he simplified the shames and forms and stuff, but I really needed more to understand what was going on underneath. Loomis on the other hand seemed to jump past the middle. Somewhere between the cartoon heads and the realistic portraits it just felt like there was a gap in instruction. I agree about the crosshatching too.. that's an art all in itself. Line weight and direction make such a HUGE difference in the illusion. It will take me years to get that down. I have a hard time just drawing a single straight line, much less hundreds of them

There's this site I love, http://www.idrawgirls.com If you haven't you should check out some of his vids. When he does a gesture he uses so very very little to start. I know you could do something like this (He has better stuff, I just love Kristen Kreuk)
    http://idrawgirls.blogspot.com/2008/...i-kristin.html

Last edited by bakadoodle; January 9th, 2010 at 10:54 AM. Reason: PS

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bakadoodle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys,

First time participating here, but no excuses. I did 50 gestures, the first 10 were longer, probably at least 5-10 few minutes each. The final 40 were 90 seconds each from posemaniacs, trying out a few different methods. Not quite sure which I find myself most comfortable with yet, I think I was learning a lot more from the longer poses, but it would have taken me forever to do 50, perhaps next week. I seemed to get worse over time too heh. Nevermind.

Name:  SDIM2352.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  25.0 KBName:  SDIM2354.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  28.8 KBName:  SDIM2358.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  18.8 KBName:  SDIM2360.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  16.1 KBName:  SDIM2362.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  18.4 KBName:  SDIM2365.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  19.5 KBName:  SDIM2368.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  17.8 KBName:  SDIM2373.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  17.5 KBName:  SDIM2375.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  15.2 KB

I did the optional animal anatomy study too, not sure if its quite in the right vein, and currently it is unfinished. But I'm certainly learning a lot from it, plus I'm using marker for the first time

One day I'll get around to completing it, hopefully soon.

Mitch.

Name:  SDIM2385.jpg
Views: 967
Size:  22.5 KB

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MitchKempt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's my entry for this week. started working on a new sketchbook too.
    i hardly find myself doing the optional though.

bakadoodle: Feet are hard. but you've captured some of them nicely.

anthis: always a delight to see you gestures.

Last edited by ggnastist; January 11th, 2010 at 01:09 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ggnastist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bakadoodle - Yes, studies certainly are important. Some of those legs and feet look really good, i see you've put some effort there. I should do more studies of limbs as well; they always seem to turn out worse than my torsos.

anthis - Nice to see such accurate proportions. Recently i have been having proportional issues. Might be that I'm drawing too fast or something.
    And wow, those original poses look almost as good as the referenced ones.

MitchKempt - I suggest that you try to draw some gestures where you just draw the action of the character, and not the outlines. And also you could try some slightly longer poses, you don't really even need to put a clock on it.

ggnastist - Still on the right track with those life studies i think. Good stuff.

The first picture is the only one without reference.

These are 60 second poses from posemaniacs. I must say it churns out some really strange poses.
    If you look closely you'll see there's a lizard in this one.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aprat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mitch - Finding a technique you are comfortable with is very important. Keep trying new things until something feels right. You might try Brigman and get something from the simplified shapes, and maybe Loomis might help with construction lines etc. You never know what is going to *click* for you. The zebra is way cool. I notice in a lot of your gestures the figures seem to be well fed... Not sure if that was intentional, but it may help to focus on a more idealistic body type first and add the groceries later Fat folds work a bit differently than clothing folds.

ggnastist - sadly I cannot see any of your images

aprat - Love your pencil work and your shading technique. I get lost looking at all your posts. Even with a single angle shading you still capture a lot of volume. The lizard is very good!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bakadoodle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bakadoodle - See? I told you it was all about work, not talent. Seriously, it's nice to hear that you're so motivated. Your studies are looking good so far, keep it up.

Anthis I wish I could say something more helpful than "your gestures are highly awesome" but I'm afraid I can't. I guess I wouldn't be able to tell which of them are from reference and which are not if you didn't mention it.

MitchKempt Welcome. Doing quick gestures for the first time is always hard but it gets easier with practice. Like bakadoodle said, just keep trying out different methods to do them, you'll eventually find one that works well for you.

aprat Those are looking great. Not entirely sure but some of your girls' legs seem to be rather long. And yes, some poses from Posemaniacs are just weird.

Posemaniacs (15 sec)

Posemaniacs (90sec)

54, 55 and 59 are from imagination, 56, 57, 58 and the optional are from ref (own pictures).

Name:  refimop.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  65.8 KB

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Fliegenpilz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

I had some problems posting my entry yesterday (got some error, which dissapeared to quickly to be read). I'm not sure about all specifics and regulations here (I've read a few threads, but they only made me more confused), so I'm going to post only a part of my sketches now, just to be on the safe side...

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  90.7 KB
    Name:  P1101551.JPG
Views: 899
Size:  118.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bakadoodle; Yea I think I'm getting better at this, but there's still a lot of trial and error in the poses from imagination. I'm still having trouble with overlapping forms. Also, I often get stuck in 'the same' figures. I do agree on the concept part though. Luckily I've got a new computer and managed to join the Cow just yesterday. But you're right - too little painting 'of my own'. About those books - I'd say they all have some strenghts and weaknesses. I'm trying to combine Bridgman for the structure and Loomis for the nice form rendering. It could be a matter of taste too.

MitchKempt; Welcome and congratulations! Wonderful gestures. As you mentioned - reaching those 50 can sometimes be a pain. Learning and improvement is the actual goal though, so make sure you don't get into that state where the figures slowly are getting sloppier and you're paying gradually less attention!
    Of course, quick poses are great though, especially as a warmup. You're doing good on planning these poses. Try out different methods just like you said! A good way to start a figure is to consider some of the biggest masses (head, chest, pelvis) and the way they are connected by the spine. It's a method often used in anatomy drawing books, and can give you a headstart.

ggnastist; Ah well, that's what its an optional for, right? An interesting thing I noticed in your scans is some difference between the reference and lifedrawings. There's a more 'natural' feel about the life drawings, while the referenced ones are more 'posed'. Which is only logically, of course. But still interesting. Suppose you'd have to draw an illustration with characters, which way to go?
    Nice gestures by the way, good job on including some objects and mechanical forms in those drawings too.

aprat; If you feel you're losing track of the proportions, you could start lightly, take some distance and look again. If working digital, flipping horizontally can work. Just looking at/comparing with some real reference can work too. I feel that sometimes you just need this little 'boost' back in the right direction.
    I like your first picture, somehow it looks like a natural scene. Also, agreed on posemaniacs. Also, in some cases they do seem uncomfortable. Still, good practice. And you're handling them well with those forms. Like the lizard too.. that's some nice handling of the medium.

Fliegenpilz; Thanks, to be honest, the first thing I see are the (my) shortcomings. But there is improvement.
    And so there is in your figures! Although the heads are still an issue at times, something is clearly different from previous poses. I think they are more confident in a way. A bit more relaxed, a bit less doubt. Nice job on the varied studies, even some from imagination. Don't limit yourself doing just the 'outlines' though. Make sure you don't miss out on all the other forms and shapes and shadows. This can take some getting used to.

corinna; Shame it didn't quite work out, I can assure you those are fine. We're lenient on the rules. I'll rewrite the text soon, but the poses in previous rounds are really the best way to get some ideas. Main goal is to generate poses, figures, gestures from reference or from imagination, share them in this thread, and learn and improve together.
    Nice hand study, pretty tough especially in color. You're handling it well though. Like the sketches too. Interesting method on the eyes, looks practical. Not sure whether these are from imagination or reference. Just speaking from personal experience, I'd advice both, hehe. Nice going!

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys. im studying human anatomy as well. here are some few sketches that i did from reference.
    comments and critics are welcome.

Last edited by Dippesh25; October 31st, 2012 at 11:04 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya Dippesh25 - You should move this post to the new round (#243). This one is from a long time ago! Great work, see you there!

Members who have read this thread: 1