Thanks

Day job wanting 3d show

I work at a store that makes t-shirts. well for their Christmas add this Last year they had me make a 3d Ad for the store. (I was mainly designing t-shirts before)My ad I made this in a week and a half.

Any way I was just asked to do a 20 minute movie for this years Christmas. I will be meeting with them next week and I am the only one using the 3d program. SO I need to talk with some people who do 3d Modeling, animation, And Texture artists. To know what I need to ask for. Going from 20 seconds to 20 Minutes is a bit daunting.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Ask for what time, money, help? 20 minutes is a damn long project, more so if you have to bang it out yourself.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 604 Posts
    Not sure people would want to watch a 20 minute movie about t-shirts. Anyhow, CGSociety forums are probably your best bet to ask questions, way more 3D people over there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyFreeze View Post
    Ask for what time, money, help? 20 minutes is a damn long project, more so if you have to bang it out yourself.
    well for one I was told never to take a job doing 3d stuff that is under $15 an hour I am not being payed that at work.

Thanks
    Honestly, I wouldn't do it, at least not at the same hourly rate as my day job. I'd either negotiate a separate fee for the video, or if they try to tell you that it's part of your hourly duties as an artist, then tell them you need a large raise. They are asking for a specialized skill, and one that is very expensive if they paid for a full priced professional.

At the very least, I'd say it's fair that you suggest they help pay for your 3d education. Maybe pick out several books or dvds that you would find useful. Get them to buy you some 3d software (since I assume they are asking you to use your own as it is). Get them to realize you've made an investment in that knowledge of time and money, and if they want your services they need to contribute.

Thanks
    They bought the 3d program already at the beginning of when I started working there and using their computer. Not as bad but still wanting to know what things I should be asking for. I am a little under $10 an hour.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    Well industry standard for that work is about 40 an hour. Plus professional voice -over for SAG-AFTRA and the is another 150 on top of it. You can buy all the 3d models you would need. But just to record the voice tracks sound effects, music voice tracks; an engineer is 85 an hour. You would want to storyboard it out first timing the dialog, then do an animatic to sync the sound then go into final render.

Thanks
    Man form a question that isn't "things I should be asking for" cause that doesn't clue anyone in to what the hell your talking about.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 516 Posts
    No way in hell I would try to do this project.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    No way in hell I would try to do this project.
    Can you please list reasons so I know what to say better.