Dpaint's Drawing from Life Survival Guide - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dpaint's Drawing from Life Survival Guide

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    [QUOTE=ajvenema;2592186]
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post

In my country theres no problem with that whatsoever, so thats why i'm suprised. sorry that i stepped on your patriotic heart
    You didn't...but I think you owe Tea the apology.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont think so. theres no reason why she should be offended or something. All i said was that im surprised you have to think about this kind of stuff when you go out sketching in the usa. its getting a bit off topic now i guess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ajvenema View Post
    I dont think so. theres no reason why she should be offended or something. All i said was that im surprised you have to think about this kind of stuff when you go out sketching in the usa. its getting a bit off topic now i guess.
    I think the sweeping comment about Americans got in the way of what you were trying to say.

Anyway, thanks dpaint. Some great advice. I've done that ninja technique before. Here's hoping I'll never have to put my bear evading skills to use.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As a female trying to draw outdoors in Aus - sometimes the withering look doesn't work as unfortunately some men seem to think that any kind of eye contact is an invitation.

Usually the best trick for fending off unwanted advances is the polite 'smile and nod' (to not be outwardly aggressive as this can also lead to trouble) while giving clear signs that you don't want company eg one syllable answers and turning your head and body language away from the rude b*stard.

Kitty's Drawings - My blog!

I have a Sketchbook now ---> SKETCHY!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ajvenema View Post
    geez,
    i start to think americans are REALLY idiots..
    in europe you can just draw on the street, and nothing will happen. maybe once an hour someone will take a look, and twice a day someone actually says something. and at least nobody is rude. its just getting over being afraid to be there looking at the people, but after that, theres really no problem.
    I missed this completely
    Indeed, your comment about Americans was a bit too much. But if I tried to draw somewhere in New York, Chicago or even Austin, I wouldn't have had this problem. You can't really compare Europe to most of US cities because Europe is so much more crowded. Over here the density of population (and the number of attractive girls with sketchpads) is a lot lower, so no wonder some people see that as a chance to acquaint the female artist. So this is a simple matter of demographics.

And thanks Jeff

Kittymeow, a smile would still be a bad idea..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Ok, back to the topic.

Does DPaint, Jeff or any other experts here have tips on how to hold the pencil when drawing on an easel?

I'm trying to get comfortable with the easel by drawing on nothing except the easel from now on, and these 2 days, my hands are shavy and it's like the pencil is gonna fly out from my hand anytime.

I'm using the extended tripod grip most of the time (holding the pencil like when you're writing, but holding it all the way at the butt area for loose big movement).
    Then I slightly tilt my hand to the right a bit to draw (like a partial underhand grip).

The overhand grip doesn't work for me (I hate drawing using the side of the pencil).

As for distance from easel, I currently stand about 1 feet away.

Do you guys have like, any useful efficient exercises that can help me to get comfortable at the easel faster (other than "draw")?

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Xeon - another thing I forgot to mention! When drawing from the shoulder the best pencil grip is the "backhand" grip - just pick up your media with your fingertips from the table or wherever and that is really the proper way to hold it - again takes getting used to. You don't always need to draw with the side - and you can reverse your hand so the back is to the paper as well for some marks. The whole point is this gives you the most flexibility in movement and ability to make marks. Believe it or not people drop their charcoal, paintbrush, pencil all the time - because they're often holding their implement with such delicacy. I've dropped paintbrushes so many times - and usually they go flipping all over the place and it is very funny - generally while doing a demo!

You might be standing a bit too close - you want to stand about a comfortable arm's distance away from your drawing surface.

The other reason to adapt to this "grip" is it is the only real way to use some of the other drawing media like vine charcoal or conte. Hang in there!

Last edited by JeffX99; January 12th, 2010 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Forgot something...
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Hey Xeon - another thing I forgot to mention! When drawing from the shoulder the best pencil grip is the "backhand" grip - just pick up your media with your fingertips from the table or wherever and that is really the proper way to hold it - again takes getting used to. You don't always need to draw with the side - and you can reverse your hand so the back is to the paper as well for some marks. The whole point is this gives you the most flexibility in movement and ability to make marks. Believe it or not people drop their charcoal, paintbrush, pencil all the time - because they're often holding their implement with such delicacy. I've dropped paintbrushes so many times - and usually they go flipping all over the place and it is very funny - generally while doing a demo!

You might be standing a bit too close - you want to stand about a comfortable arm's distance away from your drawing surface.

The other reason to adapt to this "grip" is it is the only real way to use some of the other drawing media like vine charcoal or conte. Hang in there!
    Thanks Jeff! I'll try it tonight and probably post some pics o my grip as well.

I also tried sitting down at a chair and drawing at the easel last night and it was a lot more comfortable cos' you can kinda rest your hand on the bottom of the easel's desk (the lower lip) for support.

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,881 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you stand, think of yourself as fencing, holding a sword. Seriously, it will save your shoulder to turn your body sideways when you raise your arm to draw. When your not drawing drop your arm to your side.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good thread guys.

Something else I've found particularly useful for #1 is a technique that kills two birds with one stone.

Squint. It looks like you're fallilng asleep; but you're assessing values, and it also looks like you're not paying attention to your subject.

I've had people stop staring back at me when I squint.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

13. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I want to start off by saying this is awesome. I vote sticky!

Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post

5 Draw in Groups.
    If you can find a group of likeminded artists, it is allot more fun to draw in a crowd. This isolates you and people are more reluctant to disturb a group allowing you to focus and actually get some drawing done. Also in groups you can just draw the people you are with since you will all be holding the pose for roughly the same amount of time.
    It's fun to share sketches with each other too.

7 Be Prepared
    There is nothing worse than getting to your favorite drawing spot and realizing you left your sketchbook at home two hours away. Organize a setup that will allow you to carry everything you need in some sort of satchel or backpack all at once. Have extra pens pencils erasers and sketchpads. Before you leave check it to make sure you have everything you need. When you get home replenish your supplies so the next time you go out everything will be there for you to create your masterpiece.
    Just a warning - there is such a thing as OVER-preparing. Make sure you pack weight appropriate for how much walking is planned. (I.E., if going to a zoo, there will be walking. Who wants to carry 20lbs of materials? Figure out what you ACTUALLY are going to use.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drawing and painting from life can be dangerous it is no joke. I have been chased by a bear, had full beer bottles thrown at me from a moving car and had people try to run me over just messing around. But nothing beats getting the questions

1 Are you familiar with Bob Ross?

2 How long does that take you?

3 Do you make your living doing that?

4 My Aunt was an Artist do you know her?

5 Do you sell those?

6 How much do you get paid for that?
    Let me add:
    7 If I remain standing here <somewhere blocking my subject>, will you include me?

8 My neighbour does that too, but he can do it really well

9 <blank look>

10 WHICH ONE IS ME? <with a bewildered look at a page full of quick warming up gestures>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty good thread here! I'm somewhat new to drawing from life, or at least to get out and draw people. I use to be very shy, but realizing that being shy is of no use I've been able to overcome it.

I'll make sure to take out some sunglasses, and that idea about squinting is sooo good! Haha, never would have thought of it myself.

Thanks dpaint for the bunch of tips.

Nada importa morir, pero no vivir es horrible.
    ----

I have a S.KETCH.BOOK.!!

and a blog (with animation stuff): http://animatedskycat.blogspot.mx/

and a tumblr (with random stuff): http://arturoarias.tumblr.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Téa_Passer View Post
    Had anyone try sketch people at the gym? You can get some great pose reference there.
    I suspect that would weird at least some people out. Privacy expectations in a gym are a bit different than on the street or in a coffee shop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've met surprisingly low amounts of hostility during my public drawing sessions. Perhaps I haven't been doing it long enough but I do find being social and friendly usually helps. Most people tend to keep to themselves when they figure out they are being drawn. Most will smile, fidget, stare back or get up and leave. What else can you do other than draw fast? I'm more often approached by people walking by than the subject I am drawing. I usually keep my answers short and sweet but I do try and be friendly about it.

sketchblog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great thread dpaint, thank you for the tips.
    It is most encouraging to see that drawing in public is a problem for many people.

I guess your bear story beats my story: ducks approaching me and stealing my brushes.

Slowly I am approaching the outside drawing and what I found a great place to sneak at is in cafes such as Costa, Pret-a-manger, or McDonalds (even bhs) that have single seats facing outside. Most people don't look at those seats because it is awkward to watch people eating. I personally think buying a coffee is worth the spot..

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ditto on the 'sticky this thread' request.

Great advice, I've been trying to pluck up to the courage to go to the pub at the train station after work sometimes, there are always interesting people there. What's put me off though is being female and in a pub on your own is usually a signal for some guy to come and try and chat you up. I'll try some of these techniques though like the MP3 player obviously on display and scowling unwelcomingly/squinting and see if they work.

Oh btw, this thread reminded me of a photo Jason Seiler put up on Facebook. He saw this woman in a diner when he was sketching and took a sneaky photo on his phone, said she had an interesting face for caricature...then she caught him but it did make me think about the etiquette for taking photos of people in public without their consent, I would find it a bit rude if someone took one of me but if it's for reference purposes and the person explained I would be ok with it. I don't know, what's everybody elses opinion on taking photos if you can't finish the sketch in time, or is that defeating the purpose?

Attached Images Attached Images    

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    I once got laughed at for trying to draw from life.
    Everybody's biggest fear. :-)

I work at an after-school care centre, and during the past school holidays, when there were only a relatively small number of kids, I got to make some quick portrait sketches of some of them. It's a good exercise to get used to having an audience look over your shoulder, making brutally honest comments.

I had to laugh too, partly at myself. When I finished a sketch I showed it to the subject, a boy of about nine or ten. It was mostly just a line drawing, but with some tentative shading across the forehead in the form of rapid hatching with the ballpoint pen with which I had done the sketch.

His comment: "It's quite good, sir. Except that bit..." He pointed to the hatching. "I don't have those scratches on my face."

Well, touché. :-)

Last edited by blogmatix; April 13th, 2012 at 01:11 PM.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blogmatix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Intheuk View Post
    I would find it a bit rude if someone took one of me but if it's for reference purposes and the person explained I would be ok with it. I don't know, what's everybody elses opinion on taking photos if you can't finish the sketch in time, or is that defeating the purpose?
    When Google's new age spectacles comes out, shooting pics of people on the sly will no longer be an issue and you won't be caught.
    Check this out: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...83400720120405

The age of privacy is over. Sadly.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Xeon_OND For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ooooh very, very useful pointers!
    i'll prepare some materials and get going once October rolls around, and thus more opportunities appear for me to do so~

i see why some would be worried, but you just need a touch of i-don't-give-a-fuck and callousness, and you're solved. ninja skills also come in handy. i can blend into a place and go unobserved if i want to like it's my job, for some reason.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 99