Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    I draw people outside 5 - 6 times a week, 1 - 1,5 hours at a time. They are sitting figures mostly drawn from behind since I don't like to get caught. I did some math and after three years I've done more than 30 000 of these quick, somewhat similar poses. The thing is, I have only 1,5 hours of "real" life drawing a week and the lighting is so bad I can't see much of the surface forms. I'm also pretty sure the teacher can't draw because her advice is so bad. Kind of gave up with those classes. I feel like I don't have other options than going out every day and do the samey clothed poses over and over. Everyone always emphasizes how important life drawing is and it feels like I'm not going to obtain the necessary understanding to draw the figure well.

Is it enough if I just do it from books and photos? Any really skilled people who did it like that? I need some reassuring.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Taneli View Post
    Is it enough if I just do it from books and photos? Any really skilled people who did it like that? I need some reassuring.
    From what I've been told, Marko Djurdjević was wholly self taught and never realized that other artists used photos or references until much later. He drew from intense study of everyday objects, memory, and a 2 year stint holed up with Burne Hogarth's anatomy book.

Marko's Wikipedia entry: LINK

HOWEVER, if you have the opportunities at all for figure life drawing, by all means take it. I drew almost entirely from photos until I moved out to L.A., and there is a world of difference in terms of progress and understanding between "live" drawing versus a flattened image.

Thanks
    Today I took my sister to the doctor's office, and in the waiting room there were three people. One elderly couple, and one woman by herself. I sat there and took out my sketchbook and tried to draw them. Protip: DO NOT try to draw people in a small space when there are very few people. Whoever I tried to draw stared me straight on with this evil smile on their face, and when I got creeped out and switched to another person, they did the same thing. Jeebus what's an artist to do D:.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cdejong View Post
    Whoever I tried to draw stared me straight on with this evil smile on their face, and when I got creeped out and switched to another person, they did the same thing. Jeebus what's an artist to do D:.
    Wave and give them the biggest, dumb grin you can muster. Seriously, you're most likely NEVER going to see these people again, so why do you care what they think of you?

If people think you're the chatty extroverted type they'll generally try to break eye contact and "look busy" so you won't bother them. As a caution though: this can backfire if said person turns out to be extroverted, or just really lonely like some older people tend to be. As long as they sit still while they talk does it really matter though?

Last edited by Aphotic Phoenix; January 7th, 2010 at 05:58 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,091 Times in 2,481 Posts
    Drawing and painting from life can be dangerous it is no joke. I have been chased by a bear, had full beer bottles thrown at me from a moving car and had people try to run me over just messing around. But nothing beats getting the questions

1 Are you familiar with Bob Ross?

2 How long does that take you?

3 Do you make your living doing that?

4 My Aunt was an Artist do you know her?

5 Do you sell those?

6 How much do you get paid for that?

2 and 6 are my favorite ones though because you can see the person doing the math, assuming its an hourly wage, like I sell everything I make.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I haven't tried drawing people outside yet... I'm too shy and I guess just don't have time right now.

But what would be some suggestions for a (somewhat attractive) female artist? I'm afraid to draw attention of unwanted parties. I don't want to be rude but I don't want them interrupting my drawing either. Maybe I'm worrying too much and this rarely happens?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    That's really interesting you're work reminds me of that guy...uhm....he paints the little houses in the forsest...yeah, My Mom is an artist too but does watercolor mostly of pets and animals she's really amazing at it and is in the fair all the time, I can't draw a straight line! but my son is in high school and he's an incredible artist too - he can draw ANYTHING and make it look like ANYTHING he once drew an engine and it looked EXACTLY like the picture! Is that fun? It's so neat you can do something so relaxing.

One of my teachers used to wear headphones when he was out painting - not connected to anything - he would tuck the wire in under his jacket/shirt - not a bad idea.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

sfa

Thanks
    Oh and my all time favorite.

I wish I had a god given talent like that, instead I have to work for a living. Implying of course, that I had nothing to do with my ability or success.

Thanks
    Tea
    I can't imagine that you haven't learned the secret whithering look all good looking women can give a guy to get rid of them. It is devastating in its brutality cranked up on high. I've had it directed at me a few times in my life and I can attest to its efficacy. I mean you must go out in public now without a sketchbook right? how do you handle it now?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sadly Tea I think that is a real concern - I've known quite a few women artists that were concerned about painting outdoors by themselves - it is sad but you do have to use some common sense.

Public places seem like a good bet - what about a library even? Or Barnes and Noble if you have one near you? Lots of people just hanging out in those reading - of course you want to sketch more than people reading. I like to find places where people are pretty much going to be iin the same pose/position for a few miniutes at least. Also, people tend to return to the same position - so when they shift - work on somehting else - when they return - go for it.

Check out "SketchCrawl": http://www.sketchcrawl.com/ I never see it mentioned here but it would be a great place to meet like-minded folk and make some "sketch buddies".

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Drawing and painting from life can be dangerous it is no joke. I have been chased by a bear, had full beer bottles thrown at me from a moving car and had people try to run me over just messing around. But nothing beats getting the questions

That's crazy! Does playing dead actually work from being eaten by a bear? What did you do when the bear started chasing you?

Last edited by Pigeonkill; January 11th, 2010 at 03:14 PM.
    Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Téa_Passer View Post
    I haven't tried drawing people outside yet... I'm too shy and I guess just don't have time right now.

But what would be some suggestions for a (somewhat attractive) female artist? I'm afraid to draw attention of unwanted parties. I don't want to be rude but I don't want them interrupting my drawing either. Maybe I'm worrying too much and this rarely happens?
    geez,
    i start to think americans are REALLY idiots..
    in europe you can just draw on the street, and nothing will happen. maybe once an hour someone will take a look, and twice a day someone actually says something. and at least nobody is rude. its just getting over being afraid to be there looking at the people, but after that, theres really no problem.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=ajvenema;2592097]geez,
    i start to think americans are REALLY idiots..
    and at least nobody is rude. QUOTE]

Way to not be rude. She has a legitimate concern that many of my female artist friends and students have expressed over the years. If you have something constructive to add feel free, otherwise keep your ignorant comments to yourself.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks