Dpaint's Drawing from Life Survival Guide

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,980 Times in 2,411 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Dpaint's Drawing from Life Survival Guide

It seems like there are many artists on CA who want to start drawing from life to help improve their skills. Having drawn from life for quite a few years now I thought I would create this simple guide to help you survive the cruel world out there.These guidelines have helped me draw for many years hopefully they will help you too.

Before we start the list; here is a little tip you might not know about if you are starting out. Everyone is familiar with pens, pencils, erasers and sharpeners but keep a razor blade handy also. This little tool will allow you to go back and slice out any offending pages that the eraser just can’t get clean enough. Trust me there will come a time you will want it.

1 Be Discreet
    Unless you are an A type extrovert that craves an audience look for places you can blend in and people might not notice you stealing their souls by making an image of them. I always try to find a place to draw from where people cannot sneak up on me from behind. When you first start out there is nothing worse than having a bunch of people commenting on your work and your ability while standing right behind you and acting like you can’t hear them.

2 Some places to draw
    Public squares, parks, coffee shops, pubs, The bus station, the airport, the train station, just about any mass transit system. You can also stay home and draw using a wardrobe mirror or set up casts or a still life. Family and friends are usually good for poses especially on holidays or special occasions

3 Sketchbooks are not Aphrodisiacs
    While there are men and women attracted to artistic types. Beware. We are artists for a reason and usually that reason is a lack of badassness in the Mixed Martial Arts sense of the word. Nothing will get you in more trouble than drawing the wrong person’s significant other as a naked forest elf. While artists are naturally attracted to beauty, drawing someone in public when their jealous spouse is near could get you a black eye. Be aware, and size up any potential threats before you start to draw that cute person you see across from you in a sexy come hither pose from your imagination.

4 Flattery is smarter than Caricature.
    Resist the urge to make that person who looks like a character from the Narnia movies, a character from the Narnia movies. This could put you into the same situation as #2 you also don’t want to hurt someone’s feelings if they happen to see you’ve drawn them as Cthulu.

5 Draw in Groups.
    If you can find a group of likeminded artists, it is allot more fun to draw in a crowd. This isolates you and people are more reluctant to disturb a group allowing you to focus and actually get some drawing done. Also in groups you can just draw the people you are with since you will all be holding the pose for roughly the same amount of time.

6 Don’t be a Statistic
    If people aren’t your thing and you feel like drawing landscapes make sure you don’t sit on the side of the road. Doing so will possibly get you killed by someone who is driving and texting and didn’t notice you there. Seriously it could happen. If you must draw on the road at least put your car between you and any potential traffic and sit far enough ahead of it, that if an idiot does hit it they don’t push it on top of you.

7 Be Prepared
    There is nothing worse than getting to your favorite drawing spot and realizing you left your sketchbook at home two hours away. Organize a setup that will allow you to carry everything you need in some sort of satchel or backpack all at once. Have extra pens pencils erasers and sketchpads. Before you leave check it to make sure you have everything you need. When you get home replenish your supplies so the next time you go out everything will be there for you to create your masterpiece.

8 Have Fun
    Drawing is hard. Drawing in public from life is even harder. That being said, leave your bad attitude at home. If drawing is such a chore then find something else to do. People that are interested in art don’t need their head bitten off because you are having a bad day. Fall in love with the process and realize nobody draws as well as they want to. Set aside the time for drawing and make an effort to improve one thing about your work every time you practice.

9 Create a Legacy
    Every time you start a sketchbook put the date in the front of it. This does two things it lets you look back a few years from now and see how you’ve improved and it will let you know if you’ve been slacking because there is nothing new in it for six months. It is good to have a record of your work.

10 Take the Money
    Value what you do, if you draw outside long enough, eventually someone will ask you what you charge for your work. Have an answer! You never know if that person could potentially launch your career and how they dress is not a good indicator of how much they are worth. Decide before you go out what you would say to someone if they either ask to buy what you are doing or they want to commission you to do something for them. I don’t know is not an answer.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 99 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Fall in love with the process and realize nobody draws as well as they want to. Set aside the time for drawing and make an effort to improve one thing about your work every time you practice.
    Quoted for emphasis - this is golden. Great insights my friend! Ah, the stories that could be told...Steamboat comes to mind...as does OK City...those were the days!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is great. I recently saw your finished paintings and I'm looking forward to learning more from you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for this post! It was great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another one I'd suggest: If you're drawing somebody who is looking back with ill-intent, pretend you're drawing somebody else. Also known as the "ninja" and great way to avoid a #3.

Agreed wholeheartedly on everything on the list though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Chow View Post
    Another one I'd suggest: If you're drawing somebody who is looking back with ill-intent, pretend you're drawing somebody else. Also known as the "ninja" and great way to avoid a #3.

Agreed wholeheartedly on everything on the list though.
    I use that a lot. And if someone is really intently staring at me, I just stare down at my sketchbook and doodle something from imagination so it looks like I've been doing that the whole time. I don't want to get punched .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cdejong View Post
    I use that a lot. And if someone is really intently staring at me, I just stare down at my sketchbook and doodle something from imagination so it looks like I've been doing that the whole time. I don't want to get punched .
    LOL. I do that too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent advice!

Since one of the risks of drawing in public is being seen as some sort of perv, it makes sense to have a few drawings with you that show what you can do, rather than a blank book - and that the sketchbook you use for sketching strangers in public should not have pages in it that look like the kama sutra!

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dcorc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the suggestions everyone. Especially the ninja look and having some drawings already in your book. Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Chow View Post
    I've found it effective to actually draw two people at the same time. When one looks up, start drawing the other one.

Regarding #10- it's implied by the title, but to add on to this don't give your stuff away. A friend of mine who is a very talented landscape painter used to say "Oh, this is terrible, you can just have it". Later, she found out through the grapevine that the person she gave the painting to for free would have paid $200 for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I once got laughed at for trying to draw from life.

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great tips dpaint

Sunglasses and always know your exits if someone decides to hunt you down

Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, great post! I too struggled with drawing from life in public and I think tha guide would be great for all the noobs to take advice from..

If you really tend to think that other people will think that your life drawings will totally suck, than you can always doodle a quick cartoonish loomis styled face or something from immagination.. showing that "hey, i can actually draw something," if it helps you to feel more confident in drawing other people from life in there.. but yeah lol, if that immagination cartoon face would look like a caricature from a person in that bus, it wouldn't be that good idea..

One thing i also like to do (mostly when i'm in the car) and riding around, is to look outside and draw thins, light poles, some houses etc.. i mostly try to look at them, memories them and draw them quickly.. another fun activity, good way to take notes about buildings and environment.

It's a lot also in your head.. If you analyze a little bit, then you realize that you have absoloutley no reason to panic, what other superficial people, that you will see only once in a life time in that bus would think. If you use the public transport on daily basis, and do a litle calculation, then you realize that there is a great ammount of time for drawing, and it would be stupied to not use it, because some people are going to give you a dirty look or something..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I draw people outside 5 - 6 times a week, 1 - 1,5 hours at a time. They are sitting figures mostly drawn from behind since I don't like to get caught. I did some math and after three years I've done more than 30 000 of these quick, somewhat similar poses. The thing is, I have only 1,5 hours of "real" life drawing a week and the lighting is so bad I can't see much of the surface forms. I'm also pretty sure the teacher can't draw because her advice is so bad. Kind of gave up with those classes. I feel like I don't have other options than going out every day and do the samey clothed poses over and over. Everyone always emphasizes how important life drawing is and it feels like I'm not going to obtain the necessary understanding to draw the figure well.

Is it enough if I just do it from books and photos? Any really skilled people who did it like that? I need some reassuring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Taneli View Post
    Is it enough if I just do it from books and photos? Any really skilled people who did it like that? I need some reassuring.
    From what I've been told, Marko Djurdjević was wholly self taught and never realized that other artists used photos or references until much later. He drew from intense study of everyday objects, memory, and a 2 year stint holed up with Burne Hogarth's anatomy book.

Marko's Wikipedia entry: LINK

HOWEVER, if you have the opportunities at all for figure life drawing, by all means take it. I drew almost entirely from photos until I moved out to L.A., and there is a world of difference in terms of progress and understanding between "live" drawing versus a flattened image.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today I took my sister to the doctor's office, and in the waiting room there were three people. One elderly couple, and one woman by herself. I sat there and took out my sketchbook and tried to draw them. Protip: DO NOT try to draw people in a small space when there are very few people. Whoever I tried to draw stared me straight on with this evil smile on their face, and when I got creeped out and switched to another person, they did the same thing. Jeebus what's an artist to do D:.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoever I tried to draw stared me straight on with this evil smile on their face, and when I got creeped out and switched to another person, they did the same thing. Jeebus what's an artist to do D:.
    Wave and give them the biggest, dumb grin you can muster. Seriously, you're most likely NEVER going to see these people again, so why do you care what they think of you?

If people think you're the chatty extroverted type they'll generally try to break eye contact and "look busy" so you won't bother them. As a caution though: this can backfire if said person turns out to be extroverted, or just really lonely like some older people tend to be. As long as they sit still while they talk does it really matter though?

Last edited by Aphotic Phoenix; January 7th, 2010 at 06:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drawing and painting from life can be dangerous it is no joke. I have been chased by a bear, had full beer bottles thrown at me from a moving car and had people try to run me over just messing around. But nothing beats getting the questions

1 Are you familiar with Bob Ross?

2 How long does that take you?

3 Do you make your living doing that?

4 My Aunt was an Artist do you know her?

5 Do you sell those?

6 How much do you get paid for that?

2 and 6 are my favorite ones though because you can see the person doing the math, assuming its an hourly wage, like I sell everything I make.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't tried drawing people outside yet... I'm too shy and I guess just don't have time right now.

But what would be some suggestions for a (somewhat attractive) female artist? I'm afraid to draw attention of unwanted parties. I don't want to be rude but I don't want them interrupting my drawing either. Maybe I'm worrying too much and this rarely happens?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's really interesting you're work reminds me of that guy...uhm....he paints the little houses in the forsest...yeah, My Mom is an artist too but does watercolor mostly of pets and animals she's really amazing at it and is in the fair all the time, I can't draw a straight line! but my son is in high school and he's an incredible artist too - he can draw ANYTHING and make it look like ANYTHING he once drew an engine and it looked EXACTLY like the picture! Is that fun? It's so neat you can do something so relaxing.

One of my teachers used to wear headphones when he was out painting - not connected to anything - he would tuck the wire in under his jacket/shirt - not a bad idea.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

26. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

sfa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh and my all time favorite.

I wish I had a god given talent like that, instead I have to work for a living. Implying of course, that I had nothing to do with my ability or success.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tea
    I can't imagine that you haven't learned the secret whithering look all good looking women can give a guy to get rid of them. It is devastating in its brutality cranked up on high. I've had it directed at me a few times in my life and I can attest to its efficacy. I mean you must go out in public now without a sketchbook right? how do you handle it now?

29. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sadly Tea I think that is a real concern - I've known quite a few women artists that were concerned about painting outdoors by themselves - it is sad but you do have to use some common sense.

Public places seem like a good bet - what about a library even? Or Barnes and Noble if you have one near you? Lots of people just hanging out in those reading - of course you want to sketch more than people reading. I like to find places where people are pretty much going to be iin the same pose/position for a few miniutes at least. Also, people tend to return to the same position - so when they shift - work on somehting else - when they return - go for it.

Check out "SketchCrawl": http://www.sketchcrawl.com/ I never see it mentioned here but it would be a great place to meet like-minded folk and make some "sketch buddies".

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drawing and painting from life can be dangerous it is no joke. I have been chased by a bear, had full beer bottles thrown at me from a moving car and had people try to run me over just messing around. But nothing beats getting the questions

That's crazy! Does playing dead actually work from being eaten by a bear? What did you do when the bear started chasing you?

Last edited by Pigeonkill; January 11th, 2010 at 04:14 PM.
    Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Téa_Passer View Post
    I haven't tried drawing people outside yet... I'm too shy and I guess just don't have time right now.

But what would be some suggestions for a (somewhat attractive) female artist? I'm afraid to draw attention of unwanted parties. I don't want to be rude but I don't want them interrupting my drawing either. Maybe I'm worrying too much and this rarely happens?
    geez,
    i start to think americans are REALLY idiots..
    in europe you can just draw on the street, and nothing will happen. maybe once an hour someone will take a look, and twice a day someone actually says something. and at least nobody is rude. its just getting over being afraid to be there looking at the people, but after that, theres really no problem.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [QUOTE=ajvenema;2592097]geez,
    and at least nobody is rude. QUOTE]

Way to not be rude. She has a legitimate concern that many of my female artist friends and students have expressed over the years. If you have something constructive to add feel free, otherwise keep your ignorant comments to yourself.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tea
    I can't imagine that you haven't learned the secret whithering look all good looking women can give a guy to get rid of them. It is devastating in its brutality cranked up on high. I've had it directed at me a few times in my life and I can attest to its efficacy. I mean you must go out in public now without a sketchbook right? how do you handle it now?
    Unfortunately, no, I'm shy and polite, plus I'm not from the US originally. Usually I just avoid eye contact, but have no "escape drill" in case someone thinks I'm trying to pick up guys by drawing them

I'm wearing a ring on the left hand, even though I'm not married, that does prevent some questions from arising, but not always.

Any other advice? I like the sunglasses and the earphones ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Sadly Tea I think that is a real concern - I've known quite a few women artists that were concerned about painting outdoors by themselves - it is sad but you do have to use some common sense.

Public places seem like a good bet - what about a library even? Or Barnes and Noble if you have one near you? Lots of people just hanging out in those reading - of course you want to sketch more than people reading. I like to find places where people are pretty much going to be iin the same pose/position for a few miniutes at least. Also, people tend to return to the same position - so when they shift - work on somehting else - when they return - go for it.

Check out "SketchCrawl": http://www.sketchcrawl.com/ I never see it mentioned here but it would be a great place to meet like-minded folk and make some "sketch buddies".
    thanks for the link! Yes Barns and Noble could be a nice location. In fact I'm going there soon, might as well grab a sketchpad.

Had anyone try sketch people at the gym? You can get some great pose reference there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pigeonkill,

Luckily it was a black bear and after I screamed it did a 90 degree turn and left me alone. It was running away from some hikers that had spooked it and I happened to be in front of it on the trail. It was just as surprised to see me as I was to see it.
    This was in Glacier Park in Montana, so I was on the lookout for grizzlies having been warned by the rangers at the entrance to the park. Thing is when out of the corner of your eye you see a three hundred pound bear running at you full tilt, reflexes take over, LOL.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [QUOTE=JeffX99;2592106]
    Quote Originally Posted by ajvenema View Post
    geez,
    and at least nobody is rude. QUOTE]

Way to not be rude. She has a legitimate concern that many of my female artist friends and students have expressed over the years. If you have something constructive to add feel free, otherwise keep your ignorant comments to yourself.
    In my country theres no problem with that whatsoever, so thats why i'm suprised. sorry that i stepped on your patriotic heart

38. The Following User Says Thank You to ajvenema For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    1 Are you familiar with Bob Ross?
    How often do you hear that one? I can't imagine keeping a straight face upon hearing that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook