Thanks

Need some advice about a portfolio!

Hi there! Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I really need some advice on presenting a portfolio to potential employers.

Two days ago I was contacted by a company in my area. They had seen my art online and wanted to hire me, penciling four issues of their comic book. Before we go any farther though they'd like to see my real-life portfolio. I've never had a job offer like this, and I'm not sure what to include! How many pieces of art should I bring? Is there special etiquette in presenting a portfolio? Is it ok to include fan art (say, Spiderman stuff) or should it be only completely original work?

This is my first real art job, and a bit of a surprise. I only have until Wednesday to prepare... any help you can give will be greatly appreciated!
    Sketchbook group: MoHog Stimulus 626elemental

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,340 Times in 2,628 Posts
    have about fifteen of your best pieces in a nice presentation portfolio. Make sure it is geared at least 75% towards the client which means seqential art for a comic book company. The rest should show that you know how to draw or ink or color depending on what they are hiring you for. Make a disk of the portfolio so you can leave it behind. Make sure it has your contact info on it which means make a lable for it. Nothing worse for an art director to see a disk in a jewel case with nothing on it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aphotic Phoenix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i also would like to know if prints of 8.5 x 11 drawings unprofessional? if your going for an illustration job... does it have to be a certain dimension?

Thanks
    If you need a nice looking portfolio book to place your work/prints in, I'd recommend using Itoya's Profolio Polyglass Pages. You can find em at Aaron Bros and other art supply stores. But DO NOT buy the profolio folders that have pages already in them because all the pages aren't completely clear, they are a cheap plastic and it dulls the look of your artwork. If you buy any products from Itoya Profolio, make sure its only the polyglass pages; they are completely clear and stiffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphotic Phoenix View Post
    In that 2nd link, it said "Make your leave-behind reflect your portfolio. There is nothing worse that seeing a great portfolio early in the day, and then digging through the pile of leave-behinds at the end of the day and not being able to figure out which artist I fell in love with."

What exactly is a leave-behind? I'm assuming its like a business card but larger and with pictures or is it more then that?
    Last edited by Amber Alexander; January 5th, 2010 at 01:22 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Amber Alexander For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,688 Times in 5,022 Posts
    Amber, a leave-behind is anything meant to be, well, left behind. Postcards are pretty standard, because they are easy to tack up or file, and don't need any hardware to access.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by riceface View Post
    i also would like to know if prints of 8.5 x 11 drawings unprofessional? if your going for an illustration job... does it have to be a certain dimension?
    Don't blow up the image to the full size of the portfolio, it dulls the impact of the work. Make it about 75% of the page and trim the white around it down to about a 1/4-1/2 inch border. And tack the image down so it's not at the bottom of the page by the end of the interview.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RyerOrdStar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,858 Times in 604 Posts
    Just to add to what dpaint says, I'd recommend that if you can't make up 15 pieces you go with less rather than try to make up the number with lacklustre work. It's better to present 10 great pieces in total than 10 great pieces and 5 average ones. (Says he, whose gallery is awash with old mediocre art - do as I say, not as I do )

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post: