Color Management: Photoshop/Firefox

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Color Management: Photoshop/Firefox

I've been reading on Color Management and I have my settings set up like this

before using sRGB as my RGB color, my colors in photoshop and matched up correctly.. now that i use sRGB they are a little washed out in photoshop. I know this is a photoshop forum, but has any1 had any luck getting Firefox and Photoshop to appear the same?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Try to use your monitor's color profile in RGB working spaces instead of sRGB or AdobeRGB as most people are suggesting. So in photoshop you will see the actual colors your monitor is producing without any distortions. Using sRGB profile sometimes is not a good idea, because it's working in reality wrong with your monitor. Anyway as soon as i know Firefox has color management support only with add-ons, so to see the closest color in the browser I recommend you save your work by clicking save for web in photoshop and mark convert to sRGB. So everything will be converted to the sRGB color space which is default on the web space and for most users.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by teho View Post
    Try to use your monitor's color profile in RGB working spaces instead of sRGB or AdobeRGB as most people are suggesting. So in photoshop you will see the actual colors your monitor is producing without any distortions. Using sRGB profile sometimes is not a good idea, because it's working in reality wrong with your monitor.
    Yes, it works but it is a bad idea! That mean you will use as color space the limitation of your hardware. And that becomes a very bad idea when you will send your image to another computer especially if this computer uses as color space its monitor profile also. Finally, everytime your image will be saved to another computer with a different color profile, your image will use the combined limitations of all monitors which will reduce dramatically the gamut available.

You need to avoid using conversion when you are using a color space, that's why there is some standard. If the image changes when using sRGB color profile, maybe your monitor is not able to display sRGB color space correctly. Some wide gamut monitors are not good with sRGB so maybe an Adobe RGB color space could help.
    Quote Originally Posted by teho View Post
    Anyway as soon as i know Firefox has color management support only with add-ons, so to see the closest color in the browser I recommend you save your work by clicking save for web in photoshop and mark convert to sRGB. So everything will be converted to the sRGB color space which is default on the web space and for most users.
    Some links about firefox and color management:
    color correction for images in Firefox 3.5
    ICC color correction in Firefox

This last link is for testing the color management in your current web browser
    Is your system ICC Version 4 ready?

this link is for firefox 3.0.* since the color mangement is activated by default in version 3.5
    How to enable Color Management in Firefox 3+

"Firefox 3.5 currently only supports ICC version 2 color profiles, not version 4"
    "Users viewing images using ICC v2 color profiles on monitors with wide gamut levels may find them to look more saturated (darker) than expected."

I agree with teho about converting your image to sRGB anyway

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hecartha View Post
    Yes, it works but it is a bad idea! That mean you will use as color space the limitation of your hardware.
    Yes, that's the point, because you're using the color space generated for your monitor. Using sRGB (truefully some very abstract color profile for average monitor) or other like AdobeRGB (for print output) color profile don't increase the color space in term of "show more colors", it just will make your monitor to produce wrong colors from that color space, because of monitor's own limitations.

Last edited by teho; January 13th, 2010 at 09:57 AM.

Thanks
    Ok, I have seen an option named "monitor RGB" which was named before CS4 something like "no color management" (not sure about that anyway). In fact it uses the monitor color profile temporary but it does not save by default the color profile inside the file, so it can be used without any issue even changing monitor. I suppose that is what you were suggesting from the beginning of this thread. Finally, I learned this option can be used without any issue and it seems Photoshop is enough smart to deactivate by default any use of monitor profile as embedded color space.
    Monitor RGB: Sets the RGB working space to your current monitor space.
    This setting causes Photoshop to behave as if color management were turned off. Use this setting if other application in your workflow do not support color management.

Last edited by hecartha; January 14th, 2010 at 10:07 AM.

Thanks
    Ah... this is so complicated ...

my firefox never have a problem with the unmatched colors ...

After a day work work i sit on my ijoy massage chair always. So relaxing, but sometime i want kick out my ijoy chair often.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.