Ringling Fullsail and the Dave school
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Ringling Fullsail and the Dave school

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ringling Fullsail and the Dave school

Ill be attending each school for a day and taking a student with me that is considering art school to get his opinion on them as well, but i was curios what everyones biggest questions would be concering making the decision to attend each for job related studies in the game and movie industry

ill be posting my results from them here and another forum so anyinput you have would be great

btw thanks to jason for the help with ringling

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been looking at Fullsail and Expressions as possible schools to attend. I am glad I came across this post.

My biggest question about Fullsail would be the credintials of the instructors.

My other question would beat what lengths do they take to teach the actual computer programs? I tried a few 3D classes at UNO and the istructors were less than knowledgable about the programs. Are the instructors dedicated enough to help a student understand a certain aspect of the program or is it passed off as more of a self study program?

I hope these are good questions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks ,

I think anyones questions are good i want to get many difrent points of view the credintials is defetnly a good one as well as speaking with the students to see how well a teacher is able to communicate the lessons to the students

I will probaly be atending ringling first some time next week or the week after as my first school

It will be intersting to see how my opinions of the schools change

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *Sigh* here's the thing guys. Fear probally a long post.

Get it uot of your head that by going to school A you will get job B. Credentials of teachers, the money, teaching the computer program etc. These are all second hand. And gathering from your approach to the question I fear you might be thinking that learnign the 3D Program and getting a jobis as easy as being a programmer and getting a job programming for any company etc. Foretunately this is Art and art requires (imho) passion and pushing. The fact the teachers suck etc or they dont teach you the program is something that doesnt matter because which ever school you attend you will succeed if you want too. Blind hope? Fools hope? What about market saturation and the fact that 5000+ other people are as committed and passionistic? Forget it. Just think of that as more fuel for pushing and pressuring yourself to be all you can truely (or imangitively) be. The schools are in it for the money . They will tell you the program r0x0rz because thats their job. To take your mone . Professors teach there because they earn a living. SURE there are some instances (many in the art fields etc) where professors teach because they lvoe to share and bring people forward. But fear also there are professors who are in it for the money and as a popular saying says: They live to work. There are few who work to live. Be thankful if you find one.

Fullsail: Ive known 2 people grduate and one who attends. The attendee I can gladly say has learned a lot technically and is also exploring figure erawing and art. He wil lhave to push himself more and draw every day to get up to some other levels but theyre helping him and hes there. Networking however is essential here and so is technological knowledge. I had no idea how an LCD monitor worked until he taught me. Will he get a job coming out of Full Sail with just running (and doing well) in the classes? No. Why not? Why not just pick someone else who knows that. Companies dont want your book knowledge they want you, your experiences, your explorations your potential and what you as the prospective employee can bring. Any idiot can learn and read from a textbook its jsut what they take out of it or what they push themselves etc to do with it.

the other two people are mixed in results. One of them glided through most of the program and got decent knowledge. he's out there doign contract work. Not as high as most but. Another graduated and he is also doign contract work, in fact before he left and might be goign to a studio soon. good luck with that

SCAD: Ive known people who pushed thesemlves and either got hired out of school or into digital domain. These guys were trailblazers n their own right with their ideas and techniques. God bless em they know a lot of stuff, more than their prof.

In all t he cases the professors were good and one was exceptional but many others mediaocre.

Ringling: 35 out of the 45 got a job last graduating year. They pushed themsleves. Dont expect to come to ringling and learn maya. if thats what you want to do then go to www.gnomon.com and buy the dvds. theyre 60 bucks and theyre from industry professionals and teach you litterarly everything you could want and "the latest cutting edge techniques rwahhrr!!" Itll save you the 450$ a class you pay for at ringling.

Dave: no idea.

Personally as a path ive seen taken you get in by doign whaty ou love. thats the path I am going to take. its a crazy one but im taking it. focus is key here and something you must learn to keep through all hardships.

please dont take this liek a flame im just trying to understand your langauge and tone of voice when you asked the question and it s parked something Ive been meaning to say for a while now - knowledge ive garned from others.

Enjoy

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up."
    - Pablo Picasso
    :dA:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I'm attending Full Sail right now. What I can say is that the traditional art classes which is about two months long is quiet helpful though not enough time for you to beef up on you techniques unless you've already taken classes before Full Sail. Full Sail isn't considered and art school it's more technical then traditional art. But they do require you to do alot of storyboarding and drawing preproduction if you are in the Computer Animation major.

There's two ends to a pencil. Use them both. ~~some artist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont take your post as a flame. I understand your wanting to help someone out that may be thinking of any school as a instant job factory by just passing the classes. I fully understand that drive, passion, and determination are what make you successful. No matter what school I attend I still need to put the work in to make myself a solid artist.

I had a few classes at UNO where any practical experience at all by a prof or an instructor would have halped the class. I look at the practical experience of an instructor as a way to help me understand things I may gave trouble with regarfless of how much I try to understand. I am not looking to be spoon fed book knowledge. Work flow, tips, someone to bounce things off of that have an understanding of what I am throwing at them. For instance, at UNO I had a real nice instructor who had a lot of experience. She worked for EA doing the stadiums in Madden. She worked for Konami. She oversaw the motion capture for Americas Army at the UNO film studio. But, she wasn't an effective instructor when it came time to explain things. I just want to know if they are going to be able to help me grasp things.

Also, I look at these schools as a way to immerse myself in a learning enviroment. I just dont have that oppurtunity right now and feel I need it to advance. I went to college when I was 24. I wasnt lucky, no Brady bunch/Cosny college fund for me so I had to work my way through and I always felt I denied myself the time I really needed to become what I wanted. I graduated in May 2003 and made my decision to dedicate myself and get some full time experience at one of two schools. So I choose an immersive enviroment instead of busting my butt all day at work and not having enough time to dedicate to my art/film....the same thing I was doing at school. I wish I could be lucky enough to not have to worry about things and draw and sit on my computer all day, but I just cant do it.

I understand and appreciate your post. I just feel this is the enviroment I need to help me achieve my gold.

Last edited by DocHorror; February 5th, 2004 at 01:36 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Art Schools?

What about Art Center College of Design in Pasadena? It seems like a disproportionate amount of talented concept artists come from this school (Feng Zhu, TJ Frame, Scott Robertson, Craig Mullins, etc.).

I graduated from a four-year state university with a Psychology degree last year, and I'm debating whether to go to architecture school or art school...I'm really looking for an academic environment as well as technical instruction.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For what it's worth, I visited DAVE School briefly and gave a quick lecture there a couple of years ago. From I saw, Jeff Scheetz does run a pretty decent school. It's in the backlot of Universal Studios and they share office space with some animation studios. They do teach you the technical know-how and have up to date software and hardware and they have the networking contacts to ensure that your resume will get looked at. It looks like a good technical school.

That being said however, if you don't have solid fundamental drawing/painting ability, technical know-how will only take you so far. If you can't draw/paint you're still going to have characters that have bad structure and anatomy, inconsistantly lit composited scenes, mediocre photomanipulated textures, stiff animation,etc.. So basically, make sure you've got good traditional drawing skills before you go to such a school for you to properly take advantage of the hardware and software at your disposal.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I stink at typing.

Jason Manley is online now Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,567 Times in 2,176 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Re: Art Schools?

Originally posted by djmez
    What about Art Center College of Design in Pasadena? It seems like a disproportionate amount of talented concept artists come from this school (Feng Zhu, TJ Frame, Scott Robertson, Craig Mullins, etc.).

interesting...i could say the same thing about ringling.

j

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.