New work!! Demonize Skull

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: New work!! Demonize Skull

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New work!! Demonize Skull

The only two pieces of finished artwork I figure are worth sharing. I would really like some feedback.

The first was done this past July I believe, and done in photoshop and the second was finished the last couple of weeks with mixed traditional media.

I just redownloaded these from my deviantart account reason for my name watermark in them.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Desertfire; March 14th, 2010 at 12:54 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Instead of drawing according to what you think the body looks like, draw from reference. Anatomy is your weakness, pay attention to it.
    Search images on the web or get in to the pose yourself, be the character! and take pictures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by prince911 View Post
    Instead of drawing according to what you think the body looks like, draw from reference. Anatomy is your weakness, pay attention to it.
    Search images on the web or get in to the pose yourself, be the character! and take pictures.
    Thank you for the critque!! ^_^ I'm just now starting to learn about proper anatomy. I will keep what you said in mind. Thank you again! =D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think most of the big problems in these pieces can be solved by using reference. Ignoring things that have already been mentioned, your colors would benefit greatly from using a reference. I'm mainly referring to the first one, as it looks like you weren't going for realistic colors in the other one. Watch the colors on the face of the first one too, the pure white eyes and teeth and the almost black eyeliner are making his face look cartoony. It'd be cool to see more detail in the moon behind him too, again, use reference.

My 2 cents, hopefully helpful.

My Sketchbook

Mark 12:28-31

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you want to watermark your image, put some text clearly visible on the left/right/top/bottom edge. Either you can see it clear an clean, or not at all.

And yep, learn your anatomy and use reference. And paint a lot! Find out what motivates you and do what is fun.

-a

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone for the comments!!! This makes me really happy!

The first one, I did use a reference photo (mostly for the pose) but clearly not enough. I will continue to keep these things in mind.

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, by the way, so I know what I'm looking at.....

Many have said that reference would solve the anatomy problems. Please be nick-picky. What is it about the anatomy that is bugging everyone? I understand the face would be one from the comments I've gotten so far.

I don't know that I phase that question right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think the problem is the big hand.

Our eyes are used to see certain combinations in pictures. I see the magnification of the big hand. Now if I see a similar situation in a photo, the hand is big, and the body is distorted because of the focal length and all that photography jazz, like wide-angle or fisheye lenses would do. Thats when you go really near to the object you want to photograph. Front Big, stuff getting smaller and smaller into the background.

See Example

The other extreme would be a papparazzi photo, zoomed in from a distance of hundreds of meters, with a hyper zoom lens. There will be very little size differences. The hand would look the same size if it points to the viewer or in any other position.

And heres the problem: You're mixing zoom view and fisheye view into one image. See this example, you're mixing the first and the last one.

Now i'd sugges to make this hand smaller, like 1/3 or so smaller, i think you'll see it if you mask it in photoshop and play with resizing.

I hope this makes sense..

cheers
    -a

Thanks
    Thanked 5,926 Times in 2,380 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I would add to start to develop the larger shapes first; things look piecemeal. It is Like you would focus on one thing at a time and not develop them in relation to each other. So his head and body in the first one don't really look connected, same with the forearms in the second piece

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Kfeeras- I'm not sure I really understand all of that. I think I might get a point to start with, just don't ask me what that point is. lol I used this photo as reference: http://romancylvania-stock.deviantar...ose-1-24771989 Would this photo be a lot like your first example? I admit the second example doesn't make any sense to me. Thanks for explaining though.

@ dpaint- Okay, thanks for telling me. I'll keep this in mind.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Demonize Skull

I finished this a little while ago, and finally decided to upload it. It's over a DA as well.

Used some brushes from the brush forum here. I love them. I had a skull/horn day that day probably from learning about bones from figure illustration class. I looked up some skulls 'n horns for some reference.

Mostly it was a experiment gone right in my opinion.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.