• Drawings from Imagination

7 33.33%
  • Other (please comment, thanks!)

2 9.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Bye for now

Thanks
    You're right about the FF piece being cool - I love all the detailing in the costume. (They usually have fairly cool artwork for that series, though. Great designs.)

Nice head study. You can definitely see an improvement in proportions on the lower-left female head, but I did giggle when I saw the guy next to her.. I don't know if you're an MST3K fan at all, but (if you are) he looks like Brak/Exitor from This Island Earth. (Pic here, guy on the right. The "aliens" in the film all had large foreheads/long heads.)

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Riley Stark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice work. I love the Bridgeman studies, try using one of those poses for your original stuff
    Every name is a Lie. My name is Seth.

Sketchbook Support Group!
    My Sketchbook Strawhat Intrinsik ceriously Ricky

5. The Following User Says Thank You to eldritch48 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I sencond that bit about the Bridgman studies. They look great!
    My Site
    Please comment on my sketchbook!
    Sketchbook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Benjy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ businessappsguy - Uh, I'm not sure if you're a spammer, but if you're not then thanks!

@ intrinsik - HAHA that's hilarious! They must be twins. Unfortunately I'm not into scifi (funny cause I draw lots of scifi stuff), so I never heard of that show.

@ eldritch48 - Thanks! I actually got bored of my math homework, so I took one of the old Bridgman sketches and created a monster with it.

@ Benjy - Thanks! Bridgman is one of my favorites to study.

Sooo I tried doing another character in Photoshop and this time I managed to keep the lines fairly clean. Unfortunately I can't draw thin lines in Photoshop without screwing up, so it looks kind of like cell-shaded anime stuff and the design is waaay too simplistic. I think it's cause I don't know enough about armor or clothing. Overall the drawing doesn't compare to the Bridgman studies, but at least it was fun and it didn't take very long.

So I guess what I got out of this is I need to apply my studies more often and do more personal work (and finished work instead of sketches!) Plus avoid the anime style.

Attachment 918228

Attachment 918229
    Last edited by RickyS; May 14th, 2011 at 07:33 PM.

Thanks
    Yeah, it looks very anime, but that's fine. Did you try the brush Dave uses for sketching? It helps you control the line better I think..

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SketchyPages For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ strawhat - No, I didn't try it out before, but I saw a Youtube video with Dave's sketching brush. The problem is I'm using Photoshop Elements, so I don't get the same brush options as the full users. I don't think it's that big of a deal though.

I drew a bit more today than usual, but I'm slacking, slacking, slacking on everything. I did 2 doodles and I'm getting bored with drawing armor the same for every character, so I will have to fix that. I also did a photo study. The sketch is okay, but the painting is horrible because I've actually never studied colour and skintones are the hardest things to paint (for me). The last ones are additional portraits I did. The first two are self portraits from life (hard stuff!) and the last two are from imagination/memory. I personally like the guy in the bottom left. I wish I were as badass as him. Sooo I'm pretty much exhausted right now cause I've been staying up late to draw and catch up on school, which is why I'm ranting, but I'll probably go to bed early tomorrow. Too bad it's the BIG DAY TOMRROW with Algenpfleger and Janaschi on the Crimson Daggers, so I'll probably get excited by that and stay up late again cause I want to be as good as them some day.

Attachment 919275 Attachment 919276

Attachment 919277

Attachment 919278

Thanks
    Nice anatomy sketches. They're really cool.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to zerdron For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think the painting turned out quite well, actually. Guy in the bottom left is the best of the 4 following faces, I like his nose a lot. Bottom right is a bit pin-headed

15. The Following User Says Thank You to eldritch48 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eldritch48 View Post
    Guy in the bottom left is the best of the 4 following faces.
    Definitely agree. The eyes are good on that one, too.

The painting came out cute! The girl in it has a very interesting expression. (Almost like she's trying to hide a smile or stop a giggle. Makes me wonder what she's looking at that's amusing her.) My only real critiques would be about the eyes.

1.)She needs some upper eyelid creases -- It'll help set the eyeballs back into the skull some. You started to address it on the left eye a bit, but there's nothing for the right one to indicate any sort of depth. You did this great for the portrait of the guy that both eldritch and I mentioned liking before -- definitely put the same detailing into your paintings and you'll be cookin' with gas!

2.) The iris/pupil on our right side appears to be looking at us and the one on the left seems to be focused slightly off to the side. Since your sketch has them both focused forward, I'm assuming it's the left one that's off a bit. Shift it over some so that she's focusing all in one area.

Good job! Keep 'em comin'!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Riley Stark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ zerdron - Thanks! Now I need to bring them to the next level and do crazy foreshortening.

@ eldritch48 - Yup the bottom left guy is my fav too, but the guy on the right didn't work out as I planned, haha. I need to fix my problem with stretched heads...

@ intrinsik - Thanks for the critique. I agree the eyes are wierd, but I didn't notice the eyes were looking in different directions! I'll have to be more carful next time. I'll also try to apply your tips to future portrait paintings (might redo this one too).

Man I'm tired. I'm staying up past midnight for the 5th time in a row, plus I always wake up a 6:00 so it's hard to post the comments in this update! I'm surprised I can even stay awake at school (barely). If this was me a few month ago I would have went to bed early, but I guess the motivation to update the sketchbook and the Crimson Daggers keeps me going. After all, people like Bobby Chiu always stay up late to draw, so I'm going to try to too.

I didn't do any focused studies today, but I used lots of reference for the drawing I'm working on, so it counts as a huge study. I think I only did 1 finished drawing with a character and an environment in my life, so I'm challenging myself with this. Lots of fun, but I need to figure out how to make the lighting work. Plus I'm lazy so I'm reusing the alien guy I drew 2 days ago in this pic.

Attachment 920066

Attachment 920067

Thanks
    Cool start My advice would be to shift up the perspective a bit, as it stands now it's very static...a more "worms eye" view with 3 point perspective could work really well here.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to eldritch48 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    For the portraits, a few more softer edges on the features will make a lot of difference I feel, as well as breaking up the line in some places(Not outlining too much). But yeah, that comes with the details.

The environment looks cool!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to SketchyPages For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Very nice SB. Love the progress on the figures.

Be sure to do studies of scenes from films you like to get an idea for how the scene, and perspective are constructed.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Blondebeard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ eldritch48 - I agree, the worms eye view would be awesome, but it was hard enough to keep everything in proper perspective with the 2 vanishing points. I was just being a coward! I'll have to do more perspective studies, but you're right, the perspective could be pushed a lot further.

@ strawhat - I know, I have a huge problem with outlining because I do so many line drawings. It's a habit which makes painting harder. Oh well I'll try soft brushes in the next one, thanks!

@ Blondebeard - Thank you! I actually took your advice and did some studies from movies and I learned a lot of stuff I never knew about perspective before, but now it seems more complicated than it used to.

My school had a sporting event which I didn't hear of, so I was stuck in the library for the afternoon, but this was good because I could draw! I tried to render a guy from my imagination and it turned out great. The samurai was from reference.

I also did composition studies from movies. I learned a lot from these! What I discovered was the majority of movies are either closeups of the actors, fast blurry action sequences or cluttered crowd scenes. There weren't as many establishing shots or environments as I though. And if there were, these shots were really quick. Maybe I'm watching the wrong sections of the movies...

Otherwise I learned that scenes in movies are full of detail and overlapping forms which makes them harder to draw because I dislike overlapping forms. Oh well I'll have to practice it, but at least it's fun to draw from awesome movies.

Attachment 920885

Attachment 920886

Attachment 920887 Attachment 920889

Attachment 920890

Attachment 920891

Thanks
    Your portraits from imagination seem to have similar hairstyles? I guess that's deliberate? Nice line quality though.

The movie studies are very interesting. (Though I can't remember the scene from Battle Royale). I seem to recollect Lord of the Rings having quite a few establishing shots? Anyway, they are generally quick unless it's someone like Sergio Leone directing!

Great to see you upload every day. Keep it up!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to SketchyPages For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.