• Drawings from Imagination

7 33.33%
  • Other (please comment, thanks!)

2 9.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Bye for now

Thanks
    @ strawhat - Yeah you're totally right. I heard about squinting before, but I completely forgot about it! Thanks for reminding me.

Today's study was awesome! I remember when Vilppu's drawing were impossible to copy because his linework was so clean, but I managed to pull it off this time and apply it to my work from imagination! Unfortunately I'm still stuck with a cartoony style, but I guess it'll take some time before I can draw realistically from my head...

Attachment 916833

Attachment 916834

Attachment 916835 Attachment 916836

Attachment 916837
    Last edited by RickyS; May 14th, 2011 at 07:33 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Awesome figure studies. I love how you break them down into shapes and then build off that.. That's something I need to try more of myself.

Inspiring stuff! Keep it up! ^_^

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Riley Stark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey! It was neat to look through here. I really enjoyed your creature/robot designs, and you can see massive improvement through the first digitals and these latest ones. I also like how you did the life drawings, using the tissue box as a 3D cuboid. I never even thought of that. I think I'll grab one and do a few sketches myself tomorrow. One thing I would note is that in your imaginative faces, you're often placing the features so low down there's practically no room for the chin. I only notice this beause it is, in fact, something I do myself, haha. I'm not sure if you might be doing this already but try and mark out the features befor ehand and really see if there's enough room for the skull to dip in and back out again (or rephrase with proper terminology. I hope I make sense anyway.)

I think you're cranking out about a thousand times more anatomy studies than I am, but it's cool to be in a group where someone is working through the same thing. I think if you keep working you'll definitely reach your goal of a few art jobs this summer. That's what I'm hoping to do as well, though probably only portraits for the locals or something.

Looking forward to the next few updates.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ceriously For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ intrinsik - Thanks! Yeah breaking down figures into basic forms helps a lot. It's hard and frustrating to learn at first, but after a year of doing it the process starts to become natural and it helps make the drawings look 3D. Unfortunately it isn't the best method for realism, so I need to figure that out...

@ ceriously - Thanks for looking through my sketchbook, glad you liked some of my stuff! It's a good thing you pointed out my problem with faces because I honestly didn't know what I was doing wrong. I've been making the same mistake forever. I've actually been avoiding face studies and I don't use guildlines, so I guess I better start doing that and fix the problem for good! Yeah it sure would be nice if I could get an art job for the summer. I really want to do freelance illustration work, but I don't know how that'll work out, haha. It's funny because I have to do an illustration for my father anyway, which means I have to learn it no matter what. Might as well try to get a few small jobs too! But I have to study WAY harder if I want to achieve that goal! Good luck to you too.

YEAAAAH! I'm so pumped today because the people in my sketchgroup turned out to be awesome and I produced my best work in the past two days. The Crimson Daggers helps my stay focused so I owe a lot to Dave Rapoza! If he hadn't said you need to take action and contact people yourself or force yourself to do studies every day, I would probably be slacking off like last year. Unfortunately I have been slacking off at school for the past week, so I need to catch up on everything tomorrow which means I can't draw as much as I want to. Of course I will still do my daily study tomorrow (which will be Loomis heads and faces...)

Attachment 917058

Attachment 917065

Thanks
    Gosh, you are getting through a lot of work very quickly. I feel like a snail now, and yet inspired

Is it worth ordering the vilppu videos? I hear they aren't of the greatest sound quality(or even the video for that matter)

Good luck with your exams!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SketchyPages For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm sure you can achieve your goal the way you're cranking out work. I like the latest two pieces - there's a nice sense of movement in the first one and his expression is awesome. I think there's the same problem with both of them regarding the faces, though, but since you're gonna work on Loomis heads today I guess there's no point dwelling. She reminds me of Mischa Barton for some reason - am I totally off?

Anyway, yeah, you can see that your figures are really improving. Need to get working on them some more myself, evidently! It's great that you keep going back and applying your studies to imaginative pieces.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ceriously For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ strawhat - Thanks! I haven't seen the Vilppu DVDs, but I think they have the same info that's in the book (which is AWESOME!). I heard he recorded them in a noisy classroom (not sure) but if you can afford them they are probably worth it. You can actually see some of his videos on his youtube channel so maybe you can get an idea of his videos there. Haha thanks for wishing me luck on my exams, but I actually wrote them a long time ago and I did pretty good.

@ ceriously - Thank you! Since I've gotten better at drawing figures my next goal is to bring them to the next level by adding action and emotion (which is HARD!). I'm not sure who Mischa Barton is. I just got the ref picture from a hairstyle magazine.

Even after the Loomis study I'm still having problems with facial features... I think the problem is I make the heads too stretched so I erase part of the chin and it messes up the guidlines and proportions. Oh well I'll have to figure it out tomrrow because I'm sooo far behind at school.

But this Final Fantasy character sketch is AWESOME! If only I could draw like this out of my imagination (it was hard enough to copy it)...

Attachment 917617

Attachment 917618

Thanks
    Great drawings!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to businessappsguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You're right about the FF piece being cool - I love all the detailing in the costume. (They usually have fairly cool artwork for that series, though. Great designs.)

Nice head study. You can definitely see an improvement in proportions on the lower-left female head, but I did giggle when I saw the guy next to her.. I don't know if you're an MST3K fan at all, but (if you are) he looks like Brak/Exitor from This Island Earth. (Pic here, guy on the right. The "aliens" in the film all had large foreheads/long heads.)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Riley Stark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice work. I love the Bridgeman studies, try using one of those poses for your original stuff
    Every name is a Lie. My name is Seth.

Sketchbook Support Group!
    My Sketchbook Strawhat Intrinsik ceriously Ricky

18. The Following User Says Thank You to eldritch48 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I sencond that bit about the Bridgman studies. They look great!
    My Site
    Please comment on my sketchbook!
    Sketchbook

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Benjy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ businessappsguy - Uh, I'm not sure if you're a spammer, but if you're not then thanks!

@ intrinsik - HAHA that's hilarious! They must be twins. Unfortunately I'm not into scifi (funny cause I draw lots of scifi stuff), so I never heard of that show.

@ eldritch48 - Thanks! I actually got bored of my math homework, so I took one of the old Bridgman sketches and created a monster with it.

@ Benjy - Thanks! Bridgman is one of my favorites to study.

Sooo I tried doing another character in Photoshop and this time I managed to keep the lines fairly clean. Unfortunately I can't draw thin lines in Photoshop without screwing up, so it looks kind of like cell-shaded anime stuff and the design is waaay too simplistic. I think it's cause I don't know enough about armor or clothing. Overall the drawing doesn't compare to the Bridgman studies, but at least it was fun and it didn't take very long.

So I guess what I got out of this is I need to apply my studies more often and do more personal work (and finished work instead of sketches!) Plus avoid the anime style.

Attachment 918228

Attachment 918229

Thanks
    Yeah, it looks very anime, but that's fine. Did you try the brush Dave uses for sketching? It helps you control the line better I think..

23. The Following User Says Thank You to SketchyPages For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.