• Other (please comment, thanks!)

2 9.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Bye for now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah interesting. I'll see if music works for me. I actually like math and programming funnily enough but it gets tedious the more you get into it.

I agree with p sage about the measurements. It is something I tend to ignore when I do constructions or gestures. It all comes back to the very basics in the end.

Nice anatomy study.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Pixie Trick is online now Industrial Design of the Week Leader
    Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good words on drawing, mate! Very true. It's great to see you working so hard. I quite like the 'caricatures'. You've caught a bit of personality in each one.

I must say, however, p sage is spot on. Proportion is important. Check the length of you're girl's lower leg. Measure that in comparison to her body or head. Little checks like that keep everything together.

Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I almost always listen to music while I paint - I find it helps me with colors and moods. I have set playlists for various moods/feelings that I listen to to help me with inspiration for pieces.. If I'm doing just general work, I'll listen to electronica softly or various instrumentals; I can't listen to anything with voices if I really need to focus on something. (Especially if I'm reading. Voices are too distracting. Though, if it's really important material, I always wind up turning off the music to make sure I get maximum retention of the information.)

BTW - I had no idea you were still in high school! You've got a good head start on your work/skills then. I know what you mean about things changing all over the place in H.S., but it's to be expected. I'm sure that, whatever road you choose to pursue, you'll do awesome. Clearly you aren't afraid of hard work and that's the first step toward success. ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gee, your holiday is over already? I really know what you mean about just...wasting time, loafing around. I always hate myself when I get ready to go to bed at the end of the day and it's like, wait, what, I've done NOTHING today. Such a waste of time. Your determination is quite inspiring though. I will admit I have done a lot of loafing today, but tomorrow, er, tonight, I will get going on something productive so I can update tomorrow. Pity it turns out I have to a load more 'arty' junk for school - woe.

It's so cool to see how you've improved, though. I really like the life drawing studies of your room - so clean. I kinda like the skateboarder guy as well, but yeah, I'm not too fond of the folds because without the weight of rendering they just look sort of floppy. The latest faces are d'awesome. With the skull studies, I fancy you could do a fully rendered study of one. I was doing a lot of line drawings of skulls off the internet but when I was able to get my hands on a real one in school, I did a proper drawing and it really gives you a feel for the actual structure of it, which I find helpful anyway. Quite jealous that you actually have tests on anatomy. I guess that must be a real motivator.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ p sage - You're right about the proportions. That has always been the hardest thing for me. I usually just guess at the measurements, but I've been trying to get the measurements more accurate now. I noticed I usually make things bigger than they should be. It's still really hard to measure from life thought, but thanks!

@ ForgottenState - Thank you! I'm not sure which perspective studies you're talking about though. (I'm starting to lose track of my own studies, haha)

@ strawhat - Yeah, that's why I quit programming because if I can't handle the simplistic stuff, then I couldn't imagine advanced C++ or whatever, yikes!

@ Pixie Trick - Oh, thanks for pointing that out. When I was drawing the pose I measured 8 heads, but I got stuck because the girl was standing on her toes on her left foot. I guess I made her lower leg too long so it would fit the pose. I'll try to pay more attention next time.

@ intrinsik - Yeah, but I'm almost done high school in about 3 months or so. And even though I have a head start over some people, my competition for college is insane! I saw other 17 year olds who were already doing freakin' concept art for games. Then there are artists on this site who are even younger than me and paint like pros (like Miles). Of course those kids started drawing before I even cared about art so it's no wonder they are so good. I guess age doesn't matter as long as you work for improvement and have passion for art.

@ ceriously - Yeah my holiday was only 5 days. To be honest I used to waste a lot of time in the past and went to bed with nothing done too, but now I replaced all of my old hobbies (like video games, music, the internet, chatting, etc) and my new hobbies are drawing and researching things that will help with my art. But the replacement didn't happen overnight. I actually don't know how I did it, but somehow I stopped being interested in my old hobbies because I noticed they wouldn't get me anywhere in life, so I guess it's just about doing things that will help you in the future. Art is nice though because it is pretty much related to EVERYTHING in the world. It's cool to research anatomy, mechanics, fashion, hairstyles and stuff like that because it all relates to art. It's funny how you're jealous of my kinesiology tests though because they are mostly on terminology and medical stuff which I'm not good at, so I'm barely passing the tests, heh. What actually motivates me in the class is getting the booklets with muscle diagrams to draw, then doing further research on the internet for more information. I wish I could find a real skull to draw...

I'm sorry I didn't update in a few days. I got overloaded with school work, I had to catch up on math so I wouldn't fail and I was tired from staying up late every night. I felt too tired to scan my drawings. In the end I got an A(~90%) on my math test (yay, huge improvement!) and I'm no longer sleep deprived, so I should be updating daily again.

First off in my kinesiology class we started studying the muscles of the upper arm and it's starting to get intense! But the awesome thing is I'm learning so much about anatomy now. It's great because I finally know the anatomical terms, so it's easier to understand the anatomy books. The bad thing is I have to MEMORIZE EVERYTHING for the class, not just the bones and muscles, but the individual parts of bones, the origin and insertion of the muscles and the action of the muscles. That's crazy because I have a horrible memory and almost failed some of the tests.

I'm also creating an anatomy wall in my room which Dave Rapoza mentioned in his streams and I'm copying anatomy plates from all over the place so I will really remember the muscles. Another great thing is watching medical videos to see how the real muscles and bones work.

I know some artists say learning all the anatomical names and medical stuff isn't important, but from what I learned so far I think it is ESSENTIAL to at least become familiar with the basic terms. If you know basic terms like superior, inferior, anterior, posterior, medial, lateral, etc, then everything else will make sense. After that if you learn basic bone terms like tubercle, fossa, foramen, etc, then the parts of the bones which are origin/insertion points for the muscles will makes sense (for example, the supraglenoid tubercle is a rounded bump on the scapula above the glenoid fossa and is the origin for the long head of the biceps brachii).

If you understand the names of the parts, then the locations and relationships are easier to see in diagrams and on real people, so that's why I think learning everything about anatomy is important. I guess you could remember the muscles as "that lump" which is located "about here", or you could learn the exact locations and functions by studying the names and details.

With that said you still have to be able to draw well in order to use that information in your drawings, so I guess I should stop here and practice more. By the way, the two figures from imagination are before I studied the muscles, so that's why they have no muscles, heh. Hopefully my newer attempts will be better!

Attachment 941641

Attachment 941642 Attachment 941643

Attachment 941644

Attachment 941645

Attachment 941647

Last edited by RickyS; May 14th, 2011 at 07:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I draw my characters very boney too. That, or they look like they are made out of rubber. The studies look good. The girl's left eye looks a wee bit small and also if you draw a line for the sterno mastoid muscle on the neck, it would give it more of a twist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool sketchbook man, great to see what big progress you made! I like that you work more with anatomy studies. Really cool industrial and inner architecture stuff as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff, per usual. I really like the perspective work on the last piece as well as the shading. (The screen for the computer came out particularly nice in terms of showing lighting.) My only critique for it is that the floor feels like it's sitting at the wrong angle in terms of where the horizon is. It feels like the floor is tipped towards the viewer, but not in a perspective way.. more in a "that table with the wheels is going to roll towards me and run me over" sort of tipping. LOL (I do this all the time with floors myself and always have to do them over to correct it.)

Good anatomy studies.

Nice work on the face in the initial post.

I like the figures, but I think I prefer the first one to the second one. It looks more solid. (But I like the face on the second one better than the face that's on the first one.) The guy in the second drawing looks like his feet are a shade on the small side for a guy his size.

Great update! ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ strawhat - That's a good tip for the Sternocleidomastoid. I was so into measuring that I forgot about that muscle! Yeah I had problems with the eyes. In the picture the left eye was slightly higher than the right eye, so maybe that's why it looks small. OH well.

@ LordVenom - Thanks! Yup, I need to do anatomy studies or else I'll fail my class, so that forces me to finally work on them. I like industrial design but sometimes the technical stuff drives me insane. Like yesterday...

@ intrinsik - Haha thanks, but I'm changing up my technique so my next few posts are going to be really crappy. That's actually a TV not a computer (kind of strange looking). Wow you have a good eye for picking out my mistakes. I don't know how I messed up the floor because I did measurements and all of that stuff, but I had lots of problems aligning the table. What made it worse was I was sitting at an angle, so nothing in the picture was parallel to the horizon. Next time I'll choose an easier angle!

Ahhh! Sorry for not updating again yesterday. I had a bad drawing day and I had problems with perspective, measurements and line quality (those basics). I rewatched the Scott Robertson DVD to get practice, but for some reason my lines were still wobbly and I couldn't even connect two dots. So I didn't do anything except pages of boring cubes, an airplane and a skeleton from imagination.

Speaking of imagination I realized after reading an art book that I have 3 huge problems with art. My problems are that I don't work on my creativity enough (like drawing from imagination), I care too much about perfection, so I don't go "all out" (afraid to make mistakes) and I don't draw fast enough (I'm slow as hell, haha). I guess a fourth could be thinking or talking too much.
    Since I have to work on these weaknesses, I'm changing up my technique (I think I said this before, but now it's for real). So for now I'm not going to worry about quality and instead focus on doing quick studies and drawing from my imagination.

I started today by drawing some robots, a 10 min car and 2 minute figure drawings from Flickr. As you can see most of the figures are horrible and way out of proportion. But I need to work on these figures in order to get better at drawing fast with limited lines. The only thing I hate about drawing from photo reference for this is most of the pictures are unusable for drawing. There's so many crotch shots (even on Flickr?!) and pictures of only half the figure or other crap that it gets annoying. I wonder how other artists get so much reference of the full figure to draw from. It's too bad DeviantArt isn't safe to visit anymore because I'm sure there are good stock resources there, oh well...

Attachment 943544

Attachment 943545

Attachment 943546

Attachment 943548 Attachment 943550

Attachment 943551

Attachment 943552

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, some days the lines come out all wobbly, especially if it's in morning when you're not warmed up. I'm setting aside ten minutes a draw just working on continuous line and connecting two points like Robertson mentions in his DVD.

The figures look ok.Do you go back and try to draw them out of your memory again? I really ought to do more of that.

Just a note on monitor calibration. Dave's got a blog post on it. http://daverapoza.blogspot.com/2010/...libration.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oops, double post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ strawhat - Oh yeah, I forgot about that blog post. My monitor is finally fixed, thanks! No, I didn't draw any of those figures from memory, but I usually do when I do photo studies. I don't know what I've been thinking over the past few days. For some reason I can't think straight! I'll do some memory drawings in tomorrow's study.

Holy crap I've been stressed out for the past couple of days over crap that's happening at school and with Sheridan. The ironic thing is it's no big deal and if I wasn't so worried then I wouldn't be as screwed as I am right now. Plus it doesn't really matter if I don't get accepted to Sheridan this year which is why I'm kicking myself in the ass for being so stupid. Hopefully I've learned my lesson.

If you read my first post you'll see I'm planning on updating this sketchbook less often because I waste hours lurking on this website. It helped in the beginning, but now that I have the self discipline to draw every day (an obsession), I need to bring that to the next level and draw as much as I can! The truth is the only time I usually have to scan my drawings in is from 8:00-10:00 P.M. After that I usually browse the site before going to bed and I used to draw some little things I didn't scan. I've also got into the bad habit of checking for updates in the morning. Those times could be better spent studying.

Since I've been stressing out (procrastinating) I don't have many drawings, but I guess the figures are better and I like the female face in the middle.

PUSH FOR VICTORY LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!!!

Attachment 944733

Attachment 944734

Attachment 944737

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh I guess you've applied to the animation department? Good luck with that! Although, like you said, come what may you still have to work hard.

The figures definitely look better than the other uploads. May be you can work o on detailing the dude in the bottom left of the last image(since you seem to have mastered drawing him in a lot of angles!)

Yeah, I try to upload every 3 days. That seems to be about the right amount.

And oh yeah, I do recommend you try Archambault's site. The trial period is I think a dollar for a week's access. There's a lot of content on that site.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL. I think the only reason I notice your mistakes is because I make similar ones myself and have to keep correcting them on my end, too. (Like, the floor issue I pointed out - I did the exact same thing on my 'Alice' piece and had to redraw the whole bottom once I had realized what I had done!)

Good looking figure studies, btw!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Rejected Sheridan Portfolio

@ strawhat - Yeah, I started with computer animation before drawing and right now that's where I want to head off to, but I need to build the traditional skills before I go back to computer animation.

@ intrinsik - It's always those same mistakes that catch us off guard!

Well it looks like I didn't get accepted to Sheridan's animation program this year. Oh well. They better freakin' accept me next year though (I'LL MAKE THEM!) I'm actually so pumped now to boost my skills so they will regret rejecting me. The nice thing about being rejected though is when I get into art fundies I can focus on life drawing from the model which I don't have much opportunity to do right now. Life drawing sessions are RARE.

I decided to upload my portfolio to get feedback since it's over with. It's hard to see some of the blue lines due to the scan. It would be great to get some honest and harsh critique, especially on the character and things like perspective, proportion, line quality and structure. Anything I did wrong or did right, things I can improve or things I need to do I'll be happy to know.

Maybe they just disliked the hairstyle I gave my character (but it actually works in the turn around, heh.) Plus I know people who have this hair in real life.

Attachment 945483 Attachment 945485

Attachment 945487

Attachment 945489

Attachment 945490

Attachment 945492

Attachment 945527

Attachment 945495

Attachment 945499

Attachment 945500

Attachment 945501

Attachment 945502

Attachment 945503

Attachment 945504

Attachment 945505

Attachment 945507

My57 is offline I will live forever or DIE TRYING! Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I put "other" I think you need to work on everything! You can't try and focus on one thing for to long.

Wish you luck in art fundamentals!

Last edited by My57; April 1st, 2010 at 07:03 PM.
    My observational skills may be great but i said nothing about my drawing skills

My Blog/Tumblr

My Sketchbook - College Years

My Sketchbook - High School

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please comment on my deviant art I need friends T-T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BUY MY SHIRTS PLEASE - They're awesome.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to My57 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HI RICKY, i hope you wont mind hearing some critiques from some stranger...
    well i think you did a really good hand drawing and story board.
    your structure works are good, but i feel the lifedrawings are not done from life..my friend from sheridan recommended me to use conte instead of pencil, as it can show more movement and finer line work..
    i cant really judge your character design, cause im bad at it ;(
    and for the room drawing, you should show more a more dynamic and detailed perspective for the second one.

wish you luck in fundie as well!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to aFractionoftheWhole For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there. I think for coming out of high school, that it`s a pretty good attempt. I have seen way worse, and I think with another years practice, that you will have a good shot. I just found out that I got into the animation program there on Tuesday. It was my second attempt so I know what it feels like to go through the portfolio process for the first time without having a good idea of what they are looking for.

So here is my critique right now. I will try and just address major things.

Life Drawing -
    Your human life drawings aren't bad, especially the first two. There are a few proportion issues, but you show some structure which is good. I could be wrong, but I feel like they might have been drawn from photos, they just have that look to them. They do not feel organic enough. The girl has some major proportion issues, mainly the head and the arms.

Ill comment a bit on line quality, and this will address your entire portfolio on this subject. The main idea is that the closer something is to you, the darker it is. This helps to establish depth and create a sense of foreground, middle ground, and background. I notice through most of your images that you are using the same line weight, and I guarantee when you get your score sheet you will have been hit in the line quality department. Do not just think about line in terms of darkness or intensity, but thickness too. I say this because you also want to use line to show where stress or weight is on an object. But if it`s in the background, you can`t do this with line value alone since you can`t make it as dark as something in the background. Thus you can make the line thicker, while still controlling its value. Hope that makes sense...

Animals - Your animals are very cartoony and lack a lot of the finer details that could have made them more believable. Stuff like pupils, fully rendered faces, and paws etc...Next time use reference and make sure you capture the animal accurately. Anatomy wise there are a lot of flaws, and it looks like you just guess on the structure. I wouldn't be surprised if these end up being one of your weaker areas.

Hands -
    Your hands are one of your best pieces, if not the best. The only thing I would say for next time is to create a more dramatic wrist action. For mine I used a really simple action, but made sure I showed both sides of the hand.

Character -
    Your character is not bad, but he is pretty plain and doesn't show much personality. Try and come up with a back story next time, even adding a couple of accessories that portray him will help make him more believable. The pose is a bit stiff, and overall I think the legs could have been proportioned better. They seem to thin and small.

The expressions don't quite seem to follow the same model, and there are some discrepancies between them. Most notable is that you shaded his eyes in some expressions and didn't in others. The angry expression looks really weird, next time use reference, even yourself in the mirror. The shirt around his neck doesn't look like it is wrapping around his form.

Storyboard - So storyboard is counted in every single marking category, thus it is the single most important piece. Proportion is the first thing that hits me. Make sure you stay on the character model, don't go changing up the sizes of different parts. For instance, on the first frame, you made his hand way too big. Also, some of the poses are not believable for the action he is performing. In the second frame, the pose you used wouldn't allow him to get any real power in order to open the box.

Objects -
    Layout is most peoples least favorite part, and where they usually struggle the most, but I love it and it is hands down my best area. Compositionally, it is a bit boring since you have a horizontal perspective and your objects are all grouped in the center. You did overlap which is good though. The thing I notice the most is that you left out a lot of the little structural elements. Remember that cardboard is not just a single line, it does have a thickness to it. Same goes for stuff like the base of the glass, and the broken glass in the second one. The fire is really unrealistic and is not affecting the objects in a believable manner. You even have it just popping off the table. You want to make sure things are melting and burning, get reference or even burn the objects yourself and take pictures. Also keep in mind that fire does have form. Lastly, an element that would have explained why things are on fire would have helped, even just a small match.

Rooms -
    The first room is not bad, but try and add in more minor elements. By this I mean cups, glasses, dishes, food, whatever. Your rooms lack a sense of realism I guess. Meaning they look more constructed, like perfect showrooms, rather than something that is lived in. The second room is really stale and has a boring perspective. The sinks do not appear to have any depth and again, a lot of minor structural elements are missing.

Story Elements -
    So my favorite part of the portfolio is where I get to come up with cool story elements. Remember that the people marking them have to go over many hundreds of portfolios, so try and make yours as unique as possible. Most importantly it is your chance to have some fun and use your imagination. My philosophy is that no matter how technically perfect you are, your work will be hollow if it does not have a story of some sort behind it. So really push the story elements in areas like room drawings, storyboard, and objects.

Anyways there is my basic critique. I will try and scan in all of my stuff so I can better demonstrate what I am talking about, but I hope you got some useful stuff out of my ramblings. Really practice life drawings as much as you can, the rest is easy with a bit of help. If you want me to help you at all or show me your stuff just ask for my email too, or else I will probably see you at the pit next year working on your portfolio. Best of luck!

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Avvatar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I'm sure you'll make it the next time if you keep up your level of improvement.

Your portfolio is interesting. I don't really know much about requirement for such a portfolio but it looks like you needed to do a lot of line drawings.

1.I think with the figures, you could have given more depth by varying the line thickness (choosing more interesting poses would have helped probably).

2. Like Avvatar mentioned, the animals do look like they are made out of rubber. I guess having a reference would have helped but it's good to see the construction being done on all of them.

3. The hands look terrific. The knuckles may need more working through. And also both views are pretty similar.

4. I haven't done much character design at all. But, they look alright. I guess they do look generic in a way and may be don't say as much about the character as you'd like. The candle flame kind of a hairstyle is okay, but you need to tie it up with the personality to show that you've put a lot of thought into it.

5.With the kitchen sketches, there are way too many horizontals and some tangents which make it difficult for you to show depth.

Hope it helps!

Last edited by SketchyPages; April 2nd, 2010 at 03:51 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to SketchyPages For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Lots of work. I really like the first two figures - they look really well constructed. I agree that they don't look like they're from life, though. If you can't get round to some life drawing sessions, you can always draw your friends, family, yourself in the mirror or even just randomers in the library or something. I do think that drawing from life is quite a different experience to drawing from photos, so I'd just grasp at whatever opportunity you can for that rather than resort to photographs for your application.

I don't think the animals are as well constructed, but I guess this is because you have more knowledge of human anatomy than you do of bear/cat anatomy. It looks like you did an outline and then attempted to divide it all up - on the cat, anyway. I think it would have been better to actually draw the mass shapes first. It's not like you can't utilise your human anatomical knowledge in animals. I don't know a lot about dog anatomy but I can still look at dogs with a consideration of the same basic areas, sort of, like the rib cage, skull, etc. Actually, I think it's probably more about dividing the forms into basic shapes, like cylinders, etc. I do think you tried to do this, but it looks like it got a bit confused especially in the legs (which are kinda formless) and the main body. Like with the character design below with the basic shapes drawn in, I think you should have approached the animals like this, just sketching in the basic shapes and building from that.

err...but then the hands are really awesome! I guess it's a simpler form to tackle in comparison, though. I just think you need to work on constructing form using the basic shapes - you've obviously got the figure down to an extent but you need to start applying it to more complex poses and more complex forms in general, as well, so when you come back to animals you can do shape it in without necessarily knowing all the specifics of that form. I know Villpu does a few videos on this, I think tackling cylinders and cubes separately and then combining the two - maybe you could check them out?

Anyway, with the character, the one thing I don't really like is the face. It really just feels a little a weak in comparison to the rest. The action poses look greaaat to me, but then the face studies seem very simplistic and sort of inconsistent somehow. I think it would have been useful to use some sort of basic reference for these head studies - which you wouldn't follow, obviously, but it would give you a guideline to work against. The eyes in particular don't seem to follow from one picture to the next.

I like the storyboard but I think you let yourself down a little bit in the concept of it. I'm not sure if you had a brief or something but what about that guy fighting the dragon? Something a bit more adventurous like that would have been more interesting IMO. Then again, with only four boxes I guess it would have been a little difficult.

With the guy in the room, I would have liked more context. I mean, you've integrated a figure very well but I've no idea what he's gaping at because I can't see anything there.

It's a shame you got rejected, because I really like your portfolio anyway. At least you have a year to improve your skills up, though, which will probably work out a good thing. Good luck.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ceriously For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, thanks for the comments everyone! I didn't think I would get this many critiques, but I appriciate it! Now I see why I didn't get accepted and I think it's fair. It's going to take a while to reply to everybody...

@ My57 - Thanks for the feedback on the poll! You're right, I do need to work on everything, haha! It's nice you reminded me because I usually work on one area for a long time, then go to another, but I guess my problem is inconsistency. Today I tried to work on a little bit of everything.

@ aFractionoftheWhole - No I don't mind, I'd rather hear from a stranger than nobody. Hmm, I did do the life drawings from life because the requirements clearly said not to draw from photos. I had an open figure drawing workshop in the summer so thats when I did the 3rd one, the other two figures are people I knew which is why they posed with props, the cat is my pet and the bear is a model I have in my room. I was never taught how to do life drawings, so I drew them the same way I do the anatomy studies which are usually from books and photos. I hope they didn't reject me if they thought I didn't draw from life. Oh well, hopefully someone will teach me how to do it properly next year and if not at least I'll have the chance to go to life drawing every day.

@ Avvatar - Wow, thanks a lot for the long critique. That's just what I needed! It's funny because I did try to do some of the things you mentioned, like use reference for the expressions, but I guess I didn't have enough knowledge or practice at that point. I'll admit I did hold back on things like story elements and dynamic perspective because those were too hard for me at the time. I'll keep those tips in mind when I work on my next portfolio. Thanks for offering to help too, but right now I have to learn anatomy, posing and that stuff before I work on my next portfolio. It probably won't be until late in the summer when I start my second portfolio.

@ strawhat - Yeah they wanted everything to be done with lines only (no shading at all). Thanks for the tips. Animals are the hardest things for me to draw. Especially furry animals. I didn't notice I had tangents in the room drawing, uh oh! I'll try to watch out for those in the future. It was hard to fit the sinks in the drawing because they have a strange shape.

@ ceriously - As I said before I drew the figures from life, but I guess my technique looks like a Vilppu rip-off or something. To be honest I did Vilppu studies before I did the first two life drawings to practice structure, so maybe that's why they look photo referenced. I do know a little animal anatomy too (similar to human anatomy), but it's hard to apply because the fur covers up the muscles and landmarks, so I have no idea where everything is. You're right though, I was completely confused. I will study animals more in depth. Wow, it's funny how a few people think the hands are good because the hands were the HARDEST thing to draw next to the animal drawings. I was just lucky here because I drew this pose over and over again. You're totally right though I need to move onto more complex poses and forms because I'm getting good at the basic stuff, but what I'm stuck doing now doesn't help much for animating dynamic characters. I agree that the characters face sucks, but this is my first attempt at expressions. I had to follow loose guidlines for the storyboard too (although I could have made the action better). Yup, in the room drawing I was planning on having a monster there, but I couldn't pull it off. Thanks for the critique!

So today I tried to do more hardcore studies. I did life drawings and more memory/imagination drawings than usual. After I did each study I analyzed them and wrote comments beside some of them to point out mistakes. I see some of the awesome artists do this in their studies. I also had more quick figures, but I don't think anyone wants to see crappy 30 second drawings and I don't feel like scanning everything so there is just a sample page. I need to work on getting better gestures and poses... My visual library for posing includes only standing figures which are not good for animation. Wow, what a long week...

Attachment 946405

Attachment 946406

Attachment 946407

Attachment 946408

Attachment 946409

Attachment 946410

Attachment 946411

Attachment 946412

Attachment 946413

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The gestures look good,so do the heads. I think the way you about the fur is you try to focus on what are dark, and what are lighter, and drawing the lines in the line of the hair. Also you don't have match every line accurately, if you get the direction of the hair going right, it should look good eventually. Look for pattern changes near the landmarks to get a feel of the muscles and the anatomy.

I must say I'm hardly an expert at drawing animals but that was what I heard Matt Archambault say in a video

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Ricky, it's good you are doing a lot of studies! The main thing I notice is that a lot of your drawings don't look very dimensional, especially the animal and life drawings. Next time you do some drawings make sure you pay attention to creating a sense of volume. Also, for your facial studies keep an eye on proportion and axis lines. I notice a lot of the eyes/mouths/noses depending on which one, aren't in proper perspective with each other.

As for cat proportions, you either need to learn anatomy or just keep practicing until you can eye it accurately. Also make sure you compare body parts with each other, A LOT. This will help you keep everything relatively the same size in relation to one another.

Otherwise just keep drawing like crazy!

I just uploaded both of my animation portfolios. Starts with my first failed attempt followed by my successful one. Hope it helps you in next's years journey!

It's the link in my signature, can't figure out how to name it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ strawhat - I'm sorry but I'm not sure what you meant to say... The problem wasn't getting the fur in the drawing because rendering is pretty easy, but I was trying to get the basic forms drawn since this is more relevant for animation. Unfortunately the fur covers up the landmarks and mass, so it's hard to see what to draw, especially when the cat is lying down and their limbs are hidden.

@ Avvatar - Thanks for the critiques again. Hmm.. I tried to at least make the hand studies look three dimensional. Is it about using line weight or "drawing through" to the other side? I did try to use cross contour to make the forms look more 3D. As for the cats, yeah anatomy would help but to be honest the measurements and proportions get me every time for EVERYTHING. It also doesn't help that my cat keeps moving too, heh. I think the problem is when I start making measurments the process becomes mechanical and other aspects like perspective and the energy of the drawing suffers. I also try to keep the lines clean and don't erase much, so I just go with the flow. Maybe this is a problem too. I looked at your portfolios and I thought both were pretty good. It looks like they mark really tough, DAMN I need to work a lot harder to reach that level!

Argh, I got really sick yesterday, so it was hard to focus on studies. I also got a new sketchbook for life drawing/gesture drawing. I don't really like working in sketchbooks, but we'll see what happens. There are perfect opportunities to use it at school, but hopefully people won't accuse me of being a creeper, haha. That's one of the things I hate about high school. Most people don't understand the importance of life drawing and anatomy studies, so they make false assumptions. I remember doing a study of a skull in the library and some people thought I saw psycho for some reason. Oh well, I realize I'm writing random crap now, so I'll stop, but aaaah there's so much room to improve! I know I've improved A LOT since last year because I can draw things I didn' think I was capable of, but there's still so much work to do that I don't know where to begin. At the top of the list is life drawing, proportions, gesture drawing, dynamic posing, foreshortening, perspective, anatomy, imaginative sketching, storytelling, etc. I'll do my anatomy studies tonight and hopefully I won't be sick tomorrow so I can start the life drawings.

Attachment 948369

Attachment 948371

Attachment 948372

Attachment 948373

Attachment 948374

Last edited by RickyS; May 14th, 2011 at 07:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for taking a look at my stuff and for the comments! You're right about the character, it feels like every time I try and design them I think way too much and they end up being too stiff and lack the personality I want to convey. Compared to layouts I just feel so uncomfortable with characters so i get frustrated really easily.

Anyways, I was probably being a little too general with the life drawing statement. Your hands are looking pretty solid, it was the figures, gestures, and animals I was referring too. So if you can translate what you are doing with the hands to everything else I think it would help.

I also have trouble with proportions, I find I always make the torso too long when I am figure drawing so I am working on trying to pay attention to that. Most of it just comes from experience and practice, you'll get it naturally eventually. Otherwise using body landmarks and comparing the sizes of certain parts or areas is the most effective way of getting correct proportion.

As for making thing dimensional, it's usually a combination of things. If you draw something perfectly, then you don't need to draw the underlying structure for instance, it will just look "right." What you need to watch is how the forms interact and overlap each other. Also, for figure drawing for example, draw general shapes that describe the ribcage, pelvis, legs, etc..Don't just draw a square but a three dimensional box. Line weight is generally best used for describing weight and distance of an object in relation to the viewer. So if you have a figure drawing where one leg is in front of the other, you would make the front leg darker so that we know it's in front.

My57 is offline I will live forever or DIE TRYING! Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm glade your still going! Watch out on those legs my friend, they're a bit wonky in the rock star drawing. Keep an eye on form and proportion the most when you do figures, don't worry about fine detail at the moment. Just try to do as many studies as possible.

My observational skills may be great but i said nothing about my drawing skills

My Blog/Tumblr

My Sketchbook - College Years

My Sketchbook - High School

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please comment on my deviant art I need friends T-T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BUY MY SHIRTS PLEASE - They're awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah. I guess I work with line and tone, so I do look at the variations in the tones to help me figure out what's underneath. That's what I meant to say, anyway. The box forms and the figures look quite good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, you're getting a ton of comments, I pretty much agree with what everyone else is saying, no real need to repeat it. One thing I have noticed is that your bodies feel much more confident and polished than your faces, which usually feel slightly "off" proportionally..which may be what you're going for, but I don't think so.

Every name is a Lie. My name is Seth.

Sketchbook Support Group!
    My Sketchbook Strawhat Intrinsik ceriously Ricky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Avvatar - No problem, I tried to repay the favour. Yup, gesture drawings are REALLY HARD for me because I don't know how to capture all the information of a pose in such a short amount of time. The proportions and form just fly out the window. The only way I can get that stuff decent is if I spend a lot of time consentrating and analysing the subject, but gesture drawing doesn't allow that to happen. Thanks for the tips on overlapping forms and line weight. I tried your tips out today and it looks a lot better!

@ My57 - Of course I'm still going. I've got a huge goal, so I'll do anything to reach it and I won't let a few failures stop me. Unfortunately illness does a good job of interrupting drawing time so I wasn't very productive this week. You're right, the details are not important until I get the basics down solid. Those renders in the previous post were actually for a school assignment, but from now on I'm doing studies which apply more towards animation.

@ strawhat - Yeah, I don't have to use tone in my drawings for what I want to do, but after analysis I think your tip helps in both drawing methods. For example, looking closer at animals I noticed some of their patches of fur actually follow major parts of the animal's limbs (like certain wolves). In other cases the fur strands follow the contour of the body. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to occur in all poses and angles for every animal. Let's agree that fur makes it hard, but your tip is still useful, thanks.

eldritch48 - Well I don't think it's the quantity of comments that is important, but the quality. I guess I was lucky because I posted for help in another thread and people were kind enough to respond with good advice. It's funny how you think my bodies are more confident because in all honesty I find the body as a whole much harder to draw than the face. I guess mistakes are more noticable in the face because people are used to seeing faces more often than bodies and faces are generally the first thing someone sees. Plus attractive faces like the ones that fit the "golden ratio" are the HARDEST to get accurate because the measurements are so precise. What I learned from these replies is proportion is the key principle that makes or breaks a drawing, so all I can do is keep working at it and hopefully I'll be able to draw proportionally attractive faces some day.

I don't want to sound like a pussy, but today I felt sicker than yesterday and I still had to go to school, sleep deprived. It wasn't fun. Oh well, that's part of life. I actually have it easy because I saw a video of a comic artist who gets up a 7:00 or something and works until 2:00 in the MORNING, so that's a crazy dedicated guy. He's a real artist and deserves credit...

I didn't get a chance to do life drawing though because I could hardly breath or concentrate. I did analyse people and I noticed a lot of them (students) just sit around pretending to do something but they're not, haha. Some don't even pretend. Maybe I caught them at the wrong time. When I got home I decided to try another life drawing which took a long time and analysed the forms/measurements of the camera. I also tried line weight and it looks like a success (for today's standards). There are some flaws with measurements, but probably because I moved around too much. I will do more of these object life drawing studies because they seem more useful than photo studies and I need to stop relying on copying photographs because that only gets you so far. Plus it's actually more fun because I can draw at any angle I want!!!

Crap, I need to write less in my comments and use less emotes like a real human. Sorry for the text walls. The text walls actually help me review what I learned in the day, but I'm not sure if people are turned off by it...

Attachment 949234

Last edited by RickyS; May 14th, 2011 at 07:31 PM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1