• Drawings from Imagination

7 33.33%
  • Other (please comment, thanks!)

2 9.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Bye for now

Thanks
    I'm coming down with a flu or something, so today was not fun at all. I couldn't stay focused on my crimson daggers study, so I decided to add a twist to it. I think this is actually the worst drawing I did in a long time, but hopefully I'll get over it after my sickness is gone.

One things for sure though, Shaun White is FREAKIN AMAZING!

Attachment 909908

Last edited by RickyS; May 14th, 2011 at 07:33 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I dunno if my sketchbook is getting boring because I've just been uploading studies recently or if I'm doing it completely wrong, but could someone comment please? If I'm doing something wrong or not doing enough imagination drawings just tell me cause I'm confused right now...

Being sick sucks. I couldn't draw anything yesterday and it's hard to draw today too, so I did a digital painting during the Crimson Daggers and I'll try to do something later. It's a good thing I finished my portfolio early because if I left something off I would be screwed.

Attachment 910917

Thanks
    Okay I did some character design sketches from imagination for the ChoW, so hopefully this makes my sketchbook more interesting again. I know people are looking at my sketchbook because my drawings are getting views, so please comment, bash, critique.

Attachment 911193

Attachment 911194

Thanks
    Well, I thought over my situation today and I've come to the realization that I have a lot of problems which I have been ignoring. My major problem is I'm having unrealistic expectations about art like suddenly drawing epic, realistic characters and vehicles out of my head, but I have not studied enough of these subjects and do not understand much about mechanics, anatomy, clothing, etc. My second biggest problem is since I have improved so much within the first month of joining conceptart, I became a bit complacent and started to do less serious studies, but I should actually be doing more. I got kind of distracted by school and the Olympics, but I need to focus seriously on art and quit screwing around. If I become focused and do a lot of the RIGHT studies, then my drawings from imagination will improve, but until I change my attitude (which will be a challenge) I will remain stuck at the same level...

But no way am I giving up! In fact I think it's time to start fresh and try new things, so I switched back to pencil and paper for now. I'm still sick so it was hard to stay focused, but I had fun. When I regain my health I will readjust to a new schedule and create new goals to reach by the end of the school year. I actually have a goal to get some art jobs for the summer so I don't get stuck at a crappy job I won't like, but I definitely need to make major adjustments if I want to achieve that goal. So I guess the biggest challenge of all is to prioritize the little time I have.

Attachment 912431

Attachment 912432

Attachment 912433

Thanks
    Just some Olympic sketches for now...

Skeleton is a wierd sport, but the takeoff's look awesome.

Attachment 912764

Thanks
    So I was lurking around other peoples sketchbooks today and I guess I'm a little selfish because some people posted for months without getting any comments, so I guess I'll just keep posting and maybe some day someone will comment again, haha!

I finally did life drawings for real today! I refrained from doing them in the past because they seem boring (which is lie!). However I realized alll the epic artists study from life A LOT, so I might as well try to adopt their habits if I want to become an epic artist myself (pfft, good luck )

I must get back onto the road to greatness! Too bad school and parents get in the way.

Attachment 913118

Attachment 913119

Attachment 913120

Thanks
    Wow I missed one day of school and I suddenly got 3 huuuge projects and have 2 (or 3) tests coming up, plus the homework I missed when I was sick, LOL! It's funny how whenever I really want (need) to draw more I suddenly get a lot of work...

But this time I put my studies before everything else and FINALLY did another anatomy study of feet which is the HARDEST THING besides hands, along with more life drawings, whoo!

Unfortunately the scan quality won't be as good for the anatomy studies because I'm doing all of them in a big sketchbook that doesn't fit perfectly in my scanner.

Attachment 913844

Attachment 913845

Thanks
    Wow I barely finished my projects, but I still spent some time doing anatomy studies! It's awesome because we're FINALLY learning anatomy at school and we're supposedly learning 2nd year university stuff which is cool. It'll be nice because I can learn from the art side and the medical side, so I can really study anatomy in depth!

I also built a home made sketchbook which is pretty awesome (cost $0!) I'm going to use it exclusively for anatomy studies from imagination and I plan to do them on the bus and at school. So my plan right now is to get home and study anatomy while watching the Crimson Daggers stream before doing ANYTHING else so I will get it done no matter what. Then to see if I remembered what I learned I will do memory drawings in the cheap sketchbook when I wake up. Mix that with photo studies, character drawings and medical anatomy notes and I BETTER BE FREAKIN AWESOME SOME DAY!

I included pictures of my sketchbook because it's so awesome.

Attachment 914900

Attachment 914901

Attachment 914902

Thanks
    I was really tired today because I had no sleep last night, but drawing is my main priority now, so I managed to do studies of the female figure (studies from Sheldon Borenstein's book). Earlier someone asked me to draw Lightning from FFXIII for them, but I failed miserably, so studying anatomy after really helped. Plus for the first time EVER I managed to draw breasts which don't look fake or deformed, yay!

As for the memory drawing of the arms, I guess they didn't turn out too bad (if you can say that), but I had no clue what was going on, so I need to study that stuff again...

Attachment 915649

Attachment 915650

Attachment 915651

Attachment 915653

Attachment 915654

Thanks
    Today I felt like doing a digital painting study again because I want to gain a better understanding of rendering value and finishing drawings. It turned out better than I expected, but it could be a lot better. Of course I learned A LOT from this study, so it was worth it since I could have went to sleep, but I stayed up late to do the study instead. Now if only I can do this every night (maybe I will!)

Attachment 916426

Thanks
    Cool Sketches all around. I was wondering if you could perhaps push the values a little more on your digitals? Are you using a hard round brush throughout the piece?

Totally agree with the Daggers thingie. It's inspiring!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SketchyPages For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
    Cool Sketches all around. I was wondering if you could perhaps push the values a little more on your digitals? Are you using a hard round brush throughout the piece?

Totally agree with the Daggers thingie. It's inspiring!
    Yay first comment in like 2 weeks, thanks!

Yeah I agree my values could use a lot of work. I use mainly the hard round brush, but in some parts I use a soft brush, like for the shadow and when I attempt to blend. I also have a problem with hard edges vs soft edges, but I guess I have to do more studies to figure it all out. At least it's improving since last month.

Gooo Crimson Daggers!

Thanks
    Yeah I just Pm'ed you. I can probably contribute thrice a week.

A thing that I hear a lot from people about seeing values is to squint and try to see if your shapes hold. It sounds very obvious but we tend to forget the obvious things sometimes

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SketchyPages For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.