Sketchbook: Bye for now - Page 4

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Needs moar?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anatomy studies

6 28.57%
  • Finished (rendered) drawings

8 38.10%
  • Drawings from life

7 33.33%
  • Drawings from Imagination

7 33.33%
  • Other (please comment, thanks!)

2 9.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Bye for now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My favorites are the arm on the right and the boot on the left. The boot on the right seems to have a really short foot

Every name is a Lie. My name is Seth.

Sketchbook Support Group!
    My Sketchbook Strawhat Intrinsik ceriously Ricky
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice designs! I like the arm on the left too. The sword is cropped in the composition, it might be interesting to see it in its entirety. Good job with the references.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with strawhat about not cropping the sword - leads the eye right out of the piece. We want to see the whole thing because you put all this time into some wicked detailing on it! We're greedy like that.

Pretty cool designs costume-wise. I love that they're detailed enough that you want a closer look at the details, but they're not so detailed that they're too busy. Nice blend of ancient styles and modern elements, too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ eldritch48 - Thank you! Yeah, the foot looked wierd to me too, but these were classroom doodles and I was more concerned with getting designs down for a future character design rather than getting the proportions or anatomy right. I will have to study more of that stuff though.

@ strawhat - I cropped the sword because I thought the sword would take up too much room and if the character was shifted to the left, it would ruin the balance and composition, but I fixed it anyway. Thanks for the input.

@ intrinsik - Thanks! To be honest I wanted the designs to have more details, but I do not have that level of skill yet, so that's why they're so simple. I actually had to research medieval armor and figure out how each part was pieced together (so complicated!). I combined that medieval stuff with military gear and a bit of my generic scifi styled designs from imagination. There's still a lot of flaws, but I know it'll improve when I understan more, so I'm happy with it for now.

Ahhhhhh! This WIP turned out to be crazier than I anticipated! I still have A LOT to learn before I start doing more huge illustrations like this. Especially fantasy illustrations which requires even more thought and planning than straight-up realism! There are just too many factors I have no idea how to deal with like animal anatomy, volcanoes, armor, sand, fire, clouds, rocks, etc. Unfortunately it requires more research than I have the time to look into right now.

I know this won't turn out as epic as I hoped, but my goal is to at least get the painting done to as high of a level as I can before the deadline. After that I have to seriously study anatomy, real life, costume design, environments, etc because I've been slacking off too much lately and it's shows through in my work.

Thankfully I have a week off next week because of March break, so I plan to reorganize myself, get caught up on school, make a schedule and basically prepare for the future and that crap. It's really a shame that school is almost over for me and after that there will be all sorts of problems which will interfere with studying and concept art. Even if I'm going to art school next year, I know it won't be fun and games and it's SERIOUSLY important for me to develop better habits if I want to succeed in the program and after in a job. So I pretty much have next week to learn to suck it up and screw everything else but studying and drawing (plus I can't ignore my schoolwork anymore) because if I procrastinate too much it might not happen until the summer, and that will suck. I'm sure you're sick of reading this now, so enough of the rant, here's the updated WIP with my first creature design.

Attachment 927774

Attachment 927775

Attachment 927776

Attachment 927777

Last edited by RickyS; May 14th, 2011 at 07:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm. Again, I'm sure more details will come with more practice.Like you said, you could work on the dragon's(?) anatomy and other things. Still, it's great to see you trying something challenging. Now, you know what you need to study/work on. I ought to try construct things out of my imagination more and see if I my skill level can hold up. Then, I can go back and study the things I struggled with.

Good first effort.

Yeah, Scheduling. Most of us struggle with that. We usually end up having a lot more time in a day than we think we do. Just a lot of it is taken up doing things that aren't productive at all. Or doing more 'thinking' than 'doing'. Listening to people like Bobby Chiu talk about positive/negative motivation helps, I think, to keep your discipline.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, I really admire how you keep pushing your boundaries. I think you'll definitely achieve your goal at this rate. I like your teen challenge piece and I think it's really coming along. The only thing that stands out to me is that it doesn't really look like the dragon is aiming for the knight dude at all; he seems to be staring off overhead yet his fire is perfectly aimed. I agree about the dragon's anatomy as well. His head is good but then his actual body is just sort of hanging limp behind him. The way it's angled seems to me like it would actually drag him down. I think he'd need bigger wings as well. The knight guy is awesome, though! I feel so behind now, haha. The amount of planning you did/yu're doing for the piece is fab. Can't wait to see it finished.

Just to clarify what I said before, I didn't mean drawing the bridge of the nose in front view as part of the finished drawing. I just meant tracing the outline lightly so you can see if you've actually got the the nose placed right - you've often got too large a gap on either side. I agree it looks really weird otherwise.

Good luck getting everything sorted during school break. Same plan here, really. Last set of exams for a while, I hope.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ strawhat - Yeah that dragon is bad, but I have so much to work on with my creatures, so it isn't worth spending time to fix it. I don't really like creatures as much as I thought either. I'd rather stick to characters and vehicles or environments for now. It's funny that you mentioned people do more "thinking than doing" because that's probably my problem. I did lots of research to make sure everything was accurate in the painting, but in the end it didn't matter because the anatomy and stuff is still way off. Oh well, hopefully I'll fix this habit some day. Bobby Chiu is awesome.

@ ceriously - Thanks! I know the dragon was staring off in space because I just drew it like that in the sketch, but I modified it's eye, so it is staring down at the knight now. Hopefully that fixes it. I gave up on dragon anatomy, haha. It's funny how you think I did lots of planning because I actually wish I could have done more planning (and I should have), but I got distracted by research. This meant I could only do a couple of concepts for the armor and dragon. Oh yeah I think I see my problem with noses now! I didn't realize I had a huge gap in my drawings! I looked in the mirror and the gap is actually small! Thanks for pointing this out.

WHOOOO! I actually managed to finish my teen challenge entry before the deadline! It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to render, but it took the entire day. There are probably 10000000 mistakes I don't know about, but I'm done, so whatever. OF course, if you want to point out a mistake, please do because I'm open to critiques (and I like tips)! Tell me what you think.

I'm going to take a break from digital painting though because it honestly takes too long and I prefer drawing with pencil and paper. At least now I know I'm capable of pulling off a finished piece, so in the future I'll try again. The most important lesson I learned is to be patient and don't give up because it takes a long time to get good results, but if you can't work to the point where everything flows together, then you'll never finish the drawing. Unfortunately this is hard for me to do because at the beginning it's really boring and frustrating, but as you get to the end of the drawings it's lots of fun and easy. That difficult moment is a real killer though. Oh well, back to sketching and studying tomorrow, yay.

Thanks for the help guys.

Attachment 929383

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's just a few drawings. I thought it would be fun to draw scenes from some PSP demos I had. It's funny because I was sketching the bottom right screen and suddenly the screen started to shake and this HUGE monster attacked me from nowhere which ruined my drawing. I guess drawing from video games isn't the best idea, oh well.

The digital painting is a fail, but it kind of helped for painting fire in the dragon painting. I did more drawings too, but somehow I lost them when I was cleaning my school notes, oh well.

Attachment 930237

Attachment 930238

Attachment 930239

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The knight is beautifully rendered in the final piece. I don't know if the dragon's shadow looks a little off, but anyways Good job!! I see you have a silhouette of a dragon way way off into the distance.

Nice thumbnails too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the fire paint you did with the flame thrower looks pretty good for a quick job! (I feel your pain on getting mauled in game by a monster, though. I always look away from the screen at the wrong second, or someone calls to distract me.. and I look back to find I'm dead. LOL)

Nice vehicle! The perspective looks good. I also like the sketches on the next page - especially the steeple on the upper-right corner. Very cool!

Good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    strawhat - Thanks. The dragons shadow is off because I'm not sure how shadows work on organic forms, so I just cut-and-pasted the silhouette. Better than no shodow I guess (that would be strage). I'm glad you saw the other dragon in the distance! I added that at the last minute because I thought it would be a cool feature. It shows the world is populated by not only one dragon, but lots of dragons which the knight has to fight and who knows what else there is, so hopefully it makes the drawing more mysterious and interesting.

intrinsik - Thank you! I'm actually not happy with my digital work because I can't seem to figure out how to do it properly. I still don't know if I'm doing it wrong even though people have given me advice. Oh well, at least pencil sketching is fun and basic compared to digital painting, haha. I'm going to take a break from digital and try to master the pencil and eventually pen and markers.

Oh my god, somehow I was more awesome at drawing today and I didn't even do anything! I was inspired by Wesley Burt's sketches, but the difference between mine and his is he isn't afraid of overlapping or shading and he is awesome (amazing). It's my goal to do all of these things some day. I also struggle with subtle expressions which is disappointing, but at least I'm FINALLY able to draw (close to) realism and get close likenesses, whoooo! This is awesome! I overuse awesome. I also love sketching people who look badass or wierd. Drawing becomes more fun when you get to draw interesting people. Yay for stange things.

Attachment 931514

Attachment 931515

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks like you had a great day! The drawings are awesome(err..I mean terrific ). Lot of character in the heads. I think you can try to draw some of those heads in two or three different positions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    strawhat - Thanks! I did have fun yesterday, but I had even MORE fun today. I should probably try to draw the heads from different angles and draw them from memory, but I'm being a coward cause I know it'll be worse than my studies. Hmm, I think I need to just take risks and fail for once, so I'll try tomorrow and see what happens.

Wow, I don't know how I improved so much all of a sudden, damn! Maybe that teen challenge painting helped a lot more than I though? I dunno, but at least today I cranked out even better drawings. I also developed a strange interest towards fashion today, so I drew some Korean fashion photos to study the designs and listened to lots of Kpop (which is addicting!) Maybe the music helped because I was drawing Korean clothing and listening to Korean music, so the two together = awesome. Women and hands are still the HARDEST things though. I guess I'm getting better at drawing women...

Attachment 932404

Attachment 932407

Attachment 932408

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're on a roll! Good studies. It's alright if memory drawings come out worse than the studies. Now that you have done these fashion studies, try to see if you can remember the korean designs and the hairstyles when you draw out out of your imagination. Kinda stating obvious here, but these designs so cool!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    strawhat - Yeah, Koreans have nice clothes! Thanks!

Okay today I tried drawing one of the people I drew a couple of days ago in a different angle and I also tried to draw a Korean guy from imagination with different clothes. The imagination drawing was predictably bad, but I'm happy with the female in an alternative angle because I think it's better than my orignal drawing. Maybe it's because it's an easy angle? I also did some other photo studies.

Anyways, it's funny because now that I've been drawing better lately, I'm kind of afraid of suddenly getting worse and drawing crap and failing like I used to. I guess I need to get over the fact that I can't get worse as long as I keep drawing and studying, but sometimes the mind is stupid and doesn't think this way all the time. It's actually funny because with ALL of these drawings I starting them feeling they would turn out like crap and most of them were, but I ended up "fixing" them along the way. I dunno, it's just wierd because I keep thinking of when I struggled a lot and failed in the past, even though I am at at totally different level now. Oh well, whatever, haha. Hopefully I can be less of a pussy in the future...

Attachment 933261

Attachment 933262

Attachment 933263

Attachment 933264

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ricky!
    youve got ideas, just push those fundamentals!
    more anatomy and youll be on the golden road to shinetown

-HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-
    Crimson Daggers! live in the Danger Room, daily at 10am est!

http://livestream.com/danielsdangerroom

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Henchman 21 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are doing well The right shoulder of the guy with the vest is a little off I think, or maybe the right arm is a little longer than the left?

Anyway, good stuff, keep at it, and don't worry, you won't revert back to 'the suck' or anything

Every name is a Lie. My name is Seth.

Sketchbook Support Group!
    My Sketchbook Strawhat Intrinsik ceriously Ricky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff! Like you said you won't get worse all of a sudden if you keep studying/drawing everyday. It's just that sometimes improvements aren't noticeable so you just have to keep at it and keep pushing it. Love the blue sketches(wondering if they are prismacolor).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great improvement here mate! You're doing a lot of linework of people in your studies, but try to remember value, material studies and colour in there as well as doing the studies of other things. Draw the things around you (from life). If you want to draw a person, get a sibling, friend or parent to sit for you (having them watch TV works well ) If you do something from mind, pretend there's a spotlight from below, to side etc. and put in some values... There's a lot of different things you can do!

Oh, and have fun. Keep it up, you're doing great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Henchman 21 - Thanks man, I appriciate the comment. I agree, I've been slacking off on the anatomy studies lately, so I did some figure construction studies yesterday and I'll do real anatomy studies starting today!

eldritch48 - Yeah his right shoulder is wrong because I tried to make him move his arm up to make a more interesting pose, but I guess it didn't work. The arm is also longer, haha oh well. My main focus was to practice clothing, so it doesn't bother me that much. You're right, I shouldn't worry about getting worse because I'll always move forward (especially after a failure), thanks!

strawhat - I guess you're right, I need to draw moooore. The only reason I used the blue pencil is because I got tired of regular pencils smudging and colored pencils don't smudge. I do have prismacolor col-erase pencils, but the one I used here is actually an old "Ticonderoga Erasable Pencil". I actually think it's the best pencil because it lets you draw really light, if you don't press hard it erases good, it lasts forever (haha) and it doesn't show up in scans if you draw light. The primsacolors are still good, but for some reason I like this one better.

Pixie Trick - Thanks! Yeah, I do lots of linework because I was required to use only lines and no shading in my animation portfolio, but you're right, I should tackle shading more often. I plan to take a break from the computer today to do life drawings, so I will experiment with shading and that stuff as well. I always have fun drawing things I like.

Noooo! I can't believe March Break is almost over and I hardly did anything but waste time. I'm not religious, but a Bible quote that would sum it up is from Romans 7:15 - "I do not know why I do the things I do. I do not do what I want to do. But I do the things I hate."

I read a few artist bios yesterday and it's funny because it seems like most of them struggled in their early 20s to get their act together too, so I guess this phase is normal. It's really hard to do though because it's so easy to get distracted by other things, especially on the internet and at school (plus school has lots of people who are BAD influences). I haven't even cleaned my room, made a schedule or did my homework from last month.

The guy who really kicked my ass though was Brad Rigney in his Crimson Daggers interview yesterday. Damn, it seemed like he really had to learn a lot of life lessons the hard way and he was so honest about it. That interview I won't forget...

So yeah, I need to get my act together and get off this freakin' computer and draw more. Sorry if I sound a little negative in this update, but I feel like I screwed myself over this week, so I have to be more responsible for my choices and correct my bad habits. I don't feel bad about myself since it was my fault, but I have to learn from my mistakes now. Today I'm going to try to correct my behaviour by doing an anatomy study for an hour, then I'll turn the computer OFF for the rest of the day and just draw! I'll see what I can do and hey, if my drawings are garbage at least I DID SOMETHING and it'll be fun. Besides, what do I have to lose in a day that I didn't already in a week? I'm going to fight back procrastination and negativity and win!

(I also have to learn to type less, haha)

Attachment 934390 Attachment 934392

Attachment 934394

Attachment 934395 Attachment 934397

Attachment 934398

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The last few batches of updates are really showing how much progress you've made! Awesome stuff! Your studies are looking great and the stuff from imagination is definitely starting to show the knowledge you've picked up from your studies. I especially like the pages with the rocker guy and then the page underneath that with the girl in the beret hat.

Lookin' good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    intrinsik - Thanks! That page is my favorite too! I dunno about my imagination stuff though, it still seems weak to me. I need to work on it more often than photo studies.

Yay, I finally focused on drawing today! It's funny because all I had to do was turn off the computer and I didn't get distracted at all, haha. That stupid computer can't fool me. Anyway, I studied the basic skeleton today and I did a memory drawing to see if I could remember anything. I remembered some parts, but I stuggled with most of it. I guess I'll study the individual bones then go back and see if that'll make the full skeleton easier.

I also did life drawings of my room. Unfortunately I'm still a pussy, so I didn't use any shading. These are actually similar to the room line drawings I had in my animation portfolio, except this time it took about an hour to finish each, but the ones for my portfolio took like 6-12 hours! By the way, I have more stuff in my room (like paper and pencils all over the place), but I kept it simple in the drawing because my focus was getting the perspective, basic forms and proportions correct which I did okay at, but there are still lots of errors. Plus it would drive me insane drawing the mess in my room.

Attachment 934905 Attachment 934906

Attachment 934907 Attachment 934908

Attachment 934909

Attachment 934910

Attachment 934911

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh my! You got through a lot of work in two days. Cool. I guess I need to do more of the same , i.e, turn the computer off and WORK!

Wish there was some way we can download Cryptcrawler's interview. His views were so interesting, especially the part where he talks about how he didn't go around posting his work everywhere in order to boost his ego. Finding a balance between honestly critiquing yourself and seeing your improvements.

It's also quite tempting to buy his tutorial download. Hmm.

The studies from your room look good.Though the monitor looks odd without a keyboard or a CPU! I think even if you don't want to do any shading, you can probably still show depth by varying the line quality (thick and thin lines) and also breaking the lines in some places. I can't tell if the perspective on the table in the last image is odd.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    strawhat - Hmm, I think the host of a livestream video (Dave) can download the video, but I'm not sure. As for the drawings, you know what, I totally forgot about the computer, haha! I can't believe I missed that of all things... I also did try to use line weight, except in the first room drawing. I guess I could try out the broken line technique though.

Today I had to do some assignments for art class. I tried product design and it was INSANE to render with markers. I was so afraid of screwing up because one bad stroke would mean starting over (thankfully this didn't happen). By the way, my scanner sucks, so the contrast in the markers is really screwed up. I also drew a skateboarder and although the drawing turned out awesome, I guess people will say that it needs shading or line weight (it really does). Hey, at least the lines are clean! It looks kind of boring on screen as opposed to on the paper though. Oh well, my teacher can't complain if I call it a "contour drawing", so it's okay, but I'll have to do a pencil rendering eventually for "variety".

By the way for the marker render I modeled the product in a 3D program to make life easier and used it as a template, so that's why the perspective and form is perfect. 3D comes in useful sometimes.

Attachment 935772

Attachment 935773

Attachment 935774

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice thumbnails. I always find it difficult to render with markers so I'd say you did a greaet job!

Looks like you put a lot of thought into the design too. Just wondering if there's a compartment for the processor if it does have one. It may be battery powered? Could be interesting to show a compartment if that's the case.(or may be they've discarded batteries completely and just operate on solar power). Just some random thoughts

Last edited by SketchyPages; March 21st, 2010 at 01:51 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ strawhat - Yeah, markers are really hard to use properly. I thought the product could run off of some wireless bluetooth technology and I guess it could be battery powered. There is a space in the front of the product, so maybe the battery could fit there? I dunno, it was just a fun design for a silly school assignment, so I'll let the engineers of the future figure all of the technical stuff out. I'm sure they'll have something cool in the future that'll work.

Well school starts again tomorrow (damn!) so I'm updating my sketchbook early so I can catch up on my homework. For my latest sketchbook assignments I drew some cartoon characters (maybe they're more like "caricatures" since I drew them using photo reference, but I changed the design of some of them.) I also drew another girl and this is the best girl I have ever drawn! I finally didn't mess up the face! (but I almost did!)

Hey, if you're wondering how I drew the girl, then here's a SPECIAL EXPLANATION OF MY PROCESS:
    Remember to scroll down first to see the drawing, haha.

Okay, the first thing I did was draw a really light gesture of the pose which is usually not very accurate, but still helps me place the forms. Sometimes I also draw perspective lines, but this figure was simple, so I just drew a ground line for the feet. This ground line is actually as important as the horizon line IMO.

Next I just construct the basic geometry of the figure. For guys I usually use boxes and straight lines cause their figure is more rugged, but women are curvy so I used cylinders and curves here. Since I drew really light and used blue pencil you probably can't see much of the construction lines (the first image has the contrast and everything jacked way up, so the blue lines turned black, haha). I must stress this though, you HAVE TO construct the nude figure whenever you want to draw a person, even if they're clothed. The thing is, the figure has a lot of imformation on it which is used to help draw the clothes on top. For example, here you can see an ellipse around the girls waist. This was used to draw the skirt on top. Plus if you look at the stockings, they are form-fitting so it's pretty much exactly like how a naked leg would look, except it digs into the skin at the top. You can't draw stockings if you can't draw anatomically correct legs.

The point is you need to make sure the anatomy is good before you can draw any badass clothing on your figures!

After I construct the figure I pretty much do the same with the clothes. I block in the general shapes lightly, then I add details, like the folds and stuff. When you get to the details it helps to view the lines as shapes which have positive and negative space instead of just lines. This'll help make their form stand out more. And remember to use a SHARP pencil or a small brush working digitally so you can really get the details right.

So yeah, that's pretty much my basic process. This process can be applied to drawing from photos, from imagination and maybe even life. It's actually important to use this process, ESPECIALLY when drawing from photos so you're actually learning how to break down the figure in the same way you can apply to drawing from imagination. That way you aren't mindlessly copying contours. Plus the results look better and 3D which is the goal! The only problem is it takes a long time to finish because you have to make 7+ layers of lines, (gesture, basic construction, anatomy, block in clothing, clean up, add detail, add line weight, rendering(?), etc). It isn't useful for quick sketching, so use it only when you have time to contruct everything.

If you actually read all that text, I hope it helps. This is just a little present for the readers and my SSG because I think it might be useful to know what I learned over the past few months about drawing. Maybe I'll have a better (and quicker) process in the future.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention you NEED TO BE PATIENT when you're drawing or else your lines will look like crap. The truth is if you want clean lines you need to be focused and not have a lazy hand or mind or else it will be messy and messy lines can ruin a drawing. It makes it hard to read the forms which can be frustrating. That's why it helps me to listen to music so I don't get bored or frustrated. It also takes a lot of practice to use this method and you need to know the rules of perspective and anatomy off the top of your head. I obviously don't know much about anatomy so there are still errors in this drawing, but the process will at least help.

Attachment 936419

Attachment 936422 Attachment 936425

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice post! That's pretty much the process I use to construct things as well but my execution leaves a lot to be desired. The key word, like you said, is PATIENCE. Trying to rush through the process in order to get to your favorite step will only slow you down. I actually found listening to music to be distracting , especially after Richard Williams' views in the animator's survival kit!

Really good linework again. You sound like you are in (or have completed) an animation program. That's interesting because I started out much the same (with Maya) before realizing that I ought to have started with 2d.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ strawhat - Yeah, sometimes music can be distracting like when you're reading anatomy books and especially music with vocals or extreme music like death metal. However I started listening to instrumental music, video game soundtracks, electro and foreign music, so it isn't as distracting. Either there are no voices or I can't understand them and they blend away. It's kind of like background noise which doesn't bother you, but keeps your attention. I also have a hard time concentrating and tend to get bored or my mind wanders without something to hold my attention, so music just helps me stay focused and not fall asleep. There are also other reasons, like for inspiration and it calms me down if I'm getting frustrated. I guess some people are different, (such as Richard Williams), but I don't think his reasoning is good enough (especially since it's based on what Milt Kahl said...) The thing is, he using the excuse of his (mentor?) that he can't focus on more than one thing at a time, but when I'm listening to music while drawing I ONLY focus on drawing. After a while I actually don't notice the music at all and my mind is clear. Betty Edwards mentions this shift (into the artist state, "right brain mode") in her book. Plus music is way less distracting than my parents talking or my pets, so I could argue that if I didn't listen to music, my focus would be on a million other annoying noises.

Maybe I'm just over reliant on music like an addict is reliant on their morning coffee, but I personally find it helps. I actually think the key difference is Richard Williams doesn't listen to music when he's animating, which is way more complicated than drawing since you have to be aware of the motion between the frames. That would require more focus and thought, so perhaps music would be distracting in that sense. But if you're just drawing a picture on one "frame" then you don't have to worry about motion and all the other factors associated with animation, so music would be fine to listen to. Plus other artists listen to and are influenced by music too (like Dave and metal), so I guess it depends on what type of drawing you're doing. Just do what works best for you.

I'm actually not in an animation program yet (waiting to get into one next year, hopefully!) I'm still in high school, but I got involved with 3D on my own in grade 9. When I was a kid I always wanted to work on video games, but I hated art back then and I only knew of computer programming, so I was going to go into computer science. Before that I actually didn't have the internet, but I finally got it for high school and I looked into other areas of game development and discovered so much cool stuff! At that time I was addicted to Guild Wars too which has AMAZING ART, so that got me into 3D because I wanted to make the characters in video games. At that time I was naive because I thought I could be a character modeller or animator without being good at art, but I soon found out that art skills were required when my attempts failed (plus I knew nothing of anatomy). So much later I slowly got into art from crappy anime influence and DeviantArt (no progress there) until I started taking things seriously about a year ago and now art is my main focus. It's funny how so many changes happen in high school! Well no matter which route I take, thank god I'm NOT doing computer programming anymore because I hate math now and I love art, so programming would be a crappy job.

Wow, sorry I got a bit carried away with this reply, haha. Anyway, I actually think it was beneficial for me to start with 3D because it helps with understanding 3D spatial awareness, but going from 2D to 3D would have probably been easier...

Okay I wrote enough already (freaking over 700 words!), so this is just a detailed anatomy study of some bones. There are sooo many terms I have to memorize (this just a fraction of my test review)! I understand joints better now. That's all for today...

Attachment 937543

Thanks
    Thanked 1,674 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You seem to be learning a lot. Good for you. What you say about linework is very wise.

Watch proportions, though. At some point you will have to come to grips with it. Be very suspicious of those people who tell you to ignore it, because it will be proportion that comes up to get you every time.

Learn to measure. Don't be afraid of it; don't be paralyzed by it. Just learn to measure by life drawing, and everything will begin to fall into place.

Remember that plants are life, too, so you can start simpler than with the human figure.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome progress going on in here!
    I really like the perspective studies you did a few posts back, as well as the male femal skeleton differences, nice and clean ^_^

Keep it coming

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.