Follows
    Following
    You have talent.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mike butkus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Traveler - Thank you Traveler! I looked at that book preview and it looks awesome. Just the type of stuff I've been looking for! That Andrew Jones video looks great too. I saw him doing thumbnails in a program called alchemy a long time ago and I think his technique is nice, but it's also confusing... Unfortunety I'm broke because I just spent all of money on some important things and school, but as soon as I get more money I will try to get those for sure. Plus there are a few other Massive Black DVDs that are cool like Marko D, Jason Chan, El Coro, etc but I don't have the time or money for anything right now.

@ mike butkus - HOLY CRAP thanks for the complement, but I looked at your sketchbook and your drawings are freakin' unbelievable, so I think you're the one with talent, haha. But reading that comment from someone as good as you makes me feel like I can become amazing too so I'm pumped to work extra hard. Thank you, I will remember this whenever I'm slacking off!!!

YEAAAAAAAH! I think I aced my exams and I managed to maintain my marks somehow, so I'm really happy. I was away for a long time because I had no time to go on the internet much this week since I was busy working on a portfolio for Sheridan's animation program (oh damn!) It took me forever to finish the requirements because I had to powerlevel in such a short time, but I think it turned out okay. I still need to improve three drawings which aren't very good, but I learned a lot so even if I don't get accepted it was worth the effort. Plus imagine what I can learn in a year compared to one month.

A new semester of school starts tomorrow so I'm not sure if I'll be able to do daily updates again soon, but I'll try to eventually. I just hope my teachers won't give me a lot of work so I can draw more, but thankfully I have art class which gives me an excuse to draw, haha. Plus I'm finally taking exercise science so I can study anatomy in depth, WOOOOO!

I obviously did a lot more than these two drawings over the week, but I can't show anything in my portfolio and I didn't have time to scan my other drawings. I'll try to do that later...

Attachment 894924

Attachment 894925

Last edited by RickyS; May 14th, 2011 at 07:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AWESOME! I just mailed my porfolio this morning so it's finished 100% which means now I have FREE TIME! I can finally get back to drawing what I want and become more active on CA. I checked out the community activties section, so I might try some of those for fun and I will get back to studying medival times and work on my Battle Scene WIP (I might have ditched this WIP for a long time, but I'm still interested in it).

These are all studies from books (credit in order: Kevin Chen, Michael Mattesi, Michael Mattesi, Bridgman, Ken Hultgren, Ken Hultgren and Bridgman.)

Attachment 899889

Attachment 899891

Attachment 899892

Attachment 899893

Attachment 899896

Attachment 899897

Attachment 899899

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Coming along. Keep it up!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Traveler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Traveler - Thanks! I will.

Since I've only been doing traditional line drawings lately I thought it would be fun to get back into digital painting. I also found The Crimson Daggers yesterday and Dave Rapoza is awesome, so I'm going to do an hour of studies every day after school (I'm at school when it's live ) and listen to the replays so I won't slack off.

Holy crap compare this stuff to the digital paintings in my first post, LOL! This website has helped a lot (thanks to everyone who gave me tips!)

Attachment 901242

Attachment 901244

Attachment 901245

Attachment 901246

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The only thing I hate about CA is it's too hard to keep track of all the epic artists. I think I lost count around 63, lol. I'm kind of scared of clicking on sketchbook threads now because I might get caught in another WTF HOLY SHIT moment...

But then I stop because it would be a lot cooler if I was one of the epic artists. THAT'S THE PLAN!

This is a digital painting I did while listening to the Crimson Daggers today:

Attachment 902186

I also did some life drawings with a pen but those are a secret for now...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just another digital painting today. I'm still doing traditional drawings in addition to these, but digital paintings are more convenient to upload since I don't have to spend lots of time scanning (which can become tedious sometimes).

I'm having trouble with skintones and reflections on the skin (I think they are called speculars?)

The face looks horrible, but at least I learned a lot about painting figures and know what areas I need to work on. Plus it's a lot of fun.

Attachment 903160

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since I had a hard time with the face yesterday, I decided to do studies of the female face to work on the problems I have. It's funny how much of a better understanding you can get just by doing a few studies. I also thought it would be a good idea to start applying what I'm learning from the studies to my imagination, so I did some doodles with no reference as well (looks like I retained some knowledge!)

The first drawing of the guy is just a redrawn version of an old joke character.

Attachment 903879

Attachment 903880

Attachment 903881

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy crap I can't believe I haven't been on here in a week! Lots of stuff happened over the past few days which sucks. At least the Winter Olympics is awesome. I actually used to never care about the Olympics, but now I have more of an interest in sports because it's amazing what some people can do and there's a lot of good drawing reference, haha.

Plus Canada won 2 gold medals so far! WHOOO!

This is just some stuff I did. The first is a design of Cloud from Final Fantasy which I wanted to do for a long time, but couldn't do it because I wasn't good enough. It's pretty awesome because it took me so long to build the skill to pull off something like this BUT I DID IT! AND IT ONLY GETS BETTER! Hopefully soon I can design my own characters, but it's damn hard and I want to develop a more realistic style than my current one...

The other two are snowboarding studies I did while listening to the Crimson Daggers. I wish I could have the chance to snowboard once, but I don't have access to it, so all I can do is draw it (which is still lots of fun). Maybe I can do it in the future.

Attachment 908788

Attachment 908789

Attachment 908790

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm coming down with a flu or something, so today was not fun at all. I couldn't stay focused on my crimson daggers study, so I decided to add a twist to it. I think this is actually the worst drawing I did in a long time, but hopefully I'll get over it after my sickness is gone.

One things for sure though, Shaun White is FREAKIN AMAZING!

Attachment 909908

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dunno if my sketchbook is getting boring because I've just been uploading studies recently or if I'm doing it completely wrong, but could someone comment please? If I'm doing something wrong or not doing enough imagination drawings just tell me cause I'm confused right now...

Being sick sucks. I couldn't draw anything yesterday and it's hard to draw today too, so I did a digital painting during the Crimson Daggers and I'll try to do something later. It's a good thing I finished my portfolio early because if I left something off I would be screwed.

Attachment 910917

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay I did some character design sketches from imagination for the ChoW, so hopefully this makes my sketchbook more interesting again. I know people are looking at my sketchbook because my drawings are getting views, so please comment, bash, critique.

Attachment 911193

Attachment 911194

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I thought over my situation today and I've come to the realization that I have a lot of problems which I have been ignoring. My major problem is I'm having unrealistic expectations about art like suddenly drawing epic, realistic characters and vehicles out of my head, but I have not studied enough of these subjects and do not understand much about mechanics, anatomy, clothing, etc. My second biggest problem is since I have improved so much within the first month of joining conceptart, I became a bit complacent and started to do less serious studies, but I should actually be doing more. I got kind of distracted by school and the Olympics, but I need to focus seriously on art and quit screwing around. If I become focused and do a lot of the RIGHT studies, then my drawings from imagination will improve, but until I change my attitude (which will be a challenge) I will remain stuck at the same level...

But no way am I giving up! In fact I think it's time to start fresh and try new things, so I switched back to pencil and paper for now. I'm still sick so it was hard to stay focused, but I had fun. When I regain my health I will readjust to a new schedule and create new goals to reach by the end of the school year. I actually have a goal to get some art jobs for the summer so I don't get stuck at a crappy job I won't like, but I definitely need to make major adjustments if I want to achieve that goal. So I guess the biggest challenge of all is to prioritize the little time I have.

Attachment 912431

Attachment 912432

Attachment 912433

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some Olympic sketches for now...

Skeleton is a wierd sport, but the takeoff's look awesome.

Attachment 912764

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I was lurking around other peoples sketchbooks today and I guess I'm a little selfish because some people posted for months without getting any comments, so I guess I'll just keep posting and maybe some day someone will comment again, haha!

I finally did life drawings for real today! I refrained from doing them in the past because they seem boring (which is lie!). However I realized alll the epic artists study from life A LOT, so I might as well try to adopt their habits if I want to become an epic artist myself (pfft, good luck )

I must get back onto the road to greatness! Too bad school and parents get in the way.

Attachment 913118

Attachment 913119

Attachment 913120

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow I missed one day of school and I suddenly got 3 huuuge projects and have 2 (or 3) tests coming up, plus the homework I missed when I was sick, LOL! It's funny how whenever I really want (need) to draw more I suddenly get a lot of work...

But this time I put my studies before everything else and FINALLY did another anatomy study of feet which is the HARDEST THING besides hands, along with more life drawings, whoo!

Unfortunately the scan quality won't be as good for the anatomy studies because I'm doing all of them in a big sketchbook that doesn't fit perfectly in my scanner.

Attachment 913844

Attachment 913845

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow I barely finished my projects, but I still spent some time doing anatomy studies! It's awesome because we're FINALLY learning anatomy at school and we're supposedly learning 2nd year university stuff which is cool. It'll be nice because I can learn from the art side and the medical side, so I can really study anatomy in depth!

I also built a home made sketchbook which is pretty awesome (cost $0!) I'm going to use it exclusively for anatomy studies from imagination and I plan to do them on the bus and at school. So my plan right now is to get home and study anatomy while watching the Crimson Daggers stream before doing ANYTHING else so I will get it done no matter what. Then to see if I remembered what I learned I will do memory drawings in the cheap sketchbook when I wake up. Mix that with photo studies, character drawings and medical anatomy notes and I BETTER BE FREAKIN AWESOME SOME DAY!

I included pictures of my sketchbook because it's so awesome.

Attachment 914900

Attachment 914901

Attachment 914902

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was really tired today because I had no sleep last night, but drawing is my main priority now, so I managed to do studies of the female figure (studies from Sheldon Borenstein's book). Earlier someone asked me to draw Lightning from FFXIII for them, but I failed miserably, so studying anatomy after really helped. Plus for the first time EVER I managed to draw breasts which don't look fake or deformed, yay!

As for the memory drawing of the arms, I guess they didn't turn out too bad (if you can say that), but I had no clue what was going on, so I need to study that stuff again...

Attachment 915649

Attachment 915650

Attachment 915651

Attachment 915653

Attachment 915654

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today I felt like doing a digital painting study again because I want to gain a better understanding of rendering value and finishing drawings. It turned out better than I expected, but it could be a lot better. Of course I learned A LOT from this study, so it was worth it since I could have went to sleep, but I stayed up late to do the study instead. Now if only I can do this every night (maybe I will!)

Attachment 916426

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool Sketches all around. I was wondering if you could perhaps push the values a little more on your digitals? Are you using a hard round brush throughout the piece?

Totally agree with the Daggers thingie. It's inspiring!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to SketchyPages For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
    Cool Sketches all around. I was wondering if you could perhaps push the values a little more on your digitals? Are you using a hard round brush throughout the piece?

Totally agree with the Daggers thingie. It's inspiring!
    Yay first comment in like 2 weeks, thanks!

Yeah I agree my values could use a lot of work. I use mainly the hard round brush, but in some parts I use a soft brush, like for the shadow and when I attempt to blend. I also have a problem with hard edges vs soft edges, but I guess I have to do more studies to figure it all out. At least it's improving since last month.

Gooo Crimson Daggers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I just Pm'ed you. I can probably contribute thrice a week.

A thing that I hear a lot from people about seeing values is to squint and try to see if your shapes hold. It sounds very obvious but we tend to forget the obvious things sometimes

26. The Following User Says Thank You to SketchyPages For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ strawhat - Yeah you're totally right. I heard about squinting before, but I completely forgot about it! Thanks for reminding me.

Today's study was awesome! I remember when Vilppu's drawing were impossible to copy because his linework was so clean, but I managed to pull it off this time and apply it to my work from imagination! Unfortunately I'm still stuck with a cartoony style, but I guess it'll take some time before I can draw realistically from my head...

Attachment 916833

Attachment 916834

Attachment 916835 Attachment 916836

Attachment 916837

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome figure studies. I love how you break them down into shapes and then build off that.. That's something I need to try more of myself.

Inspiring stuff! Keep it up! ^_^

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Riley Stark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! It was neat to look through here. I really enjoyed your creature/robot designs, and you can see massive improvement through the first digitals and these latest ones. I also like how you did the life drawings, using the tissue box as a 3D cuboid. I never even thought of that. I think I'll grab one and do a few sketches myself tomorrow. One thing I would note is that in your imaginative faces, you're often placing the features so low down there's practically no room for the chin. I only notice this beause it is, in fact, something I do myself, haha. I'm not sure if you might be doing this already but try and mark out the features befor ehand and really see if there's enough room for the skull to dip in and back out again (or rephrase with proper terminology. I hope I make sense anyway.)

I think you're cranking out about a thousand times more anatomy studies than I am, but it's cool to be in a group where someone is working through the same thing. I think if you keep working you'll definitely reach your goal of a few art jobs this summer. That's what I'm hoping to do as well, though probably only portraits for the locals or something.

Looking forward to the next few updates.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to ceriously For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ intrinsik - Thanks! Yeah breaking down figures into basic forms helps a lot. It's hard and frustrating to learn at first, but after a year of doing it the process starts to become natural and it helps make the drawings look 3D. Unfortunately it isn't the best method for realism, so I need to figure that out...

@ ceriously - Thanks for looking through my sketchbook, glad you liked some of my stuff! It's a good thing you pointed out my problem with faces because I honestly didn't know what I was doing wrong. I've been making the same mistake forever. I've actually been avoiding face studies and I don't use guildlines, so I guess I better start doing that and fix the problem for good! Yeah it sure would be nice if I could get an art job for the summer. I really want to do freelance illustration work, but I don't know how that'll work out, haha. It's funny because I have to do an illustration for my father anyway, which means I have to learn it no matter what. Might as well try to get a few small jobs too! But I have to study WAY harder if I want to achieve that goal! Good luck to you too.

YEAAAAH! I'm so pumped today because the people in my sketchgroup turned out to be awesome and I produced my best work in the past two days. The Crimson Daggers helps my stay focused so I owe a lot to Dave Rapoza! If he hadn't said you need to take action and contact people yourself or force yourself to do studies every day, I would probably be slacking off like last year. Unfortunately I have been slacking off at school for the past week, so I need to catch up on everything tomorrow which means I can't draw as much as I want to. Of course I will still do my daily study tomorrow (which will be Loomis heads and faces...)

Attachment 917058

Attachment 917065

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gosh, you are getting through a lot of work very quickly. I feel like a snail now, and yet inspired

Is it worth ordering the vilppu videos? I hear they aren't of the greatest sound quality(or even the video for that matter)

Good luck with your exams!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to SketchyPages For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm sure you can achieve your goal the way you're cranking out work. I like the latest two pieces - there's a nice sense of movement in the first one and his expression is awesome. I think there's the same problem with both of them regarding the faces, though, but since you're gonna work on Loomis heads today I guess there's no point dwelling. She reminds me of Mischa Barton for some reason - am I totally off?

Anyway, yeah, you can see that your figures are really improving. Need to get working on them some more myself, evidently! It's great that you keep going back and applying your studies to imaginative pieces.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to ceriously For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ strawhat - Thanks! I haven't seen the Vilppu DVDs, but I think they have the same info that's in the book (which is AWESOME!). I heard he recorded them in a noisy classroom (not sure) but if you can afford them they are probably worth it. You can actually see some of his videos on his youtube channel so maybe you can get an idea of his videos there. Haha thanks for wishing me luck on my exams, but I actually wrote them a long time ago and I did pretty good.

@ ceriously - Thank you! Since I've gotten better at drawing figures my next goal is to bring them to the next level by adding action and emotion (which is HARD!). I'm not sure who Mischa Barton is. I just got the ref picture from a hairstyle magazine.

Even after the Loomis study I'm still having problems with facial features... I think the problem is I make the heads too stretched so I erase part of the chin and it messes up the guidlines and proportions. Oh well I'll have to figure it out tomrrow because I'm sooo far behind at school.

But this Final Fantasy character sketch is AWESOME! If only I could draw like this out of my imagination (it was hard enough to copy it)...

Attachment 917617

Attachment 917618

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great drawings!!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to businessappsguy For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1