2 9.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Bye for now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Bye for now

I'm taking a much needed break from the internet so I can focus on art and overcome my internet addiction. Which means I won't be updating my sketchbook anymore. It's been lots of fun and I learned a lot from awesome artists here, but without the discipline and focus I won't be able to develop the skills I need or apply their advice. Maybe I'll return in the future when I'm capable of self control. Until then it's DRAW DRAW DRAW!

PLEASE GO TO PAGE 8 FOR NEW STUFF!!!

Last edited by RickyS; May 14th, 2011 at 07:30 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Small update cause I'm busy with school work. This time it's a photo reference study of a snowy mountain since I'm working on a project which involves moutains.

Attachment 871056

Last edited by RickyS; May 14th, 2011 at 07:34 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that last enviorment shows inprovement! Got any non-digital work? Looking at some of these makes me worried you aren't spending enough time before going digi.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cleverdart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Ricky, welcome to forum. I agree with Cleverdart on you showing improvement on the last painting. Huge improvement over the first ones. Keep doing those kinds of studies along with drawing and painting from your imagination and you'll improve for sure. You should also do plenty of anatomy studies as well.
    Here are a few links to help out.
    Kevin Chen's awesomeness
    http://characterdesigns.com/index.ph...page=tutorials
    Algenpfleger's sketchbook here on conceptart. If there's one dude on this forum who knows about improving quickly it's this guy.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114449
    Hope these links help out.
    Keep posting

Draw draw draw

Draw draw draw

Eric needs to DRAW DRAW DRAW

Do not Click Sketchy Sketchiness Do not Click

Deviantart page

Gotta sketchem all blog

Tumblr

7. The Following User Says Thank You to palladium For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleverdart View Post
    that last enviorment shows inprovement! Got any non-digital work? Looking at some of these makes me worried you aren't spending enough time before going digi.
    Haha, you've uncovered my weakness! I do mostly doodles on my spare time, but I don't do much serious drawing and I have only painted once since kindergarden. Some of my better drawings from December are scanned, which I have included at the end of this post. However I find I'm really inconsistent with drawing because sometimes things turn out great and other times they fail epically. Plus I usually throws those bad drawings out and only keep the good ones, so this is not really a demonstration of my average quality of art (which is much lower).

Thanks for the comment! I will set aside digital for now and go traditional until I get more experience and learn about the fundamentals. I will also keep my crappy drawings from now on and upload some of them in order to show a real representation of my skill, after all there's no point in hiding my weaknesses since I wish to improve.

Attachment 871203

Attachment 871204

Attachment 871205

Attachment 871206

Attachment 871207

Attachment 871208

Attachment 871209

Attachment 871210

Attachment 871212

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by palladium View Post
    Hey Ricky, welcome to forum. I agree with Cleverdart on you showing improvement on the last painting. Huge improvement over the first ones. Keep doing those kinds of studies along with drawing and painting from your imagination and you'll improve for sure. You should also do plenty of anatomy studies as well.
    Here are a few links to help out.
    Kevin Chen's awesomeness
    http://characterdesigns.com/index.ph...page=tutorials
    Algenpfleger's sketchbook here on conceptart. If there's one dude on this forum who knows about improving quickly it's this guy.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114449
    Hope these links help out.
    Keep posting
    Thanks for the encouragement! I have to say, Algenpfleger's sketchbook is INCREDIBLE! Honestly I just looked at the first page then went to a random page in between and I can't believe someone can get that good so fast (and only 19 too, damn!) Looks like I have lots of work to do.

I will look into Kevin Chens anatomy later, but for now I need to get back to my school work cause I've been procrastinating too much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment! I will set aside digital for now and go traditional until I get more experience and learn about the fundamentals.
    I'm a big believer in that play can be practice. Do what 'ya like bro

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cleverdart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Cleverdart - I guess you're right, but fooling around can only get you so far until you have to put some effort into studies to see any significant progress, otherwise you'll be bouncing back and forth between competency like me. Personally I want to become competent to the point where most of my drawing will turn out with some value rather than right now where 10% is okay, but the other 90% is trash. I guess it doesn't really matter since I'm just doing art for fun right now, however I have a big dream of being either a concept artist or animator in the future, so I might as well start studying my ass off now so by the time I leave high school I will have a decent level of ability. Plus studies can be fun too sometimes as long as you have the energy, time and sleep (which I have none of right now, damn research reports!)

I'm still busy as hell with that dumb research report and I got swamped with loads of other things so I didn't get much time to draw today other than a few sketches. I also decided to spend about 5 mins painting one of the sketches so I can use it as an avatar. LEVEL UP!

Attachment 872202

Attachment 872203

Attachment 872204

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would recommend practicing rendering. Your pieces will look better. Also, learning about proportion certainly wouldn't hurt.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dorkthrone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ ninjacat11 - Yup, rendering is another thing I struggle with, especially from imagination. I will look into basic rendering next, but I personally don't think it's a good idea for me to render my drawings at this stage since my structure is still weak. Plus I read somewhere in an art book that the best rendering in the world can't save a crappy drawing. As for proportions, to be honest that stuff confuses the hell out of me. I actually don't even think about proportions when I draw, but I guess it's showing through my art since you're not the only person who brought this up. Thanks for the feedback, I'll look into the propotion issues!

As for drawing, well today was surpirsingly productive considering I only got 3 hours of sleep last night! I was full of energy for some reason. By the way, the last two pages are studies from Kevin Chen's drawings.
    Attachment 872973

Attachment 872974

Attachment 872975 Attachment 872976

Attachment 872977

Attachment 872978

Attachment 872979

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your stuff so far :] Keep posting!
    Welcome to CA

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ColorExcursion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ ColorExcursion - Thank you!

Today I attempted rendering, although it's a lot harder than it seems. Especially in digital media! I guess my brain can't comprehend light and shadow yet.

On a side note I was doodling during lunch again and somehow I drew an awesome character design (last image)! I guess the anatomy studies from last night helped, haha I need to get into a routine where I'm learning anatomy every day, but there's just no time right now. Unfortunately I'm really inconsistent, so the other sketches and doodles aren't anywhere near as good. Oh well, I guess I just have to draw more to see improvement in those areas. I also need to stop drawing the same thing(robots) and work on environments or something different (it's funny because I often go through phases such as this robot phase.)

I'm going to start compiling a list of art tips I'm getting so I can conveniently reflect on the advice. Thanks to you guys I've improve a lot since I've been here, so I want to make sure I will remember to apply all the tips and not let them go to waste. This will be good for the future when I need to review an area of weakness...

Okay less talking, more art:

Attachment 873860 Attachment 873861

Attachment 873862 Attachment 873863

Attachment 873864

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today I decided to have another attempt at rendering in Photoshop and this time things turned out much better! I still have a long way to go though...

Attachment 874524

Attachment 874525

Attachment 874526 Attachment 874527

Attachment 874528

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The way you sketch anatomical parts is very appealing to me.

Everything is better with dinosaurs.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Brandon Pilcher For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ trexmaster - I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing since I still don't understand human anatomy, so the accuracy of my sketches is questionable, but thanks!

Today was one of those rough days when nothing really got done. Well I did do more than just one sketch, but it's too late in the day to upload everything. By the way I usually don't draw females, so this sketch was actually a huge challenge, haha. I need to work on drawing females more often...this is actually embarrassing, but I won't hold back anything!

Attachment 875171

Last edited by RickyS; May 14th, 2011 at 07:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WOW

Damn! I don't know how I managed to do this, but I told myself I would sit down for at least an hour today and attempt to draw a realistic face from photo reference. So I started drawing and it was turning into crap, but I didn't stop and after an hour I had a realistic face drawn! So I spent another hour on the hair, fixed tiny mistakes and this is what I came up with. My scanner isn't very good so it kind of ruined the shading, but damn I never knew I was capable of this yet! I guess the studies really helped!

Attachment 875933

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow I felt so drained today that it affected my drawing ability. School has been stressing me out lately since it's cram time before exams and other stuff is going on, but I'm still making an effort to update this sketchbook. Unfortunately I don't have time to do hardcore studies, but I did a study of a Loomis head which I think turned out good and some poor imagination crap.

Something that has been bugging me lately has been a lack of inspiration and drawing from imagination seems harder now. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I just can't seem to feel the 3D forms like I used to and my lines are becoming lazier even though I know I'm capable of neater lines.

Maybe someone who is reading this can give me some feedback on my progress so I would know if I'm really going in the wrong direction or I'm just tired and not thinking clearly and I have really progressed today. Or maybe I just need to draw something different and try dynamic poses. I would appriciate feedback cause I have no idea what I'm doing right now, haha. Thanks!

Attachment 876863 Attachment 876864

Attachment 876861

Attachment 876862

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick update. I think I solved the problem from yesterday because I felt good today and drawing was a lot of fun again (although my line quality suffered in the vehicle sketches, so it looks like I'll have to work on that a bit)... Haha, I have to cram two projects and a test tonight, but the good news is tomorrow I get a break, so I can finally do some more anatomy studies and I get to draw a comic for my school newspaper, yay!

Attachment 877944

Attachment 877946

Attachment 877947

Attachment 877948

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unfortunately I couldn't scan my drawings from today, but I will try to scan them tomorrow. In the meantime I tried a grayscale portrait study from photo reference. I spent about 2 hours on it and personally I think it turned out okay, but it could use a bit more work to complete it. The problem is I have a problem with overworking a lot of my digital paintings, so I want to keep things simple for now...

Attachment 878820

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some stuff from today as well as the stuff I couldn't scan yesterday.
    It's okay to leave a comment.

Attachment 879843 Attachment 879842

Attachment 879844 Attachment 879845

Attachment 879848

Attachment 879849

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't update in the past few days, but that doesn't mean I stopped drawing! I actually drew a lot more this weekend because I had to draw a storyboard and a comic page which took a lot of time. It ended up being a good experience because it showed me how much I need to learn! The hardest thing (for me) with storyboards and especially comics is the use of dynamic perspective and overlapping forms (ARGH). The issue was I didn't tackle these problems in my studies, so I was kind of screwed. I learned my lesson!

Unfortunately I can't show the storyboard and comic because the storyboard is a school project and the comic is for my school's newspaper, but here are some sketches. I'm going to try to draw more dynamic figures with overlapping foms from now on. It might be hard, but at least it's fun.

Attachment 882504

Attachment 882506

Attachment 882509

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work! Already seeing some improvements! You're on the right track by studying gestures and anatomy. I'd also recommend Bridgman's books...especially Constructive Anatomy. I see you've already gotten Hogarth Keep working on anatomy and watch those proportions. Keep it up

30. The Following User Says Thank You to jackpot_anjr90 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ jackpot_anjr90 - Thanks! Yeah, gestures are fun and I will get a chance to start studying anatomy in depth in 2 weeks when I take my exercise science/kinesiology class, yay! I have looked through Bridgman's Guide to Drawing from Life, but I don't know of Constructive Anatomy. As far as I know the complete guide is basically all the books in one, so I don't know if that's good enough or if the other books are worth it...

Unfortunately due to the end of semester grind I haven't been able to spend much time on the computer, however I have been drawing a lot. To start with I did 50 gesture drawings in ONE NIGHT! I really enjoyed doing them and I tried to feel the gestures as I drew them. Next is a bunch of character designs and I tried to work out the proportions in one of the characters, but I had some problems.

I tried to do the 8 heads tall thing, but I think it looks like the guys head is too small and his body is too long. So in Photoshop I edited the proportions to fit a 7.5 heads tall proportion which to me is more natural and it looks a lot better. To be honest I don't know what I'm doing wrong because it seems when I follow the rules everything looks strange. Plus in real life the ideal proportions don't seem to apply and there are a lot of factors which mess up porportions. For example, someone with baggy pants will seem to have really short legs, someone with high heels will seem to have longer legs and foreshortening pretty much ruins proportions. If anyone has tips please let me know because I know proportions are a big problem for me, but I am confused...

Attachment 884928

Attachment 884929

Attachment 884930

Attachment 884931 Attachment 884932

Attachment 884933 Attachment 884934

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm already seeing a lot of improvement here. Keep at it.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Dorkthrone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ ninjacat11 - Thanks for coming back to my sketchbook! I will definitely keep going.

I did more gesture drawings today, but while they were more challenging, they were also easier and turned out better than the previous ones. However I'm beginning to worry that I'm mindlessly copying too many of my studies and not learning enough from them. Even though the quality of my imaginative drawings has improved, I still find it really difficult to visualize how the poses look in my head before I draw them even if I have an idea of what I want to draw and studied a lot. Proportions are also harder to get right (although I've been working on improving my proportions). Plus imaginative drawing is basically a hit or miss for me, so sometimes I can pump out awesome drawings with little effort, but other times I will struggle to get even a simple drawing on the page with a lot of effort!

Maybe I just need to do more studies, change my drawing method or I need to pay more attention to what I'm drawing. Today I did try to apply what I learned from the studies to two imaginative drawings, but they are nowhere near as good as the studies (plus I spent a lot more time on these). A lot of things didn't transfer well, such as the gestural esscene of the poses which was the main focus of the studies and the fabric folds are poorly guessed...

If anyone has encountered the same problems and has some advice, please share! Plus it would be helpful to know if I'm approaching these studies in the right manner.

Attachment 887126

Attachment 887127

Attachment 887128

The last two are from imagination:
    Attachment 887129 Attachment 887131

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When drawing in photoshop, try to block out your main shapes in a very dark grey and work your way up to a light grey. Until you have your composition settled to a satisfactory degree, don't lose yourself in unnecessary detail, just big blocky... blocks?

Anyway, here's a link to an imagine FX tutorial/workshop by Marko Djurdjevic, I hope you find it useful: http://www.imaginefx.com/02287754330...hop-files.html

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Wooz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooz View Post
    When drawing in photoshop, try to block out your main shapes in a very dark grey and work your way up to a light grey. Until you have your composition settled to a satisfactory degree, don't lose yourself in unnecessary detail, just big blocky... blocks?

Anyway, here's a link to an imagine FX tutorial/workshop by Marko Djurdjevic, I hope you find it useful: http://www.imaginefx.com/02287754330...hop-files.html
    Wow, thanks a lot for the awesome tip! I didn't know Marko had a tutorial, but it was really helpful too!

I did another painting study and tried to incorporate your advice. I'll admit I cheated by tracing the silhouette, but everything else was freehand on 1 layer. Next time I promise I will not cheat, but this time I wanted to have a good foundation because I wasn't sure if it would work out. Next I tried blocking in the big muscle shapes with a large brush. I found I had to paintover a lot of areas because I kept making mistakes with placements and some of the brush strokes were too big. Even though I tried to avoid adding details I'm not sure if I did it properly, but at least this study is a lot cleaner the my previous ones, thanks again!

Attachment 887775 Attachment 887776

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Experiment good. Practice good. I like your little page of robot thumbnails toward the top of the page. Try cranking out another 5 or 10 of those. Seems to be a strong point.

SKETCHBOOK

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Traveler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Traveler - Thanks! I haven't done these robot thumbnails in over a month, but I used to doodle hundreds of them on the bus so it was fun to get back to making them. It's nice because you can go crazy with shapes, but I don't think any of these would be able to function in a real scenario. I will have to learn mechanics some day so the designs can serve a purpose...

Holy crap I have my exams in 2 days and I spent most of my day drawing and lurking on CA instead of studying! Looks like I will have to stay away from CA tomorrow...

Attachment 888073

Attachment 888074

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work on the robos. As to functionality, the main thing is to make them look like they could work. You don't have to understand all of the minutia. And yeah, studying real mecha wouldn't hurt.

Two recommendations for you. One book and one video.

Book: http://www.amazon.com/Mechanika-Crea...4483097&sr=8-1

Video (Thumbnail Demo by Andrew Jones): http://media.massiveblack.com/downloads.html#android4

If you haven't seen these two they're too good and too affordable to pass by.

PS Don't neglect that schoolwork.

SKETCHBOOK

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Traveler For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.