7 33.33%
  • Other (please comment, thanks!)

2 9.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Bye for now

Thanks

Bye for now

I'm taking a much needed break from the internet so I can focus on art and overcome my internet addiction. Which means I won't be updating my sketchbook anymore. It's been lots of fun and I learned a lot from awesome artists here, but without the discipline and focus I won't be able to develop the skills I need or apply their advice. Maybe I'll return in the future when I'm capable of self control. Until then it's DRAW DRAW DRAW!

PLEASE GO TO PAGE 8 FOR NEW STUFF!!!
    Last edited by RickyS; May 14th, 2011 at 07:30 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Small update cause I'm busy with school work. This time it's a photo reference study of a snowy mountain since I'm working on a project which involves moutains.

Attachment 871056
    Last edited by RickyS; May 14th, 2011 at 07:34 PM.

Thanks
    that last enviorment shows inprovement! Got any non-digital work? Looking at some of these makes me worried you aren't spending enough time before going digi.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cleverdart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey Ricky, welcome to forum. I agree with Cleverdart on you showing improvement on the last painting. Huge improvement over the first ones. Keep doing those kinds of studies along with drawing and painting from your imagination and you'll improve for sure. You should also do plenty of anatomy studies as well.
    Here are a few links to help out.
    Kevin Chen's awesomeness
    http://characterdesigns.com/index.ph...page=tutorials
    Algenpfleger's sketchbook here on conceptart. If there's one dude on this forum who knows about improving quickly it's this guy.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114449
    Hope these links help out.
    Keep posting
    Draw draw draw

Draw draw draw

Eric needs to DRAW DRAW DRAW

Do not Click Sketchy Sketchiness Do not Click

Deviantart page

Gotta sketchem all blog

Tumblr

7. The Following User Says Thank You to palladium For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleverdart View Post
    that last enviorment shows inprovement! Got any non-digital work? Looking at some of these makes me worried you aren't spending enough time before going digi.
    Haha, you've uncovered my weakness! I do mostly doodles on my spare time, but I don't do much serious drawing and I have only painted once since kindergarden. Some of my better drawings from December are scanned, which I have included at the end of this post. However I find I'm really inconsistent with drawing because sometimes things turn out great and other times they fail epically. Plus I usually throws those bad drawings out and only keep the good ones, so this is not really a demonstration of my average quality of art (which is much lower).

Thanks for the comment! I will set aside digital for now and go traditional until I get more experience and learn about the fundamentals. I will also keep my crappy drawings from now on and upload some of them in order to show a real representation of my skill, after all there's no point in hiding my weaknesses since I wish to improve.

Attachment 871203

Attachment 871204

Attachment 871205

Attachment 871206

Attachment 871207

Attachment 871208

Attachment 871209

Attachment 871210

Attachment 871212

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by palladium View Post
    Hey Ricky, welcome to forum. I agree with Cleverdart on you showing improvement on the last painting. Huge improvement over the first ones. Keep doing those kinds of studies along with drawing and painting from your imagination and you'll improve for sure. You should also do plenty of anatomy studies as well.
    Here are a few links to help out.
    Kevin Chen's awesomeness
    http://characterdesigns.com/index.ph...page=tutorials
    Algenpfleger's sketchbook here on conceptart. If there's one dude on this forum who knows about improving quickly it's this guy.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114449
    Hope these links help out.
    Keep posting
    Thanks for the encouragement! I have to say, Algenpfleger's sketchbook is INCREDIBLE! Honestly I just looked at the first page then went to a random page in between and I can't believe someone can get that good so fast (and only 19 too, damn!) Looks like I have lots of work to do.

I will look into Kevin Chens anatomy later, but for now I need to get back to my school work cause I've been procrastinating too much.

Thanks
    Thanks for the comment! I will set aside digital for now and go traditional until I get more experience and learn about the fundamentals.
    I'm a big believer in that play can be practice. Do what 'ya like bro

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cleverdart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Cleverdart - I guess you're right, but fooling around can only get you so far until you have to put some effort into studies to see any significant progress, otherwise you'll be bouncing back and forth between competency like me. Personally I want to become competent to the point where most of my drawing will turn out with some value rather than right now where 10% is okay, but the other 90% is trash. I guess it doesn't really matter since I'm just doing art for fun right now, however I have a big dream of being either a concept artist or animator in the future, so I might as well start studying my ass off now so by the time I leave high school I will have a decent level of ability. Plus studies can be fun too sometimes as long as you have the energy, time and sleep (which I have none of right now, damn research reports!)

I'm still busy as hell with that dumb research report and I got swamped with loads of other things so I didn't get much time to draw today other than a few sketches. I also decided to spend about 5 mins painting one of the sketches so I can use it as an avatar. LEVEL UP!

Attachment 872202

Attachment 872203

Attachment 872204

Thanks
    I would recommend practicing rendering. Your pieces will look better. Also, learning about proportion certainly wouldn't hurt.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dorkthrone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ ninjacat11 - Yup, rendering is another thing I struggle with, especially from imagination. I will look into basic rendering next, but I personally don't think it's a good idea for me to render my drawings at this stage since my structure is still weak. Plus I read somewhere in an art book that the best rendering in the world can't save a crappy drawing. As for proportions, to be honest that stuff confuses the hell out of me. I actually don't even think about proportions when I draw, but I guess it's showing through my art since you're not the only person who brought this up. Thanks for the feedback, I'll look into the propotion issues!

As for drawing, well today was surpirsingly productive considering I only got 3 hours of sleep last night! I was full of energy for some reason. By the way, the last two pages are studies from Kevin Chen's drawings.
    Attachment 872973

Attachment 872974

Attachment 872975 Attachment 872976

Attachment 872977

Attachment 872978

Attachment 872979

Thanks
    I like your stuff so far :] Keep posting!
    Welcome to CA

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ColorExcursion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ ColorExcursion - Thank you!

Today I attempted rendering, although it's a lot harder than it seems. Especially in digital media! I guess my brain can't comprehend light and shadow yet.

On a side note I was doodling during lunch again and somehow I drew an awesome character design (last image)! I guess the anatomy studies from last night helped, haha I need to get into a routine where I'm learning anatomy every day, but there's just no time right now. Unfortunately I'm really inconsistent, so the other sketches and doodles aren't anywhere near as good. Oh well, I guess I just have to draw more to see improvement in those areas. I also need to stop drawing the same thing(robots) and work on environments or something different (it's funny because I often go through phases such as this robot phase.)

I'm going to start compiling a list of art tips I'm getting so I can conveniently reflect on the advice. Thanks to you guys I've improve a lot since I've been here, so I want to make sure I will remember to apply all the tips and not let them go to waste. This will be good for the future when I need to review an area of weakness...

Okay less talking, more art:

Attachment 873860 Attachment 873861

Attachment 873862 Attachment 873863

Attachment 873864

Thanks
    Today I decided to have another attempt at rendering in Photoshop and this time things turned out much better! I still have a long way to go though...

Attachment 874524

Attachment 874525

Attachment 874526 Attachment 874527

Attachment 874528

Thanks
    The way you sketch anatomical parts is very appealing to me.
    Everything is better with dinosaurs.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Brandon Pilcher For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ trexmaster - I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing since I still don't understand human anatomy, so the accuracy of my sketches is questionable, but thanks!

Today was one of those rough days when nothing really got done. Well I did do more than just one sketch, but it's too late in the day to upload everything. By the way I usually don't draw females, so this sketch was actually a huge challenge, haha. I need to work on drawing females more often...this is actually embarrassing, but I won't hold back anything!

Attachment 875171
    Last edited by RickyS; May 14th, 2011 at 07:33 PM.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.