critique would be so helpful> a few pieces for a contest
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking critique would be so helpful> a few pieces for a contest

Hi!
    i apologize for not being on for a few months; i have been working on my master's thesis and will be done in just one week. anyway, there are a few fantasy art contests i will be submitting art to in the next week. Below are my pieces for submission. if anyone has any advice, suggestions that would help my chances i would greatly appreciate. I have posted older versions of some of these before, so they may look familiar. i am open to color, shading, anatomy, texture, perspective, etc critiques. thank you so much!

Attached Images Attached Images      
    help me become better!

deviant art

http://aliciad33.deviantart.com/

personal website

http://portfolio.colum.edu/aliciadisantis
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    in my opinion your first image is the strongest. Other too need anatomy work and colors are murky and composition is ok.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the first two. On the third the concept is nice but the platform the girl is on seems too steep to me. Just a few little thoughts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pic 1....Great work man with the coloring and whatnot. I think you should look into how you control the viewers eyes in the pic. The lighting you use sorta directs a person into the woods but it sorta falls flat once you reach it. Based on composition and the placement (considering rule of thirds tho its nothing set in stone) one would be looking for something at the end of that path. thats just how i look at it. i guess playing with the lighting could help to bring out the basket at the doorstep, since that seems to be a very powerful element. and the tree to the right of the doorstep is closer to the viewer but somehow it winds up behind the mushroom house up top.

pic 2...anatomy and some foreshortening corrections should probably be made. lighting is a big thing in this pic so just keep a keen eye on where light sources are coming from and how they hit everything in the image. i did a pic with similar lighting and there was a strong light outline on his right shoulder and stuff. just play with it and see if it looks alright maybe.

pic 3.... perspective friend. make a layer over the image, establish the horizon, and check to see where your lines and whatnot are heading to. some things look a little off. again, keep in mind how u control where the viewers eyes go. the little girl i can't say much on, i have no take on a childs anatomy lol. but i'd love to see maybe some wind effecting her hair and clothing but this is just me rambling now.

a stronger contrast on edges in general could help make things pop more since ur images have alot of overlap and depth. so read up on that to help push your creations even more in the future.

these are great though. keep pushing it and goodluck!

Last edited by JR McGee; January 4th, 2010 at 12:16 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.