View Poll Results: Vote for your favorite Europan - 2010: The Year we Make Contact!

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • gunnarsson

9 13.64%
  • Orion9282

8 12.12%
  • misleadtomisery

5 7.58%
  • Art4All

4 6.06%
  • Jan Jager

11 16.67%
  • zeeble

0 0%
  • RedPen

1 1.52%
  • retrodog

0 0%
  • Anthis

8 12.12%
  • SAHATY

4 6.06%
  • Arbinn

8 12.12%
  • BlkCelebration

8 12.12%
  • paulkang91

0 0%
    Thanks

C.O.W. #164 -- 2010: The Year We Make Contact -- VOTING

C.O.W. #164 2010 The Year We Make Contact - VOTING!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROUND #164 VOTING

Topic: 2010 The Year We Make Contact !

Deadline for the voting: Thursday 21 January 2010

Posting thread (closed): http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=176212.
    Last edited by Michael Jaecks; January 14th, 2010 at 03:37 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    hey first one out! looking forward to seeing the rest!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gunnarsson For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Here's my final

The idea here is that they're in a sort of in-between evolution state. Being aquatic, they have semi-transparent bodies, showing most of their internal organs which showcases their strength as a species that is worthy of having their evolutionary cycle sped up (formations of complex structural systems, respiratory, etc.). Their outer details (being all tentacle-y) is like some sea-dwelling creatures, but is also reminiscent of simpler single-celled organisms, showcasing their early evolutionary state. Hope you like... C&C welcome...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Orion9282 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Artist: misledtomisery

Concept: 2010: The Year We Make Contact
    crude creations of another life form to the eyes of humankind, europans seem to be well suited for their aquatic environment.

Thanks
    Artist: Art4All

Concept: Native Europan

In 20,001AD, the native europans have evolved into an amphibious crits that allows them to travel on ground as well, still mostly of them live in the water but some has traveled a long way to a land still covered in ice.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 388 Posts
    [B]JanJager: JanJager

Concept: European

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JanJager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Artist: zeeble

Concept: 2010: Year we made contact

An evolved more civilized form of the once simple but promising species.
    [B]Blog

Thanks
    Artist: RedPen

Concept: Europan
    This aquatic creature evolved since 2010 until the year 20,001 into an intelligent creature with a budding culture. In that time, it has also gained some features that allow it to traverse the icy lands above the waters below. It can use its webbed feet and hands to walk, though it is most at home in the water. All breathing apparatus is located on the chest, where its gills and "nostrils" are located. Also on its flippers are a finger and a thumb which are not webbed so that it may grip and manipulate objects.

Attachment 875198

Thanks

Europan: 20,001

Artist: retrodog

Concept: Europan (20,001)

I came up with this supplemental text to help myself when coming up with some ideas. I don't know if it's appropriate, but I threw it in anyway

--
    These Europans are quickly growing into a civilised, highly intelligent race.

The tendrils upon their back are a carry-over an earlier period in their evolution. During this time they were comparable to a crustacean, they could use the tendrils for communication and camouflage, sometimes simultaneously (The did this by hiding among urchins and other foliage).

We believe it is this ability to communicate silently & hide from predators amongst the fauna of Europa that has helped them to survive and become a prolific race. The tendrils can also be used to supplement swimming.

They primarily eat carrion, plankton, and specific types vegetation. They have been known to actively hunt, but given their relative size to the edible creatures, this is rarely successful. They have a varied diet, and a highly acidic & complex digestive system which seems immune to common disease and infection.

They've begun to create & standardize their own language, forming their equivalent to written word. Being that they communicate with a combination of sound & signals from their tendrils, it has been difficult to translate their tongue.

It has been noted that their palms emit a water-repelling wax-like substance which helps them grip objects.
    --
    Last edited by retrodog; January 11th, 2010 at 12:27 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,751 Times in 724 Posts
    Artist: Anthis

Concept: Native Europan alien

Take a look at my Website!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Artist: sahaty

Concept: 2010: The Year We Make Contact

Thanks
    Artist: Arbinn

Concept: Europan Shellglider

The Europan shellgliders have gained their name by the smooth way they slide through the water with their four paddles. They use their strong tentacles for movement as well but apparently only to accelerate. Their main purpose seems to be to hold the Europans still during their rest or in the occasional strong currents by grabbing something. It is claimed that the multiple tentacles could have other purposes as well but they remain to be found. The creatures communicate with a strong bioluminescence which allows them to hunt in packs and socialize even in absolute darkness. They have boneless and soft tendrils with fingerlike appendages at the end of them. The Europans are known to grab sharp stones with these "hands" and cut their prey to smaller pieces and consume it more easily this way since they don't have any teeth.
    Last edited by Arbinn; January 13th, 2010 at 04:33 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Arbinn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I understand if this does not go through to the voting round. I started late, and noticed the thread was opened so I kept working on it.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlkCelebration For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Gunnarsson That is so retro! I want to feed it quarters. I like how you are getting expression in thier bodies since we can't see their faces. A thing you may want to start trying for improvements is picturing the underlying bone structure of the subjects and posing yourself (as best you can with as few limbs as we humans are equiped with) as a starter base and building up from there.
    Orion9282 I love the way it looks, but it looks to me that the face tenticles on the left side of his face (his left) look shorter than the ones on his right, I get the curve and perspective would shrink them a bit, and it could be that the light is all over the place, but I don't feel they curve enough for equal length. I do love the Crawfish eyes and how you made the creature feel gelatinus and yet knife sharp! His dorsal fins feel a little cocked to his left and his right claw arm crossing his body makes it appear longer than his left one. If you follow the meridian/central line of his body you can really get a feel for it.
    Misledtomisery amazing work! I do note that some of the right limbs (it's right) seem longer than the left as they trail behind where the tilt of hip and shoulder suguest they should come forward. I love how you are working with atmospheric perspective to suguest size! Glowing eyes are always to be loved.
    Art4All I think with the angle of your critter's collar bone and the slump to its left, you may want to raise it's right arm so the shoulder disapears behind its head and neck a couple cm. Also, the general rule to body mechanics is: Shoulder up/Hip down; Hip up/Shoulder down. You have shoulder up/hip up. I like the fade of the tail, but wish either it was gradiated so that the fade is stronger farther from the body, or so that the back of the main trunk of the creature caried it in as well. I love the rim light touches, but without the complimenting shadows to correspond they lack the oomph they could give. You did good on the forward/back axis relationship of the hip and collar bone; hip back/shoulder forward, but the arms and legs landing on even planes with each other throws it off. Try drawing an imaginary line in your mind conecting each joint and end piece to its reflection and ask if you want them on the same planar layer, or if something was saposed to be somewhere else, like a foot behind for a step or a hand in front for a guesture. Contemplate weight distribution to the apendages and in relationship to the environment as well.
    JanJager This image is so much fun to look at! I love the tiny dead thing in its stomach. XD The only obviouse thing I can point out that you might fix is that her left eye is larger than her right eye. For perspective purposes you would want it smaller. It could be a personal issue of my own, but the fact that it has a jaw bone and teeth, but no bone structure in the rest of the body bothers me. ^^; I like the nervouse and circulatory systems visible, but with it's posture and humanoid apearance I crave a semblance of a muscle structure too...which almost seems there in the head and left arm, but the right arm looks ghostly in comparison. Excellent differentiation on the eggs with embryos compared to the ones without! You make the whole thing look like just another day in the creepy alien swamp.
    Zeeble Beefy! I get a feel of movement in the upper body that doesn't seem to carry down to the lower part. You might, in your tightening and refining process, pay closer attention to the symetry between the right and left side. Right now it looks like you could A) tighten things up and make it symetrical, but less mobil looking, or B) Push the buck in places and lend some movement in guesture by pumping up the uneven distribution of mass. The area that looks best lent to this idea is the part where the foremost ground tentacle meets the lowest reaches of the belly armor, and where the brownish tubular protrusion intrudes on said tentacle.
    Redpen OtterShark! Take that bunny huggers. XD I think it is cute, but the right limbs (it's right) are longer, larger, and more toned muscularly than the left.
    Retrodog As much badass work as you put into the torso I wish you would cary it through to the arms, head, tentacles, and the masses on its back side.
    Anthis He looks woefull. ^^ I think you made a character and creature in one! He is lovely. I do think that it looks like his body according to his back, shoulder blades, spine, and pelvis is oriented towards the veiwer where as his pubis, sternum, and clavicle are orienting to face away. I wish the legs and tail had more attenuation.
    Sahaty "Ew gross! What is that short creature?" says the cringing alien. Nice! I like the sillouette and shape. I wish we could see more of it!
    Arbinn Awesome! On one hand it looks like it is moving so many ways at once you lost symetrical placement, but then when you look at its face the withdrawn scrinchy look flows back through the body and you have a full body cringe. Freakin' sweet.
    Blkcelebration Pretty! Only two things I can see, the butt has a twist towards us, which just says to me that it can move a bit in it's shell, which just begs for the head to move a bit too. Also the lighting on the creature doesn't correspond well to the light on the environment. Consider one light source and how it would work best with the flourecence of the creature.
    Sethlene Yes...to myself...Get off your lazy ass and get to work! Look at all this awesome, and what have you put up?!?! Nothing. Pay attention to the sites you join and jump on the project when it shows up. Get something up!! XD
    ~Set A. K. E.

http://bumpytheshroom.deviantart.com/...and on Facebook as Set Elliott

22. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Set For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Redpen OtterShark! Take that bunny huggers. XD I think it is cute, but the right limbs (it's right) are longer, larger, and more toned muscularly than the left.
    Actually its hind leg is kind of bent behind its body, so I could see how that would look shorter. His front right limb might be worth looking at again sometime. Thanks for taking a look.

Thanks
    Artist: paulkang91

Concept: The Natives of Europa
    The highly evolved Europans worship the great monolith and guard it with great devotion. Primitive in culture, yet highly intelligent, the Europans' bodies are made up of a mixture of the moon's silicate rock and ice. Although seeming bulky and clumsy in form, these creatures are wonderful swimmers, and are amphibious in their lifestyle.
    Last edited by paulkang91; January 13th, 2010 at 09:23 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPen View Post
    Actually its hind leg is kind of bent behind its body, so I could see how that would look shorter. His front right limb might be worth looking at again sometime. Thanks for taking a look.
    Oh! Ok. I see what you mean now, you may want to bump up the emphasis with some rim lighting on the parts that cross back towards the light a bit and deepen the shadows closest to us, you know..."Push it REAL good!" And You are welcome!
    ~Set A. K. E.

http://bumpytheshroom.deviantart.com/...and on Facebook as Set Elliott

Thanks

argh right, somewhat of a final..

Artist: Harmageddon
    Concept: Europan 2010

Attachment 879508

Argh! too late to make the polls..
    ah well.
    It wasn't really finished anyway.

On to the next!
    I voted for Albinn btw, I like the alien-ness of the creature, and I think the colors work great.
    I also particularly like Janjager's see through humanoid amphibian.
    Last edited by Harmageddon; January 14th, 2010 at 04:22 PM.
    "...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    I really like JanJager's well executed transparent alien but I consider Anthis' little bugger more pleasant to watch. I voted for him.

I think Jan's Europan would have worked better if it wasn't so human.

I comment more after school.

Thanks
    gunnarsson
    Extremely stylish! It really looks like an old poster. It isn't exactly my taste which is why I didn't vote for it but it's very cool nevertheless.

Orion9282
    The creature is clearly big but for some reason it's missing the sense of hugeness in my eyes. It might be because of the head which looks too big.

misledtomisery
    Otherwise nice creature but there isn't anything for the eyes to fix on. The yellow eyes somewhat do the trick but the head should be more detailed and consist of something else than multiple eyes and tentacles.

Art4All
    Good colors and the feel of cold. The creature looks flat below the chest though.

JanJager
    Very impressive piece of work! The transparency works very well and the internal organs look nice not to mention the background. It looks too human for my vote though.

zeeble
    The body structure reminds me of Ursula from The Little Mermaid. I like it but I have difficulties imagining how it moves. Does it walk with the tentacles? The smaller tentacles at the sides look much lower quality than the rest of the Europan. The creature would look much cooler if you had worked more on texture.

RedPen
    The simple blue colors make your Europan stand out but I think it's pretty boring fishman.

retrodog
    Seen Avatar recently? The light seems to be coming from every direction. There is a strong highlight on the hip and the tail but the chest, stomach and head are also lighted which makes the creature flat. You should have made the Europan stand out from the background as well. Like RedPen's shark creature this one suffers from the Humanium Muchimus too. The tail looks pretty nice though.

Anthis
    Aaawww. It's obviously a pretty quick sketch but I like it a lot nevertheless. It's fun and easy to watch yet has enough details and attitude to keep it interesting. Good job!

SAHATY
    The drawing looks original but I wouldn't guess that's an aquatic Europan if I was asked.

BlkCelebration
    Looks rather good. If you had put more work on the details instead of leaving them rough I could have voted for it.

paulkang91
    You drew it by pen? Very nice. It looks flat though and the levitating body parts are a bit too much.

Harmageddon
    The jaws and neck look still cool but the drawing would have greatly benefit from a much stronger contrast.

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Arbinn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey, Sethlene & Arbinn. Thanks a lot for taking the time to provide criticism I really, really appreciate it!

I'll be sure to practice my lighting a more, and maybe give my creature designs a few more passes before settling on something!

Thanks again.

Thanks
    I really liked Janjagar's! Not only is the transparency done beautifully but it really gives the feel of the future. Well done!
    "Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbinn View Post
    [

RedPen
    The simple blue colors make your Europan stand out but I think it's pretty boring fishman.
    Eh, sorry you didn't like him. I was trying to go in an opposite direction from anything squid like, and I kinda agree that he's not that exciting.

Thanks for the feedback though.

And some for others:

gunnarsson: I think I really like the retro movie poster feel to this whole thing. The astronauts and their reflections in each others' helmets are wonderfully done. Unfortunately, I think the Europan's detail is a little less defined as the focus. I don't really understand the face. Still, you have done excellent work and overall and I look forward to seeing more from you!

Orion9282: Excellently rendered and colored. The transparency works well with your creature. I believe this alien also looks as though it would be small, despite the scaling by the submersible, because his eyes come across as "beady", which is something you tend to see on smaller organisms such as mice, other tiny rodents, and in the department of sea creatures lobsters and crabs and the like. Often smaller creatures are transparent as well, so that may be what the conflicting message is coming from. (though transparency in itself is no problem!)

misledtomisery: Another great job. I like that you didn't dive into the squid look here. He definitely looks crude, as you say. I don't have much else to add.

Art4All: Whoa, he doesn't look friendly! Interesting color choices, and they work. The one thing that I might nitpick on is that I wasn't quite sure where his head was facing until I spotted the teeth as I focused first on his ear tentacle. All in all, though, cool creature. Is that energy in his chest? Glowing fluid?

JanJager: Another interesting take on a transparent creature. That's a lot of interesting layer work going on. However, I think the background distracts from and obscures the detail and work you've put into the internal workings of its body.

zeeble: This was actually one of my favorites. i like the design of the crustacean meets squid/octopus kinda thing that's going on. It's simple, but it works. The colors are muted, but I think that in this case that is positive.

retrodog
    : I agree that the face of this creature reminds me a lot of the aliens in Avatar with the feline-like face and blue color. Still, there's some good stuff here. The tail's "scaling" and segmentation are the best parts of this work. Somehow the pectoral muscles and the arms just don't seem to work here, but definitely a good stab at the subject. Keep up the good work!

Anthis: Aww, it's kinda cute. I really feel the aquatic nature and intelligence from this picture and I was definitely trying to pick between yours and a couple others for the vote. There's not much I can say to crit this at all. I like it.

Sahaty: I like the tentacles and the glowing ends of them in particular. I think, however, the silhouettes kill the chance for detail that can set your work apart and show off your creature.

Arbinn: Very nice squid design with the crustacean swing. The shell designs are interesting and graceful looking (which is something I personally like in a creature design, since I think most creatures have a certain graceful look to them). The color, composition and atmosphere are spot on, along with a great description. You've got my vote.

BlkCelebration: This was my next favorite. I really enjoy the colors, the crustacean look to it and especially the face. It has some personality. The only thing I don't really understand is how it would move around in the water, as its tendrils look small and skinny to be moving its mass around. I think that's what became my deciding factor here.

paulkang91: Very interesting approach to this creature. He doesn't seem aquatic in any way though, and I would love to see his lower half, to create a full form.

Harmageddon: It's nice to see traditional media here. I really like the design of your creature. It reminds me of the images of the prehistoric fish, the Dunkleosteus. That'd be one hell of a fish to reel in! Anyway, as a critique, I think the background sketchiness is too low contrast in some ways and actually obscures the fins of your Europan.

Anyway, that's enough blabbing from me. I hope this was helpful.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RedPen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Arbinn: thanks, mate! You're absolutely right. I'm quickly afraid I'm going to ruin a picture by applying color, deep dark shadows, or heavy light sources. I'm more comfortable with linework, but of course, I have to learn that stuff, so thanks for the kick in the right direction. .

That's where I'm at now.. slowly moving in the right direction I think.

Attachment 880956

RedPen: thanks mate! I just read your crit! I was going for some Dunkleosteus like thing indeed, nice to see you see that too! (maybe it's a little too much like Dunkleosteus though). Awesome fish that was.. holy crap!
    I like the perspective you chose, as well as the coloring and the look on its face .. you see that with lots of creatures passing you by, they look, but not too obviously, just checking you out...pretending they're not really interested..
    However, coloring seems a little.. rough. Would benefit from a more finished look I think.

As for the rest of you, I think I pretty much critted everyone's work already in the wip thread, I'll head back and check.. to fill in those who've been left out.
    Last edited by Harmageddon; January 16th, 2010 at 06:36 AM.
    "...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Harmageddon
    The drawing looks much more interesting already.

Thanks
    Arbinn: thanks man! I'll drop you a line when it's finished.

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Thanks all for your useful feedback. I agree with everything you've said, Sethlene, Arbinn, and RedPen. There were a few things that I felt were off too... the size, the symmetry, and you guys articulated what I couldn't see before. Thanks again!

JanJager - Talk about transparency! You totally nailed it. Wow.

Anthis - I love your design... You captured something that I had been thinking about trying to do: a creature that doesn't look so menacing.

and

BlkCelebration - I love the color in yours. Excellent render.

Nice work all... Now I have to try to work on my zombie dino!

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Orion9282 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Good stuff!

A bunch of great entries on here! Good stuff all around!

I was the first one to post a WIP and probably the first to drop out! Ah, work. Well, I thought I'd share my efforts here after all. I had fun and figured out some new techniques. I'm showing this creature in warm water and cold water colors.

Looking forward to more challenges.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sardeanie For This Useful Post: