Gnomon Entertainment Design Program

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gnomon Entertainment Design Program

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone was a student in, or is currently enrolled In Gnomons Entertainment Design program. I am interested going back to school and i was interested in this program. I am also considering the Concept Design Academy http://www.conceptdesignacad.com/. I still have a long way to go with my art and im looking for the best school to help me build a good foundation. Below is a link to some of my stuff. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

http://oldocmadness.deviantart.com/gallery/

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My daughter has some experience with Gnomon

My daughter was at Gnomon last summer and will probably go back there when she finishes school at Cincinnati in Digital Design.

The entertainment design program is a bit misnamed. It really won't teach you entertainment design, per se. It is more of a foundation year for their computer graphics program. It covers anatomy, creature design, hand and foot drawing , basics of Maya etc. It probably should be taken before you take any courses in computer graphics at Gnomon unless you already have a very strong fine art background.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in the entertainment design program at gnomon now Starting the 2nd term in a week (it's 4 terms over a year).

A lot of people are using it as a way to build more of a foundation in order to move into their longer 2 year program (which is more heavily focused on 3d work), BUT it isn't really designed for that...the program is for anyone looking to work on their 2d skills (along with some introduction to 3d, like an intro to Maya and a sculpting class).

The first term is focused on basics, such as perspective, visual communication, figure drawing, photoshop, introduction to different jobs in the industry.

2nd term moves into more solid anatomy (human head, anatomy, sculpting), some more advanced visual communication and a little production stuff.

3rd term hits more on the production aspect. Designing characters, products, storyboarding and some gesture drawing / background classes.

Then term 4 continues on the design / production aspect, creature design, environment design, vehicle design, and an introduction into Maya (3d).

So basically, is it builds on itself and goes from basics up to lots of designing. So, not just for people trying to move into 3d programs, its for anyone trying to get stronger at design / 2d.

I really enjoying the school so far. The founder really cares a lot about the school and what they are trying to do (which is good!). The program is still pretty new, so they are still fine-tuning some things (the term ahead of mine irons out the bumps for us haha). Along with the normal classes, gnomon also does a lot of events (like the masterclasses, online videos, special lectures) which are all free to the students in the program.

Then, there is the location. It is right in hollywood and very close to a TON of studios (which one of our classes in the first term took us around to . Lot's of opportunities for an artist to take advantage of.... LA is the center of this industry, so really no better place to be if you are planning to try and get work right out of school (a lot of the teachers are working professionals).

And, then, that brings me to the teachers! They are really great (I have been in school a while, so, it's refreshing to have teachers who are really passionate about sharing what they do). Again, tons of resources to learn from if a student cares to take advantage of them (the other week I got the chance to work with one of my first term teachers on a project being presented to nickelodeon even! which was really exciting for me, actually applying my work to something I care a lot about).

And, beyond gnomon. There are other art schools in the area. So plenty to keep someone as busy as they can handle. It's completely up to the student to decide how much they get out of the program through... people can just do the minimum required and get off without doing much work...or they can really apply themselves and move ahead a lot in terms of skill (just like anywhere else).

Anddd, that brings us to the students! So far a lot of the students seem pretty serious about what they are doing and why they are here. It's nice that the school lumps the term classes together, so you get to know your class-mates and a nice community develops. The skill levels are scattered, but everyone has a good attitute and is here because they want to be (which is a good atmosphere to be).

So far, the school has been a lot better than I expected... the location, the people, the honest feelings of the management. Very much worth it in my opinion But yea, it is only a year long program...so not enough time to go from just entering art to a stage of "ready to work". Which means if you are coming into it without much experience, you need to think of where you will go after the year is up (if you want to go into 3d, stay at gnomon! i hear their placement rates for those going through their 3d program is really really high).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh wow i had no idea about Gnomon, Thanks for brining it up! They both seem like good programs, how are the living conditions for out of state students?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I moved down to go to gnomon from out of state too

There aren't any school dorms or student houses at gnomon. Gotta get an appartment I found one pretty close to the school (10 minute drive). I know one of my classmates found a place within walking distance (it takes him about 10 minutes to get to class by walking).

The program is full-time though, so working while doing it probably isn't the best idea. It's not crazy expensive... though not as cheap as living in kansas or something. (can find an appartment for like 1k a month to give you a ballpark figure)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ivory_Oasis so if you take both programs it would be about 32(3 years) months and $63000 for tuition and $32000 living + $? personal expenses. So in the end it would be around the same price as an art school. Why did you chose Gnomon?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No an art school like Ringling would be about $130,000 PLUS room and board.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I picked gnomon because I'm only going to school for a year (already have a degree in something else). I'm not too interested in moving onto 3d (other than basic knowledge and being able to make some models), so just working on buffing up my 2d as much as possible Gnomon was really well known online for their videos...and someone recommended them to me, so it seemed like a pretty good fit when i was looking into it.

If I were going to do school for 3 years and wanted to go into 3d, then I would probably pick gnomon still. The classes are smaller, so lots of opportunity to get instructor attention and help (the teachers seem really helpful so far, they go the extra mile outside of class).

And then, I just can't get over the location. If i were going to school and wanted a job right after, I would pick somewhere in LA where I could start meeting people in the studios I wanted to work in. I moved here from Kansas, and there just weren't anywhere near the number of opportunities (like now I am working on a personal project to pitch cartoon ideas to nickelodeon...their studio is just down the street >< I would have never of even gotten the idea unless I was here).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ivory_OAsis, how's the parking situation at Gnomon? I know from the school website it states that only street parking is available, so is there enough to go around for the students or more of a come early if you want one kind of deal?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ohh there is plenty of parking. There is a parking lot right next to the building that is used for the gym and some other business and gnomon (tons of spaces, I have never had to park on the street). The parking is free too, they just give you a paper to put on your dashboard.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ivory_Oasis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really informative thread

I have a few questions as well:
    - How about international students, are there many of those?

- Would you think it would be possible to take a class at, say, LAAFA or Concept Design Academy, while attending gnomon? If you could find a laafa class that didn't conflict in time with any of your gnomon classes.
    (http://www.laafa.org/sessions/classe...s_id=&cat_id=2)

- Entry portfolio: do they put an emphasis on life drawing?

Im interested in going there in about a year from now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    - How about international students, are there many of those?

Yup, I think there are a few around. Not sure how possible it is for the entertainment design program, but I am pretty sure there are some in the certificate program (the 2 year one). There is one person in my class this term from Iran and another student from Japan...but not sure what the sittuation is with them.

- Would you think it would be possible to take a class at, say, LAAFA or Concept Design Academy, while attending gnomon?

Yup, you could (I even thought about it myself, or even adding in another gnomon class onto the schedule). I end up spending all my time on homework or personal projects or looking at gnomon videos though (students have access to all the videos they have for free ). The 2 year program is even more intense, so, that would keep you as busy as you can handle.

- Entry portfolio: do they put an emphasis on life drawing?

There is no entry portfolio needed for the entertainment design program (some coming in are just starting in art, others are more experienced). The 2 year program I'm not really sure what they are looking for....I think just showing a certain level of artistic skill...so they know you can handle the program.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivory_Oasis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From the infos i have gathered in the past 4 months, looking for schools all over the world, i think that gnomon school would be a nice choice for conceptart wannabies but might have a few pretty big downsides for those in a situation similar to mine (no car, small budget, somewhere beginner-mid skill level)..

So here is why i think i won't be attending it:

1-Length:
    One year is not sufficient, if you do not have solid foundations i don't think you could really take benefit of the interesting concept specific classes they offer, and their one semester length foundations are surely not enough for a beginner-mid level student..
    So i consider it to be very useful only for those who already have the basic foundations knowledge and want to step forward in their instruction..

2-Teaching hours:
    It seems that most of the classes are held at a late time, some ending at 10 pm, this is a huge issue if you don't have a car and have to rely on public transport..It' LA and it is not safe to take a bus at 10 pm (i have lived in La for less than year many years ago and remember that buses where not nice places..)
    I'm not sure how easy it is finding a place nearby (surely not cheap..), but i guess it could be the only solution if you don't have those damned four wheels needed to survive in LA..

3-Oil
    I don't see any oil painting classes on their program.
    I've never painted in oil in my life, a wacom tablet i surely more handy and cleaner..but OIL painting understanding will make SOME difference between the average concept artist and a really skilled one.

So in the end, their program is one of the few of it's kind available (after the very sad end of the CA atelier..), but i do feel it would be great if they at least extended it to a two years length...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    after the very sad end of the CA atelier.
    What?

When did that happen? I see that all the links are still up and working. . .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Atelier will survive together with new locations (only in the USA at the moment, which makes it even more sad for me since i live in Europe..)
    as a physical facility open for three weeks per year in support of the new on line ART DEPARTMENT PROGRAM that is yet to be announced..

This is the threads

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=176937
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=172141

From what i have read i consider it to be very sad news as i don't feel and trust online programs, especially if you are in beginner-mid skill level..
    Just a personal opinion of course..

I think gnomon entertainment program is probably better than any on line choice, but i don't have the personal experience to give any proof..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    marcodoom, I certainly understand your misgivings. I thought I would respond to them.

1.Yes, one-year programs are normally not good enough. However, these do give you a good basis as a foundation for the computer graphics program. Moreover, you can supplement these by taking courses at many schools in LA, not to mention using the online and videos of Gnomon.By the way, videos are free for all Gnomon students.

2. There are classes during the day as well as in the evening. They aren't just limited to evening. Moreover, you can get an appartment within walking distance and the bus runs through most of the night. I will admit, however, that having a car is fairly necessary in LA, however, you can probably get by with a bicycle.

3. As for oil paintings, You can take courses in other schools.

Last edited by Taxguy; January 3rd, 2010 at 06:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxguy View Post

2. There are classes during the day as well as in the evening. They aren't just limited to evening.
    Some of the classes are only in the evening (I had one that went from 7-10 pm last term). The main reason for the late classes is that the teachers also work... so sometimes they are coming after their other job (like one of my teachers was working on avatar while he was also teaching)

Moreover, you can get an appartment within walking distance and the bus runs through most of the night.
    Yup, one of my classmates found a place within walking distance. Or, because the program lumps you together with the other people in the program you tend to get to know the other people in the class. Carpooling would probably be an option, I know I wouldn't mind dropping someone off from class if they were around the area.

The social aspect is really one of the biggest differences between online and real-world classes. You simply don't get the chance to build relationships like you do in person when just doing everything through the internet. That and actually being able to ask a teacher a question in person and get hands on direction on it...very valuable.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivory_Oasis View Post
    Some of the classes are only in the evening (I had one that went from 7-10 pm last term). The main reason for the late classes is that the teachers also work... so sometimes they are coming after their other job (like one of my teachers was working on avatar while he was also teaching)

Yup, one of my classmates found a place within walking distance. Or, because the program lumps you together with the other people in the program you tend to get to know the other people in the class. Carpooling would probably be an option, I know I wouldn't mind dropping someone off from class if they were around the area.

The social aspect is really one of the biggest differences between online and real-world classes. You simply don't get the chance to build relationships like you do in person when just doing everything through the internet. That and actually being able to ask a teacher a question in person and get hands on direction on it...very valuable.
    Most of the issues i've outlined can be actually solved with the necessary patience and effort..
    as for the social aspect i totally agree with you, it is indeed of great great value..
    and besides this, online courses don't send you models to draw at home..

This year i will probably get to the states and visit the schools i am interested in, including gnomon, but if i will ever enroll there, i will first build my mandatory foundations somewhere else as i think is the best way for a beginner to take full advantage of the great concept art knowledge gnomon teachers have to share..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick question--
    How viable would Gnomon's one-year entertainment design program be for someone who needs some place to go for foundation skills and has never had prior, formal art training? I am not a beginner at art by any means (which I mean only in the sense that I have been doing (and loving it!) for years now), but the town I live in isn't exactly even close to anywhere where I could have gotten formal training, and my high school art classes are entirely insufficient--like, there is no teaching going on in the class at all. Period. (I am currently a senior in high school.)

I intend to go apply to the Entertainment Design program for Art Center, however, as the ED program does not have a foundation year, this is something I would have to do before applying--and I don't really want to half-ass it either, I want to really have a strong grasp on the basics, and it seems like Gnomon's Entertainment Design program would be good for this. I guess what I'm not sure of is, is it common for someone with really no formal art training to go straight into the Gnomon ED program, or is it mainly for people who already have the basics down and want to further develop their skills? I have talked to someone at Gnomon (I actually visited back in November), but at the time my plan was to attend Gnomon /after/ college rather than before it--needless to say, I had not even conceived the questions I now have at the time. Most likely I will ask someone at Gnomon about this, but I thought I'd see what others here have to say about this first.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I came to gnomon after trying to teach myself to draw for 2 years (no formal training either). But there are some students in the entertainment design program with me who have been drawing for even less time (one is right out of highschool also).

I'm not really sure what the foundation classes of other schools are like. Best bet would be to compare the class schedule's of other places you are looking at for foundation and see where they are different.

Because the program has people with such range of skill levels coming into it, the teachers pretty much let students tackle assignments at whatever level they are at. It's really up for the student to decide how hard to push themselves though...

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Ivory_Oasis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow this is all really great advice thanks to everyone. Does anyone have any work they have done at Gnomon I could possibly take a look at. Maybe some before Gnomon after Gnomon work. Here is a link to some of my stuff. I just really want to improve.

http://oldocmadness.deviantart.com/g...ortfolio-Stuff

Thanks again to everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivory_Oasis View Post
    I came to gnomon after trying to teach myself to draw for 2 years (no formal training either). But there are some students in the entertainment design program with me who have been drawing for even less time (one is right out of highschool also).

I'm not really sure what the foundation classes of other schools are like. Best bet would be to compare the class schedule's of other places you are looking at for foundation and see where they are different.

Because the program has people with such range of skill levels coming into it, the teachers pretty much let students tackle assignments at whatever level they are at. It's really up for the student to decide how hard to push themselves though...
    Thanks so much! Cleared a lot of things up for me. I'm thinking this is the way I'll probably want to go. What is the admission process like? I have looked over the website and the Admission section for Entertainment Design and all it says is to call the Admission's office and send in a portfolio. Is it like an interview, or do they then send you forms, or...?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Azheryn View Post
    Thanks so much! Cleared a lot of things up for me. I'm thinking this is the way I'll probably want to go. What is the admission process like? I have looked over the website and the Admission section for Entertainment Design and all it says is to call the Admission's office and send in a portfolio. Is it like an interview, or do they then send you forms, or...?
    No problem!

The admissions is really easy. Basically you just send in a portfolio (I did through email) and then tell the admissions office that you are interested in joining the program. The porfolio thing is kind of strange though, because they say you don't need one to enter the entertainment design program....but they still asked me for one. So, I guess it is more for them to see what level of students are coming into that term?

I don't remember any forms or anything complicated. Was just signing up online for the term and then they send a schedule.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Am I thinking correctly that the "Entertainment Design & Digital Production" course is pretty much the "Entertainment Design" and "Digital Production for Entertainment" courses put together?

What is the schools focus? The reason I am asking is that, I am having trouble finding Gnomon demo reels (I found like 10 or 15) and most seems to be only modeling or computer drawings. Although modeling is a possible path I might be interested in, I want to keep my options open until I have dabbled in all 3 areas.

Over all I am getting the feeling Gnomon is a really good school. Anyone have any regrets? And has anyone taken the ED & DP course (yes im to lazy to type it out lol), I'd like to hear from some one who has done the full thing.

Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have taken the digital painting and advanced digital painting at gnomon and they were both great classes. I wanted to do the matte painting class also, but it was cancelled because of low enrollment. Unfortunately they dont have too much more to offer for straight digital painting, they are focused more on 3D.
    The entertainment design may be a good foundation and you will learn a lot of info from the courses. You will get a good grasp on theory and design, less focus on different mediums and more traditional aspects.
    The one thing I would say you may miss out on, is being with a class full of people that want to do hand rendered art of some kind(as opposed to computer 3D rendered). In the head drawing class I took, it seemed like some of the students treated it as a mere requirement and not something they needed to master since they wanted to end doing 3D. For one assignment in the digital painting class, some students rendered out the basic shapes(cone, cylinder, box, sphere) in 3D and shaded those renders in photoshop. That seemed kind of strange to me.
    I recently discovered the concept design academy and will be taking classes there, since they many more classes for tuning my painting and drawing skills. I am told that they also have the 3 kicks studio school in the same place for more traditional mediums.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have taken the digital painting and advanced digital painting at gnomon and they were both great classes. I wanted to do the matte painting class also, but it was cancelled because of low enrollment. Unfortunately they dont have too much more to offer for straight digital painting, they are focused more on 3D.
    The entertainment design may be a good foundation and you will learn a lot of info from the courses. You will get a good grasp on theory and design, less focus on different mediums and more traditional aspects.
    The one thing I would say you may miss out on, is being with a class full of people that want to do hand rendered art of some kind(as opposed to computer 3D rendered). In the head drawing class I took, it seemed like some of the students treated it as a mere requirement and not something they needed to master since they wanted to end doing 3D. For one assignment in the digital painting class, some students rendered out the basic shapes(cone, cylinder, box, sphere) in 3D and shaded those renders in photoshop. That seemed kind of strange to me.
    I recently discovered the concept design academy and will be taking classes there, since they many more classes for tuning my painting and drawing skills. I am told that they also have the 3 kicks studio school in the same place for more traditional mediums.

Members who have read this thread: 8