Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Faharis' homework

Statement of Intent:
    In order to help me focus (read: concentrate) more of my attention in the subject of drawing, I have selected
    a goal which I intend to accomplish with the learning of anatomy studies (which is meant the learning of a realistic art foundation)
    and other helpful things which may pointed out by helpful and wonderful people.

Goal:
    To be able to produce adequately attractive art in quantities large enough to carry content of a literative value.

Pfff.... how to begin?

A bit of history I guess. As a child I didn't really see the point of drawing photo realistic art since you could just take... well, a photo. Besides when I drew anything interesting (such as the day I drew a couple of horses in clothes going to the mall) my designated bullies zoomed in on it very fast. So I decided not to bother with drawing much (bad choice, I know).

Fast forward to when I was about 16 and I'd recently discovered manga, a form of comic I hadn't known before (having read every single western comic my local library had, of course) that featured a wider range of genres than I'd experienced in comics before (it was a rather small library). I was hooked on them. A while later I was bored in class, can't say I remember a time when I wasn't, and copied a drawing of the back of the comic I had with me (Akira, if anyone cares) and realised that, while it sucked, it wasn't horrible. I maybe.. could do this?

And so I began my efforts to get good enough to make my own stories graphic narrative.

Right, now that you're all properly bored here is some stuff to start with. This was prompted by my dearest Jacket-Button who has been so sweet as to offer to guide me along the way. Go on, go be amazed by her art. I'll wait.

... all done? Good. Hope you left her a nice comment.

So here are four copy-drawings of Loomis' anatomy guides from pages 26- 29 in Figure Drawing: for all it's worth
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by Faharis; October 14th, 2012 at 11:46 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    good to see you posting. I'll start off your first critique.

As I said in IM, knowing that these took you several days and multiple hours to complete I feel that you need to loosen up a bit. The more studies you can complete the more you improve.

Keep it up dear C=

Thanks
    Man, that reminds me, I need to finish my homework too. *gets to work* Great job Faharis, the practice is looking great so far

Thanks
    Very nice anatomical studies you have there!
    Everything is better with dinosaurs.

Thanks
    Thank you for the luv there m'dearest Jacket and Jesuhea, kisskiss to ya both ;3

Thanks to you too Trex, s nice of you to say so ^^

Thanks
    Just poking by dear. I definitely want to see more. I'll bug you later on tonight.

Thanks

Thanks
    Ok, so here we got a little something more.

My thought process for this picture was something like...

"Ok yeah, I can do this.... looking good, looking good....
    oops, gotta fix that.... ah, better....
    man, this sucks....... should I start over? Nah......
    ok, done.... hey, it turned out kinda nice... scanned
    .... no wait, it didn't."

I hope Mr. Model never sees this. He'd probably develop a complex xD

Beware of the fish lips!

....feeeesh leeeeeeps....

I know he's all mangled so feel free to take potshots at it. All I ask for is that you keep in mind that this is the first time I actually attempt to draw an actual person from a photo.

Right, so stay tuned for when I actually try to... dundundunDUN... shade this! *gaspshockhorror*

Thanks
    Turns out that there was sadly little I did right about the last picture so it may not get shaded until some sort of redraw has happened.

... and I'm very lazy to repeat myself xD

Meanwhile, here are some boxes and stuff to enjoy.

Toodles~

Thanks
    Amazing! I am liking your stuff already! Your grasp and understanding of anatomy seems to be far better than what I have done!

As far as your history into pursuing anatomy for graphic novels, keep it up! Don't make the mistake I made give up because some assholes, or a large group of them, family included, told you you couldnt do something! If you know deep in your heart of hearts that that is what is meant for you to do, then go do it regardless of what they say! I hate that I'm starting off so late in the game, but hey, at least I got back on board right?

Thanks
    Nice anatomy/animal studies. Wanna see more - especialy combination of human + animal

Thanks
    MadLucied- Thank you for the compliment, its nice to know someone likes my stuff ^^ My grasp of anatomy is debatable though :p

I have this stubborn streak, ya know. When people tell me I can't I tend to work hard just to prove I can ;D

Thank you for your encouraging words.

Mariusz- Thanks If Jacketbutton gets anything to say about it, you'll be seeing more soon..... lots and lots and lots more xD

The furry heads on the anatomy studies (copied from Loomis) were mostly about me goofing about than anything else. I find it very hard to be serious for any length of time, I gotz me a hyperactive funnybone I do

Thanks
    you seam to have a good start here, keep working with loomis, hes very good at covering the fundamentals that give you a strong foundation to build upon. When working from life or reference, a very good tool you can use would be triangulation. Its basically when you use a angle to compare how key points/landmarks align with each other. The most powerful angles being horizontals and verticals, which are very useful because its quite easy to see if two point fall on the same horizontal or vertical line both from ref/life as well as on the paper.

since your just starting out here Id say posermanics http://www.posemaniacs.com/ would probably be the way to go either the any of the timed modes should be fine, mostly to get some bulk work in to weed out a lot of the major errors as well as gesture, perspective, proportions, and just sketching in general.
    Tenminutedrawing - awesome learn to draw series http://www.youtube.com/user/moatddtutorials
    A short list of my favorite tutorials http://surfandsnow.deviantart.com/journal/22269212/

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Faharis View Post
    MadLucied- Thank you for the compliment, its nice to know someone likes my stuff ^^ My grasp of anatomy is debatable though :p

I have this stubborn streak, ya know. When people tell me I can't I tend to work hard just to prove I can ;D

Thank you for your encouraging words.

Mariusz- Thanks If Jacketbutton gets anything to say about it, you'll be seeing more soon..... lots and lots and lots more xD

The furry heads on the anatomy studies (copied from Loomis) were mostly about me goofing about than anything else. I find it very hard to be serious for any length of time, I gotz me a hyperactive funnybone I do

I know that feeling because I live with it everyday. Not so much from other people anymore, but from myself! I use my own doubt to fuel my desire to become a better artist and to reach my goals of art.

Anyways, as you continue to practice, during days where you THINK your work sucks, I'm pretty sure you'll see that it actually IS good, even if not compared to your best work.... if that made any sense

Thanks
    Your anatomy studies are very good, you are getting better as you go along. Keep up the good work

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast