Team Chow III: Super High-Five Squad

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Super High-Five Squad Sketchbook

Members
    tron-one
    rinjii
    Primordial Seven

Main Topic: Tarot

Rules and information
    *Link to main topic
    *"Though often used as a form of divination, we'll be approaching it from a strictly design perspective. Each card is meant to tell a very particular tale (though this tale often depends on the reader) and has many symbols and meanings attached to it. The goal will be to do each card as a character-based (this is still chow) illustration to illuminate the meaning of the card. However, the specific meaning and the symbols will be up to you."
    *4. Please make sure that your files (for final illustrations) can be sized down to 9 cm by 15.5 cm (or 3.543 x 6.1 inches) at 300 dpi.

Chosen Cards
    rinjii
    III The Empress
    Queen of wands
    tron-one
    VIII Strength
    Princess of wands
    Primordial Seven
    Seven of Pentacles
    Three of Pentacles

Theme/Style Information
    Tim Burton style, Macabre, Beetlejuice.

Last edited by Primordial Seven; January 9th, 2010 at 04:55 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, let's start the discussion!

i just read over the general meanings of each card, and i noticed that 4/6 of them have to do with the element of fire- mainly mine and tron-one's cards. primordial seven's cards are both associated with earth so as far as a unifying theme,, i think we may have something to work with.

My Portfolio

My Sketchbook Feedback is needed and always appreciated *smile*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Main notes from meeting held 08-01-10

- The Empress is the ruler of all. Both the Queen and Princess of Wands represent a type of hope and promise.

-Strength resonates with the queen's quiet sense of focus and will.

-The Pentacles cards represent the promise of prosperity through hard work which The Empress presides over.

Order of card layout:
    -Since The Empress is ruler of all, have her in the centre.

-Queen and Princess of Wands are in the same suit and both represent a growing sense of promise and hope, so keep them together [plus it'll be easy to illustrate a mother/daughter relationship].

-Pentacles depend on the goodwill of The Empress to grant them their rewards for their hard work, so keep them together and next to The Empress

-Strength and the Queen of Wands are similar so those two can be paired together.

Flow chart: pentacles--->the empress ---> princess of wands --->queen of wands---> strength
    -The cards will interact with each other especially The Empress.

<Up-dated: Reference sheet.>

Last edited by Primordial Seven; January 26th, 2010 at 08:33 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally, I have bits to show. As I told Tron, I've been finding this one difficult but I'm getting round to finalising everything now and should be able to get some sort of a final version for both cards done.

Three of Pentacles
    Seven of Pentacles

Keeping in mind we wanted to "link" each card, an idea I had for the background of both cards was to have a Wonderland-esque environment with a path that leads from one card to the next. I've still to fully figure that all out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    UGH i feel soooooo bad about falling off the wagon here... but i have two final layout sketches to show for my two cards. the only thing that changed is that they ended up looking more realistic than cartoon-like, so that's a style adjustment.

there's not gonna be much detail in these sketches, since i'm on a time constraint. if i push it i can get the gayscale images done by tomorrow evening- adding the color would then be a piece of cake.

i'll edit this post in a few minutes once i get my images uploaded.

The first one is a basic sketch for the Queen of Wands. she's supposed to be wearing a dress of pure gold and preparing to leave her throne [to follow her daughter the Princess of Wands and heading towards the Empress]. style-wise she's had to render since her colors are supposed to be kinda warm, so i'm trying to find a way to fuse simplistic himegyaru fashion with a touch of gothic charm.

the second one is my Empress. she's three-geaded to represent the three main aspects of her i'm choosing- her generosity towards those who work hard, her support of feminism natures, and her mothering of ideas, arts, fortunes, etc. i split her crown of stars to 3 four-star crowns [one for each head] and gave her four arms. her overall design is reminiscent of the hindu goddess [aka the great divine mother] Shakti and a heavily pregnant morticia addams.. visually, i'll going to use cooler colors on her- like a gothic porcelain doll.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by rinjii; January 29th, 2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: sketches added
    My Portfolio

My Sketchbook Feedback is needed and always appreciated *smile*

Members who have read this thread: 1