Art: New Work on last page!!/ Updated 04/14/2014 - Page 7

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    such amazing oil paintings and studies from life, very inspiring

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,924 Times in 2,378 Posts
    Another piece for Illuxcon Elric of Melnibone 36 x 24 inches, oil on canvas digitally enhanced

Name:  elric_of_melnibone_36x24_lb_web2.jpg
Views: 1439
Size:  78.0 KB

Thanks
    I love this last one. I've only read one of the Elric books so I don't know the character very well, but I like your interpretation of him.

I'm curious to know if the detailing on the throne arms is traditional or digital, and I love the different colours on his robe. Fantastic stuff.

Thanks
    Candra,
    Thanks for asking. The details on the arms are digital in this iteration, I am in the process of painting them on traditionally. It was a last minute digital add to the photo of the oil and I've decided to keep it for the original. The digitals are now my preliminaries for the traditional paintings. So the usual working method is pencil thumbs, digital thumbs, digital mock-up and then the oil painting, digital tweaks and then final traditional. The digital study allows me to test drive ideas without too much trouble but I still like having a painting at the end of the process so I still physically paint them too.

Thanks
    I had an idea they were digital but only because getting that level of detail traditionally would be, well... difficult, lol. But since you're also doing it traditionally, wow. I must see it when it's finished.

Just out of curiosity. How labour intensive and time consuming is the oil version?

Thanks
    Yeah that level of detail is difficult so I have simplified the design some I will post later. The painting was the easy part and took three days, the drawing took a day, the arm designs will be another one or two days total to add but only because I made it more difficult for my self by not figuring that out in the preliminary stages. So week total for the oil painting. Working out the lighting, pose, angle of view and designs of the throne and sword took probably three weeks total off and on between other commitments. So a month of work in this painting from blank page to finish.

Thanks
    Absolutely splendid.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Yeah that level of detail is difficult so I have simplified the design some I will post later. The painting was the easy part and took three days, the drawing took a day, the arm designs will be another one or two days total to add but only because I made it more difficult for my self by not figuring that out in the preliminary stages. So week total for the oil painting. Working out the lighting, pose, angle of view and designs of the throne and sword took probably three weeks total off and on between other commitments. So a month of work in this painting from blank page to finish.
    Cool thanks. I hear you about the initial idea work taking the most time. It's what they say I guess. "It's all in the preparation", lol.

Really looking forward to seeing the final version of this. Good luck with those arms!

Thanks
    Updated image without any digital enhancments

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    a couple of ideas I have for paintings with crystals in them these are finished digitals; next will be to paint them in oils for Illuxcon

Thanks
    These were demo paintings I did for two different groups.
    The house is 24 x 30 painted for a group of 120 students from George Mason painting time was 3 hours from blank canvas to finish. The landscape was 12 x 16 painted for a private group on an estate that overlooks the largest Calvary battle of the civil war at Brandy Station. I sold the painting to a historian in attendance and donated the proceeds to the Piedmont Environmental Council which hosted the party and protects sites for perpetuity of historical importance in the Virginia Piedmont.

Thanks
    Oh, more goodies. Cool!

Love the updated Elric piece. The throne works brilliantly, and I especially like how you caught the light playing through the red glass.

The crystal paintings are great. I like the first one best, though not sure why exactly. Something to do with the light in the space scene reading strangely. But then, those kind of scenes always read odd to me because I cant get my head around the black sky, lit foreground thing. I need to work my imagination muscles more I think.

And lovely landscapes as always. Thanks for sharing and I hope you post more soon.

Thanks
    Your work is so masterful. There is such a beautiful sense of light in your paintings. Very inspiring!

sketchbook
    facebook | tumblr | art hangouts! (get your friendly ol' bum over here and get arting with us!)

"[...]as we gain facility of hand and travel further afield, we discover that we have a key to unlock the wonders of art and nature, a method of conjuring up forms at will: a sensitive language capable of recording and revealing impressions and beauties of form and structure hidden from the careless eye[...]"
    -Walter Crane, 'Line & Form'

Thanks
    Fantastic work. I have a question, do you need to know how to do traditional paintings before starting digital? Because i was never much of a traditional painter.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexTLe View Post
    Fantastic work. I have a question, do you need to know how to do traditional paintings before starting digital? Because i was never much of a traditional painter.
    you don't need to, but I think it goes faster and you learn better starting with traditional tools and then moving to digital.

Thanks
    Just to let people know, Illuxcon will be open to the public on Saturday and Sunday September 14th and 15th 2013. I have been bumped up to the Main Show and will be there starting Wednesday through Sunday instead of just the Weekend Salon. I will have close to 20 paintings at the show and will do a painting demo on Saturday. This is one of the originals I will have with me, Mining Outpost 30x40 inches oil on linen, sorry for the glare its not quite dry yet.

Thanks
    Just finished this corporate job for the Salamander Resort in Middleburg VA. They purchased two of my originals and then licensed the images from them and one other painting for their 165 rooms. Here are some images of the original paintings and two of the rooms with the reproductions on the walls.

Name:  cabrera_autumn_vines_24x36_oc_studio.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  292.5 KB

Name:  cabrera_napa_valley_evening_18x24_ol_studio.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  85.9 KB

Name:  cabrera_blueridge_views_16x20_web.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  57.4 KB

Name:  napaimage.JPG
Views: 692
Size:  48.8 KB

Name:  yountvilleimage.JPG
Views: 692
Size:  45.3 KB

Thanks
    Wow, I've never had that thought that someone handcrafts these painting in resorts and hotels.

I like the mining outpost, has that John Berkley feel to it, as well as others Sci-fi artists which their names escape me.

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    Wow, I've never had that thought that someone handcrafts these painting in resorts and hotels.

I like the mining outpost, has that John Berkley feel to it, as well as others Sci-fi artists which their names escape me.

Most of the time they just license the rights to the prints but occasionally they will commission originals for murals or smaller paintings. In this case the two originals are only in the public spaces and the rooms all have prints of my work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Just to let people know, Illuxcon will be open to the public on Saturday and Sunday September 14th and 15th 2013. I have been bumped up to the Main Show and will be there starting Wednesday through Sunday instead of just the Weekend Salon. I will have close to 20 paintings at the show and will do a painting demo on Saturday. This is one of the originals I will have with me, Mining Outpost 30x40 inches oil on linen, sorry for the glare its not quite dry yet.
    Knock'em dead at Illuxcon Armand. Really need to get there one year.

Thanks
    Thanks Bill, I will settle for sales or some work and I appreciate the sentiment.

Thanks
    Another Illuxcon Piece: Jack of Shadows and Morningstar 24 x 18 oil on linen. This is based on a scene from the Roger Zelazny book, Jack of Shadows
    Name:  Jack_of_Shadows_24x18_oil_on_linen_web.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  68.5 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 5,442 Times in 3,654 Posts

Thanks
    Just an update on the Illuxcon Demo. My demo is now Friday Afternoon 2-5 pm. So if you are planning to be at Illuxcon this year i hope you will come by and watch the demo and ask questions. While I am painting I will be talking about thought processes, color theory, color mixing, paint handling and application, materials and anything else people ask me about. I will start and finish a 24 x 30 oil painting from a small sketch and digital studies. The image i will be painting is this one,

Name:  crystal_monolith_web800b.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  102.5 KB
    digital painting

Name:  cabrera_crystal_monolith_8x10_oil_sketch.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  75.7 KB
    8x10 oil sketch

Last edited by dpaint; August 30th, 2013 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,161 Times in 1,962 Posts

Thanks
    Here is a shot of my pieces for Illuxcon this year they range in size from 12x15 to 30x40 inches. Twelve oils and two acrylic paintings are in the picture

Name:  cabrera_groupshot2013.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  109.1 KB

Thanks
    Another Illuxcon Painting Territory 16 x 20 oil on linen
    Name:  cabrera_territory_16x20_ol_studio_web.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  100.4 KB

Thanks
    Here is my demo from Friday at Illuxcon. Thanks to everyone who came out to watch. It was great to see so many people from CA there.
    crystal monolith 24 x 30 oil on linen

Name:  cabrera_crystal_monolith_24x30_oil_demo_web.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  77.9 KB

Thanks
    Hi matey

I just had to say, your work brings me endless pleasure and teaches me at the same time.
    I think the Elric image is great and the crystals pics are coming on great too. but those landscapes really transport you whislt you are looking at them, great work mate.

Ok flanelling and grovelling over get back to it I want more now!! ha ha ha ha

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

Thanks
    These are amazing! The crashing waves one really made me nostalgic of my European experiences. Great work.

Graphic novel up and coming! Check it here at:

www.facebook.com/the13thsign

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 871