Portrait Speed Drawing (with video)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey guys,
    i did this pic a while back, on A3 paper in about 3 hours (pretty good for me)

entered it with some of my GCSE stuff, what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi7cUemsLus

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BHCS View Post
    Hmm, I guess I fail then.
    You shouldn't feel that way. There are generally less people online during the holidays, which means less people available for critique. Personally, I'm not very good at giving crits for pencil portraits, so I usually don't.

For a drawing done in three hours this is pretty well done. There is a good sense of form in many of the features, some nice lines in the hair (picture left), and the eyes are reasonably expressive.

Anatomically:
    - the eyes look a bit small (or his face is a bit on the wide side), and the neck looks a bit thick, although maybe the person you were we drawing is just a bit on the stocky side.
    - Is the head meant to be tilted slightly? The nose is straight on, but the left side ear lobe is noticeably lower than the right, and the other features seem to suggest a slight tilt.
    - It's also a bit odd that the edge of one shoulder can be seen, but it's not present on the right.
    - Also, you've added just a little bit too much concavity too close to the outer edge of the eyes which makes his orbital areas look too compressed. I'd circle what I meant, but I don't have a tablet at work.

Some other suggestions:
    I think the value range could have been pushed further. His eyebrows almost get lost while squinting, and right now it all feels very high key

Some of the hair, especially in picture right, looks a bit too chunky, but hair can be a pain to render quickly. XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments

I agree with what you say, and I only just noticed that his nose is wonky, that was my error, but some things were to do with the way the guy was standing and his big neck. Haha

I really need to work on my proportions as this picture was changed so much due to my errors that I could have got the time down to 1/1.5 hours if I knew what I was doing. Also some hair practice would be useful as this was my first attempt of drawing hair propperly

thanks again for the comments, I will try to build on them!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks good especially for the approach you took. Its like an all out guns blazing approach, but its a little insane to go about it that way. It also doesn't allow for correcting mistakes.

If you would like to improove your drawing, dont start with the eye, and work outward, start with a generalized big shape of the head, then find the centerline of the head, then accurately place a line where the eyes, nose and mouth are positioned. The head is usually around 5 eyes wide if not slightly less. If you nail these basic structural anatomical properties, and then move into the modeling, you will have yourself a much more soid drawing.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers!

Regularly updated blog of my studies at teh Florence Academy of Art www.nigelrobertson.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel_Robertson View Post
    Looks good especially for the approach you took. Its like an all out guns blazing approach, but its a little insane to go about it that way. It also doesn't allow for correcting mistakes.

If you would like to improove your drawing, dont start with the eye, and work outward, start with a generalized big shape of the head, then find the centerline of the head, then accurately place a line where the eyes, nose and mouth are positioned.
    Actually, it looks to me like there's a placement line-drawing plotted out there, before the rendering:

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.