Thanks

Another NOOB blunders his way in

Hello all, I just signed up and the first thing I gotta say is, I'm looking for help.

For Xmas I got a Wacom tablet and Corel Paint 11. What I really need are tutorials to help me master the programs. There's an awful lot of tutorials all over the internet but most of them cover stuff I'm not interested in, such as how to modify photos. Or tutorials on how to make art genenrally in digital mediums assuming you've already mastered your art program.

I need something very specific.

I'm looking for tutorials specifically geared for beginners in Corel Paint that shows detailed step by step processes in how to create completely original paintings that have nothing to do with photo sources. Ideally I would prefer several that dealt with various diffirent subjects. Also I would prefer these tutorial to go into great detail as to how these steps are acheived, watching a digital paintings get done in sped up time with music scored in doesn't give me a lot to learn, as I learned from surfing youtube for tutorials.

Also I would like to hear people's opinions as to what they think are the best sources for tutorials. Are they books you bought? Magazines you subscribe to? Or right here on this forum? I'm all ears to your input.

As for myself, I'm really interested in painting. I used to teach a watercolour class a long time ago and now I want to get back into painting, but in a digital medium this time. I like inventing stuff right off the top of my head and splash it down onto canvas. Mostly I paint characters but right now I'm interested in painting scenery. Outdoor fantasy/scifi scenes as it's something I haven't tried yet.

So if anyone would like to steer me in the right direction, tally-ho, let's go. And if I asked this question in the wrong forum I am dreadfully sorry, it's my first day.
    Soylent brown is made of poople!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,057 Times in 945 Posts
    You need to use the forum search function...
    There even is a forum for tutorials here...
    Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Painter's best teachers are time and energy. Like Randis said, try out the search function. Also, I will say though, that I learned a lot about Painter from Andrew Jones' Downloads.

http://media.massiveblack.com/downloads.html#android4

Good luck and welcome!

Oh, start a sketchbook here too. That way folks can help you along your way. There's even a whole forum subject dedicated to Painter here, towards the bottom of the main forum page.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 277 Posts
    If you're looking for tutorials on how to paint things without ref/how to paint different things, I don't think learning a new medium right away will be much help. I would recommend expanding your visual vocab first in any way you can - images, books, movies, studies, and such. If you don't have a large enough library of mental images (and the technical knowledge to go with it), it'll be hard to come up with a subject off the top of your head.

Do visit the tutorials section as mentioned.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to crossmirage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Catboy View Post
    I need something very specific...
    ...Well then you should post something very specific.

If you want help with any particular peice i would be glad to help where i can, in spite of my personal lack of skill. I think you will find most people here exhibiting the same posture.

welcome to the lion's den

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Since you're specifically looking for Painter info, you'd be better off posting in the Painter forum.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here's about Painter X done by Jeremy Sutton, very good resource. It's not too different from Painter 11, so I would give it a try. You'll have to buy it (or borrow from a friend): http://www.paintboxj.com/store title: Learning Corel Painter X

Thanks
    Thanks a lot for the help, everyone. I have been poking here and found this excellent beginner's tutorial page.
    http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pai..._Beginners.htm

That's my favourite kind of tutorial because instead of just giving you a general idea what a digital paint program is capable of, leaving readers to figure out for themselves where to find these particular commands, it gives very detailed and specific step by step instructions on how to use commands within Corel Paint. Eventually I hope to find one like this that will provide equally detailed instructions on how to use various techniques to create a finished piece. I found a book called Digital Painting Fundamentals with Corel Painter 11 and ordered it from Amazon, it's probably the first of a bunch of books I'm going to order, but I like books. Books are cool. If anyone knows anything about this book already and has an opinion, please chime in. I understand I am looking at the start of a pretty darn long road, but I want to paint pretty pictures
    Soylent brown is made of poople!

Thanks
    Really, the best way you can learn is to pick a brush and get painting.
    CRITIQUE AS YOU WOULD BE CRITIQUED
    http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59
    THE ABOVE LINK IS ALL YOU NEED

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=200044 <- Sketchbook - filled with unhappy things.