Join 500,000+ Artists
Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!
For those who use oil at home, how do you dispose used gamsol or turpentine? Since it is toxic, I can't or rather shouldn't pour it down the drain. I usually just collect and dispose it at school.
Allow the paint to settle out of it, pour the liquid into a new jar, and re-use it for brush-washing. This can be done repeatedly, topping up with fresh occasionally. I don't throw any liquid solvent away at all. All losses are by evaporation (in a well-ventilated workspace) and my annual solvent usage is very low.
The paint-slurry can be allowed to evaporate dry, and disposed of as dry waste, obeying any local rules on disposal of material containing heavy metals and toxic material.
I'm usually using mineral spirits in very small quantities, and whether I cover my container or not it usually seems to evaporate eventually. Any that you have you can let settle in it's current container and wait for the paint particles to settle to the bottom, and then you can pour the clean mineral spirits back to the container you bought it in. leave any "soup" at the bottom and it will eventually dry up and you can get it out with a paper towel so your container is clean again. No need to DISPOSE of the stuff, it costs money and it can be reused!
edit: just realized me and dcorc said basically the exact same thing :3
Last edited by The Pariano; December 31st, 2009 at 05:01 AM.
"A drawing is not necessarily academic because it is thorough, but only because it is dead. Neither is a drawing necessarily academic because it is done in what is called a conventional style, any more than it is good because it is done in an unconventional style. The test is whether it has life and conveys genuine feeling."- Harold Speed
I reuse the solvent too, but at some point the pigment and solvent doesn't separate anymore. what do you guys do when that happen?
Adding in more solvent will dilute things again. However - if you are creating a lot of waste because you are painting large-format, and thus transferring a lot more oil into the wash, then one approach is to pour the non-separable slurry onto absorbant material such as cat-litter, and dispose of it as "hazardous solid waste" in accord with your local regulations.
Interesting - I've never had to "dispose" of solvent either - I add a little fresh though every time. If the school handles it for you then that sounds like the easy way. I wipe my brush at each passage though on paper towel so I don't get a huge amount of paint in my turp.