Portfolio Domain Name HELP!
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Portfolio Domain Name HELP!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Portfolio Domain Name HELP!

Not sure what section exactly this belongs in, but I could use some help from everyone.

I've finally got the finances to set-up a website for my portfolio, but the problem is I'm having a hell of a time decided on a domain name. I know it's classic and professional to just go with a firstnamelastname.com domain, but I really hate my last name and plan on changing it immediately when I get married.

I guess I wanna know if it seems unprofessional to use a screen name in the domain/title of artist's portfolio?

Or should I just use my first name combined with something like artworks, creative, conceptual, art, illustrations, etc.

Although my first name is Emily, which I'm afraid might be too common. =\

Any ideas would really be appreciated. I wasted hours last night dwelling on this. >_<;;

Thanks for your time

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Dave_ is offline Fighting dwarves with keytars. Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't have much experience in this area, but any name should do, the easyer to remember the better.

(23:41:52) (ArneLurk) I woner of there are people who have hairy penises

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all, congratulations on setting up the website.

I agree with what Dave_ said. The easier the name is, the better people will remember it.

But that's not all I wanted to say. At first, it doesn't matter how professionally your domain name sounds because what matters most is how professionally your site is designed and how professionally you approach with your artwork on it enough to catch people's attention in order to be impressed. If people are impressed with your professionally creative approaches with your artworks, they'll be likely to remember the name behind it by just connecting it with your artworks.

I see choosing a name as a very personal thing to do because it holds many meanings behind the name for the chooser. As for choosing names, there's so many names to choose but how do you know which one is right for you?

- Many artists use fictional names and you could use one with firstnamelastname.com with your first name and some fictional last name you like. Or just create a new identity.
    - Pick a name that you feel very confident in and reflects on the image of yourself and your goals. A name that you feel very connected to.
    - Make sure it's not a copyrighted name or most common name so people can mistaken it for another thing which could hurt your image.
    - You always can pick a part of the name and combine it with other names or just play it around. For example, ENNEX Illustrations? ENNEX ART? Etc.

Hope it helped you in some way.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SR-5 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    go with internethandle.com You are working on branding yourself for life, ennex sounds cool and is short enough to remember. put it one some business cards and see where it takes you. hmm... aparently ennex.com already exists, and looks pretty bad. I'd go stick with the last bit of what 5000 said then.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ZsMann For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Take a page from Ben Mathis, poopinmymouth.com is unforgettable.

Last edited by DeadlyFreeze; December 29th, 2009 at 07:32 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DeadlyFreeze For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You're creating an entity that people are going to see you by, so there's so certainly no need to use your last name is you hate it. EmilyArt or something like that is kind of hard to take seriously. I would go with a made up name.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    When my skills are of a professional level I'm going to use the one I established for my writing, which is the same as my name here except for the .com part.

Do a search on OmenSpirits, you'll find it the only one online, and it's mine.

I went the unique route because I wanted any search to come back to me.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post
    When my skills are of a professional level I'm going to use the one I established for my writing, which is the same as my name here except for the .com part.

Do a search on OmenSpirits, you'll find it the only one online, and it's mine.

I went the unique route because I wanted any search to come back to me.
    This is a good point. I could never use "Liffey" because it's a major river. If you google my old username though, "TheoryC", it'll bring a bunch of my profiles around the net straight up, because it was a more original name. There are already several established "Ennex"s it would seem, but no "Ennex art", so that could work.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thankyou! This has really helped a lot. And that's a great point about the search engines and creating a memorable brand.

Still got a little thinking to do, but at least now I've got a better idea of what I'm going for.

Interesting sidenote: Since posting this morning, when "ennex art" is searched for in google, this thread actually comes up as the first result with the second being ennex.com
    When just "ennex" is searched, it shows up on the page 8 (not great but not bad).

Last edited by ENNEX; December 30th, 2009 at 01:23 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.