what do u think?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: what do u think?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

what do u think?

this is a semi futuristic scene...please let me know your thoughts about my new work "sinner"

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are the police trying to flee or did they just parked theyre car there.... Ok... Its a bit empty on the streets.. I see a lonely officer crouched against the wall... Not much action going on.... Just a monster wondering the streets...

Ok.. jest aside, the picture does seem to lack a certain action part in it. It is fairly static. The size of the monster doesnt really come into place. I mean the scaling seems in the favor of the defenders. Although in the very very distance we see a miniature helicopter try to fend it of with a toy gun. The coloring seems very flat and it lacks a certain dynamic feel to it!

The cars look all right, but I do detect some perspective errors. Have you tried thumb nailing you're shots? (miniature drawings of the angle or picture). This could help you out immensely.

Greetz,

Writero

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'll be honest, the "Sinner" sign looks totally out of place. It's like a sore thumb, not connected to really anything else in the scene.

As Writerof pointed out, there seem to be perspective issues here and there. The black building on the left in particular seems warped. I'm also curious about the building the sniper is shooting from. The top floor seems to be rubble, akin to bombed-out WWII cities, but the rest of the building is fine, and so is the rest of the scene. Clearly the monster didn't do it, since it's half a block away and facing another direction.

On the subject of the monster/machine itself, the gigantic tail thing doesn't seem to be on an angle where it connects to the thing's body. One would expect by position that it's scorpion-like, but with the body reared up like that it would need to be prohibitively long. I see you've got a rocket in the midground being shot at it, but I can't tell from where. It just sort of seems to be there for no real reason. It's not from the sniper guy, that's all I can tell.

Finally, you've got a tangent between the spider thing's leg and that gray object that seems to be floating by the closer police car's door. That flattens the image a lot, and probably contributes to the scale issues that Writerof pointed out.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with the others in that your image lacks a sense of movement, conflict, and destruction. If a giant robot scorpion was attacking a city I`d expect a lot more people trying to fight the thing. All I see are two Police, a couple cars, and a helicopter. Personally I feel that the building selection is pretty random. I would have gone with a more downtown skyscraper type setting. Maybe have a strip club named Sinner.

You definitely could add a lot more destruction and mayhem. Basically all the damage I see is that building on the right and yet as others mentioned, the rest of the building is perfect and I can`t see debris. By the way is that a rocket launcher coming out of the cop car.

In general I would work on rendering. A lot of the buildings look rather bland and there is not much detail, and the scratchy highlights do not do your lighting justice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank u guys...i will work on it later on and re post the outcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

UPDATE

im not quite sure if its ok now...would u guys consider this as a final work?

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like where this is going, but I think the top of the lamp in the extreme foreground is distracting. The rest of the lamp, also, is less defined than the rest of the piece and that keeps bringing me back to it, whereas I think you would want people to glance at it, realise it's a lamp, and then move on to the focus of the piece. I'd get rid of the top of the lamp entirely and make the body of it less sketchy, particularly in the shading and linework.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It took me quite a bit to realize that the missile launcher on the front car isn't part of the monster's leg. The tangent's been pointed out already, but it really tripped me up.

Keep it goin' man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by madkatter View Post
    I like where this is going, but I think the top of the lamp in the extreme foreground is distracting. The rest of the lamp, also, is less defined than the rest of the piece and that keeps bringing me back to it, whereas I think you would want people to glance at it, realise it's a lamp, and then move on to the focus of the piece. I'd get rid of the top of the lamp entirely and make the body of it less sketchy, particularly in the shading and linework.
    lol you are absolutely right. thanks for pointing out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Nateman742

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The wreckage of the floor the sniper's on still confuses me. That's what old damage looks like, clearly it isn't recent. Has this town been going through war for a long time or something?

I'm also bothered by the hook thing hanging over the monster's body. It looks way too massive to be easily held up without unbalancing it, and there are tangents with the roofs on the right that make it hard to tell how it connects in the first place.

The rocket launcher on the cop car really doesn't make sense to me. It looks like some sort of retractable thing, but where does it go? Into the driver's seat? Not to mention, it doesn't look like it would fit in that little hatch anyhow. It's such an odd thing to add to the side of a car, you'd expect something like that attached to the roof or trunk maybe.

Perspective's better on the left, although the darker buildings nearer the viewer are following a different horizon line than the building the sniper is on. So not quite there, although it does look improved.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Allright... one advice... loose the rocket launcher. It doesnt make sense.... Scale wise the helicopter still seem like its a toy. If you compare it to a window in the street in the background you will see that it is about the same size. I'm not sure of what the focus is of this picture. Is it the monster.. or is it the police that is fighting the monster. That noted... very few police around. By adding the huge leg you have cluttered the view a bit and make the scale of it all more strange.

But that isnt the biggest problem. I think you're main problem lies in the composition of youre piece. It seems chaotic at this part. It's like the camera man isnt sure where to put his focus. The big monster, or the heroic police! Think of it... imagine you standing there, where would you watch as journalist, try to imagine the street. Try to feel the piece.

Colorwise it is a wee bit on the flat side.. The lightning need some thinking trough. The car beams of light for instanche, it doesnt seem to connect with the street... nor does it cast any shadows.. All it does is resemble a spray of milk the is oddly enough converging in a small rectangular puddle in front of the car.

Hmmm.. did I forget anything.... oh yeah, when designing creatures, and you are willing to make uhm look like big destructo like critters... draw them on a seperate piece of paper, design them too, and you will find that it all will make more sense afterwards.

This is not a finished piece... there is a whole lot of work to do. Camera angle, lightning, creature design, composition.

Do not despair though, work work work and it will all get better.

Greetz,

Writero

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.