Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Team Chow III: Level 42 Night Goblin Rangers

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Zilrion for the PO, and thatnks for the comment Janos
    -----------

So I started working on the 8 of pentacles. Here's the card descrip: http://www.learntarot.com/p8.htm Basically, dilligence, hard work and attention to detail is the meaning. Since it's of the pentacles (earth) suit, it usually has to deal with crafting. It was pretty hard to think of anything better than "alien repairs something" but eventually I came up with the idea that the development of those super-efficient chlorophyll plates I was talking about could have possibly solved an energy crisis they had in the past. The image turned into a dedicated scientist working to develop those plates. Here's where I'm at and a short description:

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  52.5 KB

“We faced the sixth energy crisis in the same amount of decades. Fossil fuels were finite, fusion was impractical at smaller scales, and our entire way of life - made possible only by our power suits - was seemingly coming to an end. Mran Dalla refused to lose concentration, however. Her diligence lost her her friends, her mate, even her status as a scientist. In the end, she developed a new molecule called atraphyll - an incredibly efficient, nearly black version of chlorophyll able to absorb energy from even the green portions of the EM spectrum. Weaved onto standard energy plates, they powered our suits with ease. She drew her inspiration for the earth, and we all draw our inspiration from her.”

Unfortunately, the story turned out to be more interesting than the image. Here are a couple of sketches for it:

Name:  8e2.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  118.0 KB Name:  82e.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  139.2 KB

I changed the pose slightly after realising that it wasn't very natural. Any crits or ideas on the miage are appreciated. It'll of course be better once more rendering and textures get in there, but I feel like something's missing.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wrah I'm falling behiiiind...

Here's so far on the sun image, it's kinda far from done.. a lot of designing parts to do. Idea: These sun people are like a society of super-ninja-assassin-pirate-warlords that travel around the galaxy in search of planets that are so polluted no sunlight can get through. Then they pretty much kill the evil-doers and make stuff grow, yay for the environment! yeye, I'll come up with a better backstory, cause I just sound like a drunk atm.

Name:  thumbs.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  101.3 KB

Name:  thesunlolexperiment2 copy.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  160.2 KB

Last edited by ErikStorstein; January 20th, 2010 at 12:24 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikStorstein For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice Zilrion I gave my crits via PM but just for the sake of completion:

- hand was a little large
    - could brighten the background since the sun would be hitting it plus it could make her legs read better
    - and other things that I forget

And don't worry about being "Behind" my first image is too busy and the second is too boring, I'd rather be late than blah.
    --------------

As per some crits I did some sketching thinking about how to make the subject's work a little more interesting. After a few pages of fail I came upon a seated version of her, with some clothes and more props. Let me know whatcha think:

Name:  awdawdwd.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  144.5 KB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice Jason, and thanks again for the feedback it's very much appreciated. I love your pencil sketches, as for suggestion; why not give her some scifi like tools to make them?

here's a colourupdate from me, didn't spent too much time today. I should of done some more proper linework for the background, might go back and do that.
    Name:  colourssunnn.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  200.4 KB

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikStorstein For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So guys, we pretty much have one more week to go. Time to get our stuff out there

Here's pretty much what I'll do for the 8 of pentacles. Still have to add 2 more pentacles somewhere. Tried to imply an overall diamond shape to the image.

Name:  82.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  52.0 KB

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure if I'll do much more to this, critique time?
    Sorry for lack of updates, Im procrastinating a lot :<

edit: jason pointed out horizonline fail, so fixed that
    edit2: added details. ahah wrote 2009.. wrah not used to the new year :o

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ErikStorstein; January 27th, 2010 at 02:57 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikStorstein For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple "almost there" pics for crits. I hate em, just want to finish them...

Attached Images Attached Images    

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello team! Really cool stuff happening here, I love the diversity in ideas of building these worlds/characters from the cards!
    I'll just offer a few words, hopefully they'll be helpful. Jason - the last picture - with her body composition and the angle of her seating I'm not so sure about her backside. She would appear to be 'neater'/more toned, but maybe that's just me. I like the picture above too, the armour 'body shell' and HUD is looking pretty sweet. I'm not sure, but the perspective on the mace might be a little confusing, it might flatten her dynamic posing.
    Erik/Zilrion, looking good too! I much prefer the new golden rays and regrowing background. The organic elements are really nice. The orange highlighting is allowing for a lot more life/vibrancy.
    Now that she is slightly slanted, I felt straight away that her cannon/regrowth device should be longer. It used to reach above her head, and now that her head/torso seems more upright, it looks stunted. If her hand is inside then it would appear to be very near the mouth/energy source. I'm not sure about the flip - it's a difficult angle you're trying to work here, I may have preferred her advancing left. I'm not sure, but I flipped the image again for myself and it just seemed like she had more room. Clouds are really nice, look forward to seeing what else rises up behind her.
    Great stuff, keep it up guys!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Meaisín For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm the master of waiting untill the last minute. Here's a slight progress on the sun card, which im considering tilting again as I think I like it better.
    Name:  thesun.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  175.3 KB

and thumb for the 5 of pent
    Name:  thumb5ofp.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  106.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys it looks like I'm going to have to be a loser here and drop out. There's no way I can make it.
    Great job guys and good luck, and sorry.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jason Babe! Final:

Name:  FiveOfPentacles_Zilrion.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  242.6 KBName:  TheSun_Zilrion.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  201.8 KB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2