Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Irrlaeufer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome, nice initiative!

if you want, wanna change our title to team Utopian Battleship?

i think daestwen wants us to use the team title when requesting cards, and im about to post in the signup thread saying we're an official team and to place us in the list accordingly, might as well use the team name across all threads .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmkay

done.

I got Love imperialist drug lab. sounds awesome too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm glad it is acceptable, haha. I think it has a nice ring.

So as to the cards, if you two have specific ones you'd like to do i say feel free to post in the card thread and request them for our team, I guess choosing one major and one minor tarot each is the best way to do it, so feel free to do that!

I'm not sure what I'm going to go after yet, i may even end up choosing two minors or something. I'm going to sleep on it and work that out later today. (it is 7am here and i have yet to go to bed, i wanted to sort this all out first! silly me.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good night, instinct!

Hm, I'm still thinking about the cards... from the major arcana I like the chariot, the star, and the world, and the lower I have to check again...

"The reason why truth is so much stranger than fiction is that there is no requirement for it to be consistent."-Mark Twain

gone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, I've settled on the Two of Cups and the Five of Swords, so nike, if you want to do two Major Arcana feel free!

Also if either of you have any ideas towards perhaps some kind of over-arching theme or colour/design scheme we could work towards to end up with images that feel 'team-like' or something, post 'em!
    It's a completely different direction, but one thing i was thinking about was taking it into another genre, for example, what would a tarot used in a sci-fi setting be like?

Now, to bed!

Last edited by instinct; December 28th, 2009 at 10:21 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I reserved the two now because I'm a bit in a hurry. Need to catch the train. So I'd say you just do the same as soon as you have decided which cards to pick.

I find this link quite useful: http://www.tarot.com/tarot/decks/index.php?deckID=23 LostFAyth has posted it in the Topics and Discusiion Thread. Maybe you have already checked it out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I don't have a better suggestion for a team name, I think utopian battleship is nice (as a cat person I'd prefer battlecats, heh, but I like ships, too)

"The reason why truth is so much stranger than fiction is that there is no requirement for it to be consistent."-Mark Twain

gone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the drug lab sounds cool, too... my best result was disaster voodoo church

So, hm, do you already have ideas which cards you'd like to do?

gone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, first things first. I think the name thing is not a big issue, much more important: the cards! I'd like to go for The Empress and Three of swords before all slots are full.
    What about the two of you?

okay, good night then instinct.

What about you Nike?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi everyone

checked in on the team chow thread and saw that you were looking for a fourth

close to 2 am here atm so im going to pick two cards and sign up for them in the main thread as well as posting them here, then im going to sign off for tonite, or ill be rubbish for work tomolo ill check in again tomorrow. the mesoaerican inca/mayan references sound like they could make for a good solid foundation to get a choesive design going.

different colours for different suits is also a good idea.

I like the scifi idea too, most tarots ive seen tend not to go for scifi. mayans in spaaaace!

unless ive read it wrong, you dont need to go for major arcana, in which case im signing up for four of cups and two of pentacles.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep, no need to chose Major Arcana. In fact, Daestwen is giving out golden stars to teams that choose more minor arcana over major! We're already ahead! hahaha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    posted in the main thread about my two choices, dunno if daestwen wants one gathered post of all out choices eventually, but figured id get those in before i fell into bed see you all tomorrow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome Mimer and good morning / good night everybody.

I collected some images from the net that might be useful for my card. Dunno if it it's gonna be useful for yours, too. But since these threads are about bringing along all kinds of stuff and sharing it, here it is.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome pic collection, Irrlaeufer

I have found some image collection for mesoamerican stuff:

http://research.mayavase.com/kerrportfolio.html

you can browse and download all images of the codices, too:
    http://www.famsi.org/mayawriting/codices/index.html

and a lot of other .pdf files (some are whole books) on art and architecture of the different ancient mesoamerican cultures.

will try to collect some pics, too

gone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not so familiar with the mesoamericans. Tried to find some decent images of their clothing but it's kind of difficult. Photography wasn't invented when their cultures got extinguished and the way they depicted themselves in stone engravings looks artsy but not so much in the way that it's a suitable style for CHOW I guess. Does anybody know some movies for that purpose? Like Apocalypto or something?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have tons of pics, also of textiles... the images in the codices, on the vases, and the stucco/wallpainting are similar to the egyptian stuff - they are "flat", but give you a general idea about the clothing ...
    I will try to find more textile pics in the evening... I know I have some in books that I could scan

but I don't think you have to stick 1:1 to the refs - you can use the symbolic language for your creation - include the symbols in the dresses, background etc...

gone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great that you are collecting all the links - thanks!

hm, they changed to a limited preview... http://books.google.at/books?id=resU...age&q=&f=false
    not many interesting pics, so I think we can leave that aside.

gone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some pics:

Maya murals from Bonampak (Mexico) displaying warriors, chiefs, nobles...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...collection.jpg

+ reconstructed? mayan costumes + burial mask
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...yacostumes.jpg

not mesoamerican, but precolumbian stuff from Peru:
    Peru, Moche culture, Lord of Sipán burial (costumes, adornments)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...collection.jpg

Inca mummies: "La Doncella" and a reconstruction of "Juanita Ice maiden's" clothing:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...icemaidens.jpg

Please save the images on your computer if they are of any use for you, since I'm not sure about image rights etc. I will remove them after a few days.

gone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The mummy is 500 years old but she looks like she is sleeping. Interesting stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hallo i think i dig the southamerican/american angle better than egyptian/asian, not because its bad inspirationally, but because the egyptian and asian themes are so prevalent in influencing all sorts of things lately, and mesoamerican stuff a bit less so.

i guess whatever we choose we will have to boil it down to something tangible, like use of golds, certain colours, symbols, jewellery/design that we find. combine that with the other part of the theme like scifi, deep ocean explorers (tyoed with that thought as i was chugging home from work on the train) or something else for a cool mix

have to go and read up on tarot too, only got basic knowledge of the concepts

for some inspirational tarot art, check this out:

http://www.shadowscapes.com/Tarot/cardsmain.php?suit=0

that deck blows my fragile little mind, and with bloody watercolours too...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We are go

I've recently come across a program called etherpad, which is a kind of free document handler online which makes it easy to put together shared documents. it was bought up by google and in danger of beeing shut down, but was later released for open use and a number of versions are now hosted on the net. i picked one and started out a doc for us, check it out and see if its something you think we could use for keeping our ideas in an orderly fashion we'll still use the thread a lot, not least for all the art we will be producing, but this doc is easier to use for the general ideas than having it spread out over the thread or having someone editing the first post each time we want to alter something about it.

Check it out in the link below, write in your name to the left, pick a colour and edit away

http://piratepad.net/utopianbattleship

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Happy new year everyone!

mimer - that's a nice idea and thanks for the link to the watercolor deck

I think idea to do thumbnails and general ideas for each card is very good - I think it's easier to see where we'll go if we have some general ideas, too.

Will start sketching now - since my scanner died yesterday, it might take a few days till I'm able to show some sketches, or I'll do some digi sketches, too - I'll see. I feel more comfortable sketching with pencil

gone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay. It's from the pirate party cool program! I think somebody in another thread offered invitations for google wave which is still in an open beta as far as i know. Maybe we can get our hands on that, too. Just to try it out, I'm curious since it gets hyped so much.

Here is a first rough sketch for the empress. Haven't figured out how to add media files to the pirates pad:

Last edited by Irrlaeufer; January 1st, 2010 at 10:59 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dont think you can use the pad for piccies, so we are probably better off with all the picture goodness on here, both reference and our own work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice start!

since she's an empress, it might help to make the pic more interesting if you show her from a lower viewpoint? Might add a stronger and more confident feel.

gone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all, sorry I've been inactive the last few days, i was deep in the Canadian wilds over New Years, I'll go over the thread and throw some thumbnails up asap!

edit::

Okay, I did some reading!
    I'll try to have my initial thumbnails up (and legible) for discussion by the end of the weekend. I'm excited to see everyone's ideas!

This piratepad is very interesting, I'm going to have to remember it for future uses.

Last edited by instinct; January 1st, 2010 at 07:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all, just finished reinstalling Photoshop. For some reason it started running really slowly, so i said to hell with it and did a clean install.

To celebrate I did a few quick thumbnails for the Five of Swords while watching Discovery Channel.

My plan for the Five of Swords is to depict a successful and smug character, who is obviously successful in his/her profession as a military officer or mercenary. Well dressed and postured, depicting a self-satisfaction or inflated ego.

In the first image you can clearly see the motif i will probably use no matter what the final image, the painted heraldry or icon of 5 swords pointing towards the characters throat, i wanted this to symbolize some of the meanings of the tarot card when it is reversed. His hands are behind his back, as if posing for a portrait after a battle or victory.

The second image is a woman this time, standing over an 'altercation', her 5 swords spent on the enemy, she has one hand behind her back in military fashion, and is analyzing her other hand, perhaps for any blood that has made its way under her fingernails.

The third is more of a basic pose, from the front, in a light environment, the armour would be overly elaborate complete with a full 'akuma' mask. the aim of this one would be to showcase the wearers confidence in his/her elaborate armour and weaponry, complete with hands on hips.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.