Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Team ChoW III - Utopian Battleship

Thanks
    Yep, no need to chose Major Arcana. In fact, Daestwen is giving out golden stars to teams that choose more minor arcana over major! We're already ahead! hahaha.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    posted in the main thread about my two choices, dunno if daestwen wants one gathered post of all out choices eventually, but figured id get those in before i fell into bed see you all tomorrow

Thanks
    Welcome Mimer and good morning / good night everybody.

I collected some images from the net that might be useful for my card. Dunno if it it's gonna be useful for yours, too. But since these threads are about bringing along all kinds of stuff and sharing it, here it is.

Thanks
    awesome pic collection, Irrlaeufer

I have found some image collection for mesoamerican stuff:

http://research.mayavase.com/kerrportfolio.html

you can browse and download all images of the codices, too:
    http://www.famsi.org/mayawriting/codices/index.html

and a lot of other .pdf files (some are whole books) on art and architecture of the different ancient mesoamerican cultures.

will try to collect some pics, too
    "The reason why truth is so much stranger than fiction is that there is no requirement for it to be consistent."-Mark Twain

gone.

Thanks
    I'm not so familiar with the mesoamericans. Tried to find some decent images of their clothing but it's kind of difficult. Photography wasn't invented when their cultures got extinguished and the way they depicted themselves in stone engravings looks artsy but not so much in the way that it's a suitable style for CHOW I guess. Does anybody know some movies for that purpose? Like Apocalypto or something?

Thanks
    I have tons of pics, also of textiles... the images in the codices, on the vases, and the stucco/wallpainting are similar to the egyptian stuff - they are "flat", but give you a general idea about the clothing ...
    I will try to find more textile pics in the evening... I know I have some in books that I could scan

but I don't think you have to stick 1:1 to the refs - you can use the symbolic language for your creation - include the symbols in the dresses, background etc...
    "The reason why truth is so much stranger than fiction is that there is no requirement for it to be consistent."-Mark Twain

gone.

Thanks
    I want to collect the links and summarize them in the initial posting so that we have a overview. I think it's easier to browse that way. Nike, the google book link you posted doesn't work and I don't know how to fix it either. Maybe you can post it again.

Thanks
    great that you are collecting all the links - thanks!

hm, they changed to a limited preview... http://books.google.at/books?id=resU...age&q=&f=false
    not many interesting pics, so I think we can leave that aside.

gone.

Thanks
    some pics:

Maya murals from Bonampak (Mexico) displaying warriors, chiefs, nobles...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...collection.jpg

+ reconstructed? mayan costumes + burial mask
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...yacostumes.jpg

not mesoamerican, but precolumbian stuff from Peru:
    Peru, Moche culture, Lord of Sipán burial (costumes, adornments)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...collection.jpg

Inca mummies: "La Doncella" and a reconstruction of "Juanita Ice maiden's" clothing:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...icemaidens.jpg

Please save the images on your computer if they are of any use for you, since I'm not sure about image rights etc. I will remove them after a few days.

gone.

Thanks
    The mummy is 500 years old but she looks like she is sleeping. Interesting stuff.

Thanks
    hallo i think i dig the southamerican/american angle better than egyptian/asian, not because its bad inspirationally, but because the egyptian and asian themes are so prevalent in influencing all sorts of things lately, and mesoamerican stuff a bit less so.

i guess whatever we choose we will have to boil it down to something tangible, like use of golds, certain colours, symbols, jewellery/design that we find. combine that with the other part of the theme like scifi, deep ocean explorers (tyoed with that thought as i was chugging home from work on the train) or something else for a cool mix

have to go and read up on tarot too, only got basic knowledge of the concepts

for some inspirational tarot art, check this out:

http://www.shadowscapes.com/Tarot/cardsmain.php?suit=0

that deck blows my fragile little mind, and with bloody watercolours too...

Thanks
    We are go

I've recently come across a program called etherpad, which is a kind of free document handler online which makes it easy to put together shared documents. it was bought up by google and in danger of beeing shut down, but was later released for open use and a number of versions are now hosted on the net. i picked one and started out a doc for us, check it out and see if its something you think we could use for keeping our ideas in an orderly fashion we'll still use the thread a lot, not least for all the art we will be producing, but this doc is easier to use for the general ideas than having it spread out over the thread or having someone editing the first post each time we want to alter something about it.

Check it out in the link below, write in your name to the left, pick a colour and edit away

http://piratepad.net/utopianbattleship

Thanks
    Happy new year everyone!

mimer - that's a nice idea and thanks for the link to the watercolor deck

I think idea to do thumbnails and general ideas for each card is very good - I think it's easier to see where we'll go if we have some general ideas, too.

Will start sketching now - since my scanner died yesterday, it might take a few days till I'm able to show some sketches, or I'll do some digi sketches, too - I'll see. I feel more comfortable sketching with pencil

gone.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast