EOW 130 The Well At the World's End. MULTIVOTE!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Eow 130 Well at the world's end

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tsujni

13 22.81%
  • thescala

2 3.51%
  • jagged88

0 0%
  • Ragnj

9 15.79%
  • JanJager

19 33.33%
  • Tertriodotoxin

3 5.26%
  • Ocrehand

6 10.53%
  • isso09

3 5.26%
  • savo

1 1.75%
  • reymus

5 8.77%
  • corrick

8 14.04%
  • Ganesh.n

2 3.51%
  • Jeltz

9 15.79%
  • RedPen

2 3.51%
  • Originalvyn

0 0%
  • Tesla

5 8.77%
  • Dravidan

1 1.75%
  • DarkKnight

0 0%
  • xbert

7 12.28%
  • xabian

1 1.75%
  • elihanselman

4 7.02%
  • misledtomisery

12 21.05%
  • zirngibism

25 43.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

EOW 130 The Well At the World's End. MULTIVOTE!

EOW 130 The Well At the World's End. WHich contains the water of Life

Brief
    the title is the Brief

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wel..._World%27s_End
    this book is the inspiration for the topic, But by no means feel confined to it's content

DUE December 29th 2009

Go!!

NO description required, say what you need to say visually. the words are already there.

FOLLOW THE TOPIC.

POST YOUR FINAL HERE THREAD.

SAVE YOUR FILES IN THE FOLLOWING FORMAT.
    EOW##_Nickname
    example: "EOW#100_Chaosrocks.jpg"

PLACE THE IMAGE IN A FRAME WITH YOUR NAME/TOPIC

example from CHOW

(you can add CA logo, etc).

Add an icon to you final post
    150 pixels either direction
    PLEASE OUTSIDE HOST THE ICON
    k thx

Last edited by chaosrocks; December 31st, 2009 at 11:39 AM.
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tsujni For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last edited by thescala; December 29th, 2009 at 08:36 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnj For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    [IMG]="http://www.janjager.se/icon/wellicon.jpg"]http://www.janjager.se/icon/wellicon.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by chaosrocks; December 31st, 2009 at 11:34 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JanJager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't really mean to put this in here when I painted it, but since it's done, I might as well...

Name:  EOW#130_Tetrodotoxin.jpg
Views: 1533
Size:  308.5 KB

Last edited by Tetrodotoxin; December 31st, 2009 at 09:46 AM. Reason: having trouble with hosting... but it's alright if I'm not going to poll...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Funlabor.com, my portfolio site.
    Paint My Brains Out, my blog

12. The Following User Says Thank You to OchreHand For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Janjager, good stuff. We were kinda thinking the same thing I think, except opposite angles.

Last edited by isso09; December 28th, 2009 at 09:10 PM. Reason: forgot about thumbnail

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

--------------------------------------------------------------
    New World Creation: Designers Wanted Environment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last edited by ganesh.n; December 29th, 2009 at 05:42 AM.
    Thanks
    ganesh.n

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My first EoW, hoping to do more of these challenges to expand my skills a bit.

Last edited by Jeltz; December 29th, 2009 at 04:42 AM.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jeltz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Name:  EOW#130_RedPen.jpg
Views: 1410
Size:  464.0 KB

Giving this a go for the first time. Good luck to everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Long time listener, first time caller

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

EOW

Last edited by Dravidan; December 29th, 2009 at 09:45 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RaphaelLuebke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last edited by elihanselman; December 29th, 2009 at 11:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last edited by Zirngibism; January 3rd, 2010 at 09:32 PM.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zirngibism For This Useful Post:

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All in All done... Damn Fine work all of you...
    closed. Poll to follow , new topic by the end of the day.

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All this hard work deserves a round of crits, so here goes:

tsujni-- As always, your piece reflects your beautiful style. I like how it's a combination of both sensitivity and harshness in brushwork, with a great color sense (love the dallup of saturated red on the figure.) I'm not quite sure what the structure is, though, I almost want to say it's organic. So I am a little confused. But that doesn't make the piece any less fun to look at.

thescala-- This is interesting. I like your idea of integrating gears into a natural environment. However, I find the luminous texture on the sides a bit distracting. If it's supposed to be bioluminescence, perhaps you should come up with some kind of alien looking plant to explain the glow.

Jagged88-- Bold choice to tilt the view like that, but I think it works. I'd work on sharpening the edges a bit on the focus point.

Ragnj-- This is pretty cool. It's interesting to see a line drawing for EOW. My crit is that the greatest point of contrast is in the sky. The harsh line between the mist and space instantly draws my eye to it, making me neglect the delectable rendering and details going on in the water and rock. But if you just added some hatching or something it should help push it back.

JanJager-- This is a nice piece, reminiscent of traditional oil rendering. I like the way it suggests the great wall, perhaps as being a world divider. I'd feel better about it if the well was off center a bit. (Though I've never really been a fan of symmetrical compositions, that could just be my preference.) Was this done in Painter or Photoshop?

Tetrodotoxin-- Beautiful handling of the light on the mountains. I ust watched Brother Bear the other day and it reminds me of some of color palette of that movie. But what bothers me is the stark contrast in handling of the foreground structure and the background. While a cool design, the structure is so flat and graphic that the difference between it and the mountain is a little distracting. Also, since it's backlit, how about shining a few sprinkles of the light through the water?

OchreHand-- Neat! Great handling of the materials. However, I find the border leaves distracting, maybe because they're so sharp and create such a strong contrast with the background. If you were to lighten and blur them a bit, I think it'll help to better direct the viewer's attention to the ship area.

isso09--Beautiful colors and light going on here, though I would like to see the light effects less universally applied to the leaves. I realize you used a gradient with a blending mode, with is a smart technique. But breaking up that effect by going in and erasing parts of that gradient can really make things pop.
    Again, I'm not a fan of symmetrical compositions but take that with a grain of salt.

Savo--This is a good composition, but I think it would work even better if you played up those lower cliffs some more. Also, in my opinion the most beautiful element you have her is the sky. Great brushwork here! I'd like to see more of that brushwork applied to the foreground as well, which seems right now to be less like a painting and more like colored linework. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just there's a bit of a disconnect between styles.

Reymus-- Overall iamge is pretty cool. I like how the directional brushwork follows the sweeping diagonal of the mountain. I'm not sure whether it's a good thing or bad thing that you can't see the water's source. Oh wait, I didn't show the water's "source" in mine either, so I think it can pass, haha. My technical crit is that I'd like to see some more sharpness in the foreground to create more of an illusion of depth. Right now the close rocks have the same edge quality as the middle ground ones.

Corrick-- This is pretty cool. Glad to see a science fiction theme here. I almost did one myself, haha... Anyway, this makes me think of some of that old-school airbrused fantasy art. I'm not exactly sure how to interpret it according to the theme. Is the crook between the foreground and middleground mountains actually a hole, and the ship is hovering above to harvest something from/lower someone into it? Is some kind of glowing plasma water dripping out of the ship, and IT is the well? And the mountain range is the edge of the world because it divides the world? My confusing aside, this is a nice painting.

ganesh.n-- This is a nice pleasant scene. My brother looking over my shoulder a while ago really liked it for this reason. If I were you, I'd push the edge sharpness more, especially on the well rocks. Also, perhaps put more of that tree trunk in sihadow. Between the stylization and purity of colors, this seems to be in limbo between stylized and "naturalistic", and sometimes it's better to choose one or the other. How'd you get the water effect, by the way?

Jeltz-- I love this piece! The colors, natural style and delightfully whimsical steampunk look of it really appeals to my personal tastes. Have you looked at some of Shaun Tan's illustrations? This kind of reminds me of him a bit. Also, I'm curious to know how much of this is digital. Did you start with a watercolor wash, or is that texture? Anyway, my only crit is that I'd like to see another area of space, to give this more depth. Since it doesn't have anything in the immediate foreground, perhaps some kind of distant mountain range would help to push it forward in comparison... or something. Cool stuff, though.

RedPen-- Like the primary palette. Another symmetrical composition. I suppose symmetrical is monumental, and because this theme is "monumental" of sorts, it makes sense to do this. Anyway, it works. I like your color choice, but I think you've got a contrast issue. The background, specifically the clouds, is so dynamic, with variations in both value, hue, and saturation, but the actual well itself is muted and low contrast, making me have to force myself to look at it. This wouldn't be too hard to fix in Photoshop, just try using curves on that area or something.

OriginAlvyn-- Love the concept here. Anything to do with trench life and whatnot is pretty darn cool. I take it these are "white smoker" vents? Either way, these types of vents truly are like wells of life to the chemo/thermosynthetic organisms living down there. If I'm interpreting you correctly, this is one of the "smartest" pieces here. Techniquewise, I'd like to see you sharpen the area you want to be a focal point. While you could get away with sharpening the sub, I think you should put more attention, detail, and sharpness into the vent itself, since that's what the piece is about.

Tesla--Woah, that's some dramatic light! I like the way you personified the mist, actually, I would've been expecting more people to do that than actually did. Somehow, though, the strong cool blue and strong warm oranges/yellows seem a bit too isolated from each other. Try adding some orange to the water spirits (after all, they are reflecting the orange sky) and see what happens!

Dravidan-- Sinister! I think this would work better if you painted the rain though. The way you did it makes it look kind of isolated and kind of alienates the images for me a bit.

darknight-- This is a neat concept, I like the idea of seeing the well through a vertical hole/mouth. However, the values shifts/texture make this kind of convoluted and flatten it a bit, especially where the face is. Also, at first I wasn't sure where the well was supposed to be, because I thought that horizontal line within the mouth was a floor. Perhaps if you added some space to the bottom of the piece and showed water dribbling out from between the teeth?

xbert-- Wow... I really don't quite know how to summarize this. In a nontraditional way, it seems like the most successful piece here. You handled the idea of the edge the world in a surreal, almost "other-dimensional" way. It's disturbing and unsettling, and it WORKS-- it makes me ask, is this a world of depth and this well is an island of life? But the well looks kind of sinister, but since it's the only thing there, it becomes monumental. I know this isn't your usual way of working from your sketchbook (which is nice, by the way), so kudos for going out on a limb. While I'm not one to like minimalism in my own work or that of others, I'm going to make the exception and include this in my list of ones to vote for when the poll goes up.

xabian-- You've got some nice colors going on here. I've always found night scenes to be difficult, and you've pulled off the ambiance well. However, the value of the water seems a bit out of place. While I realized you probably brightened it to draw our attention to it or make it seem magical, perhaps you should add an aura of "glow" around it to show that it's supposed to be unnaturally bright. I'm not sure if the foreground bit is supposed to be soft grass, or turbulent water. It's pretty cool looking either way, though the blend lines would be better horizontal if it's water. Also, perhaps tighten the edge of some of the rocks a bit and you're golden.

EliHanselman-- VERY nice rendering of the cross. I'm not sure where the well-part is supposed to be (and am assuming it's all the water below it from the reflection). However, I think the pure black is too big on either side. I realize you're going for sort of a chiaroscuro sort of thing, but with SO much negative space it appears like more of a vignette to me.

misledtomisery00-- This is a very successful illustration, especially the composition and way you tilted it slightly. Sometimes I think tilting of environments is gimmicky, but it seems to work OK here. You have a good sense of distributing values. I would suggest maybe something in our immediate foreground, or perhaps darkening/sharpening of the rocks closer to us to create the illusion of depth more. I was initially going to say that the water seemed too light and simplified, but at the same time doing this has created the most contrast in the image, leading the eye to it. So I guess it's your call. Good job.

Zirngibism--It felt good to do more of a surreal/fantasy piece this time, because I've kind of been lacking in them as of late. I'm struggling with managing all of the elements and trying not to make it seem too busy or confusing, but I think I'm improving at it. In retrospect I probably should've included some sky as negative space and room for it to breathe a bit.

(Whew! That was a duzy... congrats to everyone's work and good luck.)

Last edited by Zirngibism; December 31st, 2009 at 12:39 AM.

33. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Zirngibism For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Zirngibism View Post

Jeltz-- I love this piece! The colors, natural style and delightfully whimsical steampunk look of it really appeals to my personal tastes. Have you looked at some of Shaun Tan's illustrations? This kind of reminds me of him a bit. Also, I'm curious to know how much of this is digital. Did you start with a watercolor wash, or is that texture? Anyway, my only crit is that I'd like to see another area of space, to give this more depth. Since it doesn't have anything in the immediate foreground, perhaps some kind of distant mountain range would help to push it forward in comparison... or something. Cool stuff, though.

I've looking into one of his books 'the Arrival' which i realy liked yes. But thanks for reminding me, think i just might get it.

As for my work, the linework is traditional pencil and charcoal on paper. The rest is digital (colors, a charcoal texture for the background, the lighting)
    And ye i know its a bit flat. Normaly the picture was bigger, the rock on which the city is built would have been a floating flat worlddisk. But i didnt like what i did there so i cropped it And maybe the left rock could have been faded out more for more depth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crits Zirngibism I do appreciate it, I also like the water effect you have going on in the foreground good job.

I also like yours JanJager you can see what they went through to get to the well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good round this, alot of fascinating ideas and as usual really nice finishes.

tSujni, amazing! Your really talented which Ive seen in other works of you aswell, always very intruiging pictures.

Last edited by Ragnj; January 1st, 2010 at 05:33 PM.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnj For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zirngibism, thanks for the crit, this is my first environment, it was challenging and fun. Edge heirarchy is something I'm working on. I like how your piece is composed with a clear fore, mid and back plane, and how the figures fit the water of life theme, nice job.

My eye is really drawn to the crisp edges of the water reflection in the foreground; it's clearly the focus, but something about how the edges were rendered makes it feel more crystal/ice-like than running water.

Again, thanks for the crit and looking forward to contributing in future "of the weeks"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Zirngibism:
    hey fat thank you for your ind words, didnt had much time for this one so i had to do some more minimalistic - but haha just 3 votes for now, ill spend more time on the next eow.
    your entry is great! hope to see you at eow 131

great work everyone, i voted for Ragnj - fantastic drawing!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2