Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Finally, some artwork...

Silhouettes of the different characters - first, the 5 of Swords, then the Lovers (male & female)... still trying to pick out a good costume design. I'm basing them heavily off of Cirque du Soleil costumes (mostly from Kooza and Zumanity)

Also, a quick thumb of the 5 of Swords concept... sorry for the sloppy anatomy, etc... I didn't want to draw him actually swallowing the sword because then you wouldn't see his face, which defeats the purpose of a character design... so I had the guy in the back swallow 4 swords simultaneously while Mr. 5 handles the fifth. I'll try and draw the Lovers thumbnails tomorrow and another swords idea if I can come up with one.

Thoughts? Any favourites / least favs / recommendations?
    Last edited by Arish; January 5th, 2010 at 01:27 AM.
    Arish in the Mirror - Self-Portrait page

Sketchbook

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Arish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    FIVE OF SWORDS!!! Yes! Now that's what I like to see. Great team name too. MORE MORE MORE!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to secret_science For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    -grins- I love that concept, Arish.... good call on the dude in the back with his 4 swords. Heheh... hope he doesn't have a coughing problem ;}

I'll post more later; I'm at work right now. Huzzah for progress!

Hey Science... welcome to our SB! Thanks for the comments. We'll get MORE in, promise. :]

Tav

Thanks
    OMG work/life hates me. So sorry I haven't been able to get back and give a serious response and/or post the rest of my thumbs. -sighs- Life.... oh how you loathe me!

In terms of your thumbs, I like #2, #3 and #5 from the 5ofSwords (and, of course, the sketch at the end!). From the Lovers, I like the 4th male and the 2nd female. Something about their... aesthetic?...seems right. They've got the same energy.

I have a few sketches of my own but haven't had time with my scanner to clean them up and post. I'm hoping, with the weekend here, I can get them uploaded soon. I brought my SB with me to work today so while I'm busy substituting later today I can sketch. Yay for forward thinking? ;]

If you have any questions, let me know....

Also! What is your schedule for next week? I've been on MSN a few times but I've yet to really run into you. I know you're 3 hours ahead of me but I think we could get a few moments scheduled in, even if they were on iScribble.

My coming week will actually be more smooth than this one. To the best of my knowledge, work will die down a bit and I don't think I have any night-time work commitments. My only issue is that we do have a taekwondo class four nights a week (2 for husband and I and 2 for our daughter) that fit, roughly, into the 6:30-8pm Pacific time period. Our daughter's bedtime is 9:30 and I usually have time from 10pm until whenever exhaustion catches up with me. I can, however, be on during the day at work or in the late afternoon and early evening. I can even forgo my schedule if there's a need. I'm pretty flexible. :]

Hopefully something in the above will work for you too!

Tav

Thanks
    Whew... so I finally got around to scanning a bunch of work.

The beginning bits (four in total) were done before my previous color-wips (posted above). I did them, literally (LOL) as the fireworks were crashin' outside the party on New Year's day... Something like 12:01am. Everyone was all "Wtf are you doin?" and I was all "It's Jan 1, I get to draw!" Needless to say I got a few weird looks. ;}

Hehe... The second one (two chars) was an attempt at putting a Queen of Cups (circus mystic) on the same page with my Nine of Pentacles idea (bearded lady). Haven't really started on the 9P card yet but the -last- image... she's the direction I'd like to head with the QC. Thoughts?

Tav

Thanks
    So we already talked about this on MSN (our schedules match up pretty nicely after all), but I like your last Q of Cups sketch the best and so do you, so it's a go And starting drawing at a New Years party after midnight on the first? Now that's dedication!

Anyway... thanks for the feedback on the sketches, I decided to take the costumes you mentioned for the Lovers (fringed pants, etc) and whipped up a few compositions. They're rather crude but more for ideas than anything else... any preferences?

Also - closeups of faces ... the girl is still pretty bland but overall, that's the general direction I'd like to go for each character.... Thoughts?

If it's good, let me know, if it's horrible, please let me know so I can fix it!

Looking forward to seeing the 9P and the costume on the Queen... ^^

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Arish you're doing some real good work here. I especially like the silhouettes above but really all your stuff is very impressive. That team logo is sweet too.

Tav it's cool that you're trying different ideas, keep pushing them and make something awesome by the end of the month.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Niva. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Finally managed to sit down and get the Queen into my computer. Thoughts on color, sizing, bg, detail, etc? I do have more depth/shadow/etc as well as detail that I plan on adding onto the fabrics... particularly the curtains in the back, the rug on the floor, and her chair. I'm toying with the idea of doing something more with her bodysuit, but for now I'm unsure.

Tav

Thanks
    Hey, sorry for falling off the face of the earth this weekend, thanks for keeping this SB alive

About the queen - I like her face, hair and costume, but she's getting lost in the picture right now because the background and foreground colours have very similar values. If you convert your picture to grayscale, you'll see what I mean ... I suggest keeping the foreground as is and lightening / reducing the saturation of the bg, to draw the viewers eye to the front.

Anyway here's my contribution for tonight - WIP of 5 of swords (lineart and composition pretty much set, colouring still needs a lot of work) ... comments, crits, suggestions? The guy in the back is sepia colour for now till I figure out what to do with him, and both of them don't have the atmospheric lighting yet. I'll probably make the swords a bit fancier too - does it need to look a certain way in the Tarot deck or anything goes?

BTW that isn't the final border - it's just a placeholder so I know what size to make it more or less. I'm thinking of making it striped but that might be a bit distracting - what do you think?

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Totally agree about the lighting. In fact, that was more or less the plan. I just wanted to get the color-blocking done so it felt more... finished. We've only got two weeks and, before this Saturday, I really only had pencil & paper work for 1 card. Heh... so rather than slackin'... I did a ton of work on Saturday. Also, tonight, I drew what I think I may use for my 9 of Pentacles. See below.

In terms of your lines and comp, I love it! My only concern is that some of the rest of the symbolism of the card may get lost if the BG is totally void? Or perhaps you were planning on adding a few more little details. -yawn- I'm tired so I might've misread. I do like the idea of making the swords more ornate... I don't think it would have to be any particular styling to fit with our tarot. Just something circus-y to fit with our theme.

As far as borders.... mmm.... really unsure there. A lil more research might be required to get it "just right" for what we're attempting. We may not even -need- a border... or we might want something uber-simple at the bottom that tells what the card is. I can post a ton of refs for borders if there's a need.

Whew... long-winded. Yay for being halfway!!

Tav
    Last edited by Tavarilyn; January 19th, 2010 at 02:51 AM.

Thanks
    Ok, after our brainstorming session... and, of course, way later in the competition than I should be... I've decided to revamp both cards from the ground up. Ahem.

So here's my redesigned 9P, focusing more on the following aspects of the card: being disciplined, exercising self-control, reining in impulses
    sacrificing to reach a goal, wanting to be alone, pursuing refinement, avoiding the coarse and unsavory, enjoying the finer things of life and enjoying leisure

I'll be going with a darker background, subtle wall-lighting... Hints of color on the costumed ladies in the BG. The FG will be well-lit from the front/bottom and the stage will have that "looks like stone" quality that Cirque's stage often has.

Whew... ok, here it is, your Mistress of Ceremonies... the Nine of Pentacles...

Tav

Thanks
    -sighs-

Ok, so... here is what I might call a finished version of the 9P card. Totally unsatisfied with it but limited schedule and time on the comp is keeping me from being able to sit with it and do something... well... not amazing, but at least better.

Thoughts?

Tav

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2