Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Team Chow III - Nameless Operatives

Thanks
    Hi,guys! I can agree with you that we should find something in common for all the cards. But I don't like the russian direction,sorry. Being russian makes me feel a strong associations with all this stuff. In last years Russia and Ukraine and all that countries that once were USSR started digging again for their historic part, and started to force it on people in kinda violent way. And I feel pretty much disgusted by their policy and can't look on these things in objective way.
    You picked here women stuff,but do you realize how russian "knight" will look.
    Something like this
    Team Chow III - Nameless Operatives
    No way! I would rather go paint Tom and Jerry.
    Probably you wouldn't understand my feelings but I'd rather go with england of 15/16 century. Or celtics or france - something interesting and standing out.
    Thought choosing country still seems not that necessary to me. We can choose world of our own and describe it,including it's style - why can't we go this way.
    We can go steampunk, fantasy, goth and horror or maybe our imagination can bring us to another place?
    Btw - what the size of the cards? Or it's up to us?
    Here - my not very successful banner for the team >_<
    Team Chow III - Nameless Operatives
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Mhh ... when you feel uncomfortable with it, we chose something else, of course.
    (Regarding the knight - as I posted before, you could make him look more like a cossack, theoretically)

The size of the card should be 9cm x 15,5cm, I think it's in the thread where you can chose the cards. It's quite slender / high ... looks a bit strange to me, but maybe the want to add a card frame by themselves since the best ones will make it into a CA tarot deck.

Personally I think Russian is far more outstanding than something Celtic or French, because that's just been there too often, but if you're Russian you sense that quite differently.

A fantasy world ... well, maybe. On the one hand I'd be fine with it, since we could still draw those dresses, but how would we make them belong together then?

I really like the banner, by the way.

Thanks
    I was forced to learn everything about those kosaks from the first Getman to the last,and I know that teachers twisted history and we never learnt about other countries. It's ridiculous. I can't stand the look of them - sorry guys.That's our difference in approach to the Russian - for me there were not other countries than Ukraine or Russia. And for you it is something exotic.
    I was at another competition recently and there was very interesting idea. Every team was given a world legend - very simple (like our world was at the edge of total distraction and it's inhabitants were forced to live in the sky, and they had flying fishes) - this can give you a lot of freedom ,but we can narrow it even more - like people of some bird clan. Everybody's wearing feathers or birdslike helmets,you know. Or dresses with feathers. Or we can make them all cards of phoenix, or cards of a blackthorn (like thorns or flowers everywhere). You will add there russian wearing if you'd like and I'll go with my own ideas. What you think?
    And thanx about the banner. ^_^ I've tried hard but it still lacks some meat. Gotto work more.

Thanks
    Ohh :/ I'm sorry about that ... sounds horrible.

The idea is interesting. What would we take, then? I'm not sure whether living in the sky would work, since the cards are quite small and that seems like a task with much landscape in it to me. The bird-thing seem interesting. There are many different things you could do with that approach: the helmet for the knight, some feathers on the dresses and maybe a big bird skull on the magician's head and a feather coat.

I don't think the banner must be perfect, since we will vote solely for the cards (or won't we?)

Thanks
    The 9cm x 15cm is print size. I'd suggest working larger, as when you scale things down - it makes everything cleaner looking. Think in scale, I'm probably going to work 9 inches by 15 inches, because I know my computer can handle it. That may not work for you.

I'm fine with not using Russian, I'm rather fond of the bird idea. However, I think you could have said something earlier, Curly. But, thank you for speaking up now.

While we don't have the same drawing style, we still need our work to be unified. So, having some of our 'characters' wearing Russian clothing, and Curly's not - would separate our work entirely.
    |blog | deviantart | cgsociety | sketchbook | Also: TerminalFears |

Thanks
    I'm gonna gather more material, more inspiration. I say go with the birds.
    Posting some beginning work in the next few hours.
    Any last comments? Arguments? other ideas?

Thanks
    Okay, so since we all agree, let's do that. (I assume curly agrees too, because it was her idea )

I did some sketches twice the size - 18 x 31 (it is 15,5 and not 15, is it? I'll better check again, not that I'm doing something wrong ...)
    I just don't get a satisfying pose for the magician, but I already found a first idea for the princess of wands. It's still quite Russian and without much bird-things, because I started sketching in the morning when I was waiting for replies^^' I've altered it a bit so that it's not too visible anymore. I think it might fit with curly's work, depending on her style. The kokoshnik kinda sucks, at least in the way it is now, maybe I'll leave it out completely.
    Tell me what you think about it I think I'm getting better with colors gradually.

Thanks
    Hey Tag,

I would suggest using photo reference for your pose. And try to ensure your proportions are correct. Right now, your arms are a bit short, your torso/legs look compact. Perhaps lengthening them?

i also think it's funny we both went for darker hued skinned. posting mine momentarily.

Thanks
    Thanks, but actually the arms and legs weren't meant to stay like that^^
    I'm still not sure how I should put them so I just left it open. Thought she might stand on some kind of slope and uphold her dress with the right hand.

Thanks
    Here's my princess? lol. I can't decide. First draft

Thanks
    I like the pose, it's ... well, something different. But I don't understand what's the dark thing on the right(?)

Uhh - I'll go off for now. Parents and stuff, already 2 AM here.

Thanks
    It's her hair. Night. I'll be here til prolly 1am Central if anyone logs on :o I've got to catch up after catching the flu this week. lol.

Thanks
    Empress? First draft

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast