3. Three of Cups
    4. Four of Cups
    5. Six of Swords
    6. Six of Wands
    7. Seven of Cups
    8. Four of Wands
    9. Ten of Wands
    10. Six of Pentacles

Whilst I think it is very noble of us to have the 'leftovers', it would be nice to have a couple of Major Arcana as well.

However, I've assembled the Rider Waite versions of these into a compilation. Personally I'm a huge fan of the Crowley/Harris Thoth deck, but he visualised none of his versions with characters bar the 'court' and Major Arcana so Rider Waite is more character driven, thankfully. Of course these will be our versions anyway!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So... what would everyone like to do? I'm happy to take any of the above, so if anyone has any particular favs, go ahead and take them.

eta: Here are the meanings, stolen from this site: http://www.paranormality.com/tarot_meanings.shtml

Four of wands: The fruits of one's labour, hard work resulting in the successful completion of a project. This is the card of the professional man: an innovator or renowned designer. The establishment of culture, Refinement, charm, attractiveness and splendour. Depending upon the surrounding cards, there is a possibility of romance.

Six of wands: The arrival of fantastic, good news. Success and great public acclaim gained through hard work and effort. Hopefulness, and satisfaction in what has been achieved. The surmounting of obstacles through tact and diplomacy rather than use of force. Victory and triumph.

Ten of wands: Conduct that is honourable. Great good fortune that is now a burden due to it's demanding nature and demands on time. Diseconomies of scale in business, a successful pastime that can no longer be administered by its creator. Lack of social life due to the demands of a project, job or overtime.

Three of cups: A fortunate end to a valued project or venture. A birth possibly physical, but may mean the birth of a new project instead. Great happiness as the result of a marriage or a birth. Something coming to fruition that was conceived out of love. A card of abundant fertility, trust harmony, maternity and the healing of ills. Possibly a celebration.

Four of cups: Time to re-evaluate an all too familiar environment, dissatisfaction and boredom. The need to search for a more stimulating way of life. Apathy, dwelling on past experience. Love that turns to familiarity. Happiness that has reached its peak. Possibly the establishment of a family.

Seven of cups: A need to reflect upon choices. Sometimes too many choices and opportunities are presented, which need careful consideration if a grave error of judgement is to be avoided. May refer to a variety of choices of people for example marriage and other partners. The inquirer is faced with several choices one of exceptional promise but great perception is needed for this to be seen. This card may also indicate mystical experience of an inspiring kind.

Three of pentacles: Success gained through hard work and effort. A gain in commerce and an increase in material things. This is the card of the businessman, craftsman and merchant. Skillful work is both awarded and appreciated. A good time to start a project, with an indication of help in business.

Six of pentacles: Solvency in material affairs, clearance of debts and use of good fortune to the benefit of others. Repayment of favours. Charity, patronage, sympathy and a kind heart.

Ten of pentacles: Emotional and financial stability. Family fortunes, inheritance and prosperity that has been built up and handed down over the generations. The formation of family tradition. This card may indicated good fortune regarding a dowry.

Six of swords: Gradual change, movement or travel away form difficulty or imminent danger. The solution of current problems. Long journeys and passage from pain. Obstacles that are overcome.

Last edited by bluefooted; January 2nd, 2010 at 06:18 PM.
    blue's sketchbook
    Someone gave me this custom title and I will never, ever change it!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluefooted For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I might as well kick this off with a sketch. Seven of Cups. Just an idea, because it's probably more suited to a court card, but hey ho. I'll include the laurel wreath, treasure, castle and dragon as well. For now the central woman is the shrouded figure, she has the snake round her neck and is holding the head of the girl at the front.

Edit: Or we could do a burlesque Tarot!

Last edited by Aly Fell; January 3rd, 2010 at 07:11 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yay guys, I am so excited.

I did up a small compilation of versions of some of the cards we have... just for inspiration!

Name:  cards.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  453.5 KB

Blue: Awesome, thanks for all the meanings. I've been discussing it with Aly, Guido, and Alice and we are thinking that we can kind of roundtable the whole thing... pass the images around and get pieces of each of us into it. Guido and I are flying tomorrow so we'll be out of touch until tuesday, but sketching in the meantime!

Alas I can't bring my sketchbook on the plane I don't think. Stupid no carry on rule... We'll see though.

However!

Aly, really great start! I love the card so far, though i wonder if there's a way to emphasize the 'too many choices' aspect...? Maybe a few more girl slaves in the background or something Kidding... sort of.

Ahem.

I kind of like the burlesque idea... Or maybe just elements of burlesque?

Did we want to go for an over-all theme?

edit: did a quick sketch for 3 of cups before I leave... Mostly just trying to work out a composition that still references the card it comes from but is still different and more individual character based. Thoughts?

edit2: did a quick one for 4 of cups also though I'm not totally happy with it...

Name:  threeofcups.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  154.5 KB Name:  fourofcups.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  129.9 KB

Last edited by daestwen; January 4th, 2010 at 12:54 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Theme: Well yes, we need to discuss it. What ideas do people have?

Alice, Guido, Blue... to quote Sam Tyler in 'Life on Mars'; "let's get this party started."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoaa!

really nice sketches with hot ladies here

it will be a pleasure to follow your works here!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Theme...

can our theme be 'pretty'? Or is that too vague?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking like burlesque, playboy bunny (ish) is a theme running through which you guys do very well!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love what you guys have so far!

Any theme is fine with me because I can do anything

I don't know if I like the 'pass around' idea, not because I don't think it would be fun but because my drawing time over the next month is going to be limited to little bursts and I'd hate to keep everyone waiting. Also, it would be harder for any of us to use any finished stuff in our portfolios if something turns out particularly rad.

But, maybe we should discuss. I don't have AIM or instant messenger but I do use Google chat. I'll try to check my e-mail there more often (it's bluefootedb [at] gmail.com).

blue's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If no one objects, I'm going to start on 10 of pentacles and 6 of wands

blue's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, go ahead.

So sorry I haven't been in contact I've been ridiculously busy. I think us each doing our own cards is the best bet right now, but maybe just giving eachother paintovers and stuff is the best way to go. :]

Erin, my gmail is the same as my CA username, so go ahead and add me. I've not been around much but I'll try to make sure to make some time!

Sorry I've been such a slacker guys! >_< Let's get on this and rock it into the ground!

I'll do the 3 and 4 of cups if that's okay with everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's fine with me Erin! As I've started 7 of Cups, I'll continue with it. I've also done a couple of sketches, well doodles really, for 6 swords and 3 pentacles, but I'm happy to surrender either of those.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK... worked on the three of pentacles a bit more. Still only the rough. I'm not sure how I should treat the painting process yet... watercoloury, or a heavier approach... Where are you guys going finish wise?

The idea is the dress has symbols of industry and profession, and she is balancing one pentacle which represents work, and the other pleasure. Over her head is the third, spirit, which must guide both. I'm not entirely happy with the pose of the hands yet.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.