Thread: Team Chow III :: TAROT :: Topics and Discussion Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Team Chow III :: TAROT :: Topics and Discussion Thread

TEAM CHOW III :: TAROT
    DESCRIPTION

Hello boys and girls! Once again, we saved something special for team chow. This is a liiittle different then what we usually have going on, so please pay close attention!

This month, Team Chow will be attempting to create it's very own Tarot Deck! For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a deck of cards very similar to the usual 4 suited deck, but with 22 extra cards called the 'major arcana'. The four suits are also different : Swords, Cups, Wands, and Pentacles/Coins. In the following post there will be a list of all the cards.

For those of you who don't know much about it, please allow me to send you to a couple of sites to read up on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarot
    http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/

Though often used as a form of divination, we'll be approaching it from a strictly design perspective. Each card is meant to tell a very particular tale (though this tale often depends on the reader) and has many symbols and meanings attached to it. The goal will be to do each card as a character-based (this is still chow) illustration to illuminate the meaning of the card. However, the specific meaning and the symbols will be up to you. We will, however, be following mostly to the Rider-Waite deck, with the exception that we will be using Princess instead of Page.

If you have any more questions about the above, please feel free to ask.

And here are the Rules ::

1. Your team will choose TWO CARDS per person to illustrate. So, a 2 person team needs 4, a 4 person team 8, etc. This is the minimum requirement, you may choose more.
    2. You may only take major arcana for half your cards, please choose Lesser Arcana (The Suits) for at least half. Bonus points for those who do mostly Lesser Arcana!
    3. You will post your choices in this thread. I will allow 4 teams per card. First come, first serve. If we get all the cards covered by at least four teams each, I will then be open to letting you pick cards that are already full. We want to make sure to get a full deck!
    4. Please make sure that your files can be sized down to 9 cm by 15.5 cm (or 3.543 x 6.1 inches) at 300 dpi. I'm exploring the option of seeing if we can get it printed, so please make sure your work is print-quality, or please write "OPT OUT OF PRINT" when you submit your work so I know you're not interested in having your cards printed as part of your deck.
    5. PLEASE DO NOT START DRAWING UNTIL JANUARY FIRST! Right now is the time to get everyone's cards assigned and start brainstorming, but please don't start drawing as it's unfair for the other teams.
    6. That's it, Have Fun!

Thanks, and Good Luck!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CARD LIST

NOTE! White means that some of the 4 slots have been filled, Red means all of the slots have been filled.

Major Arcana

0 The Fool - Bight Young Mutations, Chönyid bardo, Vampire Churritos, Hot Magic, Tomato Tea, IFATNHTWBEEM, Ships in the Night, Team Liefeld (+ extra :: Doomsday Dream Clan)
    I The Magician - VLK, Milk of Amnesia, solid work, Nameless Operatives, team faliorn, Atomic Superman Society, Jparrilla/arttorney/Ilaekae, Disposable Testtubes, Wooginowsky
    II The High Priestess - PIRATE SHIP LOLLIPOP!, Vampire Churritos, Grimey Pipes, Doomsday Dream Clan, Howling Loveboys, White Rabbit, Disposable Testtubes, effin' skags!
    III The Empress - Nameless Operatives, Team Dust Bunnies, Team Utopian Battleship, the howling loveboys, Oh Bother, Super High-Five Squad, Pencil Guru, Knight of Cups
    IV The Emperor - Exquisite Corpse, Pure Explodium, IFATNHTWBEEM, COSMIC HUSSARS
    V The Hierophant - VLK, AWESOME SEXY PEOPLES CLUB, howling loveboys, COSMIC HUSSARS, team exquisite corpse
    VI The Lovers - PIRATE SHIP LOLLIPOP!, Team T & A, Atomic Superman Society, Baguette Brothers (+ extra :: Team Dust Bunnies)
    VII The Chariot - Team Menagerie, THE AWESOME SEXY PEOPLES CLUB, Ace Holes, Howling Loveboys
    VIII Strength - Pokemongrels, Chaotic sketchers, Brothers Baguette, Level 42 Night Goblin Rangers, Super High-Five Squad, Pencil Guru, IFATNHTWBEEM, COSMIC HUSSARS, Team Hot Magic, LOS CINGS
    IX The Hermit - Super hero laundromat, Milk of Amnesia, Team Menagerie, Atomic Superman Society, AWESOME SEXY PEOPLE CLUB, Tomato Tea, Disposable Testtubes, Wooginowski
    X Wheel of Fortune - Vampire Churritos, Pure Explodium, Legion of Lions, Thundercats, IFATNHTWBEEM
    XI Justice - Paranoid Pants on Fire, Team Liefeld, howling loveboys, COSMIC HUSSARS
    XII The Hanged Man - Thundercats, Bizarroid Collabotron, AWESOME SEXY PEOPLES CLUB, messzi scruffz, Tomato Tea
    XIII Death - Thundercats, Exquisite Corpse, Pokemongrels, Ace Holes, Dire Pork, Howling Loveboys, IFATNHTWBEEM, Ships in the Night, effin' skags!, Wooginowski,
    XIV Temperance - Chönyid bardo, Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Pirate Cats, team faliorn, White Rabbit, Wooginowski, AsianGuyswithGlasses
    XV The Devil - Super hero laundromat, Team Dust Bunnies, Solid Work, Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Dire Pork, BlitzKrieg Curly Friez (+ extra :: Cool Beans of DOOM)
    XVI The Tower - Milk of Amnesia, Adventure!, Ace Holes, Cool Beans of DOOM, Tomato Tea, Ships in the Night, The Art Vandelays' (+ extra :: Team Dust Bunnies)
    XVII The Star - Thundercats, Oh Bother, Pirate Cats, White Rabbit, BlitzKrieg Curly Friez, Messzi Scruffz, Random group 4
    XVIII The Moon - Messzi Scruffz, Team Menagerie, Vampire Churritos, Grimey Pipes, arttorney/JParilla/Ilaekae, Blitzkrieg Curly Fries, LOS CINGS, The Art Vandelays', Team Liefeld, Random group 4
    XIX The Sun - Messzi Scruffz, Pure Explodium, Burn Eden, Level 42 Night Goblin Rangers (+ extra :: the howling loveboys)
    XX Judgment - Ace Holes, Adventure!, Legion of Lions, Cool Beans of DOOM, Milk of Amnesia, Blitzkrieg curly fries, AsianGuyswithGlasses
    XXI The World - Hot Magic, Utopian Battleship, Burn Eden, Chaotic Sketchers, Team Ratava

Lesser Arcana
    Wands
    Ace of Wands - Ace Holes, arttorney/JParilla, LOS CINGS, Dire Pork
    Two of Wands - Grimey Pipes, Doomsday Dream Clan, Disposable Testtubes
    Three of Wands - Pure Explodium, Disposable Testtubes
    Four of Wands - Doomsday Dream Clan, FOR SCIENCE!
    Five of Wands - Adventure!, Atomic Superman Society
    Six of Wands - Super hero laundromat, FOR SCIENCE!
    Seven of Wands - Milk of Amnesia, Vampire Churritos, Chaotic Sketchers (+ extra :: PIRATE SHIP LOLLIPOP)
    Eight of Wands - Bizarroid Collabotron, Chaotic Sketchers, Howling Loveboys
    Nine of Wands - Level 42 Night Goblin Rangers, Dire Pork (+ extra :: Grimey Pipes)
    Ten of Wands - Legion of Lions, FOR SCIENCE!, Ships in the Night, Tomato Tea
    Princess of Wands - Nameless Operatives, Team Liefeld, Pokemongrels, Super High-Five Squad (+ extra :: Team Dust Bunnies)
    Knight of Wands - Thundercats, Nameless Operatives, the howling loveboys, Tomato Tea
    Queen of Wands - Hot Magic, VLK, Super High-Five Squad, White Rabbit
    King of Wands - Milk of Amnesia, Team Bizarroid Collabotron, Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Blitzkrieg Curly Fries

Swords
    Ace of Swords - Ace Holes, Team Dust Bunnies, Cool Beans of DOOM, IFATNHTWBEEM
    Two of Swords - Exquisite Corpse, solid work, Oh Bother, Howling Loveboys
    Three of Swords -Team Utopian Battleship, Pirate Cats, Team Ratava, Messzi Scruffz
    Four of Swords - Super hero laundromat, Bizzaroid Collabotron, Jparrilla/arttorney/Ilaekae, effin' skags!
    Five of Swords - Legion of Lions, Team T & A, Team Utopian Battleship, effin' skags!
    Six of Swords - Team Menagerie, FOR SCIENCE!, Blitzkrieg curly fries, Wooginowski
    Seven of Swords - Chaotic sketchers, Team Liefeld, AWESOME SEXY PEOPLES CLUB, Burn Eden
    Eight of Swords - Team Menagerie, Pirate Cats
    Nine of Swords - Paranoid Pants on Fire, Pure Explodium, Vampire Churritos, messzi scruffz
    Ten of Swords - Team Dust Bunnies, howling loveboys, Thundercats, Pirate Cats
    Princess of Swords - Chönyid bardo, Nameless Operatives, AWESOME SEXY PEOPLE CLUB, Pencil Guru
    Knight of Swords - Bight Young Mutations, VLK, Cool Beans of DOOM, Brothers Bagutte
    Queen of Swords - Messzi Scruffz, Thundercats, Team Menagerie, Pencil Guru
    King of Swords - Messzi Scruffz, Level 42 Night Goblin Rangers, Oh Bother, Pencil Guru (+ extra :: Cool Beans of DOOM, the howling loveboys)

Cups
    Ace of Cups - Ace Holes, IFATNHTWBEEM, Doomsday Dream Clan, BlitzKrieg Curly Friez
    Two of Cups - Grimey Pipes, Nameless Operatives,Team Utopian Battleship, Burn Eden
    Three of Cups -Thundercats, FOR SCIENCE!, LOS CINGS, Random group 4
    Four of Cups - Utopian battleship, FOR SCIENCE!
    Five of Cups - Utopian Battleship, Team Bizarroid Collabotron, Atomic Superman Society, Dire Pork
    Six of Cups - AWESOME SEXY PEOPLES CLUB, team faliorn
    Seven of Cups - Pure Explodium, FOR SCIENCE!, Wooginowski
    Eight of Cups - Vampire Churritos, Team Ratava
    Nine of Cups - Super hero laundromat, Atomic Superman Society
    Ten of Cups - White Rabbit, arttorney/JParilla, Team Hot Magic
    Princess of Cups - PIRATE SHIP LOLLIPOP!, solid work, Ships in the Night
    Knight of Cups - Pure Explodium, Pencil Guru, Dire Pork, The Art Vandelays' (+ extra :: Team Dust Bunnies)
    Queen of Cups - Milk of Amnesia, Team T&A, Whisky Tango Foxtrot, effin' skags!
    King of Cups - Chönyid bardo, THE AWESOME SEXY PEOPLES CLUB, Tomato Tea, Disposable Testtubes

Pentacles
    Ace of Pentacles - Ace Holes, Chönyid bardo, Baguette Brothers, BlitzKrieg Curly Friez
    Two of Pentacles - Utopian battleship, COSMIC HUSSARS, Random group 4
    Three of Pentacles - FOR SCIENCE!, Super High-Five Squad
    Four of Pentacles - COSMIC HUSSARS, Team Liefeld (+ extra :: Grimey Pipes)
    Five of Pentacles - Chaotic Sketchers, Level 42 Night Goblin Rangers, Pirate Cats, baguette brothers
    Six of Pentacles - PIRATE SHIP LOLLIPOP!, FOR SCIENCE!
    Seven of Pentacles - Super High-Five Squad, White Rabbit, Vampire Churritos
    Eight of Pentacles - Level 42 Night Goblin Rangers
    Nine of Pentacles - Team T&A, Bizarroid Collabotron
    Ten of Pentacles - FOR SCIENCE!, arttorney/JParilla/Ilaekae, Ships in the Night, baguette brothers
    Princess of Pentacles - Exquisite Corpse, COSMIC HUSSARS, Tomato Tea, arttorney/JParilla/Ilaekae
    Knight of Pentacles - Super hero laundromat, Howling Loveboys, COSMIC HUSSARS, Pokemongrels (+ extra :: Cool Beans of DOOM)
    Queen of Pentacles - Pure Explodium, IFATNHTWBEEM, Doomsday Dream Clan, Milk of Amnesia (+ extra :: Cool Beans of DOOM)
    King of Pentacles - Adventure!, IFATNHTWBEEM, team faliorn, Doomsday Dream Clan

Last edited by daestwen; January 6th, 2010 at 01:29 PM.

4. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hah. one of the first here, and I think I speak on behalf of my team when I say thank you for the great topic, the oppurtunity and the time you are going to spend on this. I am already looking forward to our and the other team's cards.

Cheers

Go PIRATE SHIP LOLLIPOP!

PS: I would also like to enscribe our team for the High Priestess and The Lovers.

Edit: I have a question regarding the Card "The lovers" Which depicts two characters actually. How are we supposed to go about that? Does it count as two characters? Or one? If it counts as one, are both lovers supposed to be depicted?

Last edited by Janos; December 26th, 2009 at 11:31 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd like to take the sun and the moon, and I'm waiting for the rest of my team to pick their cards.
    I think king and queen of swords can also come to our team, I don't know about the 4 remaining cards as we have a 4 people team.
    Our team name is Messzi Scruffz

Last edited by hungryan; December 26th, 2009 at 11:39 AM. Reason: hungarian keyboard

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehehe, I was playing with the lesser arcana through all my university years

Great topic!!

I think I'll take death and the princess of pentacles/coins (traditional figure in Spanish card games )

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Janos View Post
    Edit: I have a question regarding the Card "The lovers" Which depicts two characters actually. How are we supposed to go about that? Does it count as two characters? Or one? If it counts as one, are both lovers supposed to be depicted?
    Each card is 1 card. We're doing it by cards, not by characters, so no, it doesn't count for two.

And yes, The Lovers probably needs two characters depicted, unless you can think of a way to illustrate 'the lovers' with only one character on the card...

Quike Garcia: Please sign up by your team (aka, supply your team name!) so I don't have to go look you up in the list.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ill take 0 The Fool - and Knight of Sword's ..
    Ill be waiting for my team to choose there's for now were a four person team...my teams name is Super Hero Laundromat.

Last edited by Dibujio::Guru; December 29th, 2009 at 09:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Please keep in mind that only half a team's cards can be Major Arcana.

This means that if you claim two major arcana cards for yourself, one of your team mates won't get one. Keep that in mind when claiming cards, please!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thundercats Checking in... We want to claim:

1. Death
    2. The Hanged Man
    3. The Star
    4. The Queen of Swords
    5. The Knight of Wands

(still working on the rest... )

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JessiBean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    XVI - the Tower and King of the Wands for Milk of Amnesia. When the rest of the team logs on they'll pick the rest

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by daestwen View Post
    Please keep in mind that only half a team's cards can be Major Arcana.

This means that if you claim two major arcana cards for yourself, one of your team mates won't get one. Keep that in mind when claiming cards, please!
    Damn sorry off in lala land ill take a lesser A

Knight of Sword's

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry, my most humble apology, it's Team Exquisite Corpse

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, it's all updated. Thanks guys!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    May I have the Devil and the Knight of Pentacles please, for Team Bright Young Mutations.

CRITIQUE AS YOU WOULD BE CRITIQUED
    http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59
    THE ABOVE LINK IS ALL YOU NEED

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=200044 <- Sketchbook - filled with unhappy things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Pokemongrels will take Death and Strength as our major arcana!!

EDIT

We will take the Princess of Wands and the Knight of Pentacles!

Last edited by Evui; December 26th, 2009 at 01:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, cool, cool!

Something every team might find useful!

I will get back to you with what the Legion of Lions are taking

EDIT

I'm picking the Ten of Wands and the Five of Swords cards. I'm not sure what my fellow lion wants yet.

Last edited by LostFayth; December 26th, 2009 at 02:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So far, this half of Curly and my team would like

The Empress
    Princess of Swords

Not sure what curly wants yet ^-^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Give me The Hermit and the four of swords for team bright young mutations

Last edited by Undeadartist; December 26th, 2009 at 03:21 PM.

Jovian M is offline HOW MANY PUSH-UPS CAN YOU DO? Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two each?

I'd like IV The Emperor and Two of Swords, under Exquisite Corpse.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm calling shot gun on Ace of Swords and Judgment on my behalf for team Ace Holes (turns out our team logo was quite approrpiate then hehe). And I'ld also like to reserve Death for the team (can I do that or does the actual person have to chime in ?).

I have NO clue about all this tarot stuff, but I've been wanting to illustrate some cards for a while so this should be cool

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wanted to ask, if and how the card design is important/obligatory in this chow. I guess The cards need to be layoutet etc as well?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephelea View Post
    So far, this half of Curly and my team would like

The Empress
    Princess of Swords

Not sure what curly wants yet ^-^
    I need your team name! Even if it's like Team NoName1231.

Rambozo: You can reserve all the cards for your team, if you want. I didn't really mean each person should choose two, just that each team should have two cards per person, for a total for the whole team. You don't need to individually choose cards, though that's fine too. :]

Janos:You'll want the illustration and the name of the card, properly. Just do it how you would want it to look if it was printed! Designing a card back would probably be fun too, but isn't required.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here to call dibs on The Hermit and Seven of Wands for team Milk of Amnesia.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LancerMoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wanted to ask, if and how the card design is important/obligatory in this chow. I guess The cards need to be layoutet etc as well?

Edit: Sorry, double post.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hot Magic will take The World and Queen of Wands! We need 4 more, will update later.

Oh, and I second Janos' question. Are we allowed to be creative with the text on the card, or do we have an overarching design for that aspect of it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by daestwen View Post
    I need your team name! Even if it's like Team NoName1231.

Rambozo: You can reserve all the cards for your team, if you want. I didn't really mean each person should choose two, just that each team should have two cards per person, for a total for the whole team. You don't need to individually choose cards, though that's fine too. :]

Janos:You'll want the illustration and the name of the card, properly. Just do it how you would want it to look if it was printed! Designing a card back would probably be fun too, but isn't required.
    Sorry >_< Uhm..uhm.. Nameless Operatives I guess for now >_>..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Janos, and Liffey I already answered that question.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, I would like to request under the name of "Team Menagerie" the Moon and the Eight of Swords.

Also, is it possible to revoke your requests later for other open cards? I just want to make sure, because I won't be able to talk to my team for a few hours, and I'd like to secure those cards just in case, but if we decide to go with other cards I'd like to be able to change.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there,

Very cool topic. Team AceHoles, I'd like to go reserve the Ace of Cups, Ace of Wands, and Ace of Pentacles please.

Last edited by t i m; December 26th, 2009 at 06:10 PM.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2