Thanks

my paintings, mostly oils now

Hello everyone. I would like to show two acrylic paintings I did recently. The first one is of a magnolia tree (hopefully at least the tree part is obvious) and the second one is based on a saltshaker. Please tell me what you think. I am a new painter, though I have been drawing for about a year and a half. Both paintings are done on 9x12 stretched canvas.

Have a nice day.
    Last edited by Marcus Scipio; June 1st, 2010 at 11:47 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,549 Times in 2,760 Posts
    I think both have good brushwork, but the tree is too green, the foliage too sphere shaped and the trunk to symmetrical. I bet there is more character in the trunk and outside shape than how you've portrayed it. You will want to pay closer attention to the edges and contour of the shapes in the future. Remember the edge carries the information.

Thanks
    Thank you for your comments. I think you are right. I am attaching the original sketch. It is in lithography crayon. As you can see, the trunk is not that large, but I could have added some character. Actually, it was my first time painting a tree. I will keep the idea of character in mind in the future.

Thank you for your comments.

Thanks
    This is a painting I did yesterday. It is based off a sketch that can be found in my sketchbook. I had a good time trying to portray the snow in a colorful manner. C&C welcomed.

Have a nice day.

Thanks
    Yesterday, I used acrylics in a watercolor manner for the first time (got some watercolor paper for Christmas). This is a view near my home on an overcast day. I used Ultramarine Blue, Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna, Cadmium Yellow Light, Titanium White, Phthalo Green, and lots of water. 9x12 in acrylic on Strathmore coldpressed 140 pound watercolor paper.

Tell me what you think, it's my first time painting in this manner.

Also, I purchased an intro/sampler set of Golden's Open Acrylics. I am testing them in a variety of ways, and so far I am impressed. I will post some of the tests I have created tomorrow.

Merry Christmas.

Thanks
    Here is my first test with Golden Open Acrylics. I am not sure if I am more impressed with the long open time, or just the vibrant, beautiful colors. This study is done on watercolor paper using Phthalo Blue, Phthalo Green, Hansa Yellow Opaque, Quinacridone Magenta, Pyrrole Red, and Titanium White. The actual size is 11x15 in.

Be warned, Open Acrylics do not remain open that long on any sort of paper, as the paper absorbs the paint. On board, they have a longer open time. On canvas panels, they have the longest open time of all my tests so far. I did a painting with them on a panel, and I will post that later; they are still drying.

This is not intended as a finished work of art, but rather a test.

Have a nice day.

Thanks
    I think you need to do a little bit of research on color theory, and try harder not to use 'local', conceptualized colors. A tree does not necessarily = green, nor MUST the sky be blue. A great way to do this, short of reading long, academic books or taking a class is painting a copy of a masterwork. Select a classic painter that you love, and try to duplicate what he's done, with special attention paid to his color choices and values. Good luck!
    “The moment you think you understand a great work of art, it's dead for you.”~Oscar Wilde
    My Inglorious Portfolio!

Thanks
    Quickreaver, thanks for commenting. However, I'm not sure I really understand what you mean. Are you saying that my colors are too symbol-related i.e. we associate green with trees symbolically and blue with the sky in the same way. Those colors in my magnolia painting (I assume you are talking about that one) are fairly accurate with regard to the actual spot. I don't paint landscapes from life as much as I ought, though.

The master copy idea is a good one I will do one of those and post it here.

Thanks.

Thanks
    I did this sketch yesterday.It is a tree in my backyard.I used a wood-less 2B pencil.I went a little too detailed on the branches,maybe,but that's okay.I will probably do an acrylic painting based on this sketch.Wish me luck.

Thanks
    @joshstill: Did you intentionally or accidentally quote one of my posts? Does this comment have some hidden meaning?

Thanks for looking, and if it's a mistake, it's totally cool with me.

Thanks
    An update: I have done several paintings in the new year, I just haven't had a chance to post them. I will be scanning those soon.

Thanks
    This is my second most recent painting, done at sunset. It is a speedpaint of sorts, using acrylics. I live by a beautiful lake, and I can see it from the window of my studio. It is constantly inspiring, particularly at sunrise and sunset.

I am fairly happy with how this turned out, particularly the trees. I have been trying to capture their essence for a while now, and this impressionistic approach is the best I have done so far. I really feel the only weakness is in the foreground, which I might have given too much space anyway. That's alright, though.

C&C welcomed.

Thanks
    This is my latest painting. I used Golden Open Acrylics on canvas panel. Colors are Phthalo Blue, Pyrrole Red, Hansa Yellow Opaque, and Titanium white. Some thickening medium was used for the background.

Painting the caustics was the hardest part. I am mostly satisfied with how this turned out.

Tell me what you think.

Thanks
    I am going to begin working on a master copy of John Constable's Weymouth Bay, with Jordan Hill. I am doing this because I have never done a detailed master copy before, and also to try out my new Windsor and Newton Water Mixable Oils. I will be using Lemon Yellow, Phthalo Blue, Alizarin Crimson, and Titanium White. I will post a series of WIP images, as I hope to work on this study a little each day.

Wish me luck.

Thanks
    Just as I said, here is the preliminary value underpainting. I used some cheap acrylics for this, as this part will be covered eventually. Colors are Burnt Umber and Titanium White.

Please tell me how you think it is going at this stage. I am waiting for the underpainting to dry, which won't take long. I can then begin blocking in the color using oils.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Also, as it wouldn't fit in the other post, here is a shot of both my copy and the original image.

Thanks
    I am reading "Alla Prima: Everything I Know About Painting" by Richard Schmid. It has to be the best book on painting I have read so far. I'm about halfway through it. The info on edges and values, as well as the ways to begin a painting, have all been helpful. Highly recommended.

See you later.