Advice needed from Concept artist and Charater artist

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Advice needed from Concept artist and Charater artist

Hi

I currently made my website and all my work are posted in there...I really need some artists who work in the game industry to look at it and give me some advice of what to improve or what not to do etc...I am planning to become a concept artist or Character artist...I am still a student, my course is graphic design_arts and design, note: we do not learn 3d, I'm a self taught 3d artist lol, no formal education in 3d, but Illustration_Lifedrawing_Graphic design are yes...Please visit my website at www.olialtunadesign.com

Advice would greatly appreciated
    Thank you

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,900 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm...went to your website but there was only the home page? And the contact link - but no portfolio?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,930 Times in 2,383 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I would say you definitely need some Fantasy and science fiction characters and concepts. Maybe some horror if you like that kind of thing. Right now everything is pretty normal, even the space stuff is not really futuristic at all.
    Design and render some vehicles and weapons and some interior environments. Make up some characters in costumes for both fantasy and science fiction. I'd work to get your anatomy and figure drawing better so things are more believable.
    You need a good sized portfolio to show you are consistant, if you do vehicles and characters make sure you show them in orthographic views.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry for inconvenience of my website, maybe i was uploading some images...but i think its working now....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    I would say you definitely need some Fantasy and science fiction characters and concepts. Maybe some horror if you like that kind of thing. Right now everything is pretty normal, even the space stuff is not really futuristic at all.
    Design and render some vehicles and weapons and some interior environments. Make up some characters in costumes for both fantasy and science fiction. I'd work to get your anatomy and figure drawing better so things are more believable.
    You need a good sized portfolio to show you are consistant, if you do vehicles and characters make sure you show them in orthographic views.
    very nice. I'll try to do more concept and ill upload it here and into my website...thank u

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Hmmm...went to your website but there was only the home page? And the contact link - but no portfolio?
    sorry for inconvenience of my website, maybe i was uploading some images...but i think its working now....Please check it back

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah - yeah - the menu wasn't there earlier. My feedback would be to develop different portfolio sites for your design, illustration and concept art. Those are all three very different markets and potential customers/clients. I know you are still a student, so your portfolio naturally has a lot of class/assignemt work - that stands out very clearly to potential ADs when they are reviewing your work so keep that to a minimum.

Good to see that you are studying figure from life but you are still at a fairly rudimentary/beginning level - work as hard as you can on understanding the figure, form, light, gesture, etc. Then begin to translate that knowledge into more imaginary and fantastic characters as dpaint suggests.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [img=http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/2051/finalrunawayegg.th.jpg]

This is what i came up with...fantasy/fiction its called run away egg lol

Last edited by oli_; December 24th, 2009 at 04:59 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Ah - yeah - the menu wasn't there earlier. My feedback would be to develop different portfolio sites for your design, illustration and concept art. Those are all three very different markets and potential customers/clients. I know you are still a student, so your portfolio naturally has a lot of class/assignemt work - that stands out very clearly to potential ADs when they are reviewing your work so keep that to a minimum.

Good to see that you are studying figure from life but you are still at a fairly rudimentary/beginning level - work as hard as you can on understanding the figure, form, light, gesture, etc. Then begin to translate that knowledge into more imaginary and fantastic characters as dpaint suggests.

Good luck!
    You are right but how do i separate my graphic designs without making a new website? any idea? please help

tnx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would recommend setting up separate websites for Design, Illustration and Concept stuff - or at least sub-domains that appear fairly separate. It seems like Design is your strong suit at this stage so I might forcus on that if you want work - otherwise you could leave that behind entirely and really focus on concept stuff. My honest advice is to work on your 3D stuff and try to land an entry level job in game production - then you can take advantage of what opportunities may arise to contribute concept stuff - if you keep working on it eventually you should transition into doing more concept and less production. That seems to be a fairly common path at least - some people of course can just hit the ground running as concept artists - but they tend to be the exception.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you i will work harder and come back here again and post more of my work. all the digital painting was all recently done this month, im on xmas break so i try to work double time lol

thanks again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some of this may be a little harsh but its honest and giving an employer a bad impression is not what you want. First off remove anything that looks like student work or student assignments, I would probably remove the entire Illustration section. Your concept art section isn't as strong as the others either and most of it feels more like illustration then concept work. Your design and 3D work is much much stronger. Change your Home image to one of those, whatever is your best piece. Only show your very best work. Keep 6-12 in each section, you don't need more then that.

For future reference photograph your work so it isn't stamped with a date, and isn't blurry, that looks unprofessional. As for functionality the Home button doesn't work going from the videos page.

My favorites are the ferarri, the asian interior and the motorcycle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ye you have a point there, ill get rid off some of them lol
    btw i re design my website. please feel free to visit it again

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.