Art: Ravi's traditional sculpting sketchbook :)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ravi's traditional sculpting sketchbook :)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink Ravi's traditional sculpting sketchbook :)

[CENTER]hi friends .....i'm a newbie in clay sculpting....though i enjoy it a lot i did a head sculpture of king "Leonidas" in the movie 300 .....also did a little presentation video too ....... i'm currently using normal pottery clay.....chek it out and give ur comments and critics...need ur help a lot in future .....thank u so much

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by agrmrs; July 5th, 2013 at 09:30 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol epic work man, great video too. Keep it up.

~Corpsehand~

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsehand For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Corpsehand View Post
    lol epic work man, great video too. Keep it up.

~Corpsehand~
    thank you so much mate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi friends i came up with another head sculpture .......this one was done as a tribute to "Heath Ledger" for his awesome acting role in "THE DARK KNIGHT" as the "Joker" comments and critics are very welcome thanx

Last edited by agrmrs; July 5th, 2013 at 09:33 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    progress shot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi friends i want to jump in to polymer clay too ....... can some one guide me on below topics [ i'm not going to color the model i just wanted to build a concept ]

* good polymer clay brand to buy online
    * the most wanted tools to play with polymer clay that i should buy
    *amount that is roughly needed for a life size head sculpture

plezz put the links where u bought them too.......thanx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work! Especially considering...
    i'm a newbie in clay sculpting
    Have you used any other sculpting medium before clay?

* good polymer clay brand to buy online
    plezz put the links where u bought them too.......thanx
    This is the problem with the internet: it mostly depends where in the world you are. Not much good giving you a link to a German shop if you live in America, or vice versa. Brands tend to be cheaper in and around their country of origin, too. E.g. super sculpey in North America, FIMO in Europe.

...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Vermis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermis View Post
    Good work! Especially considering...

Have you used any other sculpting medium before clay?

This is the problem with the internet: it mostly depends where in the world you are. Not much good giving you a link to a German shop if you live in America, or vice versa. Brands tend to be cheaper in and around their country of origin, too. E.g. super sculpey in North America, FIMO in Europe.
    thank u so much mate for ur encouraging comment ..... i live in Sri Lanka [near by India ].........i'm hoping to get water based clay instead of polymer ......i'm following phillippe farout tutorials ....he uses water based clay...those are very good too

i'm seeking for Standard 105NT clay type......there are some places to buy them ..... according to u ...some supplier around asia would be cool i think

thanx for the support again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by agrmrs View Post
    i live in Sri Lanka
    ... I went out of my depth very quickly. The best I can offer you now is a look at google.

...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Vermis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermis View Post
    ... I went out of my depth very quickly. The best I can offer you now is a look at google.
    it's ok mate me gonna order this clay

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi firends here's a pic of my tools so far ...... hand made and some day today tools have to upgrade it soon

Last edited by agrmrs; July 5th, 2013 at 09:32 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by agrmrs View Post
    it's ok mate me gonna order this clay
    If you have access to a kiln, that stuff is great.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to adm1976 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by adm1976 View Post
    If you have access to a kiln, that stuff is great.
    hi ...dude is that a clay type ? thanx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    increible sculpture¡Your Leonidas is great and the video is fantastic,tanks.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Aizkur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aizkur View Post
    increible sculpture¡Your Leonidas is great and the video is fantastic,tanks.
    thank u soo much mate ...... really motivate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! - Nice head sculptures! I wanna see more!
    adm1976 was referring to a kiln to fire the type of clay that you want to buy.
    I live in South Africa and I just managed to get my hands on Super Sculpey. I managed to find a good local supplier, but I also had a look on Ebay and found one seller that ships the Super Sculpey Firm internationally.
    see here
    - Of course I can't vouch for them, but I have made many other successful international purchases on ebay.

My Sketchbook
    My Sculpting thread
    Blog: www.jumpsuitblog.blogspot.com"
    "Yor's world! Yor's world! He's the man!"

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Deon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Deon View Post
    Hey! - Nice head sculptures! I wanna see more!
    adm1976 was referring to a kiln to fire the type of clay that you want to buy.
    I live in South Africa and I just managed to get my hands on Super Sculpey. I managed to find a good local supplier, but I also had a look on Ebay and found one seller that ships the Super Sculpey Firm internationally.
    see here
    - Of course I can't vouch for them, but I have made many other successful international purchases on ebay.
    wow thank u soo much mate .... was seeking for that kinda link ...and specially thanx for the explanation

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi friends......yesterday i received my ribbon tool set .... decided to put a picture of it thanx for all helping me to buy those things online

Last edited by agrmrs; July 5th, 2013 at 09:31 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i also went to the carpenter and get made a reasonable stand to make head sculptures ... today i polished it not to make it looks nice just to make the wood durable i'm gathering all the resources these days ...after that i can begin sculpting below u can see the stand the length of the vertical pole is only 20 inches .... give ur suggestions and ideas !

Last edited by agrmrs; July 5th, 2013 at 09:28 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi friends......i'm trying to understand the form of the mouth these days ....just made a one in clay and casted it in plaster of paris ( my first casting work ) .....give ur critics and comments plezz ....... thanx

Last edited by agrmrs; July 5th, 2013 at 09:32 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i believe u do great i am like u, i had no money to buy my sculpting tools basically i use hexa but i have to sculpting any way best of luck

28. The Following User Says Thank You to aadi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    agrmrs, you have a good start here, and I'll recommend some tools and materials for you (and anyone else really). Most are relatively cheap considering the use you would get out of them, years or decades even.

I would suggest you try wax, ranging from mid range to high hardness, and to sculpt it you would need a waxpen, which range from $100 USD to $300 depending on model and type. But are extremely durable and more than pay for themselves.

www.sculpt.com has a extensive catalog you should look at, including:

http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/Wax/Micro.htm
    http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/ste...otWaxTools.htm

You can also invest in supplementary materials like paraffin, and mix cheaper waxes with expensive ones to get something that you feel comfortable with, or just use standard.

I suggest wax over clay because while costly at first, pottery clay can end up being wasted frequently, you need a larger studio space to work with and must wait to use it again after it dries through resaturation. With wax, you can sculpt, then melt, then sculpt again, and can even make a rough cast to sculpt on top of.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Reymus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by aadi View Post
    i believe u do great i am like u, i had no money to buy my sculpting tools basically i use hexa but i have to sculpting any way best of luck
    thank u soo much aadi ..... honnestly i'm still using the former sculpting tools with a few of new sculpting tools ...... actually some one advised me to visit a dentist and ask for some tools which r useful for fine details ..... these tools i bought from ebay and quite cheap.....almost 10$ per a tool set
    Quote Originally Posted by Reymus View Post
    agrmrs, you have a good start here, and I'll recommend some tools and materials for you (and anyone else really). Most are relatively cheap considering the use you would get out of them, years or decades even.

I would suggest you try wax, ranging from mid range to high hardness, and to sculpt it you would need a waxpen, which range from $100 USD to $300 depending on model and type. But are extremely durable and more than pay for themselves.

www.sculpt.com has a extensive catalog you should look at, including:

http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/Wax/Micro.htm
    http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/ste...otWaxTools.htm

You can also invest in supplementary materials like paraffin, and mix cheaper waxes with expensive ones to get something that you feel comfortable with, or just use standard.

I suggest wax over clay because while costly at first, pottery clay can end up being wasted frequently, you need a larger studio space to work with and must wait to use it again after it dries through resaturation. With wax, you can sculpt, then melt, then sculpt again, and can even make a rough cast to sculpt on top of.
    thank u very much mate very informative .....
    With wax, you can sculpt, then melt, then sculpt again
    this is what i've been looking for ....thanx for ur links specially

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agrmrs. The most superb wax available is a petroleum one called LMP. It is a microcrystaline petroleum wax and available from Shell. Comes in large 5 kg blocks which can be chilled and then smashed with a hammer for ease of handling. You will also need a dye of some sort to colour the wax after you have melted it down so you can see the surface when working the wax. Find out if you can get the wax and if so PM me or I shall watch this thread. If you can get it I can then talk you through the best ways of using it. I have a little experience in such having made and cast over three tonnes of art bronzes in the past 23 years ;-)

BTW Household knives and spoons also make good tools for sculpting.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Waipunga For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow this stuff is awesome! i haven't had the chance to see much sculpture work before but i will definitely be checking out more now that i have. very nice mate, keep it up i look forward to seeing more of this type of stuff.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to PermaN00b For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Waipunga View Post
    Agrmrs. The most superb wax available is a petroleum one called LMP. It is a microcrystaline petroleum wax and available from Shell. Comes in large 5 kg blocks which can be chilled and then smashed with a hammer for ease of handling. You will also need a dye of some sort to colour the wax after you have melted it down so you can see the surface when working the wax. Find out if you can get the wax and if so PM me or I shall watch this thread. If you can get it I can then talk you through the best ways of using it. I have a little experience in such having made and cast over three tonnes of art bronzes in the past 23 years ;-)

BTW Household knives and spoons also make good tools for sculpting.
    thank u soo much for the information mate ..... gonna check it for sure .... so many artist prefer wax for these kinda studies there should be a secret there thanx

Quote Originally Posted by PermaN00b View Post
    wow this stuff is awesome! i haven't had the chance to see much sculpture work before but i will definitely be checking out more now that i have. very nice mate, keep it up i look forward to seeing more of this type of stuff.
    thank u very much mate ....really appreciate ur comments and critics

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are very welcome Mate. Secret to Wax? It is so stunningly versatile! Seriously, it can be worked at room temperature, frozen, in a plastic state, molten etc etc. You can even have a little piece of it it your pocket and play with it any time you want. Now that always generates comments........... :-) And the fineness of the sculpt is limited only by you.

So here is what I do: Do a fast clay (or even do a really detailed clay), then cover it in plaster of paris to a thickness of about 6mm. Let the plaster harden and then immerse the whole thing in water. Let the clay soften to fluid, pour out and then thoroughly wash the inside of the plaster to remove all of the clay. Then heat up your wax and pour into your plaster (make sure the plaster is damp/slightly wet, VERY important otherwise the wax will soak into the plaster) at about 60-65 degrees. Half fill the inside the now mould and quickly roll the mould around to ensure that the wax fills all of the undercuts etc. Then fill to the top and wait until a skin forms across the surface as the wax cools down. Then pour out the excess. (you now have a hollow piece) Then allow the whole thing to cool completely or if you are impatient like me gently immerse the whole thing in cold water. OK at this stage if there are no undercuts in your master the wax will have shrunk sufficiently for you to be able to lift the wax out allowing you to use the mould again. If there are undercuts take a hammer and slowly break away the plaster outer. Then set too and finish off the wax before taking a rubber mould of it for multi castings in metal or resin or just treating it as a one-off piece by spruing it up and making a ceramic mould etc. Have fun! S

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Waipunga For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Waipunga View Post
    You are very welcome Mate. Secret to Wax? It is so stunningly versatile! Seriously, it can be worked at room temperature, frozen, in a plastic state, molten etc etc. You can even have a little piece of it it your pocket and play with it any time you want. Now that always generates comments........... :-) And the fineness of the sculpt is limited only by you.

So here is what I do: Do a fast clay (or even do a really detailed clay), then cover it in plaster of paris to a thickness of about 6mm. Let the plaster harden and then immerse the whole thing in water. Let the clay soften to fluid, pour out and then thoroughly wash the inside of the plaster to remove all of the clay. Then heat up your wax and pour into your plaster (make sure the plaster is damp/slightly wet, VERY important otherwise the wax will soak into the plaster) at about 60-65 degrees. Half fill the inside the now mould and quickly roll the mould around to ensure that the wax fills all of the undercuts etc. Then fill to the top and wait until a skin forms across the surface as the wax cools down. Then pour out the excess. (you now have a hollow piece) Then allow the whole thing to cool completely or if you are impatient like me gently immerse the whole thing in cold water. OK at this stage if there are no undercuts in your master the wax will have shrunk sufficiently for you to be able to lift the wax out allowing you to use the mould again. If there are undercuts take a hammer and slowly break away the plaster outer. Then set too and finish off the wax before taking a rubber mould of it for multi castings in metal or resin or just treating it as a one-off piece by spruing it up and making a ceramic mould etc. Have fun! S
    ohh thanx for the workflow mate ..... seems very smart way to do it .....i'm soo nervous here to use wax will try it near future .....have to buy some blocks online

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi , i made another mouth and casted yesterday now need to define it with the tools and the sand paper when i'm done will be posting it too ...... give ur critics and comments

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    god love the gladiater... the look in the eyes have so much emotion in them. the pics in shadows r fantasic love it love it love it

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Clumsy-cow For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.