Spartan Camp #119 - 50 gestures + Optional "Figure Shadow Study"

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 1,628 Times in 662 Posts

The aim is to produce 50 gestures by Sunday the 27th of December.

- The gestures can be of anything, human, animal, cavorting capybaras.... You can draw full figures, but you can also go for heads, arms, eyes, or anything specific. All media can be used, both digital or traditional. Coloured or black/white. Quick scribbles or long studies. Imagination or referenced. Clothed or nude. Specifics are up to you!

- In addition to this, participants can choose to do an Optional "Figure Shadow Study", in any medium.
    Additional notes on this weeks’ Optional Study:
    The idea is simple. Produce one or several figures, and show shadowed areas! This will probably require you to 'think 3d'. Form! Shape! Value! Reference may be the best way to go. You don't need render everything out.
    Look at the 15th post in this sketchbook for very detailed and useful information on shadows. Some wonderful anatomy studies here, easy to understand. Colour, medium, time frame, any specifics are up to you! Have fun!

50 poses is a challenge, but don't hurry or stress yourself reaching it! Focus on drawing, as practising is the main goal of this exercise.

Critting each other is highly encouraged!! Share constructive criticism, reference and resources!! Let's help each other get better!

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

HALL OF FAME - SPARTAN CAMP #118

bakadoodle
    JBurrough
    BlackDelphin
    Fliegenpilz

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    So cool that you chose this optional, as it was something I had already started working on yesterday

This is my WIP

and a bit of a color test

Haven't decided on hair yet, still trying to soften her up some. Still got a long way to go, and much to fix, but feeling good about it so far for a no reference portrait. To give credit where it is due though, I was browsing CA and came across the ZhangLu stuff, and pretty much got this far from only the preview video. I can't imagine how much I would learn if I could actually afford the download

Any insights would be greatly appreciated
    Edit: Couple hours later.. I think I have taken this as far as my ability / patience is going to allow. Tweaked the face to the point where it lost all the personality it started with and now I got yet another blank stare result.

edit: time to put this aside, I can't see the issues anymore.
    Can't even remember all the Photoshop tricks I used to get it here. At some point it stopped looking/feeling like 'mine'. Maybe that is a good thing

Last edited by bakadoodle; December 24th, 2009 at 01:52 AM. Reason: UPDATE

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bakadoodle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Baka - That portraiture looks pretty good. Sounds like you know the areas you need/believe you need help with, so I'll just add a few thoughts. I'm still trying to get a handle on digital renders, so finished product isn't my strong suit. I do think that keeping interest in the expression is all eyes and mouth. Your piece has very pronounced eyes, but they're a bit standard, in that they're just looking off into direction x. A squint, a raised brow, a pinched corner... anything could set the personality back into the work. Try some paint-overs and see if it helps. Be bold with it too. Raise a corner of the mouth a smidge, etc. Little tweaks can do a lot to change the tone. Those are my thoughts, hope something there helps

====

A quick workup I did this morning... trying to keep all these wonderful crits and suggestions in mind.

I realize I miss the thrust of the optional... shadow-play on figures, etc... but thought I'd post this study as it more or less relates, and is continuing some work from past SSG's. Thoughts appreciated.

Cheers.

(Posting gestures/more optional work soon.)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JBurrough; December 23rd, 2009 at 04:33 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JBurrough For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks JB, I'm going to do exactly that with some duplicate layers. This was done pretty much all on one layer which I realize now was a mistake. There's only so many times you can use liquefy and still feel good about yourself

Everything seems really solid on yours, great practice. I want to try that now. The only thing I see, which isn't a big deal as I doubt it was the focus of the study, is the thigh musculature is a bit wrong and his wrists seem kinda thick considering the thumb position.
    Oh and heheheheh... naughty bits... heheheh that made me laugh.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bakadoodle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hehehe... thought it better than 'crotch'.

Just wanted to say that recut is a HUGE improvement mate... looks fantastic.

Insomnia creeping in... time to doodle. Cheers.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JBurrough For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Managed to squeeze a few out amidst the holiday chaos.

Thanks
    Holidays have been tying me up too, but I have a couple figures to share.

I'm trying to find some previous lines I've done to add shadows to... but I have very little as detailed as post 15. I'll need to get something to 'render' to really have a smooth shading study.

Hoping to get a few more (and gestures) in soon... really want to stick with it.

Cheers all.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    I had a bad week (the house I've just moved in has been sold before Christmas), trying to draw make me very nervous. maybe I do some environment copy for relax or anything...
    maybe I do a few poses later but I definitely will come next week!
    nice optional, I tried to draw one (ref: Jacques-Louis David: Patroclus) but messed it up, I guess it needs pencil anyway, not Tegaki
    the principles about drawing shadows was familiar and I dug out of the bottom of a cardboard box my beloved chiascuro portrait book

bakadoodle: nice girls in #6, only the bottom right has some issues, but I'm not good enough to tell what those are.

sorry for this useless post, I wanted to say hi, I'm here all alone and can't draw at all.
    in the next week I wish to reach the point where I can say I wholeheartedly STARTED to learn to draw.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I didn't know this existed. I'll participate as often as I can.

This morning I did the 50 gestures, everything from photos except the left hands.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ananda C For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Updating with comments shortly -

First ones from fasion magazine,
    Then reffed from Characterdesigns.com
    Then imagination

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Anthis, those are amazing. I like the ones from imagination most.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Ananda C For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    shiNIN - Sorry to hear things aren't going well. I hope everythign gets settled for you soon

Ananda C - Hi, Welcome! Glad you decided to join. You did all that in a morning huh? Sheesh that much would take me 2 days. All looks pretty strong to me. Seems you have a strong sense of the human form. Only crit I have offhand is the alignment of your eyes, nose, mouth seems to be off in several of your faces. I have the same problem. Not sure what to tell you except maybe a ruler? Keep up the great work!

Anthis - All wonderful. But I have to say I like the from imagination set the best. Very dynamic and natural looking.

JB - Some nice shading there!

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bakadoodle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Anthis: nice girls in the first pic... in the past I realized you're significantly weaker with faces (compared to your wonderful figures), but these are good, expressive faces, I enjoyed looking at them
    the full body gestures are great as practically always.

I drew 4 gestures in hours but I won't show them. any of you would make better 60 seconds ones with a touchpad. I have no line control at all. I haven't experienced this annoying feeling since I bought my big quality tablet.

I switch to pencil now. I can't be this hopeless...

24. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    bakadoodle Good thing you didn't give up on the portrait, the final result looks so much better. And I just love the girl with horns in post #6. Something about the arm of the guy on the same page looks a bit weird, though.
    On an unrelated note, did you start your sketchbook already?

JBurrough Interessting approach on the optional, especially the head. Not sure if I should mention it because it looks alright on the full body version but the shadow on the neck seems to be too strong on the head only ones.

Ananda C Welcome. Did you use a ballpoint pen for your gestures? If so, it's great that you're able to make them look so neat without being able to erase anything. Some of them have a few anatomy issues, though. Were the people on the reference pictures clothed or nude? I know how hard it can be to guess the anatomy of clothed people.

Anthis - I agree with the others, your gestures are really strong, especially the ones from imagination. Your line quality is highly awesome as well.

ShiNIN Well, it can't hurt to show us what you got. Someone might be able to give you some advice on how to do them better.

I felt like I was worrying too much about anatomy instead of focusing on capuring the gesture, so I decided to try some 15 second Posemaniacs.

I also did some gestures from photos (own pictures).

And some from imagination. I have to watch the length of my girls' legs more - for some reason I don't seem to have this problem with male ones.

Optional. Reference was taken from www.gracefulnudes.com

Name:  study.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  77.5 KB

Last edited by Fliegenpilz; December 27th, 2009 at 08:41 PM.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fliegenpilz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 1,086 Posts
    Guess i'm a bit late because i forgot the day!! Busy days make you lose track..

Started a head study, but it's not finished yet.

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

"Good artists are the crappy artists who never gave up!!"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 1,086 Posts
    bakadoodle - I'm not to fond of the value then add colour on top method, so i am glad you left it in values at the end; but even so, from your wips, i think you should study planes better, and have a look at lomis book for drawing the human head? i got that advice recently and i am so glad i took a look!!
    your figures have better flow after your other studies, and it'll only keep getting better! can't wait to see more!!

JBurrough - Yey! Plane studies! I really like the first shading part, when you gave the values and such, but then you made everything to soft. Read some more about edges?
    And i actually came to the conclusion that touching my face to really see where it is smoother helps!

Ananda C - You did quite a lot, great! I think you should pay more attention when you're drawing the upper part, especially the head-neck-shoulders part; some figures look very stiff or wrong..
    But are those in pen?! Dang! It annoys me when i could make everything better by just erasing.. but i can't because it's ink!

Anthis - As usual you varied your work so much! You remind me to practice those folds, thanks!

Fliegenpilz - Yey! 15sec figures!! Those are fun to do, hehe. I really hope you'll get better with your flow.

Worked some more on that head study, witch i'll try to detail as much as possible.
    Still not finished though

Plus i wanted to comment on everybody!

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

"Good artists are the crappy artists who never gave up!!"

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cristina Zabava For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    xmas was a mess - I'll comment quickly and move on to this week!

bakadoodle; Nice going on that portrait. Very clear and noticable improvement going trough those wips. Sometimes its good to just push one piece. You seem to have put some good thinking into establishing a light source.
    Careful not to go into detail too early though! A good underlying stucture is the most important (like Jburroughs 2nd portrait, with the planes). You don't have to actually draw those, but keep in mind to what side a plane is facing, and how it affects the lighting. It can be good to go 'back to the basics'. Nicely done!

JBurrough; Nice going. Studies like those can be pretty important. Very structural approach. It's unlikely that you'll always draw those head measurements when constructing a figure, or defining those planes. But it will help you on a subconscious level, and allows you to fall back on some knowledge.
    Although the figures seem a little uncomfortible in post #7, good things are happening. Nice anatomy on the leg and arm of that pose to the right.

Ananda C ; Thank you. I find it hard to find a balance between clean/accurate drawing and just sketching until it looks ok.
    And welcome! Some really nice figures in there. While doing these, it can be good to check the overall proportions both during and after drawing. It can be tempting to really focus on those details, and lose track of overall size and proportion in the mean time (small arm of 31, big torso of 49). Because you seem to have a good eye for some of the anatomical detail of your reference. (which is great!) Nice construction with those round shapes and lines.

Fliegenpilz; That's just perfect to have your own reference. I often get lost in looking for the right reference, but you may as well make your own reference. Or just striking poses yourself to generate some gestures.
    It's funny that even in some of the quick posemaniacs, you can see that some heads are on the small side. Could be a subconscious thing, like the female legs issue you mentioned. Which is a good thing of you to notice.

BlackDelphin; Nice! Always fun to see you sneak in other stuff between those figures, and your different approaches and media.
    Note that the eyeball is rounded, and you should be able to see this in that portrait (like, the eyelid). You're doing a nice job on those values though, good constructing. Just check for yourself though: In frontal view - the top of the ear is at about the same height as your eyebrows, while the lowest point of your ear should end up at about the same hight as the tip of your nose.
    Nice studies!

shiNIN; You're quite right there. I often fail at getting those faces to look right. The only way is always addomg face to the figure I guess! Good luck with your own studies - remember that improvement may come in very small steps. You may not notice yourself until you're suddenly good at it.

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Anthis - Thanks I have to admit you were right. The reference drawing has helped. My non referenced stuff seems to be coming more naturally and with less erasing.

Blacky - All that line practice seems to be helping. Your lines are looking cleaner and more confident. The head study is looking great, can't wait to see more.

Fliegenpilz Some great stuff there. Especially love the optional, looks excellent to me. And great link btw. Some fantastic photography there. Only wish they had male models for reference as well. And no, no SB yet. Don't really want to back post sketches and stuff, so working on getting together some current work.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bakadoodle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Bakadoodle: Thanks! Yes, I struggle a lot with heads... my next 50 gestures will be almost all heads I think. xD
    The portrait look good although I think the light is too undefined... mmm... there's a highlight on her forehead, I don't know where it comes from.
    The figures are very correct although the man on the left is in a unnatural pose, rarely the elbow would be that straight and his left arm wouldn't be so frontal. The girl on the top right is my favorite.

JBurrough: Nice studies. I think legs are too short in the 7 head model but that may be me, I always think of proportions as 8 head tall. Once I wasn't sure if it was correct and measured myself - I'm 8.1 heads tall xD
    The figures and the shadows look ok. There's something weird about the posture of the right figure, I think the neck should be higher on the torso.

Fliegenpilz: Hehe, I use pen so I can't erase everything 1000 times. It's helping me a lot.
    Nice work. My only crit is that most of your heads are too small... if you fixed that I think the legs would look better in proportion too.
    I like a lot the shadow study.

BlackDelphin: Thanks, ink annoys me too.
    Nice gestures. Watch out the proportions in the portrait, I think there's too much distance between the eyes and the ears are too small.
    Shadows and skin tone are very good though.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ananda C For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.