Sketchbook: eek's sketchbook - Page 7

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My! Your mouths all look really clean and solid!!!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Xeon_OND For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow your majorly kicking my butt. I go away for a few months and your work has improved so much. I must catch up. Great work. Really fantastic. Your lines are becoming even more refined. Be careful of proportions with the heads. Keep it up.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to loper42 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Xeon - Why thank you!

Loper - Wowee, glad you're back! I thought you had left for good. Thanks for stopping by.

So just a few things today. I'm surprised bridgman has so little on eyes. I also think I'm starting to get a better hang on value, but I need much more practice.

Onward!

Camera from life, ~1h
    bridgman
    eyes life and head notes

Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Camera still life looks goooooood! And I really, really like the way you keep solidifying your studies from the masters with your own from life. It will get you sooo much further. Everything looks really good, lets see some quick hands and feet from life, though! Never can have enough of those... and maybe some more digital stuff? Or an enviro? So many options, haha...

Keep killin' it my friend!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Marlee. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marlee - Why thank you. Keep the suggestions coming, it makes getting started so much easier. It's like a free to-do list for the day. I definitely want to try some more digital, but it just so happens my computer is borked. I've been meaning to mention that again, but keep forgetting. I think I've narrowed down the problem and I'm gonna try ordering a replacement part soon ($150 space bucks!). I just hope it fixes it.

I should try a traditional enviro soon though! That sounds insanely difficult. Thanks for stopping by my friend!

Soo, hands and bridgman! I definitely need to keep up the hands and features I've already covered, otherwise doing all this bridgmans will be for nothing. I haven't focused on feet in a long ass time, so I'm starting with bridgman's today and I'll move on to observation soon.

Mmm, think that's it. I keep forgetting a few things I wanna say, but I'm sure I'll get around to saying the stuff eventually. Toodles!

Out of order but whatev:
    bridgman
    hands life
    hands life
    bridgman

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikHolfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hand and feet studies looking great! Keep up the studies and they'll pay off on down the road.

My Sketchbook

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -- Confucius

12. The Following User Says Thank You to purplegoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wonderful hand work. Your studies will definitely pay off in the long run.

After you do the studies, try drawing what you did from your imagination. It really helps solidify the study. For the longest time, I avoided that completely, but I realize now that was holding back from my imagination. Don't let that happen to you like it did to me. Keep it up.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loper42 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice bridgeman studies

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo_7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The hands from life look insanely good! You're definitely kicking my butt this time around But I want to see some feet from life, thats when the patience reallllly pays off. I also think we should both make a pact to create more self portraits I've been bumming it lately when it comes to what I consider the "tough stuff", i.e. self portraits, digital/watercolor paintings, still lives, feet from life, etc... I think its time to crack down! I propose an offer : howabout for a week straight, we both do a self portrait every day, and upload them. I bet after just seven days things will start to feel a bit more clear when it comes to planes, head construction, and placement! what'dya say? Okay great When do you want to start?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Marlee. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    purplegoat Thanks man!

loper42 You are definitely right about that. I've started doing this more after Marlee's suggestion, usually on scrap paper. I usually don't post this stuff, but I certainly should do more as well! Some post I will show a few examples. Thanks!

Leo 7 Thanks!

Marlee You rock my socks off. Feet from life are coming up soon! I totally accept your challenge, though I need to finish this GIGANTOR sp first! Then I'm totally down to go a week straight. Actually, I just need to get a good chunk done and then I'll be ready. So, in a few more days I will meet you at the starting line!

So I'm really busy with my final project for Life Drawing. It's going to be a gigantor self portrait of me as an old man flying a jetpack. I'm scared. :o My goal is to really work on the rendering. I want to put the time in to see how realistic I can make it. For that reason I went with graphite since I feel like I have so much more control with it. We'll see how it turns out. O.o

life model
    life model
    structure sketch (prelim for big project)
    old me sketch (for big project)
    how I've got stuff setup for the final project

Sorry so long since the last update, it's been a whirlwind. I'll be back soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice update. I love the sketch of you with your expression. You did a nice job with the life model. What medium did you use with her? I feel like the crayon looks makes it look less interesting than it could be. What are you doing for your big project? Sounds like fun.

Keep it up! Your working hard.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to loper42 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wooohoo, new update!

Here's my advice on your old man idea : grab crazzyyy amounts of reference. It'll make it easier to make the happy expression "believable". I've attached a few examples! Check out also how Andrew Loomis' Drawing the Head on the Hands, (available for free pdf download if you don't have it!!), pages 56, 65, 66, 69, & 71. Take your time with the planes and don't be afraid to use values and big strokes (trying to teach myself this!) Look at how Loomis uses his big, blocky planes to define old men - Its brilliant. They are too creased and folded and wrinkled to try and use "smooth" planes, or "smooth" shading. you gotta really go crazy!

Anyway, blah blah blah, just more of me talking about things Idon't know enough about Good luck my friend!

edit; oh, and one more quick bit of advice! you're talking about crazy,ecstatic old men and jet packs - consider trying a more dynamic pose. Unless a "straight-on" portrait is the requirement, I think you should definitely go for a more interesting view. This is a big piece! You want to draw the viewer in and make them wonder about the image and the ideas behind it. Even a straight on view with the head tilted back like in the second image I posted is better. Play around with it, and make some quick thumbnails before you get too into it. You want to find one that makes the portrait feel exciting and interesting!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Marlee. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    loper That would be charcoal! i'm going to be drawing a very large self portrait of me as an old man flying a jetpack. It will be a big challenge, but hopefully it will turn out alright. Thanks for stopping by!

Marlee You are absolutely right. I've been working really hard with reference to get the expression right. I did indeed turn the head to make it more interesting than a straight on self portrait!! Thanks for pointing to Loomis, I will definitely check that out before the next session. I hope I can get the right effect with all of this! Thanks a million for helping me out.

So still focusing on the final. Here's today's class haul though. I'm pretty happy with the pastel since it was the first time I had used pastels seriously. I'm wondering about how huge that neck is now though, looks a bit exaggerated to me. I felt my gestures were showing some improvement today, so I decided to show some. I have a couple ideas for exercises to do to really help with them...will update on that soon.

Woo!

gestures life
    gestures life
    gestures life
    portrait life
    portrait life

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh I love charcoal. Its my favorite medium at the moment. At least, the vine charcoal cause its smooth and nice to draw with. The gesture are full of life. I like them. They really give a sense of movement. Watch proportions of your head. The eyes should be at about the center. Keep it up. I love the use of purple in your portrait.

An old man flying a jet pack. Haha... that's great. I think you can do it. You have tons of skills.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to loper42 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loper Thanks a ton for stopping by! Means a lot!

Hey all,

So this final is consuming me! I need to learn to balance big projects like this with studying. To be honest, I'm not working on it all the time, it's kind of just scaring me (because I'm trying to achieve a certain result). I have put many hours into it though. So far I think it's going fairly well. If I can keep this up, I think it might be OK.

The lighting wasn't very good for the photo, so excuse the poor quality and darkness. I'm definitely going to restructure the hand below and such. The background is going to be a fairly simple light cloud field with a few blurry birds. The jetpacking and such is going to be a bit more implied than directly obvious.

Anyway, I really hope I can get my computer fixed n that. I have so many things I wanna do!!!!!! Also, finally saw the new harry potter (h pitty). :thumbsup:!

Mind asplode. I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out that I wanna say, but gotta go do some stuff!

(p.s. Your reference came in handy Marlee! You rock.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wanted to give a little update here. Last day of drawing in class :C. I didn't like most of what I did, but this pastel piece was kind of neat. I really like these painting-style methods.

A little update on big project too.

garg! Much to do!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whew, well this thingy is due tomorrow. I guess I've gotta stop somewhere though I feel like I could keep working on this for another 30 hours. I learned a lot about process and such. I think it's definitely my best big project so far, so forward movement achieved. I still feel like I have a lot of work to do though. SO mucH!!!

Also, I got the compy parts and made the swap. Success! My computer seems to be back in working order. Woo!

[edit - Algenpfleger posted a ton of his old work from his epic 2 year sb from here: http://bit.ly/ihrZir He's a big inspiration of mine and has really shown what hard work can do for you. The bad drama that happened with Alge, Jana and CA makes me sad, but for now I've got a lot of good buddies here. Gotta keep working hardddd!]

Last edited by ErikHolfelder; December 9th, 2010 at 02:15 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love it. It looks great. You really added enough details and the design is nice. The facial expression and look of the character is really funny and entertaining. My only criticism would be the background because it feels like it needs something more. Just a thought.

Keep up the great work. In regards to doing more projects, I think that it would be great for you to inner mix longer work with short work. I've found I learn the most from a mixture.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to loper42 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loper Thanks a ton! You're right about the mixture, I just gotta get busy!

Trying to get a better handle on sighting color and using brushes to get the hard/soft edge I want. It's a big ass struggle right now.

Time to get srs! Back with more soon.

Not so happy with these,

life
    photo
    photo
    life

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lookin good! Be careful not to lose your perspective or structural integrity on those outer contours

SKETCHBOOK

BLOG

"Only put off till tomorrow, what you are willing to die left undone." -Pablo Picasso

34. The Following User Says Thank You to kiwigarbage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The drawing from life is definitely your strongest piece of your digital work. I didn't know you had a digital pen. Congratulations. I suggest observing very frequently. The more you do it, the better you will come. The quick paintings that are only 15 minutes would probably be your best in helping observe the basic colors. Keep up the great work.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to loper42 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kiwigarbage Ack! I did kinda just let the contours there go, good point. Thanks.

Loper I think you're right. I'm learning a lot with these short color studies. edit: thanks so much for putting me in your sig there, that's awesome!!!

Going crazy :p. I think next semester is going to be really busy, so I'm trying to get as much in as possible.

I'm focusing on color with these things and I'm learning a lot. I need to work on edges IMMENSELY. I'm experimenting with brushes as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heeeeeyyyyy!

I really like the way that the old man portrait turned out! I definitely think that the 3/4 view served you well. Good to see the digital back, too! Don't be afraid to experiment with landscapes, either. If i have any advice, its one that i think i should take as well ... try heading over to terragalleria.com and picking a few to ref from, then switch them to black and white (you can do it right on the site). try a few enviro studies in just B&W - I feel like with the first two in the last post the saturation is a little crazy, so maybe getting rid of color for a few studies would help focus on the values themselves first. That way, when you start to work with color next time you'll be able to focus more on the temperature and saturation of the hue, and won't need to worry as much about getting the right values. Consider going a step further - paint the same photo in B&W, then in color, and switch the color one at the end to B&W and compare the differences. It might help you out, somehow

Well, anyway, haha... Lets see some more!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Marlee. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marlee I love your drawing suggestions. They're always great...so I did the thing you said! You're right about the saturation. I was specifically trying to go higher saturation to test the results. I think In general my darker tones need to be more saturated than they had been, but in those I was going high sat all over the place. Great ref site too, I had been doing pbase.org which is pretty good, not sure about the licenses though. Btw, ready for the self portrait throw down whenever you wanna.

So I did a landscape in 1) b&w, 2) then in color, 3) then converted the color one to b&w to see the differences. I did spend longer and made the color one a bit more refined.

Then some designs for some story stuff I'm working on. Need to do sooooo much more! I wanted to do more, but today wasn't ideal (my fault). I'm gonna try to get a bit more done tonight and hopefully slam it tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woo, balancing illustration and practice is tough. Got so much to work on!

Gonna be doing much more in the next couple days - gonna keep this short!

Character sketches
    Attacking some designs in a different method
    Photos
    Photos
    Head - these took a long ass time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey eek! Those landscapes do look good, I hope my suggestion helped a little! I'm gonna start my SP power week (or month, year../hope) tonight, so if you wanna start tomorrow or the next day we'll be good! I love to see the project stuff you're doing, are they for school? i'd like to hear a little more about them - I'm in IB Studio Art at my school and have to start realllllly getting going on projects, designs, investigations, ect, and I'm a little lost on where to begin. Also looking into colleges (ugh, portfolios!) and am starting to get nervous, so you really have to kick my butt and tell me to work harder Hopefully the self-portrait challenge will kick off a productive week!

And don't worry if life gets in your way some days- it can be hard to be at 1000% all the time. My suggestion (to you and myself) is to follow the advice of Marko djurdjevic and Bobby Chiu and to set a specific amount time every single day where, no matter what, you draw something for yourself to better your skills,learn,have fun,etc. Works better earlier in the day, I think, because then stuff doesn't get in the way. If it takes meticulously planning 30,45 minutes of free space somewhere in your day to make sure that you feel like you've done something, its fine. It can be way, way too easy to push your own art stuff to the side for more important things. One of my favorite Bobby Chiu quotes (no, i am not obsessed..) is, "Its all about INTENSITY. YOU GOTTA GET CRAZY. Don't be afraid to really fall in love with art, because art will take care of you."

edit; whoo, you posted again before I did. Reffed figures look great,seriously. Keep doing them and your efficiency with the nonreffed ones will only increase. I'd suggest doing a few hours of 20 second gestures, because the biggest problem with the non-reffed ones is that they're stiff. A lot of them look like they should be doing dynamic things, but they've got that wooden feel. Take an action movie and pause it strategically if you're in need of reference for longer poses, because the dynamism is the most important thing (imho!) to capture. Its always harder for me to accept a figure that is stiff than one that is anatomically wonky, because movement is tough to capture.

Last edited by Marlee.; December 16th, 2010 at 09:31 PM.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Marlee. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your figure sketches. Your designs are interesting. Definitely do more of those. The photo sketches are great. Keep it up. Pretty soon imagination will get easier. It still find it difficult.

45. The Following User Says Thank You to loper42 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marlee Your suggestion most definitely helped. Today sounds good for the self portrait stuff. I think I'm gonna try to go for more than a week, so just jump in whenever you can! The project stuff is actually a personal project. My friend and I have been working on stuff since we were about 14 years old, and we're finally getting close-ish to putting out some stuff. This stuff is verrry different than that old stuff, but it's still in the same spirit. We've finished a couple smaller things, but nothing really serious. Anyway, basically it's going to be a fantasy webcomic about a group of people working to become good/professional magicians (like wizard magic). I can talk about it some more sometime if you want.

So what kind of things are you supposed to do for that class, or do you kind of have free reign? What requirements are there? Maybe I can help with conjuring up some ideas/getting you in motion. Whatever you need, lemme know.

Definitely gotta love bobby chiu, he's the man. "PUNCH IT IN THE FACE!" Haha, I think he says that about a lot of things. Your brain, apathy maybe....I forget.

You're totally right about the mind stuff too. I was focusing on the subtleties of the bones and curves and didn't really lay down a good gesture or anything. A million 20 second gestures sounds like a great idea. Whew, thanks for such an awesome post.

Loper Thanks so much! I plan to do many, many more.

Welp, not so happy with my first of a weekly set of self portraits. Likeness is off and eyes are poor. I may need to do many more than 7. Once again focusing on subtleties which is making everything else suffer...but soon this should even out a bit.

And here's a couple more concepts from my project. Gave Jono there a full body and a costume and some other costume things. Much more to do!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Happier with today's self portrait. I think it was kind of a breakthrough for me and brushes. I've felt like I could never do what I wanted with a brush before, but today felt good. Just using a round brush, altering size and hardness. Edges, man! ~2.5 hrs Likeness and such suck, but I was focusing on learning to handle the brush.

And I was going to design some vehicles today, but I realized that I suck at vehicles, so I drew a few. I'm probably gonna do a few more, but the rest of today might be kind of busy so I wanted to update now.

p.s. Marlee - I'll respond after your next update, since you said you were gonna update later with the rest. Either way, I'll hit up your sb by sometime tonight!! Keep going RARRR!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quickie here, busy day. Happier with this sp though, the likeness is much better. Also some more concept work for the project.

So much to doooooo.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2