Sketchbook: eek's sketchbook - Page 10

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We watched the first two of Robert Beverly Hale's anatomy lectures in class the other day. Those are pretty fookin awesome. Here's the first one on youtube. Lots of great nuggets, such as a great phrasing of the sensible path of beginning with foundations and moving to detail where he says something like, "You get the basic shape down and the go on to refine it for the rest of your life." Just awesome, so you can get down the entire body as simple shapes and then refine over life. I dunno, maybe I'm a dummy but his phrasing makes it much clearer to me. He also talks about the importance of using bony landmarks vs. fleshy landmarks and how you should develop your own standard figure so that you can easily figure out what differs from a standard. This is important sense there is really no standard, only averages and ideals.

Anyway, good stuff. I think the school library has them, so I'm gonna check them out and try to go through them.

1: train (seems shakier than it used to be, tis hard!)
    2: peck (on train)
    3: peck/bridgman
    4: example of some notes taken from Hale lecture

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your sketches are really pleasing to the eye. Your construction in the figure drawings is great.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bishop. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good studies .. keep busy with these stuff ...

On And On , I Am Cursed To Live Cursed With Life Until I Have Done What Done What Must Be Done . . . I Am The Man Who Would Not Die .

6. The Following User Says Thank You to raminafshari For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bishop. & raminafshari - Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the kind words.

---

I haven't been posting enough, but I've been drawing. I should draw more tho. Still working on it!

Our models ditched us two days this week, so we kind of just had free reign to draw. I tried my hand at gestures of figures and skeletons from my head.

1-3: gestures from head, a few minutes each, maybe up to 15
    4: train sketches
    5: random character portrait from comic project, unfinished, messing with painting styles
    6: self portrait (so far to go!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I felt bad about the amount of drawing/posting I've been doing, so I pushed and got a few more things for today. I like to post and clear the work so that I don't feel comfortable with how much I have to update tomorrow. Helps me get a bit more out daily.

Also, I took a quick look and so far I'm wayyy on track for seriously beating my quantity of drawing in '10. January/winter break was a huge boost for that, but I hope I can really keep it going and pwn last year. Really I'm already at 1/3rd what I had last year for sketchbook/digi stuff. It's definitely dropped off since school started tho, so we'll see.

1-3: Peck
    4: Photoref (I still really suck at hatching/value)
    5: ?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikHolfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HHEEEEYyyyyyyyy my friend~!
    I'm back and ready to kick your butt into posting daily again! This is all great stuff you've got here, the key (as you know!) is just work and work and work..

Okay, so this is the part where I give advice even though I don't know what i'm talking about. The digital apple on the last page looks good, but it could be a lot better if you stuck with a harder brush closer to 100% opacity. I feel like this really holds you back when it comes to digital, I see it in your self portraits too. The semi-transparent brushwork stuff is hurting you - the portraits and still lives should feel SOLID, but instead they feel a little..mushy? Its the see through, soft brushwork thats killing you.

Soooo, my advice is :: next self portrait, use a larger, hard brush on 100% opacity, and paint it in just .. 60 strokes. I'm recommending it because I remember Algen doing it a few times and I feel like it would really help you break the habit you've got going with your digis. Of courseeeeee... this should all be taken with a grain of salt as I can't paint digitally for crap. haha

Alright eek, keep killin it!! I'll be back to kick your butt again tomorrow..

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marlee. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marlee Yessssss! I really don't want to lose the steam I built in January. In fact, I wanna gain some!!! Kick my ass plzzz. I love it when you give me assignments because honestly figuring out what to do next is a huge drain. Anyway, YEAH YOU'RE BACK LET'S DO IT WOO.

---

I tried the 60 strokes, no opacity paintings. I also had pen pressure opacity off as well, which was very hard. Not sure if that was included in the parameters or not.

No idea what I was doing, so it was a good exercise.

I've got a few sketches as well, but those can wait til tomorrow to scan.

1: Whoa, totally lost here (also purely hard round, the rest I changed up the hardness)
    2: Process for 1, ~10 strokes per frame
    3: Yep, #2
    4: Self portrait 60 strokes
    5: Process

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikHolfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yayy! Thats exactly what I'm talking about! I feel more solid form in the first apple than I have in any of your digitals yet. I forgot to suggest that you do it in greyscale (which would have been easier, I think) , but it still looks like it helped a lot anyway! I think if you keep working in this kind of way you'll improve like crazy. Love the progress shots, too!

Woo! keep at it eek

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Marlee. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marlee I actually thought about greyscale, but I wanted to keep going with the color practice. I gave the greyscale a shot today though! These are definitely helping, thanks for the help!!

---

More hard round, no opacity work today. It's helping I think, hopefully I can work this all around into a decent technique - rendering has been such an elusive thing for so long. Feels like I'm on the edge of a minor advance though.

I'm gonna work on a bigger project for the rest of tonight. We'll see if I go to school tomorrow, might stay home due to weather (probably not).

Moar!

1: Algen study, this was so hard despite using the color picker. I tried to keep it even blockier than his to really understand the planes and colors. I know the proportions are off...
    2-4: 100% opacity, hard round, ~ 60 strokes except the last one which has probably about 60 plus a million more for the texturing
    5: Working on coloring and cleaner lines, trying to make this stuff legit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't skip school. The weather was pretty bad, but I made it in one piece. These days are actually pretty cool because there's an extra bit of camaraderie and goodwill between the people who did show up. Plus missing school is a bitch, you just have to make up the work anyway.

Plus I got to draw from a model finally! The last two sessions have been canceled for various reasons. I also drew a lot today in the food court and on the train. Overall pretty good so far.

I really need to go lay down for a few minutes, my eye is killing me. Hopefully I won't fall asleep and can do some more arting afterwards. If not, then I'll likely be up early anyway.

Rambling...anyway, catch you later!!

1-3: Quickies in food court/on train
    4: 10 minutes skeleton gesture based on model's pose (short legs?)
    5: 10 minutes...
    6: ~20 minutes (?) - Working with graphite and trying to get a little more detailed, same as 4. Sorry for the quality.
    7: A sample of today's gestures. We did so few, I really wanted to do more. I think I would have improved quite a bit with some more warm up. Even so, I think I'm turning a corner on these (maybe?).

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikHolfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    sexy notebook sketches

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Velocity Kendall Thanks dude.

---

Spent all day working on this thingy. It's a large Rubens master study. I dunno the dimensions really, but it's around 30" tall.

Anywoo, I think these types of things are helping me learn more about hatching and whatnot. I'll try to get a better photo soon.

1: The study
    2: A little detail shot

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikHolfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The woman standing in post #281 looks very graceful, I think you captured her grace well. I like that you are mixing up your studies and keeping up the traditional drawing while venturing into digital. I think that you are doing the right things to improve, so keep it up!

My Sketchbook

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -- Confucius

24. The Following User Says Thank You to purplegoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    purplegoat Thanks man! Your comments mean a lot.

---

Wrapping up kind of a tough week. Hopefully I'll be refreshed mentally and physically tomorrow. Much to do!

For today, just some quickie hands. My mind is elsewhere at the moment so I wasn't expecting much...

Til tomorrow!

[edit

Quick thoughts:

I'm tired of thinking. I feel so happy when all I do is draw all day. This week has been hard because there's been a few things in the back of my head that I need to spend a couple hours thinking about. It's like this constant nagging itch that won't leave me in peace to draw.

So I want to draw more tonight, despite being fairly tired. But that itch...I have to go take care of it or else I'll have another bad week next week. The good thing about this is that now my instict of what I would be doing would be drawing and not something else. I really am super happy with things when I get drawing done. I'm unhappy and depressed when I don't.

I'll keep thinking on the issue and see if I can't make it easier to get past these itches. Then I can just draw....

Also, I'm now thanking everyone that posts in here. I'm going to do this because I really, truly appreciate and love all the comments I get here. They're so motivating and helpful...I love you guys. So thanks!!

I invite anyone who thinks similarly to do the same.

More to come~

]

Last edited by ErikHolfelder; February 12th, 2011 at 02:13 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a little dsg tonight. My plan for tomorrow is pretty much solely to work on my comic project. Screw homework and other drawing!

Alrighty, see you soon.

1: Monster Wrestling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo Eek, I like your figure drawings!

From Eekolite:
    4: 10 minutes skeleton gesture based on model's pose (short legs?)
    The only thing is that the proportions looks kinda weird. I think the neck in the drawing might be a bit long, since the 2nd head should hit the area just slightly above the thoraic arch of the rib cage.
    The upper leg bone should be longer than the lower leg bone. The distance between the top of the illiac crest of the hip and the bottom of the 10th rib should be closer. In your skeleton drawing, it seems too far apart.

But then again, all these are based on my theoretical understanding; the actual model may be very different from that and that's why your skeleton looks that way.

I'm in no position to comment on your work, for I doubt I can even get this kind of skeleton out in just 10 mins!!!!! LOL
    Rubens study is awesome; I desire to see Michelangelo's Sibyl drawing soon!

Draw hard and keep the drawing fever raging!
    Xeon

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Xeon_OND For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Xeon Hmm, you might be right. I'm learning so much about the skeleton doing these kinds of things, but there's a lot of oddities like the space between the ribcage and pelvis. It seems to vary a lot even from anatomy book to anatomy book and I suppose that it's sort of like that in life as well. I definitely can keep working on my proportions though! Thanks for the tips. Glad you stopped by!

---

Fun day. Gotta run for now, but I'll leave you with a few images.

1: Peck pelvis!
    2: Quick Leonardo da Vinci study!
    3: A panel from a comic page I'm sort of doing to benchmark my skillz (Just roughed colors)

30. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikHolfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I was going to update last night...but I had a chance to go see BILL NYE GIVE A TALK! It was pretty neat.

So here's an update.

1: 10 Mins Thinking about skeleton
    2: 10 Mins Drawing model's skeleton
    3: 20 Mins Thinking about skeleton
    4: Finished pt. 2 of this big project, the skeleton. Both are about 30" high. I learned soooo much.
    5: Train sketches - these aren't so hot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, I'll be the first one to admit it - You are kicking my ass here! You've had so much good work this past week, I'm definitely impressed by you're ability to keep the workload steady.

A few quick comments before I pass out from exhaustion:

Love the studies of strangers from life! I still can't work up the courage to draw people in public regularly, I get so self conscious haha...
    Master study is great, I like that you're working on technique on a bit of a larger scale! And the bone layout? COOL
    Hands are improving more and more..
    And don't be afraid to put your pencil down to sit and think once in a while.. Anyone who's an aspiring artist knows the kind of pressure we're under to improve and learn as fast as we can. Its easy to get caught up in working hard and feeling so obligated to work that we push everything else aside... I for one know that I really, really had to take some time to myself this week, between being sick and stress from school. Honestly, I think its easier to get more work done (and better work!) when you have a fresh, focused mind for art

Keep it going my friend! I definitely get swept up in your hard work and steady progress, its truly made a difference - if it weren't for your dedication and encouragement, I can definitely say I would spend all of my time being a lazy ass.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marlee. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marlee Ahh your comments mean a lot to me! I'm glad you like what I've been doing. Always nice to hear from you my friend.

And don't be afraid to put your pencil down to sit and think once in a while..
    I think you're right about this. I should do this soon - has been wall to wall DOING THINGS for a few weeks.

---

OK, this comic page thing has been a real challenge. I might need some help. Crits? Debating whether to go color or b&w since I don't know too much about color at this point. Definitely a wip here.

OK! More to come!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woops

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was so hard. D: I don't even know how long it took. Converted it to b&w and upped the value with curves a little out of interest.

Okayyy, so I have a lot of work to do this weekend. I may skip a couple updates to focus on it. We'll see what happens. Just remembered I have a page of train drawings to post...maybe I'll post that this weekend.

Anyhoo, see you all soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, I'm so lame lately. Studies soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hahaha eek... these last few updates just made me feel a lot better I like the fearlessness! The b&w version of the comic has really good values, I'm impressed

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Marlee. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marlee I'm glad! Thanks for being so kind to my lame artings.

---

Ok, no studies again. I'll post some soon! Busy times and all that. I'm trying a new way of organizing my todo stuff and I think it's going to help me get a good deal more done.

We'll see!

These are some sketches for illustration ideas I've been having. They aren't even necessarily composition ideas (some are pretty bad...). They're mostly just little notes for myself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally some life drawing. Our models have been unreliable this semester.

So, onward!

1-2: 10 mins, some skeleton
    3-4: 20 mins, focusing lines

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Feelin pretty good tonight.

Various sketches and stuff for comic project thingxor based on the thumbs/sketches above. I know the night/day stuff doesn't really work...Also ignore the guy on the right in the last one...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 747 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, you got some cool stuff here. I really like you skeleton lifedrawings--they look really beneficial.

I think though that you should work on colour a bit more. Maybe some photostudies or still lifes to just figure out how it all works.

Keep up the good work!

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my eyes really like to see this much colors , well done , this last post is fantastic .

On And On , I Am Cursed To Live Cursed With Life Until I Have Done What Done What Must Be Done . . . I Am The Man Who Would Not Die .

47. The Following User Says Thank You to raminafshari For This Useful Post:

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2