Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Jiri92 - Thanks a bunch

Really busy today...put many hours into this project for school. I'll let the photos explain the project.

I was sort of messing around a lot with hatching methods, so it ended up just kind of looking like shit. Oh well, more practice I guess.

These are on 19" x 24" paper.

Onward!

[edit]
    I know there's a bunch of discrepancies between the two, like the angle of the drumsticks, etc. That's what I get for not focusing more.
    Last edited by ErikHolfelder; October 19th, 2010 at 01:00 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey, those reffed faces from the last post are really coming along! Like the girl in the hat a lot.
    So I think patience is just the key here - with your planar studies all you need is to take more time. I know you have it in you to make a super accurate study!! Don't be afraid to work big, to work slow, and to erase a lot until you have it as close as you think its gonna get. Seriously , this is where that kind of stuff pays off. You're training your eye, so even if you feel like it might not be the best to sit there for two hours doing one of these things, its worth it. You will get faster and more accurate in no time! In the second batch of reffed heads you would benefit a lot from knowing those planes really good, too.

Ooo, love the bones in the hands too, they're really solid.
    Ahh so much hard work in here its crazzzy

more please

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Marlee. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Marlee - Thanks for the awesome crits. I'll definitely put some more time into one soon. Part of it is trying to power through low motivation, so I just bash the studies out of me. I will do better!!!

I was debating even posting this since it's such sludge, but since you're reading this apparently I did anyway. I've been trying to hammer out some studies to get my work in today, but it's almost 4 am now and it's not gonna get much better than this. So tired today! I do have a skull at home right now, so will be working with that more soon.

Sorry for the shit photo quality, it's too late to do proper scans...

Skull from life
    Portraits from life (train)
    Photo ref and some bridgman doodles

Thanks
    Another hard day ^^. I can't tell if I'm getting worse or if I just have higher standards or something. I think it might just be a more advanced set of problems, so it's taking UBBBBERRR focus to get anywhere.

This is kind of an embarrasing post.

I'ma try to get some more done tonight too, we'll see. Gonna try to do a lot of one subject soon to get some uber focus.

bridgman notes
    life hands
    life hands
    mini photo enviro
    mini photo enviro (all flat color) green river running through red rocks if you can't tell

Thanks
    [edit - It messed up the attachments, so I had to reupload them...]

Even with bridgman, I'm finding hands to be an archnemesis...I need a lot more practice with them. Mine are messy and lack a solid foundation. I think I may be getting a little better at hatching though.

I'm probably gonna make a 2 page comic for Halloween POW, that's what the monster dude is for!

Gotta keep chuggin...

Hands from life
    Hands from life
    Hands from life
    POW challenge character
    Last edited by ErikHolfelder; February 13th, 2011 at 03:56 AM.

Thanks
    Man, you are killing it!! Just showed up here and i can't believe i've missed three updates already, i feel like such a slug now No idea why you're complaining about crappy quality, the hands from life you've posted are your best yet! The second shaded one in this last post shows serious improvement. I wanna see more attempts at enviros , i know youve got it in you to make them great
    Haha it looks like i have to go bust my ass tonight seeing as you've been working so hard . Keep it up!

edit; I came back to look at your hands again for some inspiration and i can't get over how structured and great they look. I'm super jealous!
    Last edited by Marlee.; October 21st, 2010 at 11:53 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Marlee. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Marlee – Gah, thanks a ton. It's just a lot of pointless self-hate, I know. To be honest, I was looking at your hands to get MY inspiration for great construction...you're kicking a serious amount of ass too. Keep at it!!!!!!

Feel free to ignore this post...it just seemed relevant to what's been on my mind lately!

So....I turn 21 today. It's definitely difficult sometimes when you think you should be better for your age or whatever, but it's just not worth it to worry about it. If you put enough work into something, you'll definitely see some big improvement from when you started. You just gotta do what you're inspired to do, and that's all there is to it!

eek's sketchbook

So I'm gonna keep pushing and see how far I can get in this next year. So long as I'm enjoying the journey, everything's awesome no matter what skill level I'm at.

I all of you! Thanks for pushing me to be better, you make this all worth it!

a little behind the scenes...scuse the bedhead
    eek's sketchbook
    eek's sketchbook

And of course I can't leave without a proper update, so enjoy these intricate studies in the spirit of birthday festivities

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ErikHolfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Phew, finally did another longer landscape. It definitely still needs a lot of work, but it feels like I'm heading in the right direction. It might benefit from a few more hours work, I need to work on a lot of the edges...we'll see.

bridgman notes!
    bridgman notes!
    process shots!
    current final (from ref)!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikHolfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yo Eekolite! First saw your SB via Marlee's signature.

After browsing through your SB, the thing that really strikes me the most...is your self-portrait, then and now!

I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS!!!!! You're a bigger inspiration to me than MindCandyMan ever was!!!!
    I really can't believe that!!!! 2003 you drew that, and now 2010 you produce such dramatically different works of art! I get so emotional all of a sudden when I saw that. I....I sob.

Man, I want to be like you some day. And I want to post a photo of myself smiling so confidently and so badass-ly just like you, but that will be when my art gets better. Shit, in most of your drawings, your line quality is as good as Marlee.

MOAR!!!!
    Xeon

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Xeon_OND For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Xeon OND Wowee, those are some hefty compliments you're throwing my way! I'm glad you find that inspiring, I've definitely felt the same way about a lot of people on here! It's one of my biggest inspirations. I find it funny that you think I'm smiling badassly, that's an awesome interpretation. Just put in the good, quality practice and I'm sure you're gonna be kicking a ton of ass soon!!! And Marlee is one of my huge inspirations for lines (and stuff in general!!). Keep it up, my friend - thanks for stopping by!

Just a quick dump here. Long day, with many hours in the car. I also made a bunch of changes to those giant hands, but didn't feel like reposting them.

More, and better soon!

hands from life (in car, in dim light!)
    skulls from life
    scapula from life

Thanks
    I think I'm getting better at sketching quickly on the train. These were just 1-5 minutes. Need to do more bridgman!

These digital sketches were originally gonna be some hairstyle studies, but I ended up just drawing faces from photo refs. I find it hard to get the same control I have with a pencil on the tablet because I I have to "guess" where my hand is going, so these look pretty weird to me. Moar practice plx.

Man, I had a lot of fun with this figure drawing today. The method was to put down a mid tone layer of charcoal, and then erase for lights and add more charcoal for darks. It was a lot of fun. It's more like painting, so I think I want to experiment a lot more with painting.

See you soon ;P

digital photo ref
    life
    life with model

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikHolfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Whoah I miss so much in here when i'm gone for a few days!! Gosh eekolite, you are improving SO fast from all this hardwork. Landscape study is incredible (feeling some intense jealousy) and happy belated birthday! Your train sketches are wayyyy better stuff than i can ever produce when i'm out in public... i get so shy because i just look like a stupid young girl who doesn't know what she's doing and is creeping on people while they're trying to drink coffee. How do you keep it clean like that? I can never capture people from life without ridiculous amounts of constructive scribbles/lines. Scapulas and skulls look great too, i am so jealous that you have models to work from!!
    Ahhh You are seriously kicking my butt, i get such a mix of inspiration and guilt when i visit your sketchbook. I should be working way harder! You just have to keep it going, you're doing great.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Marlee. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Marlee - Thanks for the birthday wishes! I wouldn't worry too much about the other people, try to just find people who are looking down or away from you...maybe reading something or talking to someone. I've never had anyone tell me to fuck off or anything, but I've definitely had some weird/nasty looks. I bet a stupid young girl is a lot less creepy than a geeky weirdo college dude staring people down anyway . As for the cleanliness, I think I just start UBBBEr light, and studying bridgman helps so that I don't have to erase as much. I can just lay the construction down pretty much how I want it on the first shot, and then I just go in with the confident lines to finish it off. Just practice I guess . I was gonna take some pictures of the skull and such for you guys, but I had to return them already! I've got a little vertebrae now though so maybe I'll do some of those. Don't worry though, once you get into the groove of things I have a feeling you're going to FLY RIGHT PAST ME!!! Thanks for stopping by.

I think I'm gonna move on from hands for a little while soon and try maybe feet or something. But today I got 3 more pages of studies, which I think are helping a lot with construction. I also just went through some of my favorite images and kind of studied the color schemes, which is what the little patches of color are. I dunno if this'll help my crappy color sense or not, but I don't think it'll hurt anyway. Then here's those hairstyle studies I was talking about. These are all loosely based off of other artists characters, so it's not really stuff I came up with, but it's not just those characters either. Good stuff!!

Gotta go googogoogo!!!!!11!

bridgman hand studies
    bridgman hand studies
    bridgman hand studies
    color studies
    hair studies

Thanks
    Man, you work like a maniac, and it shows cause your studies are looking better and better all the time. And you have a great attitude towards them too. "So long as I'm enjoying the journey, everything's awesome no matter what skill level I'm at", i'ts positive attitude like this that ultimately gets you to places. Thanks for the inspiration and good luck on your journey.
    Sketchbook

"You might be disappointed if you fail, but you will be doomed if you don't try"

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ismo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Gotta agree with ismo, I am looovviiinnn the attitude And i think its contagious, everytime i check this SB i feel a little more cheery. All i've got to say is that your workload is consistently awesome, day after day, thats something to really be proud of! There's no way you can go wrong if you keep working this hard! So just gogogo

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Marlee. For This Useful Post:

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast