Team Chow III: Team Liefeld

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Members

GentleFood3 - ???? ???? - He's too busy with Mexican boys.
    jac-k - The Moon and Princess of Wands
    Raydiant - Justice and Seven of Swords
    Sung-jae Kim - The Fool and Four of Pentacles

Last edited by Sung-jae Kim; January 7th, 2010 at 01:10 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For self-reference:
    The Princess of Wands
    This card represents dynamic passion - for life in general. If it comes up relating to an inner energy then it will indicate that you are overcoming old fears, breaking out of old patterns, and setting yourself free. There will be confidence, decisive action, an assertive leap forward into the heart of your life. It will often come up to indicate that you have broken through habitual limitations and restrictions, thereby freeing off your power to be used constructively.

It can indicate a spiritual breakthrough, which will always include the courage to face your fears, and see them for what they truly are. One strange fact about unacknowledged fears is that they take on the darkest, most horrifying shape with which your subconscious can imbue them. Yet when you drag them out into the light of day, you suddenly realise that what you were so scared of might a) never happen; b) not be as bad as you thought it would be when you feared it; and c) you've probably got what it takes to deal with it anyway!

If the Princess of Wands comes up to indicate a person, then she will be strong, forceful, determined, unswerving...and perhaps a touch bossy! She is a faithful and trustworthy friend, whose insight and perception will often steer you in the right direction. She will be energetic and enthusiastic about life, with a big personality.

As a partner she's independent, sometimes a touch stubborn, but loyal and caring. These are often career women, and usually wait till later on to start families. She will be experienced, and intelligent, though regularly you find that such young women have had to learn most of their lessons the hard way.

As an enemy she's dangerous - she's usually outspoken, and unafraid to express her anger. If you manage to make an enemy of one of these women, you need to think very carefully about how that happened. Mostly their engagement with life is so total that they don't waste time on negative pursuits. All the Wand people place morality and ethics high on their list of priorities. They are honest decent people with a strong code of behaviour to which they adhere faithfully.

This card will rarely come up to indicate an event - she almost always shows either another person in your life, or an aspect of self.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We don't have a theme yet but here are some doodles for The Princess of the Wand and Moon (last image). Her dress and headgear would incorporate an eagle = bold, deermined, strong.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...s_of_Wales.jpg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jac-k For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice first sketches! somehow reminds me of nice flowers...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Joyce, I'm really digging the sketches! It looks like you're using the site I provided from facebook, or you found it yourself.

I'm liking how you're thinking this through with the Princess of Wands and the eagle symbolism. My critique for that though is that you might be losing a bit of the "princess" feeling. The dress helps, but I'm not sure if it fully reads as a princess yet. Maybe body language or something to signify she's of royalty could help.

For the Moon sketch, I'm having trouble reading that as well. Is that a moon above her head?

Anyway keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    :3
    Lets get started ladies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here we go!

I'm working on my Seven of Swords now. Here's a brief I used for reference.

The Seven of Swords

When the Lord of Futility rules the day we are, inevitably, in for a bit of a tough few hours. Work will tend to pile up, and conspire against our best efforts to get through it all. We will often feel as though we don't want to work, as well, which of course will make everything feel worse.

We might also fall into the trap of worrying unnecessarily about things that haven't yet happened, and probably never will. This wastes our energy and makes us feel despondent and futile.

So - what to do? For a start, we need to ensure we take our senses of humour to work with us again! We also need to look at any pressing fears or worries and ask ourselves if, realistically we actually KNOW we have something to worry about. If we are objective and honest when we answer the question, very often we'll find we are feeling down in the mouth, and are actively looking for things to get anxious around. We can do this just to try to take control of a day on which we feel out of control. And it probably does us no good at all.

And anyhow - remember - what you put your attention on grows. Worry about your bank overdraft, and it will get bigger. Worry about your mound of work and it will increase. Worry about whether a disaster is just around the corner and you'll invite one!!

Next - accept in your heart that not every day is trouble free and hassle-less. And also accept your power to maximise or minimise the hassles you experience. The less trouble things give you, despite their troublesome nature, the easier the most awkward of days will go.

Finally, on a day ruled by the 7 of Swords, don't bite off more than you can chew. Even if all you manage is a minor nibble around your work, that's more than you would have done if you'd spent the day feeling overwhelmed and overworked. And recognise, at a very conscious level, that every single task you complete on a day like this took as much effort as a major triumph on an easy day - so give yourself just as many pats on the back as you would have otherwise!

Oh yes, and just one other thing - remember there's only a 78-1 chance of this card coming up again tomorrow!!

Affirmation: I centre my attention on the task before me, and complete it with ease.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some sketches and compositional thumbnails for the Seven of Swords.

Personally, I like my 2nd and 3rd sketches the most and those are the ones I made thumbnails for.

In each thumbnail, the character is crouched down, but still on his feet. Down, but not out.

I'd appreciate any feedback and crits!

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Raydiant; January 8th, 2010 at 09:56 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the 2nd and 3rd the best. I'm leaning towards the 3rd but his design is emanating a little too much naruto--try different textures (like metal) instead of just cloth? I think the 1st thumbnail makes more of a statement of the character.

Edit: looking back, I think the stance right now is a little awkward. I think it's because the heel is not touching the butt/thigh, putting too much pressure on the knees. Try smaller variations-what would it look like if his back was more slopped towards the viewer-or a differen't elevation of the arms? etc

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is so much shit I have to work on for school/outside that I can't spend as much time as I would like on this chow thing, so I kind of skipped a lot of planning staging and just went straight ahead to work on the finished. You guys can critique me as I'm winging through-haha. Sorry! I just worked on this before I have to leave for school. See you guys there!

I don't like the eagle beak on her head anymore-I'll probably take that out-and I'll work on her head so it actually is incorporated to her body. kk

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @jac-k I've got no gripes with the composition right now except what's happening with her legs? The eagle break on her head kind of helps now the "princess" feel probably because of the gold color. I'm assuming you went with either the 2nd or 3rd from the right sketch from your costume sketches. Maybe add some jewels or something.

Also her left arm looked funny to me and I consulted with an animation friend of mine to help fix that. She redrew that arm and as you can see with the images below if the arm is going back if needs to get a bit smaller or if it's going to the side, the arm would extend out to the border.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I haven't done as much as I should have. I already wanted to get at least 1 card done, but I'm still at my sketch phase.

Below are the final sketches for the Seven of Swords. I sort of fixed up the legs, the heel isn't touching the butt, but it should've been closer. For the first sketch, I switched up the swords a little to help the composition. For the second sketch, my friend helped me fix up that pose as well.

I'm most likely going to finish up the first sketch just because it reads more like a tarot card to me. Critique me as I wing this too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holy shit lol update..

yup...LIKE I SAID RAYMOND, I'D DO SOMETHING. I'm having trouble with the lighting. don't know why i did it lol.

ok, those 2 circle things on her head will be engraved with some eagle symbols
    breast part of dress will be feathters

the moon..i dont know what the fuck im doing..idunno...i'll do some concepts in lecture tomorrow..yup..gotta wake up at 5:30 k.

Last edited by jac-k; January 29th, 2010 at 02:18 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Joyce, I'm liking the progression, just keep at it. For the moon, just figure out what you're doing, I'm not reading it as "the moon." Good luck on finishing your entries!

I've got a big workload myself, but I'll do my best to get things done. Finishing up homework of course, and hopefully I can get a decent speed paint for my 2nd card.

Here's the progress of my Seven of Swords. I found a middle ground between my 2 concepts. A sword thief that wishes to wield all his swords and he cursed himself in order to wield them. The weight of all the swords and the curse affect him somehow, but he's hanging in there... you can make up the rest of the story.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.