Sketchbook: "Create like a god, command like a king, and work like a slave" - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wasn't really feeling anything tonight...I just couldn't see things correctly, and I couldn't move my pencil in the right ways. Oh well, just an off night I suppose...back at it hard tomorrow night.

I returned to that digital still life as well. I cleaned up some edges, and worked the background a little bit to add some depth. I also noticed something in the shadows that I've never noticed before, a little bit of a reflection or cooling effect towards the outer part of the shadow under the apple and the orange. I tried to paint that in, though I don't know how successful I was. But it still felt good to see this and recognize what it was. I feel like through all this studying I am doing, I am really starting to see things more clearly when I look at them...I feel like I am looking with a deeper and more in tune purpose than before, and I am really enjoying it

Anyways, back at it tomorrow.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    -I often post from my phone; so please excuse the typos
    Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decided to have a go at some thumbnail enviros. These were SO much fun! Number 3 and 4 are my favorite, and number 2 makes me wish I were never born, lol...

Anyways, any critiques or help to make these faster/more successfully? I know that perspective is king for these, so I will always keep that in mind when sitting down to work on enviros like this.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow I really like this last landscape update you did, great job!

art is never finished, only abandoned~Leonardo da Vinci

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ezekrialase For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    syle

right on man...loving those landscapes. keep doing em. also...keep on those loomis studies...those are going to boost your figurative drawings ten fold. try to draw through the form...meaning think of where the rib cage is in 3d space and draw its contours accordingly...check this out...

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/3383/107nt5.jpg

look at how he draws the s-curve of the spine and wraps the ribcage around it almost...on the figure with its back toward us. it looks like the ribcage is hanging off of the spine there...and then the hip bones but right up underneath it...

draw the s curve and figure out where the bottom if the ribcage line is, then figure out where the hips are...and then draw in the clavicle, and right above that is the jaw bone...and then youre halfway there! with only five lines!

keep it up broski.
    -zien

It takes a long time, but god dies too, but not before he'll stick to you.

sketchbook

my site!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zien For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good work so far, but i think maybe you're taking on too much at once? you're doing gesture, anatomy, construction, shading, perspective, values all mixed together.

my advice would be focus on one of the basics, either perspective or figure construction, before you do anything else. if you look at loomis he's got lots of tips on how to build things in perspective using vanishing points and primitive shapes (cubes, cylinders, spheres).

once you're really comfortable with those foundations in a couple of months you'll have a much better chance of tackling the more advanced stuff

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NeonDuck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ezekrialase: thanks for stopping by!

zien: thanks for the help zien. great advice on the figurative drawing stuff. i will try really hard to keep all that you mentioned there when I do some gestural stuff again. i think i need to do a lot of gesture stuff, my lines are feeling really forced, i think i need to loosen up a bit.

NeonDuck: you could be quite right, i dunno...sometimes i feel a bit overwhelmed trying to adapt everything i am learning into a single sit-down-study-period. I also have about 10 books pertaining to perspective, values, anatomy, gesture drawing, and composition that I am reading through simultaneously Sometimes I get a bit anxious and feel like I need to figure out everything all at once...but, I think your advice rings true, and I need to learn some patience with this.

UPDATE: some stuff I did the last couple days. My scanner is busted again, so it's shitty camera pics until then. i did a digital still life of an egg as well. i referenced Matt Kohrs Egg, which I posted last in this update. Harsh critique is extremely welcomed, I need to learn.

EDIT: my digital life study is now the last image in the post, not Matt Kohrs egg (I'm pretty sure that was obvious though...his Egg is awesome, whilst mine is...well, not )

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The duck is right, you do have a lot going on. So do I as well, but I found that focusing on one object/area would help me alot better,than spreading myself thin. I chose to develop my talents in life drawings/human studies. My goal is to be better than Great, and that should be yours too. We'll get there, just got to push each other. Oh, awesome music!!

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." -Edison-

Take a peek(Sketchbook):http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=201599

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update: Some gestural stuff. Getting into Vilppu's method. My gestures are getting a little bit better...but they still feel awful. Going to keep chugging away at them; I obviously need work. I also focused a couple of full pages on just doing circles and wrapping the spherical plane around them. It felt good to retreat a little bit back to the basics.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An imagination drawing with no reference. It was really fun! I was definitely scratching my head several times throughout. Oh well, I desperately need critiques on it, so I can apply any changes when I sit down to do this again.

And 1 other random doodle/shadow/light study thing.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These sketches have a very good sense of form and structure, keep up the figure drawings (believe me they help a lot!) I like your shadow studies; They've made me realize that I should be doing them too! Happy drawing =D

art is never finished, only abandoned~Leonardo da Vinci

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ezekrialase For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Face/proportions study. From imagination. Was fun! I crossed out 3 faces that my band members drew. I didn't want to take credit for them

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow! You have some good improvement just in the first few pages. Keep up the good work. don't forget about the enviros! If you forget those, it will come back to haunt you later...I did the same thing just that I spent a year on enviros with hardly any figures...and I'm not equaled out between the two at all right now.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jbrown67 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Getting back into it with the start of my 28 week self designed study course (see here):

Last edited by Syle; March 10th, 2011 at 11:22 PM.
    Sketchbook

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Syle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey bro, I like your attitude toward your work a lot. You also studying from Loomis and Bridgman, my heroes.. =)

Mmm.. the work is good so far.. hope you don't mind but if you looking for ideas to improve try playing with your lines a bit, sorry for the crap draw but hope you get the idea.. =) Good luck with your next studies. =)

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Kungfoowiz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey good work here, looks like you are studying all the right stuff and putting in the hours which is sure to pay dividends and there's already a lot of improvement on show. I think NeonDuck is right, whilst its important to study everything, it can be hard to consolidate what your learning if you are doing everything at once, so maybe concentrate on a different area each week to avoid getting overloaded. You definitely seem to be mastering perspective which is pretty much the basis of everything, so that's a great start.

Nice egg by the way! I also really like the more abstract stuff where you have taken the hand drawings into PS and mirrored them, they look great.

Keep at it man!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightpunk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Syle your studies are progressing nicely!
    #62, the landscapes with value are nice. That's an important part of putting together pictures and once we as artists move onto doing full on pieces that knowledge will come into play in a number of other ways.

Your perspective studies are moving along too.. if you get stuck sometimes it helps to view what you're studying through a square cutout in poster or foam board.. if that's not available just make a square with your fingers and close one eye.. I have problems with this and it helps when I actually remember to do it.

On your gesture drawings.. try to keep your wrist stiff and loosen your elbow.. make broad sweeping lines and draw big.. the bigger the better.. when you get good at big reduce. It will be a huge mess at first but it will eventually lead to more free and dynamic drawings. This book is super helpful and Stanchfield and Glen Keane are both gods of gesture drawing. Youtube has a ton of Glen Keane videos but the quality is spotty. If you watch him work (or his pencil tests) you get a sense for how he is able to capture motion and form with gestural lines.
    Check this video.. volume and quality are weaksauce but good info

25. The Following User Says Thank You to 4tonmantis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple of choice excerpts from my studies last week. I am trying hard to see the simple shapes in the figures...I think I need to simplify the shapes even further.

Kungfoowiz: Thanks for the kind words! I hate my linework!!! Yes, I will definitely be paying attention to my lines...they just lack any sort of confidence.

Lightpunk: Thank you very much Lightpunk. You and Neon are correct. Trying to focus on too much all at once was very overwhelming. I've divided the main aspects of drawing into weekly chunks, and I designed for myself a 28 week course to try and work on it all. I can't afford school right now, but I need something "academically" structured in my life to really keep my nose to the grindstone, otherwise shit just doesn't get done, yah know? Thanks again for stopping by.

4tonmantis: Thank you mantis. I have a song that I've started writing, titled "Mantis" When it's finished I'll send it your way (if you want, heh). Yes, my gestural feel and my line work are terrible right now...I think it's my weakest skill right now. I may adjust my 28 week schedule to allot a few weeks of strict line studies...I think I would benefit greatly from it. Thanks for your links as well, I will definitely be checking them out.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey that foot cast is awesome! Did you get one or is it from photo? If you did was it the Masters one on Amazon? I was considering getting it but didn't know anyone who had given it a chance..

On the song.. that'd be bitchin.. the name is from an Amon Tobin song if you've ever heard it.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to 4tonmantis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Mantis, I just ref'd it off a google image. I searched for Bargue studies. Thanks for dropping by again Checking out your SB now!

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While I'm not trying to bump spam I thought it would be worth linking the actual casting ...and it's only about $30.. not unreasonable really.. and thanks for the comment in my sb

31. The Following User Says Thank You to 4tonmantis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well look at you working so hard here. try to get a little looser with your imagination and fun sketches. guide your pencil stokes more intuitively, good exercise to stay loose and creative. You have a good style going to. I want to help with your digital paints though. You seem to struggle sampling when your blending in your paints. Check out the legendary Bumskee's tute on it.

“The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.” Albert Einstein
    CLICK ME!!! My "Baby Soft" NEW SKETCHBOOK
    MAYBE ME? My "Humble Beginnings"
    Facebook & Google+ Friends? Yeah you want to be friends
    Email: mail@jeremyswann.com
    Blog: www.jeremyswann.com

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeremy Swan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are getting better.

A couple of quicky noob tips about gestures. Hopefully they make sense:
    • Think in bubbles and how they occupy space instead of pure contours. This helped me a lot.
    • Try to establish some kind of rhythm and flow first (a few, happy S-lines).
    • Don't be afraid to draw through to get the overall shapes right. By this I mean that there's no shame in drawing things that will get obscured by other shapes in front of them. They'll help with your construction.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to bebraw For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jeremy: thanks for dropping in. yeah, loosening up is my biggest problem right now. I am going to be dedicating some weeks over the next couple months to pure line/gesture studies. Extensive Vilpuu studies should help a lot here. Thanks for the Bumskee link as well. I have read through that thread once before, but have since forgotten most of the advice Bumskee had given! It'll be good to freshen up on it. Thanks again.

bebraw: thank you! I am actually integrating all of your gesture tips right now...and boy is it helping! the "bubbles vs. pure contour" point really got me thinking about how i am looking at the figures when i try to draw them...I never realized how much I was focusing on only the outline of the figures. This causes a lot of problems for me with foreshortening/proportions. But with your advice, I feel like I am really SEEING the form/space a lot better now. I busted out 15 pages of sketches tonight thanks to you!!!

Do you have any recommendations for the duration of time that I should be doing my gestures? Because of my noobness, I am having a hard time telling what best for me, long or quick duration sketching (30sec, 1min, 5min, 10min?)...

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Syle View Post
    Do you have any recommendations for the duration of time that I should be doing my gestures? Because of my noobness, I am having a hard time telling what best for me, long or quick duration sketching (30sec, 1min, 5min, 10min?)...
    Do whatever suits you. Considering it's supposed to be a gesture even 15 secs might be enough. That should be enough time to establish some basics while not worrying about it too much.

Since gestures are fast to draw you'll learn a lot by simply posing your character differently and figuring out how that affects the overall mood and flow.

Glad to hear you got something out of my bag of tricks. Can't wait to see the results.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to bebraw For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update. Did some line practice; varying the shape of the line, and the value of it as well. I also did a Bargue cast study. I also did several pages of gestures. They may not look very much improved. But keep in mind these are 30 second gestures, compared to my old gesture sketches that were 1 minute sketches. With bebraw's advice, I felt like I was really seeing the figures more easily. Oh well, gonna keep chuggin' away at things.

Sketchbook

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Syle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just some doodle updating...it has been a dark last few days and i just couldn't find any inspiration to do any "serious" work...but i still managed to get the pencil to the paper.

it's a hand studies week for me, so i am going to be getting to work on some hand studies between now and sunday. hopefully i will be able to post a big update over the weekend.

Sketchbook

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Syle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been SUPER busy, so I can't really post all the work I've done the last few months. I have also been going without internet, except for 2 hours on Sunday evenings; hence the lack of updating.

Here is the CoW entry I made this week (my first *oW ever! Very fun!!!). I also am posting a random speed paint of a small town/alley. I just googled a random linework drawing and then painted over it...I am having a hard time letting go of the line work though...I think I need to lay down heavier layers of paint, and not be so timid with it. My problem arises when I go to turn off the line-work layer, and the paint-only layer looks like SHIT....oh well, going to keep up the work, I am learning photoshop pretty well at this point. BIG THANKS TO NOAH BRADLEY! His PS painting tutorial on youtube really helped me out a lot!

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BIG update. A lot of doodling in this update. I also churned out A LOT of pages with just line marks (inks and pencils). I probably only posted half of the sheets that I churned out just practicing my line quality.

I also tried watercolor for the first time in that colored/inked image. It was fun, but very difficult!

I'm also currently taking an oil painting class with Diane Reincke here in Seattle. Here is a link to her gallery: http://dianereincke.com/gallery.html I've posted my color reference palette as well as an oil painting replication I am starting. I absolutely LOVE oil painting! It's so much fun getting my hands dirty (and clothes, and table, and shoes...etc etc etc ). The hardest part is keeping my cats out my paint!

Anyways, just posting to show that I am drawing every day. Of course it's not as much as I would like to...but, I am sure we all feel that way.

Sketchbook

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Syle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Simple shapes exercises/doodles. I really need to put time into some solid anatomy studies this next week.

Sketchbook

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Syle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 925 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    you're making great progress.

49. The Following User Says Thank You to JakehC For This Useful Post: