P.O.W.! Challenge 36: Five Covers...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: P.O.W.! Challenge 36: Five Covers...

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following

P.O.W.! Challenge 36: Five Covers...

Welcome to Hell!

Elementary school is over, and you've all volunteered for the Marines. From now on, we're going to show those KON-sepschu-all skanks that think they rule this cesspool just how the grownups do it. I sound nice on this forum when I'm tired and trying to make things right that need lt, but once everything falls into place, I GET REALLY HAPPY...and when I get really happy, I become a homicidal prick...and you are all slow-moving targets.

P.O.W.! is moving to the next level of bone-crunching tyranny. From this point on, you will be asked to stick to deadlines, follow the rules to the point of not being allowed to have sex for a year if you don't, and you will also be pitted up against every evil idea I can come up with to ruin your pitiful lives.

To start this rolling, I AM going to be a bit sympathetic and allow some extra time due to the holidays, BUT...you take it as a chance to fuck off and watch reruns up to the day before the deadline, YOU WILL DIE! Publicly! I will crit you into the ground and send you crying to your mommas for every nit-picking little screw-up you try to get by me.

YOU...WILL...DO...THE...FOLLOWING...as professionally and completely as your current level allows...and then some. Trying as hard as you can and failing will not piss me off, but slapping shit down as if you had no respect for your fellow travelers and their efforts in this hell-hole will not be forgiven.

P.O.W.! Challenge 36
    Deadline: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 11:59 pm anywhere in the world.

Topic: Five Covers...

This thread will be the place you ask questions on this challenge, trash talk, post WIPs and post your final art. See the READ THIS FIRST thread for all specs.

Good luck.

All due at the final deadline, and to include the following:

• An appropriate high-impact and attractive image with an eye to attracting the primary audience I list with each cover.

• The cover/comic title I assign below prominently displayed along with your name as artist/author as well as a small simple publisher's mark to read "CAPOW!"

• Covers are to be 8-1/2" by 11" (22cm x 28cm) (51 picas x 66 picas) with an extra 1/8" (0.5cm) (1 pica) extension of the art in all directions, and all should be in Full Color, which does NOT mean that the cover can't be predominately white if that's appropriate to your art.

NOTE ON COMIC SIZE...

A number of people were confused by my jumping to another size for this challenge (the gray note above). To prevent any problems, I'm moving the sizes back to our usual Standard CB Sizes. If you've already started in the larger size, don't worry about resizing or re-proportioning your entry--I'll allow for it here. Sorry for any confusion.

Standard Comic Book Size:

--Trim size: 6 5/8" x 10 1/4"
    --Live art area: 6" x 9"
    --Bleed size before trimming: 6 7/8" x 10 1/2" (1/8" in all directions)

• Submissions should be 96 dpi jpegs at same size (unless the image manager disallows--just reduce slightly then), and titled in the following manner...

Your screen name-POW36-A(or B-E as needed).jpg

I would suggest doing your original art at 300 dpi same size minimum and making a copy for posting here, because there is a VERY strong possibility that ALL work from now on in this section may be reproduced in print...so if you fuck up, you don't get included...nyah nyahhhhhhh...

Cover A. Title is "FRACTURED." Theme/synopsis is Sci-Fi--A world has/is evolved/evolving with a slight post-apocalyptic feel to it that includes disparate races/species/etc. being forced to live together in as normal a situation as possible after they have all been stranded/dumped/voluntarily escaped to the world. This is NOT a "Us vs. Them" scenario. Think of it as a "We're all in the same boat so let's get along" story.

Audience is adult/young adult/hopefully attractive to both genders.

Cover B: Title is "BUTTON PUNCHER." Theme/synopsis is high-school coming of age/love story/drama where one of the two main characters is a 16-year-old professional assassin. Feel is romantic, humorous (ya'think?!?), and as serious or cartoonish in approach as you want.

Audience is Teen/young adult/hopefully attractive to both genders, with slight leaning to the female reader.

Cover C: Title is "SHADOWS." Theme/synopsis is horror/mystery, with a primary character who has a history of incredibly bad luck, but comes to realize that it is actually due to someone/somethng just out of the his/her peripheral vision that is actually manipulating his/her life for some unknown reason. Story is spooky, bloody and messy in both plot and lifestyle. The horror is more psychological than "CREEPY Magazine" blood, guts, and gore, even though it's loaded with all of the aforementioned.

Audience is older teen/young adult/adult due to gore and such.

Cover D: Title is "THE SEEDLING." Theme/synopsis is a young person--age 5-6--who has been raised in isolation from other children and is suddenly exposed to a new family, city life and school for the first time. The little one is extremely shy and reclusive, and story is concerned with how our little person slowly integrates into society.

Audience is preteens to adult, and cover should be attractive to both extremes.

Cover E: Title is "THE FIVE STARS." Theme/synopsis is stereotypical fantasy/swords and sorcery/mis-matched band of heroes on a quest kind of thing. Any approach is cool--Asian, LOTR, African, ancient, modern, whatever floats your boat. Be as creative in approach as you want--you know how this type of story works.

Audience is Teen/young adult/adult/hopefully attractive to both genders, with very slight stress on the masculine reader.

This is an exercise in interpretation, originality (in approach), and marketing. You aren't doing a neato drawing/illustration. You are executing the primary first selling image of a mass market item that won't sell if no one picks it up. It's both illustration, conceptual art and graphic design. I'm the client, so if any of these don't sell and i can't afford my rent, it will be YOUR fault...and I will break every bone in your puny bodies before selling you into slavery. Enjoy.

You are now a professional. Do the best you can based on your current level of skills--plus some--and I'll be happy. Those of you further along, this should come out at nearly the level for inclusion in the FINALLY FINISHED thread.

A little note here for all of you who have supported the P.O.W.! Challenges...thankyewthankyewthankyew...

Just a reminder--those of you who didn't get a chance to finish exactly the way you wanted to, or ran into deadline problems, remember there is a sticky section where you can post your stuff when you do get it up to speed.

Last edited by Ilaekae; December 22nd, 2009 at 11:28 PM.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting. I'd say there are one or two would be illustrators around who could use the portfolio material. Wonder if they'll risk the bone breaking?

Since the Title required to be on the piece and the file names, as commanded, are specific it does not appear that doing them in order is absolutely necessary.

Last edited by arttorney; December 21st, 2009 at 11:35 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Doubt

Ilaekae

So is it that, we can do either one of the five,,, Or do we have to do all five???

Last edited by Hari Gopinathan; December 22nd, 2009 at 08:22 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hari Gopinathan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know what? Fuck it, I'm in! Sleep is overrated!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Faust~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Same question as Hari Gopinathan, all five?
    Intersting topic anyway.

Forgive me my bad english

my sketchbook and my homepage

10. The Following User Says Thank You to skorpi For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You...will...do...all...five...

...you clowns really think I'd give you five weeks for ONE cover? Get real...this is a test of working under deadline...and to prove it can be done, I'm doing it, too, and plan to finish early...

...and they don't have to be done in any specific order...the label is to make sure I get them right for the poll...

[...nice avatar, skorpi...]

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would also recommend everyone flipping through this thread...

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=173315

There's some amazing stuff posted here, and not all of it is massive heavy duty illustration that took weeks to do. Covers, by their nature, are more about IMPACT than they are about DETAIL alone. The trick is to get someone to notice first, be interested second, and to open the sucker third. Keep in mind that a cover is always immediately competing with hundreds of other covers, something the internal art of a comic doesn't have to do. Covers are conceptual design point-of-purchase tools before they're information or entertainment--pure marketing at its best.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Ilaekae

I'm in
    Maybe some inspiration:
    http://best.complex.com/lists/The-50...Covers-of-2009

Forgive me my bad english

my sketchbook and my homepage

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to skorpi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's going to be a lot, but I'll give it a try.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to velderia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ilaekae,
    I don't understand the 8-1/2" x 11" dimensions for a comic book cover.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewRitchie For This Useful Post:

Asatira is offline an amateur trying to figure things out Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is very tempting. Time to start practicing some self-discipline and I may be able to get something. Will take some fiddling to figure out how to adjust to 8.5x11", but should be doable.

*breathe*

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Asatira For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Had to knock out the horror one first. Pencils of cover C

Attached Images Attached Images  

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndrewRitchie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I bumped the size to "letter" size only to give those of you who needed it as such a better sample printout. If you rather we stay with the standard sizes, I have no problem with going to the more normal standard size we've been using. I'll post a note at the beginning indicating this. If someone misses the note or has already started, I won't worry about it...

Will that be okay with everyone?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am motivated enough to push myself with this, I am hoping that with the pressure a diamond in the rough will form much faster rather than with time.

I'm going to work with some thumbs to try to get some good ideas flowing for each of these. Seeing as how you are acting as 'publisher' in this Illaekae, I would like to have your opinions the most and I will have to acknowledge that you are also busy with this, but I will take any wise words as I receive it (that includes anyone else out there reading this ).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i love this part it's where most die and some thrive (hummmm wich will i be) five weeks is way to much time just for five covers.....IMP..... it should be a cover and one page of story.....but than agian i should just shut my F**ing mouth.....before i end up eating my own words...lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This sounds like a pretty cool challenge. I want to partake more in the community (as I have been rather lapse with it of recent!) ~ A good challenge to push myself into.
    Thank Ilaekae!

EDIT:

STUPID(ish) QUESTION: will we have to create the graphic type/logo/barcode/publishing co. name/price tag - all that stuff too?

If so, its good for us all to think also about the layout of the image within, to conteract the type to be laid ontop...just a passing thought for all....

EDIT AGAIN: What about the back cover? Would it be an open option for us to include it etc etc?....

Mama Molly x

Last edited by Molly; December 23rd, 2009 at 08:23 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "...five weeks is way to much time just for five covers..."

Got that right, but we have an incredible number of newbees here who spend a lot of wasted time on school, getting laid, eating, sleeping, bragging/complaining in the lounge, etc. 10 days is more like it for 5 run-of-the-mill covers, with maybe 15 days if we're gettin' fancy (I'm talkin' DEADLINE work here, not special situations.)...

Molly, you don't have to create the bar code, etc., but you raise a good point that I haven't mentioned before in an obvious way... Usually, the publisher will require a small area of the illustration be a bit "clean" of anything important for the code and legaleeze to be mortised into. The price has traditionally been inserted in the corner top left or right, but lately, it seems to be with the bar code info, if it appears at all.

I have no trouble with a wrapped cover, but US comics often use the reverse for promo or advertising.

Many higher quality comics with wrapped covers often have the barcode and pricing/publisher info on the back now to keep the cover high-impact.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I'll just do this 8.5 x 11 size like you said in the first place. I like big paper.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to velderia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WIP update:

Cover B:
    Name:  CoverBWIPpre01.JPG
Views: 841
Size:  175.5 KB
    Cover C:
    BAWHAHA texture abuse. Gonna probably tone it down a bit though.
    Name:  CoverCWIPpre01.JPG
Views: 832
Size:  100.2 KB

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to velderia For This Useful Post:

Razorleaf is offline "Moving Forward" each and every day :) Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This sounds like something I could really get into. I'll give this one a go!

"Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Is it okay if my chow team warms up by entering this pow? I know it sounds like unfair advantage, but we are learning how to work as a team. It could be a disadvantage in some respects.

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I think I might give it a shot, though I wonźt be able to post any progress until the 5th or 6th of january. Raoul, I guess we'll just work indipendently, but Help eachother out if we have problems? Also, I guess we should make team Chow our prioirity. I have got so much stuff to do, so I'll just fuck off now and start drawing.

EDIT:
    So. Here are the first ideas for each cover. I love challenges like these, but with team chow coming up I'll have to fight hard to stick with my plans. I am going to decide on what I dea to follow soon, and start sketching it out. In about two weeks I'll then be able to work with it digitally (layout etc.)
    Ma main goal is to establish a certain style in each cover, and keep them individual yet still recognizably mine.
    Please give me feedback on which cover idea works best and so on. I will decide based on your opinions but in the end its up to me of course....
    Sorry for the VERY rough sketches. I still need to learn how to sketch fast from imagination. That is definitely not my forté.

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by Janos; December 24th, 2009 at 08:18 AM.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Janos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cover C Final
    Name:  arttorney-POW36-C.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  296.9 KB

Last edited by arttorney; January 3rd, 2010 at 06:14 PM. Reason: probable final

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Raoul, I don't think a team ENTRY would be fair to the other contestants, but I see no reason why the team couldn't do the Challenge as an exercise...it just won't go to poll. I'd be damn curious to see how it comes out...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    excuse me for asking sir Ilaekae

so current POW topic is to create 5 cover
    the cover only?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    blackrobinyes......five covers...
    yeah i am so against team challenge I have enough comp as it is...
    merry f-cking xmas to everyone....hey santa where's my hot girlfriend???? bich>>>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An idea for Cover D but I think I might try something different. It's a bit cutesy for me.

Name:  CoverDattempt01.JPG
Views: 739
Size:  104.4 KB

Edit: Second attempt. It's not as cutesy, but it doesn't really fit for me. I think it could be better. I thought it was funny on its own though.

Name:  CoverDattempt02.JPG
Views: 742
Size:  153.9 KB

Edit 2: Okay, I think I got it right this time.

Name:  CoverD03.JPG
Views: 741
Size:  170.2 KB

Last edited by velderia; December 26th, 2009 at 12:12 AM.

47. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to velderia For This Useful Post:

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ velderia. Lov ethe second one, and the nomnomnom makes me smile. Please do not lose the copmic side to this cover. It makes it!

49. The Following User Says Thank You to Janos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    blackrobin, yes, it's five covers only...and you don't have to call me "sir." "Your Most Revered and Royal Holiness" will do...

velderia, I like the humor on the covers. Hard to pull off, so I'm impressed.

51. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.