P.O.W.! Challenge 36: Five Covers... - Page 5
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: P.O.W.! Challenge 36: Five Covers...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That might make it better. Though I don't think there's anyway of changing it now. It's aquarelle after all

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Razorleaf I like your cover, composition and colors are working. Maybe you can make the painting more uniform. At the moment, the difference between textured areas and painting is to big and don't really work together (the painted areas looks unfinished, because you expect them to be as detailed as the textured)
    And change the Typo, Comic Sans is not a good font.

blackrobin I really like yourpainting style. I love the Shadow Cover, only the title is dificult to read, I needed two times, to see it's one word.
    And maybe I would change one of the humans to an alien at the fractured cover, since it's an all together story.

velderia Very romantic cover, I like it.

Janos Really interesting cover, far from what I thout but it works. great painting style.

Molly Nice thumbs, I'm courious wich you will choose.

kyurai I dont know how it is in US but usually the title has to be on top, because magazines often are aranged so you only see the top part (and there you want to reed what magazin it is)
    I don't know, if this matter an this POW, but if possible, I would plan the cover this way.

tobbA Looks much better

Work in progress, I have to work a lot this weekend.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Forgive me my bad english

my sketchbook and my homepage

Razorleaf is offline "Moving Forward" each and every day :) Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks skorpi ..... and about the font, hey I don't get to use this font very often so I thru it in. I kinda like it! I suppose its an industry taboo now to use it huh?

"Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @tobbA : it s looking a lot better now
    @skorpi : i love the girl look

i ve made the characters for Button Puncher separately(the problem is going to be to put them together), let me know what you think

Sketchbook:http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=152742

"It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value." (Arthur C Clarke)

Sketchbook Support Group Lite :
    PKHayden Purrdey Vardia beejazz
    If anyone wants to join send me a PM

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Razorleaf Use it you like, but there are lot of better fake handlettering fonts wich are better, in my opinion.

kyurai Thank you
    I like how you use the music to give them some connection. But I see, put them together to ine cover seems difficult.

arttorney *lol* I like the details. My question is, isn't it to much the illustration of the title? The customer reed it, then he don't have to see it too.

Button Puncher final (maybe I'll change the typo)
    And sketch for The Five Stars.

Forgive me my bad english

my sketchbook and my homepage

7. The Following User Says Thank You to skorpi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I'm hoping as she shapes up she'll come to take over the focal point. I am going to try to make her hot in more ways than one. As I work on this I am realizing she is kind of a bulimia superhero, and I swear that wasn't intentional from the outset, though it's kind of hard to escape from seeing it now that I have. Hopefully Capow is a crazy alternative publisher.

FINAL for Button Puncher.
    Name:  arttorney-POW36-B.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  527.7 KB

Last edited by arttorney; January 23rd, 2010 at 09:48 AM. Reason: clear marking of final

9. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thx arttorney for explaining the sizes, ill try to upsize it, edit: btw, cool lazor!

thx skorpi for the crit, no style there, just my poor painting technique lol, i'll see what i can do to the title, but have to finish the other covers first

another edit : i browsed through CA and found someone posting a job offer wanting Y-The-Last-Man/Pia Guerra's style, never heard of the comic, googled it and wow the covers she made are really good
    here's a link to her covers : www.coverbrowser.com/covers/y-the-last-man
    anyone knows some other author who make great covers too?

Last edited by blackrobin; January 11th, 2010 at 04:14 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to blackrobin For This Useful Post:

Razorleaf is offline "Moving Forward" each and every day :) Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the link blackrobin, ya you're right she does excellent work. Not only are the covers rendered beautifully there is also a flare of graphic design in there too. Nice!

"Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a wip.
    Name:  WIP.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  198.5 KB

Last edited by arttorney; January 12th, 2010 at 10:39 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Skorpi: Nice. I like the humor in it. Something that bothers me a little is the bg tho. Perhaps put some rubble there to make it more interesting or just something to indicate what kind of room they're in. Just a thought

Five stars cover is looking neat. Can't have enough gryphons on a cover ^^

Kyurai: Nice. I like the girl especially. The guy don't really stand out much to me. Apart from the hair, perhaps give him some features to make him stand out more.

Arttorney: Nice idea

A sketch for the button puncher cover. I know I misspelled the title (Seriously... even misspelled button. What's wrong with me. ^^')... Lucky it's just a sketch. I'm probably gonna try to move the bike down a bit to make the composition more golden mean-ish.

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketch tobba ..

arttorney, I can't wait to see where you are gonna take your 'Fractured' idea.

skorpi, I love you 'Button Puncher'.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @tobbA: cool sketch... i was just wondering that if you move the bike lower, won t the street be a little too empty ?

@arttorney: i can t see where this is going yet , where are the aliens gonna be at
    the button puncher cover is really neat ! i never thought it could be interpreted like this

@skorpi: i like the idea of the "nerdy" guy a lot

"It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value." (Arthur C Clarke)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i have a new guy fir the button puncher cover. You were right, the other one didn t stand out at all. Hope i can match them in GIMP (gave it a try last night and all i got was a headache )

and i think i finished the shadows cover, but here i would love some crits since i m not sure if the idea is getting through.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When I first got the button puncher idea I definitely went back to look at the brief and I saw that "humorous" is OK and as serious or cartoonish as we want. I think this one is heading off in a non-serious direction. I figured I could get away with it. There's some room for teen angst and everything, like Rogue and Bobby in XMen 2 trying to figure out how to be a couple when she is all scary and dangerous.

Fractured- I am going to have an alien or two with a barbecue grill and a shopping cart/push cart setup on the foreground roof. Some humans in winter garb will be there buying something to eat. It's a little cold in this dystopia. I was initially looking for a Waterworld-like fill pattern but I stumbled on this one that I liked. I need to do a little more work to make it look like glaciation is shoving up against those far buildings. There'll be tracks in the snow I drew on the indented building tops. I guess I have to draw big mounds of snow on the other building tops and the top of the wall around the near building top. I haven't decided if I want to draw rope bridges between the building tops.

I find it's easiest for me to work with the gimp if I open up all the dockable dialog boxes for the stuff I usually use (toolbox, layers, brushes) and just drag them around the screen by the blue part at the top to get them out of the way of whatever I am drawing.

Last edited by arttorney; January 12th, 2010 at 03:26 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arttorney View Post
    I find it's easiest for me to work with the gimp if I open up all the dockable dialog boxes for the stuff I usually use (toolbox, layers, brushes) and just drag them around the screen by the blue part at the top to get them out of the way of whatever I am drawing.

arttorney .... I'm not sure what you use for painting but I use Corel Painter. To remove the boxes on my screen all I do is press the tab key and they disappear and then press it again to have them back on the screen. It is so easy! Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I bounce back and forth between the GIMP, Inkscape, SketchUp, and Open Office Drawing Tool. Several of those have some right click flyout menus or preferences you can set, etc. but it takes longer to figure them out than it does to just make the drawing. I have gotten away from thinking about quick keys and stuff mostly because the ones on my tablet haven't yet been supported on a linux platform. I did recently find out that CTRL by itself as punched on the keyboard seems to give the sampling eyedropper in the GIMP. I had been trying to use "shift" for straight line drawing and got the wrong key.

I will probably upgrade this spring to Fedora 13 because it is such a lucky number. Maybe I will check then to see what the Linux Wacom Project has come up with lately. There is a CTRL [letter] way to call up most of the dialogs but I am too lazy to memorize them. Still, it is kind of a waste of time to drag dialog boxes around everytime I change from 25% to 100%. For a while I would use minimize/maximize but I found that too tedious since I like to have the toolbox handy all the time.

Last edited by arttorney; January 12th, 2010 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @arttorney : cool idea for fractured! never thought about a ghetto barbeque for aliens. )

well, i m new to GIMP and all other programs of this kind. So, i guess it s normal to get something very easy done in like 1h and getting white hairs in the process. I m gonna do some more tutorials today and hopefully i ll be able to finish the 10 min thing in 45

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome work so far everyone... I wonder where our local kitty is looming... Perhaps he's pondering on his vicious bitch slaps that he will deliver upon us like lightning raining down on the Empire State Building.

I figured though that due to the fact that if I try to put color on these I'll end up butchering these things beyond recognition (and the fact that photoshop is being a buggy little bitch to me for having more than three or four layers in the full 300 dpi versions...) I'll try my best but I will probably not be able to have the full 5 colored without pulling pieces of glass from my fist every G... DAMN TIME THAT FUCKKKING THING CRASHESSSS!!!!!!

But anywho... A small update of what's been going on for these...

-Fractured- is about done other than some color...
    -Shadows- I want to render in the characters and figure out how I'm wanting the title to be laid in... I also want to try to pull off some reflections below the lady as her blood pools under her.
    -Button Puncher- Still needing more work but the dude is carrying a paintball gun, the girl an Kalashnikov w/red dot sights... Trying to go for a 007 sort of feel with it... but 'eh...

The other two are still in pencil stages as I'm still trying to figure out the composition.

Arttorney - I highly admire your use of the GIMP... I tried my damnedest to try to figure it out and it is by far a pain in the gluts.

Skorpi - an awesome composition on the BP... I can't wait to see what the rest have in store for you.

Razorleaf - All those covers are very nice... Personally I think the Seedling resonates nicely and (if we were actually selling these babies) would definitely be a gem of a cover.

Sabastian (Look I got it right the first time!!!!!!) Really diggin that cover dude.

And Blackrobin, thank you very much for showing that link... I certainly hope one day to see myself pushed to levels of that caliber. Fine work by that artist...

Anywho... I'm tired and work's got a big inspection... not fun not fun at all.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to The Crazy Dude SRD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Button puncher REMAKE W.I.P

my bad!!! i had to make a major edit there i thought it was "the button pusher" not "the button puncher".....and i copied the specs for the challenge by word via cut & paste and still managed to put the wrong title .....oh well. My origanel didn't have the whole ninja assasin feel too it.....Besides nothing says teenage assasin like a pinked spiked yo-yo A&C are fini..D&E will be remade also

Last edited by j.s. sabastian; January 13th, 2010 at 05:50 AM. Reason: no abla engla....como?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the updates Shawn, especially the Fractured and Button Puncher ones.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    r u f-ing kidding me what am i f-ing invisable hear f-ing mother funnlover . what the f-

oh so i don't exist ....i new it..... cuaght a light sneeze dreamed a little dream made my own pretty hate machine.. i'm tired whhooooop's! *cough* *cough*oh shit i'm broke and by sunset i'm gonna be playing me songs on the street for beer money becuase i need some beer..... no really-f-ing square's

Last edited by j.s. sabastian; January 13th, 2010 at 10:05 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oops so sorry j.s. sabastian ...... didn't see you there

Yes, your off-the-wall assassin is kick-ass hahahahahah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i hate the f-ing internet it so lags

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorleaf View Post
    arttorney .... I'm not sure what you use for painting but I use Corel Painter. To remove the boxes on my screen all I do is press the tab key and they disappear and then press it again to have them back on the screen. It is so easy! Hope this helps.
    To hide the docks in GIMP just make sure you have the Image window active when you press TAB otherwise it will just tab around in the active dock...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys , i have a question for you don t kill me !

ilaekae said that we should post the finals in 96 dpi. I have 3 of the 5 covers ready and i worked them in GIMP in 300 dpi. My problem is that i don t know how to scale from 300 down to 96.
    I searched the web, and all i found was that i should use the scale tool and set my dpis there. But when i use it all i can set is the width and length of the picture. Is this the way to do it ?

again, sorry for the stupid question but i m a complete GIMP noob

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The following two step process has been working for me.

1. In the Image pull down there is a "scale image" option. Go in there and where it says horizontal is 300 dpi change that to 96. When you click in the vertical box the 300 will probably automatically change to 96. At this point click scale image.

2. Doing that will make the image become theoretically like 26 inches wide across the top so you have to go back into "scale image" a second time. This time where it says units and it gives you the default of pixels, work the pull down and select inches (or cm if you are using that) and then make the image size be the right size across the top by changing the number. When you click the vertical box it should automatically change. Hit "scale image" at the bottom and you should be done

I don't know why, but I couldn't get it to let me change the size dimensiona and the resolution at the same time and I think I had trouble when I tried to change the size first and the resolution second (if I remember correctly).

33. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you arttorney

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I know it doesn't come with a nice hardcopy manual or helpful university classes to tell you how to use it. For an artist who's just trying to get some work done, an elitist "RTFM" response is not very polite. Glad I could help.
    Name:  WIP.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  201.2 KB
    I need to do a little work perhaps to make sure this new stuff is properly in perspective with the environment, but I think I can get finished with my five on Saturday. I got a couple of tarot cards I gotta bang out by the end of the month.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @arttorney: it s starting to look like a ghetto alien barbeque. But they are not popping out of the picture, they are a little to tiny ? Or maybe brighter colours ?
    Oh, yeah , i read the online manual today(slow day at work , lol)

@the crazy dude: they are all looking good. I especially like the shadows idea

@j.s.sebastian: very high school the leg that is on the wall looks a little bit odd to me, but then, i m no expert on the matter

37. The Following User Says Thank You to kyurai For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.