P.O.W.! Challenge 36: Five Covers... - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: P.O.W.! Challenge 36: Five Covers...

Razorleaf is offline "Moving Forward" each and every day :) Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the font artorney ....

What is your theme for the Five Stars?

"Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is a whole genre of Chinese language movies taking place in a hypothetical fighting underworld colloquially known as jiang hu. The closest movie to this neighborhood probably known to the English language filmgoer is "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" or perhaps "Romeo Must Die" as a crossover. There is one that is actually called "Jiang Hu" that is taking place more modern day and concerns the Triads. The closest reference I am using for this is the DVD cover for my copy of "House of Flying Daggers" although I have a substantial memory library because everybody else in my law firm is of Chinese ancestry. I still haven't decided if I want to base the hero guy off of one of my friends.

I am using Zhang ZiYi's lips, eyelashes and eyebrows although I have made her face a bit taller and changed out her nose for one a little more like I remember Michelle Yeoh's. (I don't want to make a straight up copy of anyone).

There's generally romance, fighting, and death. There is also stuff that is like magic because people can frequently fly, or heal, or see while blindfolded, etc. although it is usually more characterized as "that guy is really advanced in his wu shu" (or his meditations or some such thing).

Big Trouble in Little China is a reasonable homage, although you have to watch it as though Wang Chi the restaurant owner is the hero. Kurt Russell is actually kind of a clown in that movie.

Razorleaf is offline "Moving Forward" each and every day :) Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've seen all the movies that you have referenced. The House of Flying Daggers was really good and I loved "Big Trouble in Little China".

At first I thought your idea was more "Olympic" but I am starting to see the references now. Because of your Asian references I am not sure that this font is suitable but I won't be able to assess it properly until I see more of the painting. I am, however, looking forward to seeing this one done.

Last edited by Razorleaf; January 3rd, 2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: grammar
    "Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Razorleaf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahhh! I thought about putting "Five Stars" on there in Chinese, but most wouldn't be able to read it. House of Flying Daggers uses something that looks like Roman Serif. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is very similar although the serifs are not as pronounced. Once Upon a Time in China is sans serif, except for the word China. Kung Fu Hustle is kind of poster style, but I've already been there with Shadows. I can see the guy with the halberd (based on Guan Gong) is kind of a visual cross up because of the white hair. I've been trying to incorporate a few characters with a bit of age on them.

Here is a sample of what it might look like with Chinese. Native speakers are of course welcome to correct me. I already know I am bad. I just said "five star" and there should probably be a measure word in between but I don't know the measure word for stars.
    Name:  sample.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  46.8 KB

Last edited by arttorney; January 3rd, 2010 at 11:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you are going with an Asian theme then maybe you could do a google search for asian fonts. Its an idea! When I look at your font now I see "old english" - like the style that would be on a plaque outside a small english style pub or something. I really like the idea of putting the Chinese version of the title in there too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For special fonts: http://www.dafont.com/

Forgive me my bad english

my sketchbook and my homepage

8. The Following User Says Thank You to skorpi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got Cambodian and all kinds of stuff already available on my computer. I just don't even know what the sounds of those alphabets are. My Fedora Linux computer won't go to certain sites through my roommate's wireless router so I'll have to wait until I go to work to look at Skorpi's site. I already reported the spambot, who also posted in a whole bunch of sketchbook threads.

Last edited by arttorney; January 4th, 2010 at 10:06 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I bookmarked this site a while ago for my kids arttorney but you might find it useful. I just tried it using (The Five Stars) and it works great.....

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_txt

Last edited by Razorleaf; January 4th, 2010 at 10:52 AM. Reason: grammar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting they use "ge" for the measure word. That's the measure word for things with legs. (It's kind of a default setting and the one I would have tried if I had to guess).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello,

this is the first part of the seedling cover . Hope i can finish at least 2 in the given time

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sketchbook:http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=152742

"It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value." (Arthur C Clarke)

Sketchbook Support Group Lite :
    PKHayden Purrdey Vardia beejazz
    If anyone wants to join send me a PM

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kyurai For This Useful Post:

AUG

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 394 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arttorney View Post
    I like her better now. Are you going to put the words sideways down an edge or across part of her?
    Not sure at the moment.

I figure I'll just move the text round on the page until I find somewhere it looks good.

Down the side is a good idea though. Like the Watchmen title.

Thanks for the tip Razorleaf, I didn't really put that much light in, because each time I did it didn't really feel right.

EDIT: There's a site called babelfish? Anyone else a Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy fan?

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote - Yowza - Thanks for the tip Razorleaf, I didn't really put that much light in, because each time I did it didn't really feel right. - Quote

No problem ..... ya gotta do what feels right to you as an artist, thats what makes us all unique and special

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Babelfish is old. translate.google.com is the new shit

Anyway... Cover one from me. I had the title in watercolor as well from the start but then I realized the proportions were off so i had to crop it. The water color title wasn't too pretty anyway.

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

17. The Following User Says Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @tobbA: i m no expert, but when i look at the image the background is a little too busy. Those vertical lines distract a little from the main characters. Maybe alter digitally the background of those lines to a different color than white and leave the main characters with white backgrounds ?
    As i said, i m no expert

"It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value." (Arthur C Clarke)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to kyurai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When we post our final images what size should they be? I mean the original 8.5x11 is way too big for the screen as so is 6x9.

So can we do the originals in (8.5x11)(6x9) and then reduce them to say 600x460 pixels @96dpi .... or something like that?

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    TobbA Nice one. I liek the characters but as a layout it looks a little patchy atm.
    The background is too busy, try taking away contrast and colourvalue.
    The typography is too stuck on, and it doesn't help that you can still see the rests of your original title. Try also not covering the attackers face in your next try. We should see the evil guys.

Cheers

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Janos For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,579 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Razorleaf, how large is your monitor? I'm not sure why you think the 6x9 at 96ppi is too big, for example. I usually post mine at 9" or 10" high without any problems (that's a bit under 1000 ppi high).

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    blahblahblah.....since when is this a chat forum?jkjk i think i'm gonna try a differen't......eh.....what's this master yoda!!! oh i'm sorry i didn't realize i sat on you. forgive me i thought you where kermit the frog....what???? p.s. arttoney don't you dare talk shit about jack burton!!! that man saved a lot of east bay lives including mine!

"Big Trouble in Little China is a reasonable homage, although you have to watch it as though Wang Chi the restaurant owner is the hero. Kurt Russell is actually kind of a clown in that movie"

Last edited by j.s. sabastian; January 5th, 2010 at 02:34 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ilaekae ..... all I have to use right now is a small 12inch laptop. Its a great little machine and I love it but its not the greatest for painting on.

But if those are the specs I can post them anyway.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    j.s. sabastian ...... you gotta open that closet door and let some fresh air in hahahahaha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketches

kyurai sweet

tobbA I agree with the others, I think, it would work better if the background is a more steady element.

Sktches for the Seedling and Button Puncher. I still have to work on the proportions and the poses at the Button Puncher cover, but first I need a break.
    And I think, I'll paint the Seedling cover with water color

Forgive me my bad english

my sketchbook and my homepage

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skorpi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is what I've got for now ......

Last edited by Razorleaf; January 6th, 2010 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Update

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Razorleaf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Master Ilaekae! I have made my cover 1 and 3
    c&c please!
    Nice works, keep on working guys!
    Im not really sure about my cover1 though, not satisfied about something but im not sure
    I did my cover in 6" x 9" 300 dpi (posted 6" x 9" 72 dpi here), but people are talking about 8.5" x 11"
    Am i doomed?

Standard Comic Book Size :
    --Trim size: 6 5/8" x 10 1/4"
    --Live art area: 6" x 9"
    --Bleed size before trimming: 6 7/8" x 10 1/2" (1/8" in all directions)
    can anyone help me to explain those sizes stuffs?

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blackrobin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blackrobin_ You can get away with either size. I'm just doing 8 1/2 x 11 because that was the first and easiest template I found when I started drawing but Ilaekae has also made the comic spec template fair game. Those trim and bleed dimensions are explained in the "Read This First" thread in this subforum. They are basically a way of making sure no important part of your beautiful drawings gets chopped off by a page cutting machine that has no artistic sensibilities. Those areas are not required to contain anything but white space (if you want to leave a big margin. If you only painted the 6x9 live art portion, then maybe you can add 3/16 inch of white margin to each side and 5/8 inch of white space to each of the top and bottom (for those covers I might use black margins).

Quote Originally Posted by j.s. sabastian View Post
    blahblahblah.....since when is this a chat forum?jkjk i think i'm gonna try a differen't......eh.....what's this master yoda!!! oh i'm sorry i didn't realize i sat on you. forgive me i thought you where kermit the frog....what???? p.s. arttoney don't you dare talk shit about jack burton!!! that man saved a lot of east bay lives including mine!

"Big Trouble in Little China is a reasonable homage, although you have to watch it as though Wang Chi the restaurant owner is the hero. Kurt Russell is actually kind of a clown in that movie"
    LOL. He showed great courage. We are in his debt!

Last edited by arttorney; January 6th, 2010 at 03:34 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sleepy, but workin'.

Cover B Final(?):

Name:  velderia-POW36-B.JPG
Views: 179
Size:  354.9 KB

35. The Following User Says Thank You to velderia For This Useful Post:

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An idea for the seedling, far from done though. Love all of the other entries. Good times.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Janos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK, below are thumb ideas for each cover.

Cover A: Fractured; I wanted a sense of an 'over-crowded' city, or public transport, something that was more to real life than the usual post-apocalyptic theme of desparate people and fighting. Like things today, immigration, asylum seeking, except, its aliens. Also, I would like to do this back cover to front, to make more of an impact on the sense of feeling crowed and claustrophobic...
    Name:  COVER_A-lr.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  64.4 KB

Cover B; Button Pusher;
    I wanted this to be more teenage fun than a serious story. The thumbs are based on the two main characters, one or the other being the assasin, and a li'l tribute to spiderman in one of them...
    Name:  COVER_B-lr.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  85.3 KB

Cover C: Shadows;
    this genre requires a serious, dark and twisted feel. The character is tormented, mentally and physically...I was thinking on the lines of Momento and The Machinist...
    Name:  COVER_C-lr.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  97.2 KB

Cover D: Seedling; the age group for this one - 5-6yrs pre-teens - is a nice change to the others. I wanted a reason why this young person was in isolation before their integration into society. So, I figured the young character could be a 'fantasy being' of some sort, displaced by the loss of its natural surroundings. I've made this character a child-fawn, brought into society, because of the loss of the forest they used to live in. This would be a good way of bringing up moral issues, about nature, the earth, people respecting one another etc etc... Ilaekae, I hope its ok, to put this plot behind it. IMO, I think it easier for children to relate to a strange being, that is different in color and shape - than chosing whether or not the main character be black or white...
    Name:  COVER_D-lr.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  73.6 KB

Cover E: The Five Stars; well, I was kinda stumped with this one. I decided to keep this more 'modern-urban-style-fantasy'. A young group of people, with cool skills, fantastic fighting scenes, with kick arse gorgeous babes..
    Name:  COVER_E-lr.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  53.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys, i have a question here : is it possible to put the title of the comic on the bottom of the page or this a complete no-no ?

i was thinking about integrating the title of the seedling cover in the picture. Something like chalk writings or pebbles on the ground under the main character.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments... And good job from everyone here

I tried to fix the issues, moved the title and tried to make it fit more with rest of the image

Hopefully it's a little better

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tobbA ... I think it looks much better now. I like being able to see his face. I am wondering if you couldn't lower the bad guy and the direction of the gun and still put the title at the top. Just a thought!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.