P.O.W.! Challenge 36: Five Covers... - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Button Puncher WIP

I kinda like the direction this one is taking so far but I'm wondering if the rim is too dark.

"Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I forgot to post Cover A:

Name:  CoverA01.JPG
Views: 306
Size:  90.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm impressed, everybody. Fight hard!

Razorleaf: I don't think anything is ever too dark, but I'm kind of a goth. What I would suggest is to make a gray scale version and see if the values, the shapes, the positive/negative space are doing anything for you. I think you'll see you need to punch their faces a bit (artistically speaking). Nice bricks. I know it's not easy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks arttorney .... gray-scaling didn't do as much as I had hoped but I'm thinking I will go with the less darker edging for the lens/scope.

"Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What type of book covers are these? Are they all for comics? There's a big difference between magazine, comic and paperback - each having their own market and subsequent style. I'm asking so that if I change-up my styles for the five different themes I will get them right. Thanks.

Last edited by Razorleaf; December 27th, 2009 at 09:00 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been operating with the assumption that they are comic/graphic novel covers, although Ilaekae is the boss. I expect he will check in some time today and say something. I am going to have variation for sure. My Five Stars will probably look more like a video/DVD cover for a jiang hu movie, with lots of portrait and figure work. My Fractured will have an alien and some creature/industrial design elements. I haven't decided what to do about the other one yet.

Here's a WIP:
    Name:  base.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  210.5 KB

Last edited by arttorney; December 28th, 2009 at 12:19 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aahh very in-ter-res-ting...i shall definitely have a go at this...on the next day...today i havent slept yet so nyah

for once i think i am going to follow the rules

Yo Yo YO Panel of the Week POW

Needs Critique CrimsonBows

Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!~ Bruce Lee

When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style.~ Bruce Lee

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SalOnimaruRem For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Button Puncher WIP

This time I kinda like the painted version .... still the B&W has potential

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm working with the specs given but each time I upload a new WIP it seems blurry. I do the original in Painter but I adjust the sizes in Photoshop. Any ideas why this is happening? Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's probably an artifact of going down to 96 dpi. The spiderwebs in the letters of my
    Shadow one look great at 300 dpi but they look like crap at 96. I'm not good enough to tell you what you can do about it. Sorry. Maybe somebody else can. (Updated above.)

Last edited by arttorney; December 27th, 2009 at 09:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been running out of creative steam and this challenge will definitely help in gettin' me back into the art! Yay!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fractured WIP

I thought I'd go with something a bit retro for the composition ....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I always love your work Patricia. Glad to see you're aboard.

Razorleaf is determined not to fall behind. Good show! Trying to crank out five of these babies in the last week is not likely to lead to any good results. I'm trying to pull ahead on time myself because I expect all the figures in my Five Stars one to take forever and my Fractured was going to need a figure, a creature, and an environment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is gonna be a challenge for me to color it in hahaaa x]

here is what i have so far for A...i hope i got the sized right @_@

Attached Images Attached Images  

Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!~ Bruce Lee

When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style.~ Bruce Lee

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SalOnimaruRem For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    To verify--all covers are meant for comics or graphic novels (or Mangas or Manhuas if you swing that way)...

Nice efforts, everybody. I'm impressed...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Damn, Oni, I do love your pencils.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to velderia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys, I know you are kind of a tight knit crew, and although I haven't posted here since a few days, I still am going to enter. On the 5 or so I am going to post real updates, until then, what do you think about my different cover ideas?

Oni Rem I love the pencils. The only thing is I think the Papyrus font cheapens it. Search for something interesting and modern in teh web. There are many good, free fonts out there.

Razorleaf Hi, I like it. The composition is a abit weird, especially the alien looking up. He should kinda be in teh middle for such an old school cover. BUt I like the old schoolishness of it. Space is too turquoise for me, but might be my taste.

I am gonna post thoughts on you other guys later on. And believe me Ilaekae, when I start something I finish it.

SO thanks for the great ideas and see you later.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Janos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This stuff is for Janos:

I like the fractured idea with the architects best, I think.

The sword behind the back one seems to have the clearest narration in button puncher.

Shadows- the hiding on the subway one seems creepiest to me somehow

Seedling- This one is tough to pick a winner but I think the broken toys one is interesting

Five Stars- I'm leaning toward the weapons one right now. The covers are supposed to be high impact and sets of shoes would have to be pretty damn cool shoes indeed before anybody besides Imelda Marcos would find the cover very attractive. The five way face has potential, particularly if you work in a star like motif to the abstraction. I just never really have much luck with abstraction around here. That's what brought me back to the five weapons on the table.

Oni Rem: Don't let color intimidate you. If nothing else, get all your linework done on the five and do some kind of "colorize" or "posterize" button on your Photoshop. You have such great starts and I would love to see you finish.

Last edited by arttorney; December 29th, 2009 at 03:27 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 394 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quick webcam of my WIP for Button Pusher, going out so I don't have time to scan yet.

P.O.W.! Challenge 36: Five Covers...

Just a speedy ink, unsure what to do with the face. I considered sunglasses, but I figure the eyes are important to show her youth.

Great stuff here guys.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oni .... really like your sketch, can't wait to see what you do with it.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Razorleaf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Got a bit going so far... I'm still working on the rough sketches of the other four and haven't gotten them scanned.

This one I'm thinking on making the foreground houses simmilar to a shanty town with highrises in the background.

Had a bit of a problem with photoshop when I was painting at 300 dpi...

Every time I tried it would freeze up... I then increased the ram usage and decreased the history. everything seems to be working a bit better now.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Crazy Dude SRD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haa thanks all for the encouragement!! it does a lot to my motivation

as for font i threw that in for now, but in finding a good font i will shit bricks for that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the great topics, Ilaekae (though i doubt I can do them justice)

I want to jump on board.. been working on "shadows" during the last days... hope the size thing (I oriented on the gray text) is alright... and well, crits are more than welcome!

Really nice stuff going on here velderia, I love your ideas! oni rem - the fractured sketch is really stunning! Razorleaf - love the button puncher w-i-p! I like the colored version better, maybe a not daylight setting would make it a bit more creepy (I don't know if you're going for that, of course). arrtorney - love your shadows cover - the simplicity works very well

w-i-p

Last edited by Nike; January 19th, 2010 at 06:26 PM.
    "The reason why truth is so much stranger than fiction is that there is no requirement for it to be consistent."-Mark Twain

gone.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it looks like i wont be having access to the internet for a while so i will find some other way to post my stuff :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aw shit. PM me the email address. 1 hr. per day library access. Gitcher scans in to me by email. We'll see to it you can post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nike Atm she looks a bit zombieish. I would try to soften her up and go only with blood splatters. Also I think the image lacks some more colours. Going all red gives it a nice graphical touch, but I would colden up the shadows by adding blue, and I say try rendering the grass yourself. It'll look soooo much better.

The Crazy Dude SRD I like the idea of the aliens sitting on a truck. I say try to make the architecture and the cars more modern. They are on a different planet after all. Somehow I also didn't imagine skyscrapers for fractured, rather assembled huts made out of spaceships or so. I also like the alien you drew, but I would add another few. Fill up that truck!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Janos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really like wips every one is posting........but i think.....it's a bit to soon... take your time remember there's five......maybe in a week or so unleash the WIP force or something like that. bounce back and forth between covers to give yourself inspiration. or at least that's what i keep telling myself..... i guess what i'm saying is we have more time in this challenge to tell a story with one image. than having to display panels telling a story so in theory it's the image that counts>>> who know's what the f--ck i'm saying anyway's

nike great pic selective color's can make an image really bold but imp just stick with red black and white for highlights it looks like you where adding "flesh" tones wich throws everyting off....i get the shadows part of it but you could incorporate more "story"

the crazy dude srd Jesus you couldn't of picked a shorter name....jkjklol
    i like your style. but i would like too see more "other worldly" things in that truck there's
    nothing alien about about a man and a chicken......

razerleaf i think your fractured is kickass, but you should reverse your ships they supossed to all be dumped on the same planet. not escape from it. and on a side note are you using vector graphics for your button pusher? it just coffusses me.

oni rem great start but WTF now YOU CAN'T make it????? look i'll say this i suck at skecthing with pencil!!! the eraser is my best friend. but you my friend (i don't know you) you rule so get of your ass.... pencil and then shade i'm sure you'll quallify for other challenges

arttorney solid work on your shadows cover.......what medium are you using for these becuase you might want to diversify for your seedling cover.

velderia great images have you produced....attached to them you must not be......(whoooowww now i',m talking like yoda) you have time try other things...for instance "button pusher" is /slash/ romance but where's the button pushing? unless it's a sexual button ooooohhhh that's why there in bed.......

Last edited by j.s. sabastian; December 30th, 2009 at 05:36 AM. Reason: time heals all wounds

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to j.s. sabastian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Janos and Sabastian; Great ideas I'll get crackin'

oh and Sabastian, if it's easier just go ahead and call me SRD, or Shawn.

edit: whoops sorry Sabastian... I mostly spell phonetically... and I have massive cerebral flatulence on the occasion.

Last edited by The Crazy Dude SRD; December 30th, 2009 at 03:51 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dammit people it's spelled wrong for a reason.....i'm an idiot!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Because the other three are going to take me so much time I am probably going to have to finish the Seedling one and move on, but I understand what you are saying. These are mixed media tied together with the GIMP. The Shadow letters for example are scans of letter stencils that have a printout of a spiderweb behind them showing through. The figure was a pencil drawing based on a photo. I drew over the scan of the pencil drawing with solid color and then bucket filled with that warning pattern. (etc. etc.)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.