Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Benjaminba's Sketchbook (Updated Oct 22, 2011)

Thanks

Benjaminba's Sketchbook (Updated Oct 22, 2011)

Thursday 22nd, December, 2009.

Hello everyone,

My name is Benjamin, I'm 21 and I'm from Denmark. I'm currently studying English Literature, but really, art is what I want to do. To be able to tell stories; on books, in books, in magazines, video games or whatever.

I'm very interested in hearing any comments or critique you might have! Thank you for visiting!

/Benjamin

---------
    Updated Wednesday, 18th, May 2011
    Updated Saturday, 15th, May 2011.
    Updated Monday, 9th, May 2011.
    Updated Saturday, 9th, April 2011.
    Updated Friday, 23rd, July 2010.
    Updated Monday, 12th, July 2010.
    Updated Tuesday, 6th, July 2010.
    Updated Sunday, 4th, July 2010.
    Updated Wednesday, 30th, June 2010.
    Updated Tuesday, 22nd, June 2010.
    Last edited by Benjaminba; October 22nd, 2011 at 11:25 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Benjaminba For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This is going to be a bit heavy on studies to start with. Boring, I know.

Inspired by Wesley Burt, amazing pencil-ist!
    Attachment 861303

Really awful legs in this one. And boring face. Oh well.
    Attachment 861305

Not sure how much I really learned from these hand studies. Almost felt as if I focused more on imitating Bridgeman's lines than on actual construction.
    Attachment 861306

Attachment 861322

Ai, didn't want to show these Train sketches, 15 min each. Not pretty.
    Attachment 861323
    Last edited by Benjaminba; December 21st, 2009 at 09:19 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Benjaminba For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You have an amazing ability with line sensitivity in the pencil work and being able to show a range of values. It'll be nice to see some recent stuff since some of the stuff your showing is a year old or so. It's a great thing you are aware of your own mistakes.
    And don't settle for less, if you aspire to get where you want to be.
    Looking forward to your progress man.
    You can visit me at my new blog Musings & Quips of an Artist

I'm out to conquer the world equipped with a pencil, digital paint and a
    Sketchbook
    and when I do achieve that goal...I'll conquer the moon too

"When you draw nervously you end up with a nervous drawing, so drawing strongly produces lines filled with vitality"- Nightow Yasuhiro

"Use the ability you already have, and use it, and use it, and make it develop itself."-Robert Henri

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sanakris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you, Sanakris, for the kind words! Yeah, the drawing of the wizard is pretty old. The other ones are recent, at least.

I'm going to ramble for a little while. It's my sketchbook, so I can do it and it'll only embarrass myself. But please just skip ahead to the drawings. :p

In the next three months, from January to March, I'll be attending a drawing class - there's not a lot of options for tuition here in Denmark; no schools which teach fine arts or illustration, only graphic design and animation. So, that means I will have to take a break from my studies.

Making the choice was pretty terrible. Maybe it's a foolish notion. It'll delay my degree and cost me quite a lot. And in fact, I honestly haven't been taking drawing all that seriously up until now - certainly not as a possible future career. It'll be worth it if my drawings improve, if I learn, though.

Anyway, wishing you all a Merry Christmas!

Okay, small update. Don't have so much time what with Christmas and having to finish a last paper for January 4th. First one is more of an exercise in figure painting - the costume/design is pretty bland, but I like the pose well enough. And, amazingly, it's in colour!
    Attachment 861829
    Next one is a study from a photo by Renoux from DA, I believe.
    Attachment 861830
    Last edited by Benjaminba; April 14th, 2010 at 10:50 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Benjaminba For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey,

I'm afraid it has been quite a while since my last update, but I haven't been sitting on my backside. That's to say, I have, but I've been drawing while doing it, so it's okay. Anyway, my first week and a day on Truemax is over and I thought I'd share some of my studies.

First, however, I'd like to say that the course so far has been great. Our teacher, Kim Hagen, is taking a classic approach to the subject; going thoroughly through some very basic shapes and moving on to observational drawing of more complex still lives. The focus has been mainly on construction, simple perspective and negative space - a lot has been from observation.

Here's a few examples of what I've done, from old to new:
    Some cubes. We drew a lot of cubes, cylinders, spheres and such simple shapes. They are dreadfully boring to look at, so I'll mostly leave those out!
    Attachment 877539
    Attachment 877542
    Attachment 877544
    This one was a study in negative spaces/shapes. Very frustrating, but ultimately rewarding exercise. It's a number of jumbled chairs - can you tell how many?
    Attachment 877545
    About 3 hours on the skull. Not perfectly happy with it; I don't think I got it precise enough, nor captured the "life" in the skull, silly as it sounds.
    Attachment 877548
    Last edited by Benjaminba; January 19th, 2010 at 01:52 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Benjaminba For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Okay, time for an update!

Past few days have been about drawing humans from life. I've only actually drawn from model once; getting to do it now is just a blast.

We started with some 15min sessions, followed by shorter sessions of 4min. It still takes me a lot of time to capture just the basic forms, so please forgive the messiness.

Attachment 882010
    15min.
    Attachment 882012
    15min.
    Attachment 882013
    4min each.
    Attachment 882014
    15min. This one was a fun exercise! We had to draw three of our fellow students who then drew us. Like those photos with a person taking a picture of somebody taking a picture.
    Attachment 882018
    We were asked to draw a few "expressions" - happiness, anger, curiosity, etc - from imagination without drawing facial expression.
    Attachment 882020
    And finally some of our homework. Sketches from life - these were from the train and railway stations. Kid about 1min, girl 2min, and the man about 20 min.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Benjaminba For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It better to go for what you really want now (art), thatn to spend the rest of your life
    of what coulda been. It's normal to doubt yourself in such a big transtion in life. And its
    not that easy to draw when your stressed like that.

And your work is really improving. Next time you think your art sucks you should read this.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=135551

The gesture drawings and short poses capture the form in a short amount of time. It'll be cool
    now to see a drawing with your new enhanced skills.

Just keep drawing man is my only crit. Perseverance is key.

Sketchbook

"When you draw nervously you end up with a nervous drawing, so drawing strongly produces lines filled with vitality"- Nightow Yasuhiro

"Use the ability you already have, and use it, and use it, and make it develop itself."-Robert Henri

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sanakris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It better to go for what you really want now (art), than to spend the rest of your life
    of what coulda been. It's normal to doubt yourself in such a big transition in life. And its
    not that easy to draw when your stressed like that.

And your work is really improving. Next time you think your art sucks you should read this.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=135551

The gesture drawings and short poses capture the form in a short amount of time. It'll be cool
    now to see a drawing with your new enhanced skills.

Just keep drawing man and add more values to the drawing when you shade is my only crit. Perseverance is key remember that.

Sketchbook

17. The Following User Says Thank You to sanakris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks sanakris! You're absolutely right. And yeah, I tend to go light on the shading; probably because I'm not that good at getting it all even and tight. I'll work on it.

We went to a museum, "Glyptoteket", in Copenhagen to draw statues on Tuesday and continued today, Thursday. I got to draw a completely amazing statue - it's too big for my scanner, though. I'll try to lend the school's scanner. But for now, it's just more studies: hands and people from observation.

Attachment 885468
    Attachment 885469

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Benjaminba For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You've got some really beautiful sketches, here. (: I especially love those hand studies! Keep up the great work!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to pepokish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    So, we went to the "Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek" in Copenhagen on the 19th and 21st to draw sculptures.

I chose to draw Laurent-Honoré Marqueste's Perseus Slaying Medusa (1903). At the center of the museum is a botanical garden and at the center of that, a sculpture of a woman sits above a small pond. Different sections of the museum branch out from there and you are greeted by the sculpture of Perseus and Medusa right as you mount the stairs to the hallway we were in. It's a very striking sculpture; Medusa's rage is almost tangible, as is the force of the pull and the weight from Perseus' leg on Medusa (unfortunately, from the angle I drew from, you could not see his feet on her stomach).

Anyway, I think I worked on it for 7½ hours. It was pretty intimidating for me to draw something this complex - I'd never done sculpture studies before. So, at the beginning, I spent a lot of time just measuring, despairing , redrawing, finding the line of action in the figures and getting the negative shapes right.

Attachment 886728

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Benjaminba For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Small update. I've got lots more to show, but I don't have time to scan! (nor time to get enough sleep! Urghhh...)

These are starting to get a little old already - from last month. I'm so behind.

Attachment 902750
    The below is a design by Feng Zhu - our task was merely to reconstruct it in another perspective. I couldn't find the original drawing by Feng Zhu on the net, unfortunately.
    Attachment 902772
    Not so satisfied with the elk skull here - it looks amazing in real life. Quite the wonder of nature. I had a tough angle and messed up the perspective in places. The left and top areas seem to be in a slightly different perspective from the rest. It's a bit too short - the foreshortening was hard to capture!
    Attachment 902752

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Benjaminba For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice looking stuff, your pencils are looking pretty nice. Keep on doing the life drawings and studies, but don't forget to apply what you're learning from the studies to your imagination stuff.
    My Sketchbook

Mark 12:28-31

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Swampdigger For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast