Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Marvel samples

Thanks

Marvel samples

Hello all!

I finally decided to join after lurking on here for awhile. I really should have joined months ago.
    So, I'm an aspiring cover artist trying to work for Marvel.

Thanks for welcoming me!
    Thanks for looking!

Marvel samples

Marvel samples

Marvel samples

Marvel samples

Marvel samples

Marvel samples

Marvel samples

Marvel samples

Marvel samples

Marvel samples

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    These look pretty good!

It's hard to offer a blanket assessment of all nine pieces, but my suggestion would be to work a bit more on penciling...the anatomy feels a bit soft and ambiguous in places, and it seems it's be easier to get that stuff worked out before you start in with the painting.

Thanks
    ...Thoughts? Could you see these as actual covers? Am I on the right track?

Thanks
    Main thing that stands out to me is that your colors are kind of muddy. Shadows and highlights typically have other colors in them.
    Also Spiderman's right wrist is chunky.
    Not a bad start though!

Thanks
    The ideas behind these are great, and you have a good sense of composition and graphic design. The images are striking, and would stand out on a comic rack. Your biggest problem is that you've put the cart before the horse. You have all this design skill, but your anatomy and rendering need work. There are a lot of unconvincing hands, biceps, faces, etc. in these paintings, and until you are able to nail that stuff, it doesn't matter how fresh your compositions are. Particularly for comics, your anatomy skills have to be rock solid.

I'm not saying this to discourage you. Quite the opposite. You've got an eye for design and visual storytelling, which is something a lot of guys who can draw like they're copying out of an anatomy book will never have. That's a good thing. Once you get your drawing chops up, that eye will put you ahead of the pack. But I think you need to forget about thinking up cool covers for a while and get back to basics. Draw and draw and keep drawing, get an anatomy book, take a life drawing class if you can afford it. Sketch from photos if you can't. And keep hanging out here at CA. There's a lot of amazing guys who can teach you a lot here.

Most important. Keep it up. You're good, and you can get better.

Nathan's Journal

http://sabrepunk.com/

Thanks

Smile

Nathan- I appreciate your comments,but are we looking at the same things,lol? You make it seem like I'm not a well-rounded artist. I don't see what you're going on about. I've actually graduated from art college, taken drawing classes, and I've studied Norman Rockwell extensively.
    My rendering,yes, can be tighter,and the anatomy is slightly off in some places,but certainly not in the way you described it.
    But I respect your opinion. Thank you.
    I'll post more work soon.

Thanks
    Nathan's comments are well founded and likewise his advice is sound.

Thanks
    Hey Leroy!
    You're definately on the right track. SOme images read really well for a cover and got great potention.
    What I think your work needs most atm is some better blending. It often Looks kinda sloppy and you got a lot of hard edges in your blending. Use a softer brush to achieve some smoother effects in your images and clean up some of your outer edges. Besides that you could work on your choice of colour. Take the second one. You use black in her hair. That's pretty awkward there. Instead pick a much saturated dark blonder and use that. Now you're colour scheme looks pretty dead whilewhen you avoid colours like black and alike you can achieve a much profound colourscheme. Also be sure to add some castshadows. For example in the 7th image I imagine there would be some sort of shadow cast from the spikeys of that guys helmet. Last comment would be to use a slightly larger value range in some of your images. Especially in the first one all colours kinda blend into eacher and don't read very well. Experiment with some rim lights and use a slightly larger value ranger whilst avoind black at all times.
    Anyway you're on the right track man hope this was usefull. Take care.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Oosterling View Post
    Nathan- I appreciate your comments,but are we looking at the same things,lol? You make it seem like I'm not a well-rounded artist. I don't see what you're going on about. I've actually graduated from art college, taken drawing classes, and I've studied Norman Rockwell extensively.
    My rendering,yes, can be tighter,and the anatomy is slightly off in some places,but certainly not in the way you described it.
    But I respect your opinion. Thank you.
    I'll post more work soon.
    i cant believe youd throw a completely legit critique about your work right back into the face of someone taking the time to comment. nathan was spot on to say the composition of your pieces is great, but the anatomy and rendering are not strong. at all. if you are so confident, why even ask for crits? if you dont want advice, dont ask. and bump your own post. im not sure if this is a joke or what, but you need tons of refinement to be a cover artist. and graduating art school means nothing. your portfolio speaks for itself. take crits with a better attitude. you are not getting better with this high and mighty routine. good luck.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to misledtomisery For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    What Giacomo said about anatomy. I looks like guesswork in some places, and your painting itself could be more.. refined. It looks blurry in some places (GhostRider's flames especially). They aren't bad and certainly have some nice areas, but overall I think they need to be stronger as a whole for Marvel covers.

Keep up!

It doesn't cost You much to leave a comment in my sketchbook, and it can help me a lot.

My new sketchbook

Follow me on facebook or WiPnation or Twitter!

Thanks
    Green Goblin cover is good... except composition is not allowing for logo placement -- the other need much refinement.

Best,
    Jason.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,683 Times in 5,021 Posts
    It's really obvious which parts you were working form reference from and which parts you weren't. So, you really need to work on both.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    I like these paintings and Cable doesn't look like he has Youngblood's Syndrome.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.