Marvel samples
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Marvel samples

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Marvel samples

Hello all!

I finally decided to join after lurking on here for awhile. I really should have joined months ago.
    So, I'm an aspiring cover artist trying to work for Marvel.

Thanks for welcoming me!
    Thanks for looking!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These look pretty good!

It's hard to offer a blanket assessment of all nine pieces, but my suggestion would be to work a bit more on penciling...the anatomy feels a bit soft and ambiguous in places, and it seems it's be easier to get that stuff worked out before you start in with the painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...Thoughts? Could you see these as actual covers? Am I on the right track?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Main thing that stands out to me is that your colors are kind of muddy. Shadows and highlights typically have other colors in them.
    Also Spiderman's right wrist is chunky.
    Not a bad start though!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The ideas behind these are great, and you have a good sense of composition and graphic design. The images are striking, and would stand out on a comic rack. Your biggest problem is that you've put the cart before the horse. You have all this design skill, but your anatomy and rendering need work. There are a lot of unconvincing hands, biceps, faces, etc. in these paintings, and until you are able to nail that stuff, it doesn't matter how fresh your compositions are. Particularly for comics, your anatomy skills have to be rock solid.

I'm not saying this to discourage you. Quite the opposite. You've got an eye for design and visual storytelling, which is something a lot of guys who can draw like they're copying out of an anatomy book will never have. That's a good thing. Once you get your drawing chops up, that eye will put you ahead of the pack. But I think you need to forget about thinking up cool covers for a while and get back to basics. Draw and draw and keep drawing, get an anatomy book, take a life drawing class if you can afford it. Sketch from photos if you can't. And keep hanging out here at CA. There's a lot of amazing guys who can teach you a lot here.

Most important. Keep it up. You're good, and you can get better.

Nathan's Journal

http://sabrepunk.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Nathan- I appreciate your comments,but are we looking at the same things,lol? You make it seem like I'm not a well-rounded artist. I don't see what you're going on about. I've actually graduated from art college, taken drawing classes, and I've studied Norman Rockwell extensively.
    My rendering,yes, can be tighter,and the anatomy is slightly off in some places,but certainly not in the way you described it.
    But I respect your opinion. Thank you.
    I'll post more work soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nathan's comments are well founded and likewise his advice is sound.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Leroy!
    You're definately on the right track. SOme images read really well for a cover and got great potention.
    What I think your work needs most atm is some better blending. It often Looks kinda sloppy and you got a lot of hard edges in your blending. Use a softer brush to achieve some smoother effects in your images and clean up some of your outer edges. Besides that you could work on your choice of colour. Take the second one. You use black in her hair. That's pretty awkward there. Instead pick a much saturated dark blonder and use that. Now you're colour scheme looks pretty dead whilewhen you avoid colours like black and alike you can achieve a much profound colourscheme. Also be sure to add some castshadows. For example in the 7th image I imagine there would be some sort of shadow cast from the spikeys of that guys helmet. Last comment would be to use a slightly larger value range in some of your images. Especially in the first one all colours kinda blend into eacher and don't read very well. Experiment with some rim lights and use a slightly larger value ranger whilst avoind black at all times.
    Anyway you're on the right track man hope this was usefull. Take care.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Oosterling View Post
    Nathan- I appreciate your comments,but are we looking at the same things,lol? You make it seem like I'm not a well-rounded artist. I don't see what you're going on about. I've actually graduated from art college, taken drawing classes, and I've studied Norman Rockwell extensively.
    My rendering,yes, can be tighter,and the anatomy is slightly off in some places,but certainly not in the way you described it.
    But I respect your opinion. Thank you.
    I'll post more work soon.
    i cant believe youd throw a completely legit critique about your work right back into the face of someone taking the time to comment. nathan was spot on to say the composition of your pieces is great, but the anatomy and rendering are not strong. at all. if you are so confident, why even ask for crits? if you dont want advice, dont ask. and bump your own post. im not sure if this is a joke or what, but you need tons of refinement to be a cover artist. and graduating art school means nothing. your portfolio speaks for itself. take crits with a better attitude. you are not getting better with this high and mighty routine. good luck.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to misledtomisery For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What Giacomo said about anatomy. I looks like guesswork in some places, and your painting itself could be more.. refined. It looks blurry in some places (GhostRider's flames especially). They aren't bad and certainly have some nice areas, but overall I think they need to be stronger as a whole for Marvel covers.

Keep up!

It doesn't cost You much to leave a comment in my sketchbook, and it can help me a lot.

My new sketchbook

Follow me on facebook or WiPnation or Twitter!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Green Goblin cover is good... except composition is not allowing for logo placement -- the other need much refinement.

Best,
    Jason.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's really obvious which parts you were working form reference from and which parts you weren't. So, you really need to work on both.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like these paintings and Cable doesn't look like he has Youngblood's Syndrome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright I'll try to do my best and give you some critiques.

Your rendering in certain areas is too loose, and they seem to only be thumbnail versions of what they should be in my opinion. You should work on your color relativity as you seem to often have highlights be cooler than your shadows. Also you might want to stop depending on white for highlights. Because usually when you blend it with colors it bleaches them out and you end up with a kinda "meh" result.

You may want to try working in Grays to help you concentrait on your rendering (similar to Mike Mayhew) http://mikemayhew.deviantart.com/art...e-33-147756758 (example)

Don't be afraid of doing line work. Sometimes you really need it to define an edge.

Personally I'd like to see more of your set up for these pieces, Your thumbnails and your sketches.

Hope I helped.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On the first one:

-His head is bulbous on the left side. (Our left)
    -His left arm (Our left) from shoulder to elbow is longer than his right
    -His hands appear to be two different sizes, and the rendering on the right is poor and makes it look boneless and deformed.
    -The card he's holding to his face looks correct, but on the other one, the ACE symbol is not centered on the card, and though the card looks like it's at an angle, the symbol remains face on. There is no perspective to it.

On the second one:
    -None of the lenses on her mask are round enough or precise enough. You should draw them using a circle template if you are painting traditionally or the circle marquee tool in photoshop.
    -You have left the edges of her jaw very rough and unfinished
    -The shoulder of the character with red eyes looks like it is unfinished
    -All the figures could use sharpening and more detail

On the third one:
    -The man's arm is out of proportion and has no details or convincing musculature
    -His human hand looks twice as big as his metal hand
    -The metal hand looks formless and soft - like an empty glove
    -The white highlights on his shoulders and neck are sloppily done and need to be refined
    -The baby's neck and jaw have no definition

On the forth one:
    -You have used so much glow that it's hard to see what's going on, but:
    -His arms seem short
    -It looks like you've only drawn half the tsuba on the left (Our left) sword
    -I can't see where his jaw would be under his mask
    -His right hand (Our right) is round and formless, like an inflated rubber glove
    -The knives look like they're supposed to be a matched set, but the one held in his left hand (Our left) is quite a bit longer than the one in his right, even though its in front of it.
    -The knife in his right hand (our right) seems to be missing its pommel. Nothing is coming out of the back end of his fist.
    -With the way his hands are held, it would be impossible for the knife in his left hand (Our left) to be in back of the other knife

I would be happy to give you details on all the rest if you like. Just let me know. I am only pointing out on the things that I, a hobby-level-artist, can see and define. If you got a critique from one of the guys who does this for a living, I'm sure they could be more helpful about subtleties of proportion, anatomy, modeling and color that you need work on than I could. Good luck!

Nathan's Journal

http://sabrepunk.com/

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NathanLong For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nathan was spot on and gave a very generous critique. Leroy, you'd do well to take his advice to heart. Whether you have gone to art college or studied Rockwell (I sure hope you studied more than Rockwell, btw) is absolutely irrelevant. All that matters is the images. And some of these images will be severely lacking in terms of rendering and anatomy in the eyes of Marvel (I can see exactly where you copied reference and where you tried to draw from imagination... nothing wrong with using reference, but I shouldn't be able to tell). Your designs have some good things going for them, but are hindered by these problems.

I say start a sketchbook on CA. Do anatomy studies and paintings every day. Get critique and BE OPEN to the critique. When you can do something comprabale to this,

come back to the finally finished forum. Normally I wouldn't post images in this manner, but it seems as though you may need a reminder of who you're competing with.

You are not yet the "well-rounded artist" that you describe yourself as, but you may be on the right track to becoming that if and only if you can put aside your pride and take critiques to heart. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's just the way it is.

Last edited by Ian Barker; December 24th, 2009 at 04:51 PM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Threads merged.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My post got deleted? Oh well -might come on again tonight to type it up again

Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, itís a very cheesy response but itís true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -BjÝrn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.