Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 70

Thread: drawntz

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    91
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 41 Times in 10 Posts

    drawntz

    New sketchbook and a fresh start. These are studies completed today. Any feedback is appreciated.

    Attachment 861169
    Attachment 861171
    Last edited by jonmorris; April 7th, 2010 at 02:41 AM.


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    478
    Thanks
    311
    Thanked 162 Times in 74 Posts
    Looks good, a great start. The details and shading on the top guy's face is good but it looks like the proportions are off a little. His left eye looks too close to his nose compared to the right eye, and it looks too low as well. His head is tilted so it should be slighly lower, but i think its just a TAD bit too low. The nose, right eye, and mouth all look great though. Hope this was helpful! Keep up the good work! (the other stone guy on the bottom looks fine, I couldnt think of any critiques for it)

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to ChristianWeeks For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    91
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 41 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianWeeks View Post
    Looks good, a great start. The details and shading on the top guy's face is good but it looks like the proportions are off a little. His left eye looks too close to his nose compared to the right eye, and it looks too low as well. His head is tilted so it should be slighly lower, but i think its just a TAD bit too low. The nose, right eye, and mouth all look great though. Hope this was helpful! Keep up the good work! (the other stone guy on the bottom looks fine, I couldnt think of any critiques for it)
    You're right the slant of the eyes doesn't match the nose and mouth. I should have seen that before I started finishing the drawing. Still working on my proportioning. That's a portrait of Francis Bacon if anyone is interested. Struggled with it quite a bit.

    The bust was drawn much more quickly, and I think was an easier subject. Everything was simply laid out as opposed to doing a real human face.

    Thank you Christian.

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    478
    Thanks
    311
    Thanked 162 Times in 74 Posts
    np, and welcome to the forums!

  7. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NM for now
    Posts
    317
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 63 Times in 53 Posts
    Don't be shy, post some more. The bust that was drawn, does look like the lines are fluid and have a variety of line sensitivity. And the wings too. It's really a good thing that when you start your drawings you draw lightly and then transition to more darks. The portrait there is a good start, just be aware of your values. As there isn't much range from dark to lights. Otherwise great job man and keep it up.
    You can visit me at my new blog Musings & Quips of an Artist

    I'm out to conquer the world equipped with a pencil, digital paint and a
    Sketchbook
    and when I do achieve that goal...I'll conquer the moon too


    "When you draw nervously you end up with a nervous drawing, so drawing strongly produces lines filled with vitality"- Nightow Yasuhiro

    "Use the ability you already have, and use it, and use it, and make it develop itself."-Robert Henri

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to sanakris For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    91
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 41 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sanakris View Post
    Don't be shy, post some more. The bust that was drawn, does look like the lines are fluid and have a variety of line sensitivity. And the wings too. It's really a good thing that when you start your drawings you draw lightly and then transition to more darks. The portrait there is a good start, just be aware of your values. As there isn't much range from dark to lights. Otherwise great job man and keep it up.
    Thank you Sanakris. No worries, I'm not shy nor sensitive to critique. The entire point of the sketchbook is to improve my drawing skills and get what help this website can provide. I did the portrait on smooth paper with a mechanical pencil. May have been a mistake. I like the way it smudges but found shading with any sort of gradation difficult. Not that my shading is normally flawless. I'd like to improve it along with everything else.

    And thanks Christian. I'm actually not new to the forums, just decided to start over and hold myself to a higher standard. This is my second sketchbook.

    I had some more time today so did another study. This took about an hour and a half I believe. The foreshortening in the right leg gave me the most trouble. Overall I had allot of difficulty. I need to practice figure drawing more often.

    Attachment 861431

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Just one thing I saw about your latest figure right away is that her right arm and leg (viewer's left) look kind of short and spindly compared to the rest of the body. But I think it looks pretty good besides that.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Gray For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    91
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 41 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Gray View Post
    Just one thing I saw about your latest figure right away is that her right arm and leg (viewer's left) look kind of short and spindly compared to the rest of the body. But I think it looks pretty good besides that.
    Wow you're right. That arm looks like it's about ready to snap off. I think I can fix that, but that leg is killing me.

  13. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The Sunshine State
    Posts
    1,598
    Thanks
    1,105
    Thanked 226 Times in 174 Posts
    You'll get better at it, for sure. If you work at it. Or you could be like me and laze around for year and a half...

    luckily we have leeway in childhood to slack; but im glad I got out of it. Best advice is to never stop; always do a drawing a day. And study what you suck at. No use studying for a test you can already pass.

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Charm City: Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    119
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 108 Times in 43 Posts
    Hi, Jon--

    I checked your skbook out *specifically* since I saw our pal, Francis Bacon, in the preview avatar...so it looks like him! (It is wonky, though, and you want to make sure that any Wonk you show is intentional.) But I definitely like the drawing.

    You're investigating the right things with your female life drawing. Keep an eye out for your proportions and your marks:

    Proportions: Measure, measure, measure. Her lower half feels small and jammed-in to fit the bottom edge of your paper. An amazingly useful, quick trick is this: Make little (erasable) lines, as your first marks, to mark the top and bottom of your figure. Next, make a mark exactly halfway between them. Now use a pencil or short dowel to measure the figure in real life, and notice where the halfway point is on the figure. Also using your measuring tool, check relative lengths, like: How many heads high?, The upper arm is the same length as?, etc. Then you can check angles from life to drawing using the measuring tool. You're going to find that, using those techniques and an unflinching willingness to erase, that proportions are just a matter of time and effort--and no big deal.

    Also, flip your paper as you work and keep a small mirror with you. Proportional problems will jump out at you, and you'll know where to focus your efforts.

    The female life drawing has some nice passages: Her left upper arm is good, as is her left torso and breast area. The head's pretty good too, but the eye is a little low and left and her nose-to-chin area is a bit compressed. I can tell you paid a lot of attention to her legs--just keep measuring.

    As for marks: think longer, planar/angular lines at first. When those structural underdrawing lines accurately reflect the proportions you can go over them with the approproate "line-quality" lines and you can avoid the Hairy Drawing Look. Also, keep practicing your shading/hatching. You might want to look into doing some charcoal Ground Drawings so you can think about areas of light and shadow (and how they relate to form, weight, and volume) without bringing hatching into it.

    Keep it up!

    Cheers,

    Nick

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rusko-berger For This Useful Post:


  16. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    91
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 41 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    You'll get better at it, for sure. If you work at it. Or you could be like me and laze around for year and a half...

    luckily we have leeway in childhood to slack; but im glad I got out of it. Best advice is to never stop; always do a drawing a day. And study what you suck at. No use studying for a test you can already pass.
    Absolutely. My intentions are to do just that. Unfortunately I've been slacking much more than a year and a half and my childhood is far behind me.

    But Francis Bacon was 35 when he blossomed and Beksiński was approaching his 50s when he first decided to become a painter. I'm out of excuses.

  17. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    91
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 41 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rusko-berger View Post
    Hi, Jon--

    I checked your skbook out *specifically* since I saw our pal, Francis Bacon, in the preview avatar...so it looks like him! (It is wonky, though, and you want to make sure that any Wonk you show is intentional.) But I definitely like the drawing.

    You're investigating the right things with your female life drawing. Keep an eye out for your proportions and your marks:

    Proportions: Measure, measure, measure. Her lower half feels small and jammed-in to fit the bottom edge of your paper. An amazingly useful, quick trick is this: Make little (erasable) lines, as your first marks, to mark the top and bottom of your figure. Next, make a mark exactly halfway between them. Now use a pencil or short dowel to measure the figure in real life, and notice where the halfway point is on the figure. Also using your measuring tool, check relative lengths, like: How many heads high?, The upper arm is the same length as?, etc. Then you can check angles from life to drawing using the measuring tool. You're going to find that, using those techniques and an unflinching willingness to erase, that proportions are just a matter of time and effort--and no big deal.

    Also, flip your paper as you work and keep a small mirror with you. Proportional problems will jump out at you, and you'll know where to focus your efforts.

    The female life drawing has some nice passages: Her left upper arm is good, as is her left torso and breast area. The head's pretty good too, but the eye is a little low and left and her nose-to-chin area is a bit compressed. I can tell you paid a lot of attention to her legs--just keep measuring.

    As for marks: think longer, planar/angular lines at first. When those structural underdrawing lines accurately reflect the proportions you can go over them with the approproate "line-quality" lines and you can avoid the Hairy Drawing Look. Also, keep practicing your shading/hatching. You might want to look into doing some charcoal Ground Drawings so you can think about areas of light and shadow (and how they relate to form, weight, and volume) without bringing hatching into it.

    Keep it up!

    Cheers,

    Nick
    Thank you very much! I'll have to refer back to this tomorrow. I do the classic beginners mistake over and over jumping into the drawing before I know where everything going. I'll give these steps a shot. Really appreciate it.

    And Bacon's the man. Figured why not kick off the sketchbook with one of my favorite artists.

  18. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    INDIA
    Posts
    801
    Thanks
    143
    Thanked 196 Times in 195 Posts
    nice,,, do daily sketching...! goodluck.

  19. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    95
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 44 Times in 18 Posts
    First and foremost, good on ya for starting a new sketchbook.

    As mentioned, proportions proportions, and proportions. As a general rule of thumb, work on the whole first before getting into the bits. If the whole doesn't work, it doesn't matter how well you render the details. A portrait can have really beautifully rendered eyes, but unless they're at the correct places, its not gonna work.

    One of the things that help is to block in the overall shape of the subject first. Work lightly so it's easy to erase and make changes. Get a feel of the overall proportions first before committing to any lines. This can be blocked out either the edges between the background and the subject, or the edges of geometrical shapes you observe in the subject itself.

    Another thing is to not be reluctant to make changes. If you know something isn't right, fix it. The eye's too low? Make it higher. Another reason to work light first and solve the problems of proportions in the initial stages so it doesn't come back and slap you in the face after you spent time rendering. It really sucks when you spent so much time and effort rendering only to have a problem with proportions pop right up.

    These are just advice I picked up/got reminded of from reading around the forums the last couple of days. I've been trying to skip too many steps in my drawings, and I ended up suffering from frustration/disappointment and lack of confidence/motivation.

    Keep up the good work. Draw more. :
    @drd: "No use studying for a test you can already pass" I like that quote

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Yang87 For This Useful Post:


  21. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    91
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 41 Times in 10 Posts
    Thank you bharat and Yang.

    Today's studies. A still life and line drawing from photo reference. The still life could have been better. I should probably go back and fix the bottle, or try the bottle again in the future. The ballet dancers I drew side by side with the reference doing plenty of measuring and erasing. Didn't even think I'd be able to draw it but line by line measuring, erasing, redrawing eventually it came together. Her legs are too long which wasn't initially intentional but left to add more of a sense of motion.

    Attachment 861843
    Attachment 861846

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Developed Actively by the makers of the Best Amazon Podcast