Thanks

Guy gets his apartment trashed and $40000 of stuff stolen, NEEDS YOUR HELP!

Okay...let me explain the situation.

Basically, some guy in Houston, Texas was renting an apartment from the legacy pines complex, run by this parent company, the mid-american aparment communities: http://www.maac.net/

A week before his lease expired the manager, Melissa O'Malley, called in the painters to repaint his apartment while he was out. They broke into his apartment and proceeded to completely trash it. When he returned, he found that the apartment had been repainted, most of his stuff stolen, and that which wasn't stolen was destroyed. Moreover, the destruction was overtly malicious in that they went so far as to gather up electronic equipment and smash it or dunk it in water, dump paint all over it, tear it apart, rip pages and covers off books, etc.

The neighbors also witnessed the incident, identified the men responsible, their vehicle, saw them carrying merchandise out and making noises smashing things inside, and so on.

Anyway, the apartment manager Meilssa O'Malley lied to the victim's face about the whole thing and gave him the run-around, so he went to upper management. Then upper management gave HIM the run-around.

Now here's where WE come in...the victim of the theft has taken photos of all the damages and written up his account of the events which may be viewed here: http://diepilot.org/gallery/thieves

Basically, SPREAD THE WORD of this incident. The more eyeballs that are drawn to the photos and the more people that know about it, the better chance that there will be something done about this. (Furthermore, this just might blow the lid off of other similar incidents at other apartment complexes...possibly a ring of property thieves using apartment complexes as a cover for their activity, and legal run-arounds as their defense.)

Additionally, he's going to be going to the upper-upper management, the VP-guys, and he'll be able to point to his site and the viewcount ont he photos. If it's in the 10'000s and stuff, he'll have that much more leverage when arguing his side.

So...if you have a forum you frequent that you can post this on, post it there. If you have some spare time, type up an email explaining your feelings over the incident and send it to the MAAC at info@maac.net ! Tell your friends, especially people who are looking for apartments.

Additional information may also be found here: http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...834&m=50810542

And here: http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...m=188002581021

Also, I should add that I found out about all this from someone else who spread the word on another forum.
    Last edited by DanSTC; February 1st, 2004 at 10:43 PM.
    Art student
    ~Livin' large at Watts Atelier.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Some more stuff, here's a synopsis of the story from his mouth:

This is what happened to me at Legacy Pines Apartments in Houston, Texas. Although I paid my rent on time every month, had zero complaints from my neighbors, and was generally a good egg, the management - in the form of one Melissa O'Malley - decided to allow their maintenence workers and painters into the place fully a week before the lease ended. When I went to the office to ask why the apartment had been painted, in fact, why anyone from their staff had been in the apartment at all, Melissa looked me right in the eye and lied about the entire situation. She fumbled through some paperwork in someone else's office, pretending to look for records of anyone having been in the apartment with their permission, then after 15 or 20 seconds came out and said there was no record of anyone in their employ having been given permission to be in the apartment at all. It was only when the police obtained a statement from the complex manager that I learned that the actual order to enter the apartment had been given by the very same Melissa O'Malley who had claimed no knowledge of the events. When I asked her to call the complex manager, Melissa Jett, she flatly refused by saying, "Melissa absolutely does not work on the weekend." When I asserted that the circumstances seemed to require that a representitive of the complex at least come look at the apartment, I was treated like a petulant child. Melissa (O'Malley) said, "Sir, that's NOT my job, and furthermore, I don't care. Call the police or do whatever you think you have to do, but this isn't my problem." Indeed, the treatment of this issue by the staff at Legacy Pines and their immediate superior within Mid-America Apartment Communities only amplifies Melissa's uncaring attitude. I can say without a doubt that if I exhibited even a shadow of Melissa's incompetence, level of intentional dishonesty, and total disregard for procedure, I'd be out of work so fast it'd be sick. That Mid-America chooses to not only employ, but to reward people like this with continued employment, is rather sad. The photos in this gallery are documentation of the wreckage left behind by their staff, and are the same exact photos given to the police to augment those that they took. Over $40,000 in computer equipment, books, home electronics, media and other goods were stolen or damaged beyond repair through deliberate immersion in water, being used by the painters to catch paint, or by simple smashing. They have offered compensation to the tune of $500. Insulting, to say the least.
    Last edited by DanSTC; February 1st, 2004 at 06:22 PM.
    Art student

Thanks
    Good god, that's fucking sick.

I'll spread the word as best I can. Mind if I copy your initial post?
    Last edited by lavhoes; February 1st, 2004 at 07:04 PM.

Thanks
    they even took his copy of Undercover Brother.
    savages. sue everyone

Thanks
    Originally posted by lavhoes
    Good god, that's fucking sick.

I'll spread the word as best I can. Mind if I copy your initial post?
    Uh, sure. Go ahead.

Also, he says he doesn't care about losing the other stuff so much as he cares about losing a lot of the stuff that he got from his Grandma, which he'll likely now never see again.
    Art student

Thanks
    Oh dude, thats awefull. Yep that is FUCKIN SICK!

thta has just pissed me off mightely.:bash:
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.