critiques and advice really appreciated!! :)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

critiques and advice really appreciated!! :)

I had an idea for this sort of painting, but this perspective is really new to me, and I have no idea how to go about situating the elements.
    Advice on general perspective work is welcome, but I'd really like critique and advice focused on this piece. The image submitted is simply a quick sketch for me to know where I'm going to put everything.

I also realise that the fishing rod should be curving the other way- I'll fix that on the final version.

The character is an animal crossing avatar, hence why its proportions aren't realistic.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is an intersting perspective. I am somewhat confused by it, I will admit.

I get the feeling that you are going for a waterline view of a fish being caught, which would be rather cool, actually. The only way I can discribe it is like a fish eye lens on a camera. If that is the case, you might benefit by doing a google search on fish eye lens, just to see how that lens distorts pictures. I say that because the water, in the lower right, looks a bit confused to me.

I would say that you have a great start here, and this should be a fantastic painting once it's finished.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to darkwolf29a For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like where this is headed. My biggest issue however, is the fish. I like the perspective a lot, but the fish breaks the great flow of the curve of the fishing line.

I would suggest making the spine of the fish continue on that same curve.

Also, you really need a reference for the fish, the person, and the pond. The person is very basic, so I can't tell if you intend to fix the anatomy at all (The upper arm is WAY too short). The pond looks like it's standing up rather than laying flat. So try working on the perspective for it.

You've done great creating a really energetic mood though and I know this will be really good once you've finished!

I bite

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteWingedDemon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update!

Thank you so much for the advice!!

Okay! So I looked at some fish eye lens photos to understand abit more of what's going on myself. http://andrewu.ca/gallery/main.php?g...serialNumber=2 <-- this link displays what I want to achieve a bit more closely.

I decided to change the scene to a sunset, as I thought I could create a bit more drama that way.The water was also fixed a bit, and I tried to 'stretch' the ends a bit. I think I'll bring in green into the water, like I accidentally did on the right side. It looks better, like a reflection.

I will do my research for the fish, I just drew a dandom one to block in where it's going to go.
    And.... what started as an 'Animal Crossing' character ends up looking less like it. I think I'll just draw a normal kid... :/

Please advise me on what you can see, or what could make my painting better!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes!!!!! I like it.

I think you are on the right track, and I'm glad that I could help out here. I think that this image will be fantastic when you are done.

I would like to see more definition in here, but I'm sure that is coming.

I love fish, and this is a very good start. I''m not sure whether you are going for hyperrealism, but I imagine not...based upon the details that I do see here. So, I wouldn't get hung up on all that details of a fish, but I do think that would help you with your characterization of the fish, itself.

You do have a fantastic painting working here. I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to darkwolf29a For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The boy's pose doesn't really have very much action in it. It's more like he's casually turning to pull the fish out. I'd say make the boy a bit smaller like in the original thumb (other stuff looks good) and use the fishing rod as an extension of his line of action, making an "S" curve out of the combination. Something like this:

Name:  redline 03.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  124.2 KB

A bit crude, but I think you get the idea. The stronger those opposing curves are, especially the upper curve of the pole, the greater the energy in the motion. Like a bow being pulled back, the bend reflects the tension. I think that, combined with the fish you've got, would create a nicely dynamic situation that you can work with.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nezumi Works For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you so much!!

@nezumi works: In your red lines you've drawn the arms holding the fishing rod upwards, right? It was a bit hard to see at first. And I will definitively put more energy into the pose! Thank you very much for the input!

@darkwolf29a: Thank you very much for the support. I'm thinking of making the fish a koi, or a similar species.

I will update soon with a clearer idea of the painting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right. Sorry it wasn't very clear. I do most of my drawing with pencil & paper, so the tablet sometimes isn't the most intuitive. But yeah, you want a nice, strong line of action for the unit of boy and pole, with a good deal of tension in the pole especially. The kid's strength and movement is transferred through the pole, and opposed by the fish on the line. So the strong "C" of the boy combined with an opposing, even deeper "C" of the pole makes an "S" curve for the combination. Does that make sense?

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Nezumi Works For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As far as the perspective goes, there is one thing that I particularly loved about your initial attempt that you seem to have left out in the later versions. In the first, the camera angle is directed DOWNWARD on the fisherman. Now, we're looking up at him instead, which adds a little less action to the scene for me. If you place the fish higher than the fisherman, and make the fisherman's perspective look like we're looking down on him, then I think it would be even better. However, it definitely is a bit more difficult, and what you currently have IS off to a great start. Good luck!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SquirrelsRSneaky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the first one still had the camera looking up at him, as opposed to downwards.

Your latest version is a big improvement, but as Nezumi mentioned the pose could show more tension and movement. I think that some foreshortening could also help a lot. The perspective suggest that we are looking at the boy at about ankle height as far as I can tell, so I think his proportions should recede a little as we move towards the head.

I think this will be really nice when it's done, looking forwards to seeing more!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Avvatar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update!

OK, so I've re-sketched the figure into a more dynamic pose, and the boy looks much older now. Please help me correct any mistakes I might've done.

Also, does the boy look to close to the water now?

And I can't seem to find any pictures of fish bellies... And I'm still indecisive about what kind of fish it should be. I think I might just end up painting a giant goldfish! xD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gettin' there, that's for sure. For one thing, I like how prominent the fish is. Heck, you could even enlarge it a bit on the right side, really push the size difference in perspective with the boy.

For the boy, you're on the right track. I think you should have the back leaned into his action more, though. As it is, his energy is entirely coming from the shoulders, when you've got the opportunity to throw his whole body into it. Have him really lean into the right leg, straighten the other out a bit, bracing himself, and he changes from pulling the fish out to hauling it out. Toss in some of that foreshortening Avvatar mentioned and bring the fish around that curve a bit more, and you've got a really dramatic event going on.

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Nezumi Works For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a bit confused, do you mean HIS right leg? Or the right leg as we see it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    His right, sorry. Basically, he's pulling away from the riverbank (or pond, or whatever body of water), so he'd put his weight on the foot furthest from it.

The piece is looking stronger every time you post, I think you've got a good thing going here.

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Nezumi Works For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to be back on track after a couple of weeks -College coursework needed to be done! x(

Alright... I really need help with the boy from the torso down. I tried to fix the legs, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right. If someone was able to give me some red lines, I'd be rally grateful!

Thank you in advance.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, you had it closer on the version previous to this, but his body's weight should be more thrusted on his right leg, so close though!!

btw, I like this one a lot

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.