Anatomy problems
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Anatomy problems

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Anatomy problems

First of all: Hello, I'm new
    I've been lurking on this forum for quite some time but just decided today to sign up.

My main problem is anatomy. I almost never finish a picture; I sketch a lot, when I *happen* to draw something promising I continue refining, search photo references, correct as much as I can and after a few days I get bored, realize the picture is messed up and abandon it (I know it's bad...). I almost never get to the stage of coloring.

As for this sketch:
    1. Main problem - LEGS, or actually her right leg, I realize her right hip should be lower than left (because she's standing on the left leg and the right is more relaxed, if i'm wrong then correct me please), but after many tries I still have problem drawing that.
    2. Right arm - she's supposed to be saluting (I hope that's visible), dunno if the perspective for this arm is ok.

I found photo references for the right arm (though not the perfect ones), I couldn't find references for the body or the legs

Critics & paintovers welcome, please point out everything that's wrong. Would be great if you could tell which pose (number) looks the most normal (if any at all...).

Thanks

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not to seem harsh, but: you need to find some actual photo reference for the pose you're trying to reproduce. Making minor changes to your drawing will not help, because right now you seem completely lost as to how the large masses of the body—head, ribcage, pelvis, limbs—relate to each other.

In the long term, you'd do well to learn about contrapposto—basically, how the masses of the body shift as the person's weight shifts from one leg to another—which will help resolve questions like the one you're asking. In the short term (again)—find some photo reference.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Giacomo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foxtrot Wolfwhistle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like Shakira. Hehe!!

I think you have the same tendancy I have, to do outline statements. You can spend effort in perfect curves, applealing outline but the other elements lose out. construction, time spent on figuring out the folumes etc.

Keep at it man, you have something in the toolbox but you need the other stuff that goes with it.

Advice I find hard to follow myself is maybe not to draw woman for anatomy study. Nah, screw that. Hehehe!!

----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to George Abraham For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What stands out to me is that her weight is centered so her spine should be over her ankles but in your drawings her lower body is too far forward. The upper body looks pretty good but from the waist down it needs to be moved back. Also look at reference for her knees, right now they are missing. And her feet are alittle small.

To find out what her back leg is doing, draw the leg whole. What I mean by that is sketch through the front leg then erase once the back leg is complete. If you can't find a photo of a woman in the pose you want, use yourself in a mirror. Even if you're a guy or not not her body type, stand pantsless on your toes in front of a mirror to see how much of your back leg/foot you'll see. Don't guess.

I'm attaching a paint over using the reference sheet that I have. Oh and btw "something between front and side view" is called 3/4 view

Attached Images Attached Images    

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Amber Alexander For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Big thanks for all the comments! They all are very helpful and made me realize I totally need to rethink and remake this picture all over, and practice more anatomy as well. I was staring at this drawing for so long that I didn't know anymore what's wrong with it. Thanks for useful links and female proportions, I'll make sure to use them next time
    Will post in a few days, when I'll come up to something with this picture

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.